Tip.It Times Presents: Functionality vs. Flash

Rcty

Not that great. The graphics of a MMO are highly important, weather it's RS or WoW..

I would very much rather have the new graphics then a bunch of old bugs fixed anyday.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i already knew the did you know. that how i got my house blinged out for 80% less and i fond it by a mistake ::'

but as an oldschool player. i know what he is talking about, jagex is becomming more graphic then content oritated -.- :-#

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

alright, so everyone is complaining that they give you too much new content that slams down the good old stuff..

well in that case, you have 2 WHOLE WEEKS of NO NEW CONTENT!!

isnt that great? now you don't have to worry about falling behind :D

as for the article itself, i think it's very biased, and poorly written

and in todays world, (like mentioned before) graphics MAKE OR BREAK a game, which is why no one plays MUD's anyone, though i think most people dont even know what they are

plus with the graphic update, Jagex makes more money cuz it attracts new player (remember, good graphics like WoW, but only 1/3 of the price, plus there's a billion more things to do)

so with all that new $$$, Jagex can heir more staff, and improve content even more, though please do go ahead and prove me wrong

(not that i care)

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

I agree with 90% of the article. Yet graphics is a big part too for me. I also loled at the part about shadow warriors. :ohnoes: It was a good read though and the "do you know" part was excellent like always. :thumbsup:

i feel that both graphics and funtionality are equally important in a game...after all out of your 5 senses your eyes probably transmit 90% or more of the game content to you. hmm one way to look at it would be to ask yourself if you would enjoy playing a game where every thing is heavily pixelated and you can't make out much of the shape of the monster or your surroundings...yes i know that is an extreme but the point im trying to make is that we should strike a balance between the 2 and neither aspect alone is enough to make a game enjoyable...

a new graphics update will do lots to bring in variety to the game too as the monsters all look new and with shadings and shadows the game will look much more realistic...in terms of functionality i think jagex has been performing quite well...the main reason why im still playing this game even after 6 years is because of the wide variety of things to do in runescape...while most of the other MMORPGs focus on killing, training, monsters and stuff runescape allows you to be immersed in a medieval period fantasy life where one can mine, smith, cook, fletch, just to name a few on top of that plethora of minigames such as GWD, DK, CW (both clan and castle), PC and others...

that said i agree that a continually update of old game content is required to keep the gaming experience exciting and enjoyable...

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

It's not as if the same people are switching between graphics and content. There are two separate teams, so neither one impedes the other's work at all. So allocation of development time doesn't really come into it. Graphics updates don't mess up the content updates. I doubt the content team will twiddle their thumbs and hover over the graphics team's shoulders, or vice versa. ;)

I can understand the articles point but remember they are adding widescreen and more options for those lucky enough to have some form of graphics card. I stopped playing around the time the wildy was removed as I got a new computer and played some normal games. Now, when I renewed my membership a couple of days ago and played it, at first it strained my eyes looking at the small screen.

However, I do think they should have updated the bank system - I was suprised when I saw it was still rubbish.

I think the graphical update that is coming up is needed and the ones that are for certain monsters and other NPCs are just as important for a few reasons. The first reason is that although games are not all about what the game looks like, the graphics are the first impression that people have about a game. Thus, if a game looks rudimentary, some people might be turned off to the game and not even give it a try. In this way, the graphical update that is coming up could possibly open up the game to new players who would have otherwise not given Runescape a chance. This also puts more money into the coffers of Jagex and the money can be used to develop new quests and such because Jagex will hire more people if more people are playing. The graphical updates, although it may not look it, may actually be necessary for some updates to work correctly. So in this sense, graphical updates are on the surface flash, but are functional if you really think about it.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

Most of the people criticizing Das's article seem to have one thing in common: they keep saying why this graphical update is "important" or "needed" but they never say *why* or *how*.

How does this improve gameplay or make RS more fun to play?

