Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Sign in to follow this  
amoeba_009

Downloading problems

With programmes like uTorrent and BitTorrent, I have Rogers as an isp, could that be the reason why? With one specific file there were 2000 ish seeds and 500 leechers, i should have atleast got 1kb on download. Usually i get around 15-25 on a horrible torrent. But the past few weeks all i've been getting is 0. Help please. :(

Could be your ISP blocked torrenting.

Dammit :wall: :wall: Does anyone else have rogers to confirm this? Also, is there any non-illegal or illegal way around this?

Also, does anyone have bell, to tell me weather they're blocking it or not?

Just call your ISP and ask. If they say they don't allow torrenting there you go your not allowed to do it and that would explain it. Your other option is to sit here in forums and possibly get no where.

Or they could just change their listening port number, reconfigure their port forwarding, and encrypt their traffic. Literally, if your ISP can't read the traffic, then they can't know whether to block it or not. :ugeek:

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

in uTorrent clikc options > preferences > Bittorrent (In side bar bit) > and at the bottom ensure protocol encryption is enabled.

also be sure there is a green tick on the bar at the bottom of the bittorrent window. if there's a red or orange cross or something your ports are not forwarded properly. visit portforward.com if theres any problems there.

also if this is only occurring on 1 torrent try another, it may just be a dead torrent.

If your ISP is the Rogers in Canada, then it is your ISP's fault:

http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Internet_service_providers_that_do_not_like_file_sharing#Canada

Unfortunately (according to the wiki), they also block encrypted traffic :(

As far as I know, your only option is to switch ISP's. But there are people out there that may be able to help you. You could try the official forums for utorrent, BitTorrent, etc. or the Azureus wiki. Azureus also have an IRC channel if you need more help, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to help if you're not using Azureus.

They are throttling your bandwidth the way it works is you pay for the bandwidth and they don't deliver.

It's fraud but unless you have consumer protection laws to prevent it there's nothing you can do except change ISP.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Dammit :wall: :wall: Does anyone else have rogers to confirm this? Also, is there any non-illegal or illegal way around this?

Also, does anyone have bell, to tell me weather they're blocking it or not?

I have Aliant, the canada atlantic part of bell, and we can download torrents (I personnally don't but I know a lot of people who uses torrents and p2p programs with the same ISP, since it's basicaly the only one around here).

As explained, try to encrypt the traffic (some client offer this but some don't, check it out, change to port (for example, to port 21 which is the default FTP port), and finally, use http if all these fails. Usually, there are multiple ways to get a popular file, by HTTP (e.g. sendspace / rapidshare), FTP (through this has declined), eMule network or BiTorrent network

http://They are throttling your bandwidth the way it works is you pay for the bandwidth and they don't deliver.

Perhaps he is using an unlimited scheme, but the total bandwidth for a building / region is limited due to technical / economical concerns, so they have to prevent those using bit torrent from draining a large amount of bandwidth and depleting bandwidth for others, which usually results in complaints. You can compare it to a shared wireless network --- if one user does a lot of downloading, other's downloading speed is usually very low, which generally creates rants

Currently taking a break from Runescape