Sign in to follow this  
Lem2222

Clan names on profile.

It seems to me that this new forum lacks the option to put your clan name on the profile. Will tif put back that option? :-k

Moved to Forum Updates & Suggestions.

~Rcty

Rcty

And your RS username...

If we're gonna implement the clan thingy, can we make them linkable, as it has been brought up (with positive support) before?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

...can we make them linkable...
What would it link to? RuneHead? A list of other members in the same clan? The clan's website?

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

What would it link to? RuneHead? A list of other members in the same clan? The clan's website?

Whatever we choose. If people are worried about getting linked to a malicious site, we can always make it so that they just put in the topic ID for their recruitment topic.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Whatever we choose. If people are worried about getting linked to a malicious site, we can always make it so that they just put in the topic ID for their recruitment topic.

Well said... Anywho, I'll be waiting very patiently for the return of those custom fields for "RS Name" and "RS Clan"... They're worth having, but only after other major problems are fixed. =;

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I'd like to see it linked to RuneHead, as not all clans have topics in Recruitment forums on TIF for various reasons (in example currently not accepting new members). RuneHead has the link to the clan's website, but it gives people a chance to consider whether or not a clan is serious before choosing to click said link.

Laikrob,

TIp.It Moderator.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

I'd like to see it linked to RuneHead, as not all clans have topics in Recruitment forums on TIF for various reasons (in example currently not accepting new members). RuneHead has the link to the clan's website, but it gives people a chance to consider whether or not a clan is serious before choosing to click said link.

Laikrob,

TIp.It Moderator.

And if a clan doesn't have a RuneHead?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Laikrob,

TIp.It Moderator.

And if a clan doesn't have a RuneHead?

It looks like no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to include everybody unless we allow people to input whatever link they want (in which case we'd have to make sure that the feature could not be abused by linking to keyloggers, etc.).

Not everybody uses RuneHead and not everybody uses the Tip.it Clan Recruitment section.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

in which case we'd have to make sure that the feature could not be abused by linking to keyloggers, etc.

What's the difference between that and me putting a link in my signature (or a post even) to a bad site? So long as the regular censors (no linking to executables + the list of known bad sites) are still intact, it's not much different.

Errdoth does have a very good point there.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Tip.It should be more concerned about it linking to a recruitment topic on the forums. It's an incentive to post a recruitment topic on here, and currently or so I thought clans were trying to make a come back here? It only makes sense for that, even if they aren't accepting new members, it would still be a post on the site, and the link would always be 'forum.tip.it/'.

True not everyone has RuneHead, but a good, or decent clan has 1 or 2 recruitment topics laying around, and they aren't all that hard to conjure up. The majority of clans have a recruitment topic first, and then consider RuneHead, or that's how it's put through on PC.

Free linking in the profile field would be good, but Tip.It would lose such a great opportunity for clans to start posting recruitment topics, and then start stirring the clan area some more.

Errdoth has battled that point for too long, but it is true. If Tip.It does decide on allowing it be free linking, people will only click on it if they do not know the clan and seem interested enough to find out more about it, or just for references, or hot-linking for others. After that, it will only be for symbolic purposes, 'He's in clan AExample'. Which if someone decided to put in a malicious link it wouldn't be that bad as in a signature, as long as they didn't change the clan name several times over.

in which case we'd have to make sure that the feature could not be abused by linking to keyloggers, etc.

What's the difference between that and me putting a link in my signature (or a post even) to a bad site? So long as the regular censors (no linking to executables + the list of known bad sites) are still intact, it's not much different.

That's what I meant by making sure it cannot be abused. I'm not really sure how the whole thing would be set up, but we would have to make sure that the censor is still in place and that anything with executable files or other dangerous file types like are forbidden, like you said.

One of the differences between posting a bad site on the forums and putting one in the clan field is that some spammers don't take the time to disguise their links. They just say, "Visit this site: ." Whereas with the clan fields it will already be disguised for them and some people don't take the extra step of double checking the URL before clicking it.

..if that makes sense.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

One of the differences between posting a bad site on the forums and putting one in the clan field is that some spammers don't take the time to disguise their links. They just say, "Visit this site: ." Whereas with the clan fields it will already be disguised for them and some people don't take the extra step of double checking the URL before clicking it.

If TIF wanted to be protective, for the first week, in red, there could be some sort of message to always double check the links, underneath the field.

Have a thread in the clan forum. It can be moderated by one of the guys there. A clan applies to have there clan linkable in the Clan: part of our profile. I don;t know if this is possible but it would allow for a mod to check the site first and approve it before allowing to to become a link. As trip said, whatever u click on the side of your post as far as the average user is concerned is safe. Having one person messing it up ruins the honesty of the whole crew. While this would not be a problem for you and I, or most people in this side of the forums, it could be huge deal to one in general where they are still gaining faith in the site.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Don't bother with a link, just set up the clan thing. If someone remembers how to do the RS name link, well, I haven't found a way of doing that yet.

Here's how it works though:

http://hiscore.runescape.com/hiscorepersonal.ws?user1=Dsavi%20X4

Dsavi X4

No, I haven't been playing RS lately, my stats are embarrassing.

C2b6gs7.png

You could do what RSC do. Their clan profile links to a memberlist on their forums, where all the members of a particular clan (who have declared their clan in their profile) can be seen. I don't know the mechanics of it and whether it could be done on this software; but it's perhaps something worth looking in to.

Offline and unavailable.

That would be very annoying to maintain, unless there was a minimum clan size for usergroup permissions. Then Usergroup leaders could manage their own, but I don't really think that would work, the Admins are busy enough.

C2b6gs7.png

Private clan forums were allowed her once, and still are I think, so it's not such a foreign idea to give users opportunities to form clans on TIF.

And I think (or I'm maybe just speculating) that the usergroups on RSC are controlled automatically: that is, once you enter a clan in your profile, you are added to the clan memberlist without confirmation.

Offline and unavailable.

I created the regular "Clan" field in profiles. We can worry about linking it later, as that's not something I can do :P

Posted Image

Don't bother with a link, just set up the clan thing. If someone remembers how to do the RS name link, well, I haven't found a way of doing that yet.

Here's how it works though:

http://hiscore.runescape.com/hiscorepersonal.ws?user1=Dsavi%20X4

Dsavi X4

No, I haven't been playing RS lately, my stats are embarrassing.

That, I think, would be an easy template edit & custom profile field. ;)

My MOD Queue and MODs - StarTrekGuide

sig-2-itsaratflail.png

I looked for a way to add links to profile fields on my own forum, but haven't found any so far. Do you know how...?

C2b6gs7.png

Yea I was thinking about the custom profile thing. And with the new skin style we got back the old profile options so thats great. THANK YOU TIF STAFF! :thumbsup: So I am done with my part, but about the custom profile I would like to continue that.