~=The Agility Arena=~

Distracted

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I should chirp in here.... good guide, but you're missing something very important...strategy!

Most people in the agility arena get to the pillar and receive their ticket, and then simply stop and wait for the next ticket. Any time you are standing still is time being wasted. The best strategy is once you have collected your ticket, always to go back to the central column (in-game this can easily be identified as the one with spin blades to the north, darts to the west, low wall to the south and pillars to the east).

The reason for this is, let's say you need to collect a ticket from one of the corners: once you have collected this ticket, and stand around for awhile, the next ticket might be one column apart from the opposite corner, 7 obstacles away. Now, that's already making it difficult for you to get the next ticket (especially if you have 40's/50's agility) and failing an obstacle a couple of times (or falling once) will mean you probably miss out.

If, however, you returned to the central column after collecting your first ticket, the next ticket would only be 3 obstacles away, giving you a much greater margin of error. By this method of always returning to the center, the furthest any ticket could be away is 4 obstacles, making it a lot easier to not miss a ticket. I have never missed a ticket using this method (apart from random events of course).

In addition, this method maximises your agility experience. For the time you are spending standing around you are essentially missing exp. If you have free-time until the next ticket, train on the low wall (which is conveniently connected to the central column). Sure, it is not much exp but still more exp than you get for standing still.

I'm going to address some things that were mentioned earlier, as I feel qualified, currently approaching my 3.5k tickets mark. Anyhow.

The poster above me has good sense. There is a platform directly in the middle of the arena which is bounded by darts to the west, spinning blades to the north, pillars to the east, and a low wall to the south. This platform should be your home. If you reset here after every ticket, as flsed says, it'll maximize both chance of tickets and xp. Also, once you've reset here, you should either go back and forth across the low wall to the south or the pillars to the east, depending on your level. Probably anyone with a level high enough to merit actually training in the arena won't fail pillars very often at all. (I wouldn't recommend starting until at least 45. seriously, you can handle 10 levels of the barbarian course, which you can start at 35. and it takes about 3 hours of gnome to get to 35, counting by my level screenies, which I think are accurate.)

And, um. xp per ticket is actually a pretty good rate. I haven't worked it out very mathematically at all, but I do kind of pay attention. I think that, per 1k xp, you get something in the vicinity of 10 tickets. So, that's 100 xp/ticket besides the 320 (352 gloves) you get from trading in 1000. And seriously? if you don't have 1000.. don't even bother trading them in.

And, in reference to tickets per hour: I consider it a bad hour if I don't get 50 tickets. You can count on at least one random every hour, and possibly more. Keep in mind that failing an obstacle is not a common occurrence for me, at 73 agility I only really fail darts. Which, by the way, I recommend trying at least if you're level 60+, but if you fail not repetitively lowering your level. so, you'll probably get fewer tickets an hour than that if you have a lower level and more if you have insane random ninja avoidance skills.

Happy agilitizing everyone :thumbup:

PS: If you're doing barb to level 45, just go ahead and get 52 and go to the wildy. The arena is a horrible place to train and I don't endorse it at all. It's slow xp, and it's not that fun after the umpteenth time. Also, it's easy to die (especially as a lvl 3) and loose a few hours worth of tickets and xp, while the wildy guarantees that any xp that you gain is yours forever. After wildy go straight to ape atoll at level 70, it's all far more sensible than this is.

Here we are, born to be kings

We're the princes of the universe

Here we belong, fighting to survive

In a world with the darkest powers

dont think so.. unless your agility level is really low such that you wont be able to do certain obstacles.

anyway i really dont recommend trying the darts.. if there's still time left, just go around it. it also helps if you've a clock somewhere, so you can tell how many seconds. this is useful if you're going from corner to corner, and get stuck at the blades at 5sec left. really no point trying anymore and just wait for the next pillar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I remember getting a big bunch of tickets trying to get 1000 tickets and most of them were over level 50 (I think I did everything to 59 from about 52 there lol), and while some'll argue it's better to go to the barbarian outpost to get those levels, you might enjoy the agility arena more then you would doing the same lap over and over. But this depends on you, as I think the Barbarian Outpost might be faster, but maybe if you get just 100 tickets it'll be enough to get 50.