What some don't realize is that eye candy is something that impresses only for a short time. When the new graphics arrive everyone will go "ooh" and "aah" and a month later you'll get used to them and they won't really seem that big a deal any more. And you'll be back to doing hour after hour of boring activities while having prettier backgrounds to look at while you sit there bored.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

What they actually should be concentrating upon is the multiplayer part of the game. Bring out more updates that require teamwork. Teamwork leveling (a slayer monster that needs to be attacked in two different attack styles as one, a fishing net so big it can only be handled by two people, etc. You get the idea).

Put these updates in lost quest areas.

Great read. I agree that gameplay is more important to graphics to me, however for a win-win situation Jagex should be updating both gameplay and graphics.

I also agree that every town should have something interesting in it to make it worth a re-visit, and to make sure a town doesn't become a "quest town" *cough* Witchaven *cough*.

Dr Locust <-- Click for my blog...

Dr_Locust.png

+2000 Total, PhD in Questing, Woodcutting, Agility, Thieving, and Firemaking

67njlaf.jpg

Most of the people criticizing Das's article seem to have one thing in common: they keep saying why this graphical update is "important" or "needed" but they never say *why* or *how*.

What some don't realize is that eye candy is something that impresses only for a short time. When the new graphics arrive everyone will go "ooh" and "aah" and a month later you'll get used to them and they won't really seem that big a deal any more. And you'll be back to doing hour after hour of boring activities while having prettier backgrounds to look at while you sit there bored.

hmm try playing a game where every thing is extremely pixelated and you cant differentiate clearly between a great and lesser demon...that might be a bit extreme but i hope you get my point =)

graphics add colour to the game...literally and figuratively

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

You missed one of the points I was trying to make Qeltar. Jagex doesn't care about existing players. They want new players. They need to make the game as 'sticky' as they can, and by sticky, I mean make a game that holds people for as long as they can, before those people either lose interest in gaming (the few), or move on to a better game (the many).

Better graphics accomplish this goal. No PKing accomplishes this goal. No trash talking accomplishes this goal. No merchanting (trade limits) accomplishes this goal.

Look at it as if Runescape is to MMOs as tobacco is to drugs. Runescape is the gateway drug of MMOs. Not many people who start RS end up playing the game for the long haul. Most move on to WoW, AOC, LOTRO, and DDO just to name a few. I had an entire clan I was in move to LOTRO in the space of 3 months, and most of those guys were level 126 maxed out toons. (sadly in the near future people are going to ask why 126 was maxed out).

wrong. many people have stated why the graphical update is so important. Jagex's main goal is to make money, and many gamers turn down runescape because of its poor graphics. Personally, I'm fine with the current graphics, but many friends that i've tried to introduce to runescape turn it down because they're used to seeing "World of Warcraft" graphics. Taking a few weeks away to come out with this update won't hurt, and there probably wont be another graphical update for a long time. So basically the update will bring in more players while satisfying current players.

But to another point, i also agree that runescape needs more multiplayer value. I also have friends that won't play this game because the interaction is so small. In other games we can literally do quest together(not just following a guide with eachother and following the other), but helping eachother kill bosses. Hopefully after this update Jagex will turn towards the multiplayer interaction in runescape.

Sweet, a new times. Going to read it today :P.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

I don't know about you, but I frequently see some shoddy areas in the game where attempts to make ground squares gradually shift from one colour to another, for example the area outside of Al-Kharid Scorpion mine. And I think 'God that's bad graphics', and I've been thinking that for several years. I ignore, but I remember. It's human nature to remember the negative things and forget the good things, this topic is proof. I would consider not ever being reminded about Runescape's graphical quality than hearing every so often in my head 'This game has bad graphics, why are you here?' a vast improvement. This isn't at all about eye-candy. This is all about clearing out the eye-sores.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think everyone is forgetting where we are currently in RS.

RSC was released in 2000, RS2 2004, now this newer RS 2008.

There's 4 years in between each version.

But in many ways I think you can relate to the fact that Jagex isn't going to go the whole hog like they did RS2, they'll do bits and bobs.

