A Guide to Hunting Waterfiends

oxidation83

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guide man, Waterfiends are quite slow to collect crimsons if you're under 68 Summoning, I'm averaging 31 Crimsons per trip using your <68 Inventory.

Ah well, Bunyip will eventually come ::'

I was averaging around 55-65 crims per trip without 68 summoning.

Mind you, my setup was a bit different, and I have a bit higher stats then you.

BTW, Oxi was right about the barrel anchor. lmao

cool_ice77.png

cool_ice77.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, don't call em crazy, we all know I am, but how about dharoks?

Stay around 20-30 hp with bunyip/fruit bat healing you, range pray (if your mage lvl is high enough) and you outa be able to smack em around. I might try this later, but maybe it is a good idea. Then again, most of my ideas are crazy bizzare

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Dharoks really only works well if you are at or very close to maxed mage and defense and have unicorns. he basic idea is to pray range and piety using unicorns to heal. It's highly effective when it works, but the fiends can get on a streak where they hit a lot and the Unicorn just can't keep up cutting trips short a bit too often for my taste. If you want to see a better explanation, Qeltar published a guide somewhere on these forums.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

I have been hunting these for a small time with a berserker necklace and an obsidian mace.

My max is 35 with slayer equipment and 85 strength and i hit over 20 almost every hit,my potions and food drain so they both run out about the same time... I reccomend you check into using this combo for waterfiends.

Sirdanile.jpg

Thanks "MrShinyredplanet" for the sig!

Thanks "littleboy" for the avatar!

Blood +,Code Geass (both seasons),Death Note,Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,.hack//(all), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eureka 7, Bleach,Cowboy Bebop,DN Angel,Scrapped Princess,Kiba, Rental Magica,D-Grayman,Fate/Stay Night,Elfen Lied,Chrno Crusade,FLCL,Haruhi Suzumiya, and Gungrave. Anime i've watched, pm me to suggest other series

According to the KB, the Saradomin Sword's speed is 50% higher than the Godsword's. However, the GS's strength bonus is 61% higher, its crush attack bonus is 20 higher, and its prayer bonus is 6 higher. So from this it seems that the Godsword would be a considerably better weapon for waterfiends.

Of course, that's assuming that the KB's speed estimates are true, and most likely they're not. But I'd like you to confirm that.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I have been hunting these for a small time with a berserker necklace and an obsidian mace.

My max is 35 with slayer equipment and 85 strength and i hit over 20 almost every hit,my potions and food drain so they both run out about the same time... I reccomend you check into using this combo for waterfiends.

-10 attack, and worse, -20 defense from the necklace seems pretty bad, especially since I prefer Void which has low defense to begin with, and I no longer use any protection prayers with Unicorns.

According to the KB, the Saradomin Sword's speed is 50% higher than the Godsword's. However, the GS's strength bonus is 61% higher, its crush attack bonus is 20 higher, and its prayer bonus is 6 higher. So from this it seems that the Godsword would be a considerably better weapon for waterfiends. I'll give it a shot anyway, but honestly I'm not expecting much.

Of course, that's assuming that the KB's speed estimates are true, and most likely they're not. But I'd like you to confirm that.

That's why you test these things out for yourself. Godswords are only good if you're using Void because of the percentage multiplier.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

According to the KB, the Saradomin Sword's speed is 50% higher than the Godsword's. However, the GS's strength bonus is 61% higher, its crush attack bonus is 20 higher, and its prayer bonus is 6 higher. So from this it seems that the Godsword would be a considerably better weapon for waterfiends.

61% more str. True.

Crush is 20 higher. True.... wait? Thats like 20%.

Crush is more important than str. All KB speeds are correct. GS's are not good weapons there, they're just too slow.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

I tried it after the last guy suggested it and it was terrible. You lose a gargantuan 35 defense and 20 attack points compared to Fury and the difference was immediately obvious. I had to leave early because my Unicorn just couldn't keep up with the damage I was receiving, and I was getting charms significantly slower that I do with a Sara Sword. It was just bad and I would never recommend that setup to anyone, ever.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

• 2 weeks later...

According to the KB, the Saradomin Sword's speed is 50% higher than the Godsword's. However, the GS's strength bonus is 61% higher, its crush attack bonus is 20 higher, and its prayer bonus is 6 higher. So from this it seems that the Godsword would be a considerably better weapon for waterfiends. I'll give it a shot anyway, but honestly I'm not expecting much.

That's why you test these things out for yourself. Godswords are only good if you're using Void because of the percentage multiplier.

I though Void's boost affected your stats, not your bonuses.

61% more str. True.

Crush is 20 higher. True.... wait? Thats like 20%.

Crush is more important than str. All KB speeds are correct. GS's are not good weapons there, they're just too slow.

Godswords are 50% slower but give 61% more strength bonus. But anyway I've answered my own question: 61% higher strength bonus doesn't mean your max hit is 61% higher. It's more like 40%, so the sara sword is better.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I tried it after the last guy suggested it and it was terrible. You lose a gargantuan 35 defense and 20 attack points compared to Fury and the difference was immediately obvious. I had to leave early because my Unicorn just couldn't keep up with the damage I was receiving, and I was getting charms significantly slower that I do with a Sara Sword. It was just bad and I would never recommend that setup to anyone, ever.

I dont know your setup for this test, but is have been proven, im pretty sure, that bonuses does not stack. for example slayer helm and salve amulet e o not work together.

so i was just wondering if you tried the berserker necklace + obby weapon, in full void? if the bonuses doesnt stack it would be better in full karils, and then you would have higher def bonuses.

speaking bout bonuses, llamster just said that he thinks void boosts your stats and not equipment bonuses... hes right im pretty sure...

althoug this, taken from runescape's official manual - pest control guide; can make it hard to be sure:

"Void Knight Armour

You must have at least level 42 in Attack, Strength, Defence, Hitpoints, Ranged and Magic, as well as having 22 Prayer or more to buy these items from the Knights.