Well, whatever you pick, good luck :)

73HP = 5 damage

From 59 HP = 4 damage

From 39 = 3 damage

-20 = 2 damage

The only thing I can think of this is that 60+ HP is 5 damage, 59 - 40 is 4 damage, 39 - 20 is 3 damage and under 20 is 2 damage, which kinda makes sense. Just tell me your thoughts on this, I'll put it in the first post.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, welcome to my first real guide. Before we start, I'd like to thank pirate_felix for giving me this idea.

This guide covers the Agility Arena. The Agility Arena is an underrated way to train Agility, but it's, in my humble opinion, the most fun. It may not be the fastest training, but the rewards are worth it. If you collect 1000 tickets you get 320,000 XP. That's from 0 xp to level 61! And Karamja Gloves 2 or 3 give a 10% on top of that! And by the time you actually collect 1000 tickets, you'll have gained a few levels from just doing the course.

There's one downside: it requires constant attention. You can still chat with friends or on a clan chat, of course, but your eyes must always stay on the game. It also requires a lot of patience, it often occurs that you get to the right platform in time, but the arrow moves just as you run to tag the pillar. You will also fail the obstacles a lot, even people with 90+ Agility fail the obstacles.

First of all, a small index on what you'll find in this guide:

1. What is the Agility Arena and how do I get there?

2. The obstacles

--- 2.1 Damage rates

--- 2.2 Lvl 1+ obstacles

--- 2.3 Lvl 20+ obstacles

--- 2.4 Lvl 40+ obstacles

3. Playing the game

--- 3.1 Set-up

--- 3.2 How to play

--- 3.3 Some numbers

4. Rewards

5. Tips and hints

1. What is the Agility Arena and how do I get there?

The Agility Arena is a cave found by Cap'n Izzy No-Beard. He will let anyone enter for a fee of 200gp.

It is classed as a dangerous mini-game, meaning that if you die, you lose your items. Be cautious.

The arena is situated in Brimhaven, which is just west of Karamja volcano:

agilarenamap1hd8.png

There are a few different ways to get there.

Blue: go to Ardougne (with teleport or Khazard spirit tree) and take a ship to Brimhaven, which is 30gp

Yellow: go to Port Sarim (Lumbridge teleport/Draynor teleport with Glory amulet) and take a ship to Karamja, which is 30gp.

You can also just use a Glory amulet to teleport to Karamja, then walk west, which is also an easy method of getting there.

Instead of going to Port Sarim/Ardougne you can also charter a ship from any other Port to Brimhaven, although this is more expensive.

agilarenamap2wh9.png

Once you get to Cap'n Izzy (he's the one with the Agility Cape) you pay 200gp and he'll let you go in. Once you exit the dungeon, you'll have to pay 200gp to enter again. If you log out while inside, you'll log in inside, so you don't need to pay 200gp again.

2. The obstacles

Here's a map of the agility arena: (mapped by Tip.it, thanks to them)

White: Lvl 1+ obstacles

Blue: Lvl 20+ obstacles

Red: Lvl 40+ obstacles

agility_arena.png

--- 2.1 Damage rates

You can fail most obstacles, which will take away some HP. This minigame is dangerous so you will get killed and lose your items at 0 HP. I have done some research on the amount of hitpoints lost at different hitpoints left, and I came to these findings:

Hitpoints left  - Damage dealt

Over 60 HP left - 5 damage dealt

59 - 40 HP left - 4 damage dealt

39 - 20 HP left - 3 damage dealt

19 - 00 HP left - 2 damage dealt

As you can see from that, the minimum amount you can be hit is 2, so you should keep your HP at 3 or above at all times. 5 is a bit safer: you'll fall twice before dying, while at 3 the second fall would kill you, but if you'll pay attention, go ahead and use slices of cake to stay under 20 HP.

--- 2.2 Lvl 1+ obstacles.

Rope Swing

agilarena1.png

This is one of the fastest ones. Make sure to click the rope that's nearest to you.

You gain 20xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 9/10. If you need to get somewhere, this is the way to go. It's fast and you fall very rarely.

Planks

agilarena2.png

This one requires some attention. As you can see on the picture, there are always two broken planks and one good plank. Make sure to click on the good one.

You gain 6xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 8/10. It's annoying since you'll need to wait a second to see which ones are battered, and sometimes the difference is small.

Log balance

agilarena3.png

You can barely fail on this one. Just click the log.