Think about the updates over the last year or 2.

Clans chat, summoning, clan wars, better graphics, quick chat, GWD, player owned houses (to an extent), hunting etc all weren't initially viable on the old RS2.

This graphics update is probably the final step in the "new rs", like they've been doing little updates over the year rolling into a finale that is the overhaul of graphics.

Jagex have also stated that they're going to sort all the niggles and other problems with the massive update they're bringing next month, so it isn't much of a wonder why they're doing so - it's just simpler.

I know a lot of people are a bit disgruntled about the seemingly "high spec's" but honestly they're not.

As hardware and software becomes more advanced, so will RuneScape.

With more and more games mimicing photorealism, RuneScape will soon come up behind as Java becomes more advanced aswell.

And lets face it, even though RuneScape will always come last in graphics, atleast it won't be in gigabytes of information to go with it.

I think many people are forgetting that some people do infact enjoy RS graphics as they currently are - It's a distinct style.

RuneScape DOES need to improve itself, and as quoted from a sticky in the rants forum:

"Change is inevitable, MMORPGs thrive on change and updates due to their nature. If the game remains the same way for many years it will stagnate and soon only the "veteran" players remain. MMORPGs need new players all the time, not only for the interests of the company behind them but for the player community to stay fresh."

I see many people who don't like this update on this thread as "veteran".

But even then I don't see what your complaining about, it's optional.

Who are you to say what Jagex does with its resources? I'm sure the little niggles in the game will get changed eventually, but everyone has something that irks them every now and again, but that's life I guess - RS will never be perfect but atleast Jagex are trying to make it better.

The graphics update may look different to the screenshots, especially as I'm thinking the player looks will probably change slightly (hey, they aren't spending 3 weeks on holiday you know) .

Probably other gameplay updates unbeknown to us players to come aswell.

Just enjoy it \'

say i agree 100%

one very easy thing that would really spice up the game is collections

wont get into details because from another game but here is basic idea

random objects in runescape

you clikc and some start collections

then you get notice with list of items need to get

then once done

unique reward

pet

exp

wep

or quest

then theres s also group collections with a special bonus...

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Jagex is only updating the graphics because so many people I know don't play because the graphics suck. In fact it seems like alot of people prefer graphics over gameplay

Signature removed. Referral links are not permitted anywhere on the forums.

Castle wars has been updated twice, the emerald bracelets, and the quest Catapault Construction. i would like to see the graphics, and i hate mindlessly clicking things to get up levels, i only ever been a member for 1 month ( THAT WAS 3 MONTHS AGO) and i played LESS because there was fun things to do, and no repitition

rs is jusy keeping up with mmo's

rs's graphics has always stopped people from playing the game

the said in development that the new look gives more options for other part like quests.

the revisting however is true, you just have to look at skill training, it almost always uses new content with oldiers stuff being stale.

My IQ is 146 - Free-IQTest.net - IQ Test

darthnixon16.png

As a developer, I understand that functionality and graphics updates are exclusive from one another. The programmers that work on fixes and updates to the functionality are not the same as those that are doing the graphics redesigns. So, to make a determination that working more on one will take time away from the other, is based on false assumptions.

I'm affraid this is going to be somehow dissapointing, every thing that they've hyped before was a failure. Maybe it's because they set some sort of deadline which has to be made because they've promised it to players, for example summoning, which was released while not really being finished.

In a developement diary i heard them talk about a feasability study. It looks like they are using dsdm as a system developing method, which focusses on things like using as less money and time to get the minimum required results, and leave most "would be nice to have" things out if there isn't enough time for it. Ofcourse this method will bring up cheap and fast developed systems, i feel this isn't the right approach for runescape. I see a game designer more as an artist. Because it's not really important that the graphics update is being released quickly, they should take as much time for it to make it as close to perfectly what they want as possible. They've released some half finished things like bounty hunter, grand exchange, summoning, vinesweeper this year, and I hope it's not going to ruin more future updates.