If you wear a complete set of void knight armour (you don't need a mace for the set), you will receive a bonus 'set effect' depending on the helm you have chosen to wear.

Void melee helm: +10% to Attack and damage

Void mage helm: +30% to Magic attack

Void ranger helm: +10% to Attack and damage"

it says "attack", like the skill

and "damage", like the effect??

Boeg.png

I'll admit I don't know the exact mechanics of how Void works, but my recommendations are based on actual kills per hour data that I collected while training there. So whatever it does, the Void set makes a GS into a good weapon there, and it gets even better when using Piety.

As for Berserker Necklace and Obby Mace, it's just strictly slower than Void and a SS/ZS. You give up a gigantic amount of defense, prayer, and accuracy for an awful weapon. Do not ever use that combination.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

May I suggest ancient mace as a spec weapon if you can't afford a GS? It restores pray points equal to your hit, and I tried it out (only a little so don't yell at me :P) and I can hit fairly often w/ it. 99 attack by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the old forums got nuked I had that listed. It's one of the things that got lost when i switched to a previous version. I'll add it back in soon.

Also, as I've been unable to locate Qeltar's Dharoking guide, I'll be adding a section on that over the next few days.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

You might want to add the Fighter Helmet from Barbarian Assault to the helmet section, it gives +5 to stab/slash/crush attacks. Good for those people out there who haven't done the quest for Dwarven helm (like me).

You might want to update your pros and cons sections, it still has SGS as ~100m and Zamarokian Spear as "Cheaper than whip"

Other than that nice guide, although one of my friends (135 combat) Says a D mace works pretty well if you have them as a slayer task.

tidus_2555.png

My Blog

My Training Guide

Drop records go here, but I lost count of all of my drops while I was away from TIF/They were down :(

Before the old forums got nuked I had that listed. It's one of the things that got lost when i switched to a previous version. I'll add it back in soon.

Also, as I've been unable to locate Qeltar's Dharoking guide, I'll be adding a section on that over the next few days.

There's a slightly improved version based off Q's, as his was meant for unicorn users.

Improved version (no uni) -> http://www.truthscape.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=2399

Q's version -> http://www.truthscape.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=1963

(Are we allowed to link to other fan sites? If not mod please remove or ask me to edit my post, thanks)

Xenon_101.png

Xenon_101.png

99 Range on 08/25/08!

Solo Arma Hilt on 12/06/08! (clicky)

Ahh, its nice to see this back.

Its been a hell of a long time since I last replied to your waterfiend guide, lol XD. I mean before I don't even think I had a bunyip! Now I have enough charms for 86 summoning banked O_O.

I still do waterfiends with a verac flail, hilariously enough. But thats because I'm going for my last melee 99, defence.

I think that after you finish your dharoking guide, you should work on a guide for doing the multicombat waterfiends. They are actually worth it, you just have to unaggro in the top side of the cave first, and its not recommended with under 79 summoning. Actually, I think a titan here is better than a unicorn because it does damage, but I can't test it.

What you want to do is you use your healing familiar (unicorn or titan preferably) on the top side and kill that one for 10 minutes. After you're unaggressive you should be able to kill most of the ones on the right side of the tunnel as if its nonmulti. But after you're unaggressive, you want to use a combat familiar -- titans use crush attacks, so they're probably best. Even Geyser Titan has a crush attack, but you have to call it so that the waterfiend is in its melee range.

It might be best to piety for most of these kills while they are still agressive to you, and also to use a low population world for slower spawns while you are agressive. Getting rid of aggro is easily the hardest part about the whole multi waterfiends thing, and most people thought "oh you get ripped" but you really don't. Maybe its just because I'm very high statted. But for higher levels its definitely a really good alternative. I'd go on about it but I'd pretty much be creating my own guide on it -- maybe I will, but idk, lol. Just wanted to bring up that multi waterfiends are definitely possible and you should probably look into it.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Ahh, its nice to see this back.

Its been a hell of a long time since I last replied to your waterfiend guide, lol XD. I mean before I don't even think I had a bunyip! Now I have enough charms for 86 summoning banked O_O.

I still do waterfiends with a verac flail, hilariously enough. But thats because I'm going for my last melee 99, defence.

I think that after you finish your dharoking guide, you should work on a guide for doing the multicombat waterfiends. They are actually worth it, you just have to unaggro in the top side of the cave first, and its not recommended with under 79 summoning. Actually, I think a titan here is better than a unicorn because it does damage, but I can't test it.

What you want to do is you use your healing familiar (unicorn or titan preferably) on the top side and kill that one for 10 minutes. After you're unaggressive you should be able to kill most of the ones on the right side of the tunnel as if its nonmulti. But after you're unaggressive, you want to use a combat familiar -- titans use crush attacks, so they're probably best. Even Geyser Titan has a crush attack, but you have to call it so that the waterfiend is in its melee range.

It might be best to piety for most of these kills while they are still agressive to you, and also to use a low population world for slower spawns while you are agressive. Getting rid of aggro is easily the hardest part about the whole multi waterfiends thing, and most people thought "oh you get ripped" but you really don't. Maybe its just because I'm very high statted. But for higher levels its definitely a really good alternative. I'd go on about it but I'd pretty much be creating my own guide on it -- maybe I will, but idk, lol. Just wanted to bring up that multi waterfiends are definitely possible and you should probably look into it.

And then they're finally unaggressive, and Molly tele's you to catch that damn sister of her for the 10000th time and you'll have to start all over. Yay?

2dvjurb.png