You gain 12xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 9.5/10. You fall here rarely, and it's relatively fast.

Blade

agilarena4.png

This one depends on timing. If you don't have run on, you'll miss this. The best way to do this is to stand in front of the blade, and wait for it to come up, when it's almost completely down, click on the next platform and you should make it. Make sure there's a flag on the next platform (look at the minimap). If there isn't, click again till there is. This is also the only obstacle where you can make it but still get damaged, if you make it halfway across.

You gain no experience if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 9.5/10. When you're used to this one, you'll only rarely get hit. Make sure you have your run on.

Rope balance

agilarena5.png

I have personally never failed this. Just click the things that attach the ropes to the platform.

You gain 10 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 10/10. Same as with the log balance, not that fast but you never fail.

Low wall

agilarena6.png

You simply cannot fail this. Just click on the wall.

You gain 8 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 10/10. Just do it. No failing, and it's not too slow.

Ledge

agilarena7.png

I have personally never failed this. Just click on the ledge.

You gain 16 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 9.5/10. You don't fail here frequently, and it's reasonable when it comes to speed.

Pillars

agilarena8.png

You can fail this, but it doesn't happen frequently. Just click the first pillar on your side.

You gain 18 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 8/10. It's pretty fast, but falling is annoying, since you'll have to go back upstairs first.

Monkey bars

agilarena9.png

I have personally never failed this one. Just click the bar closest to you.

You gain 16 xpif you do this successfully.

Reliability: 10/10. Relatively fast, no falling.

---2.3 Lvl 20+ obstacles

Hand holds

agilarenab1.png

These are annoying, since falling here is not rare. When you fail, go to the nearest accessible ladder and try again. Make sure you have at least 3HP when you try and do this one.

You gain 22 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 6/10. Personally I hate those, this is the only place that killed me. It's about as fast as the rope and log balance but you can fall a lot.

Pressure pads

agilarenab2.png

Failing these isn't rare either, I've seen people with over 90 Agility fail this one. Just keep trying to do it, it'll work. Make sure you have at least 3HP before you try doing this one.

You gain 26 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 7/10. These can be pretty annoying, especially if you keep on failing them.

Floor spikes

agilarenab3.png

These are basically the same as pressure pads, except with spikess coming out of the floor instead of falling rocks.

You gain 24 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 7/10.

---2.4 Lvl 40+ obstacles

Darts

agilarenab4.png

This is the most annoying obstacle of all. If you can take an alternative route, take it, but do whatever you can to not have to take these. I've seen people with 90+ Agility fail those. If you fail this, darts will hit you and temporarily remove 2 Agility levels (which can be particularly annoying if they make you go under 40.) The best thing to do if you get hit too much is too put on rapid restore to help your agility come back faster.

You gain 30 xp if you do this successfully.

Reliability: 3/10. Just try to avoid them.

Spinning blade

agilarenab5.png

These are kinda like pressure pads and floor spikes, but they're harder, so you'll fail them more often.

You gain 28 xp if you do this succesfully.

Reliability: 6/10. Much more reliable then darts, I'd suggest this as an alternative to taking darts.

3. Playing the game

---3.1 Set-up

To play this mini-game, you'll require food, since this is a dangerous mini-game, and 200gp to get in (+ possible transportation fee).

A good idea is to wear stuff that doesn't weigh much, with 5kg as the maximum. Under zero is the best though.

The best combination is Penance gloves + spottier cape + boots of Lightness, but even just a spotted cape will work out. You can also wear some light robes for looks, if you want, as long as you stay under zero you'll be alright. This is what I usually wear (the monk's robes are for looks):

agiloutfit2md3.png

This is better:

agiloutfit1rq5.png

This is the best you can get:

agiloutfit3qv5.png

Thanks to Clad Ldl for the picture!

Now as I mentioned, you'll also need food. It's pretty much a close call between baskets of strawberries (5) and cakes. I suggest you eat one strawberry and see how much it heals. If it heals more then 2, you should be fine. If it heals 2 or less, taking cakes will be better, as you'll heal more in inventory. Ofcourse you can take something like pineapple pizza's if you want to stay longer, but not only is that more expensive, it's also harder to stay at low hp, and you usually lose less hp from failing if you have low hp. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T DIE! Always make sure you're above 5 hp, with 3 as bare minimum.

