What do you think Jagex does with it's money?

penguinpoop

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex also gives their money to charity.

As part of its ongoing commitment to good corporate citizenship Jagex supports a range of national and international charities.

Since 2004, Jagex has donated over £200,000 to various charities including:

•  
    [*:2dklgj5g] Save the Children

[*:2dklgj5g] CAFOD

[*:2dklgj5g] Hamlin Churchill Childbirth Injuries Fund

[*:2dklgj5g] Cancer Research

[*:2dklgj5g] Cystic Fibrosis Trust

[*:2dklgj5g] The University of Pennsylvania

[*:2dklgj5g] Royal Marsden Cancer Campaign

[*:2dklgj5g] Bury Bombers Wheelchair Basketball

[*:2dklgj5g] SOS Children's Villages

Link: http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Giving_Back/charities.ws

They also spend money to keep their company eco-friendly.

Link: http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Giving_Back/environment.ws

Not to mention taxes, vacations, staff salaries and other expenses.

You ruined my fun.

I was going to make a joke about charities and how they have no hearts or soul so they don't give to charities :lol:

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

paul and andrew divert it to their mothers as a thanks for letting them use her basement #-o

I hope you mean Mother rather than mothers! being brothers I hope it's just one! :o

Well there is enough profit margin to make it a welcoming business model...... but they are not exactly microsoft...... the real question is what to Microsoft do with £100's/$ from most house holds in the world.

But remember 40% of Jagex is owned by venture capitalists, so a large chunk (40% i'll have you know) of profit goes away straight there.

Then with the majority of the rest of it I would assumed it is driven back into the company funding new content external to runescape such as funorb or Mechscape allowing the company to grow more.

and then we get all the other stuff mentioned already.............

sig2webzx7.jpg

they spend it all on beer.

But they aren't Canadian?

(Sorry, I have nothing useful to contribute to this topic, I just really wanted to make the reference between Canada and beer loving. :thumbup: [i am Canadian, I am not country - bashing] Thank you for reading this nonsense-blather I have posted here.)

Blakdragon39.png

Employee salaries

Employee training/upkeep

Equipment upkeep

Equipment rental/purchases

Facility rental

Facility upkeep

Furniture rental/purchases

Emergency expenses

Taxes

Overtime budgets (including time and a half and doubletime)

Utilities

Decorum

Vacations/holidays (I know that they do host company-wide Christmas parties somewhere)

Leftover goes into savings for a rainy day

------

That's probably covering 99% of the bases for any company.

pretty much sums it up :thumbup:

They also need to pay for bandwidth, updates, and of course the internet they use.

Mr_Smarty_1.png

1. Jagex had an 05-06 turnover of £16.8m with pre-tax profits of £10.2m, giving them a profit margin of 60.7% - they also had a divident payment of £5m.

2. Jagex had an 07 turnover of £28m with pre-tax profits of £15m, giving a profit margin of 53.5% - they also had a dividend payment of £8.6m.

3. Jagex have been investing heavily in MechScape (it has been under development since 2005), and investing in FunOrb.

4. Jagex employ around 400 people with an '06 average salary of c£24,000 (that's around £9.6m in staffing cost).

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

I'm pretty sure they don't have close to 1M members anymore since macros were a ton of the paying members. But maybe with the different option they get $5M a year. I think they have to pay their employes and rent the servers as they say they do. But no company is a good one without profits.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Paying their employees...?

What makes you think Jagex makes ridiculous amounts of profits?

Andrew and Paul Gower list as some of the richest men in all of United Kingdom, if I recall correctly, being worth some $100 million each. So they probably do make absurd amounts of profit from their operations.

400 People + Being English = Lots of Tea? :D

Nah serious, they'd just spend it on normal stuff....

Well, they do have free fair trade tea, and some members of staff go for two teabags per cup due to the cup's 3/4pint capacity (tho some staff also bring their own teabags).

ren_tbv450.png

Over the years, this question comes up every so often. Yes Jagex makes money, its a business! If my memory serves me right, businesses usually make 8-10% profit, which is reasonable in my opinion. (Oil companies only make 8%, while the government makes 15% of each gallon.. ok thats my politics spill) Anyways, Jagex has to pay for their workers, taxes, property, servers, janitors... The list could go on for quite some time. It's not like they are ripping off their members.

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

400 People + Being English = Lots of Tea? :D

Nah serious, they'd just spend it on normal stuff....

Rofl, even with 400 people wanting tea at exactly the same time, (Imagines legions of mugs being filled with tea in factories, flowing into Jagex Towers) it wouldn't be that expensive.

Jagex has a lot of things that it has to spend on. Maintaining and upgrading so many servers, 24 hours a day in many parts of the globe isn't a cheap and easy task.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

They are building a giant a giant underground crumpet factory. Why crumpets? Because they're European, and everyone knows the average Europeans diet is 51.012% crumpets. Knowing this, it is obvious that anyone who has a monopoly over crumpet production essentially controls Europe. This is how Jagex plans to take over Europe, and eventually the world.

quit

They are building a giant a giant underground crumpet factory. Why crumpets? Because they're European, and everyone knows the average Europeans diet is 51.012% crumpets. Knowing this, it is obvious that anyone who has a monopoly over crumpet production essentially controls Europe. This is how Jagex plans to take over Europe, and eventually the world.

Your statistics are flawed, and i take offence. You make it seem as though us europeans are crumpet [bleep], doing little else than sucking the worlds flour and yeast supplies dry for our own filfillment. That, sir, is a travesty, and quite unacceptable, allow me to produce you with the facts so as to help you understand.

Your figure of 51.012% is somewhat misleading. It must be remembered that a crumpet, in its raw state, is not the entirety of the savoury goodness, there are many other factors to consider wrapped up within this commonly quoted "fact". For starters, there are a number of toppings that can be used: take a good 4-7% of that off right away. These topping can include a wide range of produce from Jam, peanut butter, coconut oil extract and shampoo. As such, Jagex is not simpyl attempting to conqour the crumpet market, but is also pouring much needed money into the economies all over the world, even those of Rimmeland and the L'Oréal province of Headandshoulders.

Please look at both sides of the coin when discussing the pros and cons of monopolisation over any market, not just the evil side of corporations.

Now i'm going to OD on crumpets and work on my master plan to rename pie charts to Crumpictograms. Good day sir.

Yeah, i'm bored. :]

p.s. they probably also spend a lot on legal mumbo jumbo. I've no evidence whatsoever for this, but to be frank, the amount of severely annoyed and hurt people i've seen regarding relations with jagex, it's inevitable there have probably been cases...or will be. They also have a lot more costs making things i mean, nearly all the software they use to create the game is written by the company - that's a LOT of behind the scenes work. They also probably put a large slice of cash into their other projects: Funorb, Nextscape (as they call it, we can assume that is mechscape).

Over the years, this question comes up every so often. Yes Jagex makes money, its a business! If my memory serves me right, businesses usually make 8-10% profit, which is reasonable in my opinion. (Oil companies only make 8%, while the government makes 15% of each gallon.. ok thats my politics spill) Anyways, Jagex has to pay for their workers, taxes, property, servers, janitors... The list could go on for quite some time. It's not like they are ripping off their members.

Actually, that is not the case for Jagex. As I stated earlier their pre-tax profit margin was 60.7% in 05-06 and 53.5% for 07 (and that's with the money invested into FunOrb/MechScape/Hi-Def). WoW's profit margin is 40%.

ren_tbv450.png