---3.2 How to play

This is probably one of the most important sections in this guide: how do I play it?

The point of the game is simple, collect as many agility arena tickets as you can. You do this by tagging the pillar marked by an arrow, which changes every minute. When you start, at the top right of your screen you will see the marker is on red. When you tag your first pillar, it'll turn into green.

agilarenahtp1tq9.png

As the image said, you get tickets by tagging more then one pillar in a row, which means that every time you miss a pillar, you have to restart from 0. This can be frustrating but it can be fun to try and break your best streak.

The second time you hit a pillar, you'll get this message:

agilarenahtp2lx0.png

That's the one message we want to see a lot.

--- 3.3 Some numbers

Note: summaries are found at the end of each section.

Ah, numbers... Well, here are some calculations that I added using reader's suggestions, and my own ideas that came from those suggestions.

ShadowSam19 asked me to include an estimate on how many tickets you can get an hour. I don't know. But what I do know, is how many it's possible to get in an hour.

So let's say you're in the mood to collect some tickets, and you arrive at the arena. You're lucky, the pillar was right in front of you. Since a pillar stays for 1 minute then changes, you'd have to wait a bit. Then, once you get to the next pillar, you'd wait, and so on. In other words, in your first 10 minutes of Agility Arena it's possible to obtain 9 tickets. After an hour, 59 tickets is possible, and if you were to stay for 24 hours non-stop (I don't suggest this), you would collect about 1439 tickets... That's without failing. Every time you fail, take away 2 from that total.

SUMMARY

In your first 10 mins, 9 tickets are possible.

In your first 60 mins, 59 tickets are possible.

In your second 60 mins, 60 tickets are possible.

Just take the amount of time in minutes, and remove 1, which is your first pillar.

Everytime you miss, take away 2 from the total. Don't believe me?

(example) You just tagged 3 pillars earning you two tickets in 3 minutes. You miss the next pillar, which means you wasted a minute getting to the next pillar but failing. You tag the next pillar, and before the next pillar is selected, another minute is gone. Then you can finally tag the next pillar for a ticket.

In this case, you wasted 2 minutes because 2 pillars didn't give you a ticket. In the long run, this means that, if you advance to 10 minutes, you'll have the 2 tickets of the first 3 mins, then 5 other tickets from the last 5 minutes, because there were two minutes where you didn't get a ticket.

Ofcourse other scenarios are possible, like tag-miss-tag-miss-tag-miss, where for example you don't get any tickets for a while.

Any other suggestions on what to put in this section are welcome.

4. Rewards

After days of hard work, you've finally collected a nice amount of tickets. Now what?

You can go collect a reward, using those tickets! Maybe you've seen it on the picture, but Cap'n Izzy No-Beard has an assistant: Pirate Jackie the Fruit. He's the guy without the cape:

agilarenamap3ow8.png

When you trade him, you'll get this screen:

agilarenarewards1qe7.png

The pirate's hook isn't really a good weapon, it's mostly decorational, it has about the same stats as leather gloves. You can try and sell them for over a mill though.

Snapdragon and Toadflax for herblore ofcourse.

And then there's the experience. The experience per ticket changes, depending on how much tickets you're willing to spend. Here's a table:

Ticket- Exp/ticket

1     - 240 
10    - 248
25    - 260
100   - 280
1000  - 320

If you want to take the best out of your tickets, wear Karamja Gloves 2 or above, they will add 10% experience per ticket, so for example 240 becomes 264.

Now, for the other products, here they are sorted by price in tickets:

10  - Toadflax
25  - Snapdragon
800 - Pirate's hook

5. Tips and hints

Just some tips to keep you there longer, make it more entertaining, ...

-Wearing Karamja Gloves 2 or 3 is a good idea, you'll get 10% more xp per obstacle + per ticket

-ALWAYS STAY ABOVE 5HP, with 3 as bare minimum. I know you'll get hit 2 if you're at 3 hp, but it takes one moment of not paying attention and you're dead. You don't want to lose 200-500 tickets that way, believe me.

-This is a dangerous minigame, dying there will make you lose all your items but 3.

-Alching while waiting for the pillars to change is useful, since you're getting some magic XP too.

-Putting on some music while playing can be a nice way to fight boredom. You can also just chat with friends (preferably on RuneScape).

-Don't take your full armour. It's best to have 0 kg or under.

-The TzHaar bank is the best if you're doing multiple runs. Ofcourse you can use Karamja gloves 3 to go to Shilo Village, bank there then teleport back with a Glory amulet, but this method is more expensive, since you'll have to pay for your glory amulets too.

-Don't take all your tickets with you if you're saving for 1000 or 800.

-If you're going for a big number, banking with rounded numbers (200, 150, ...) is a good idea, since it's easier to keep count that way.

-After completing some obstacles you are lying on the ground, if you time it right you can give a move order and your character will run VERY fast. You can do this with monkey bars, spinning blade, pressure pads and floor spikes. -Thanks to TommySprat

-You can take about 10 extra gp and bank in Shilo (ride with the cart), or take 30gp and bank in Ardougne, take the boat from Brimhaven. Both will require money to get back -Thanks to pirate_felix.

-A smart set-up is to take 5 cakes and the rest baskets of strawberries, using the baskets of strawberries after eating all your cakes.

-Upon completion of the quest Rocking Out, you gain free entrance to the Agility Arena, so you no longer have to pay the 200gp fee for entering and leaving. You can either fill up your inventory with cakes and make sure to have eaten one before your first ticket, or you could just fill up 27 spaces with food/potions to save yourself the (maybe) unnecessary eating. -Thanks to magib1

-Ring of Charos (a) allows for free boat rides to Brimhaven from Ardougne, which is another great way to save money. -Thanks to niligo

-It takes about 14 hours of straight training to get a pirate hook. They cost about 1.3m. 1.3m divided by 14 hours equals about 92k. If you make more than 92k cash per hour then you should not buy the pirates hook with your tickets. -Thanks to HeyItsRoss

-Except for speed and such, strategy can also be a very important. After you get a ticket, a smart thing to do is get to the middle pillar, which can be identified as the one with spin blades to the north, darts to the west, low wall to the south and pillars to the east. If you go here after each ticket, you won't be wasting time standing still. Also, going from corner to corner can take a long time, but from center to corner can be up to 4 obstacles less. So no time wasted standing still and easier to get to another ticket.

Good luck!

[spoiler=Recent updates]DD/MM/YY

29/08/'09 - I'm back again (after another break) and I completely updated the obstacles section with new images and better descriptions of the obstacles.

21/04/'09 - I'm going back to this guide and planning on keeping it up, as I noticed that it did help some people. I'm also planning on figuring out the exact amount of HP lost when hit by an obstacle.

17/04/'10 - Wow, been ages since I've updated this. After the rollback a while back the whole lay-out was spoiled, so I decided to edit it, make it up to date.

Hi - Glad you are still around. Do you think Agility level has anything to do with failing obstacles in Brimhaven Arena ? I don't - I've seen 3 players 1 space apart fall off the same handhold (1-2-3). I'm level 64 and failed darts so I took a potion which bumped me up to level 66 from 62 -tried again & failed - now at level 64 failed again tried at level 62 and passed- I've failed repetivively from lvl 68 down to level 44 and then passed !

I believe its all random numbers that cause any obstacle to fail you for a fixed period of time. When that ime expires - no problem - and when and how long are variables.. What do you think - could it be that your agility level has very little if any importance here ? Riconan

Hi - Glad you are still around. Do you think Agility level has anything to do with failing obstacles in Brimhaven Arena ? I don't - I've seen 3 players 1 space apart fall off the same handhold (1-2-3). I'm level 64 and failed darts so I took a potion which bumped me up to level 66 from 62 -tried again & failed - now at level 64 failed again tried at level 62 and passed- I've failed repetivively from lvl 68 down to level 44 and then passed !

I believe its all random numbers that cause any obstacle to fail you for a fixed period of time. When that ime expires - no problem - and when and how long are variables.. What do you think - could it be that your agility level has very little if any importance here ? Riconan

Hmm, that's a bit of a tough question. I've mentioned in the first post that I've seen people with over 90 Agility fail some obstacles, so there's no level where you don't ever fail like with other courses, but I do think that the higher your level is, the less you'll fail. Now, the way you describe it might actually have some truth in it, so the way I see it, your level just influences the time and such. This is all speculation, I've never really thought of this, but that's a good point you have.

Also, could you edit your first post? No need to copy my entire guide into quote tags ;)