What is your ideal life?

Blipo

A repost of a thread I started on my school's Planning 10 discussion forum.

Most people would say their ideal life entails a large salary, a big house, and a loving family. Why?

In my experience, a large salary demands hard work for long hours. A big house comes with a mortgage or rent, not to mention bills. A loving family generally has a large amount of dysfunction. All around me I see people with what modern western society defines as nice, enjoyable lives. And all around me I see people whose lives involve living to work and working to live. I don't want to live like that.

I don't want to need an excess of stuff to be happy. I want to live for fun and enjoyment. Why bother with a high paying job? They're stressful. Why not a lower paying job? Living on $1000 a month isn't hard - you don't have to pay taxes on that little, I believe - if you don't mind getting roommates.

You may wonder how one can enjoy life, when their annual income is $12k. In fact, those living in the $50k range wonder the same thing in regards to those in the $30k range. And those in the $100k range wonder the same thing about those in the $50k range. And those in the $250k range wonder the same thing about those in the $100k range. And so on. You just get less useless stuff. You find your fun elsewhere.

Where can someone find that fun? It depends on the person. Allow me to be the guinea pig for this post. I could live happily with a comfortable bed, a decent computer, a fast Internet connection, and a gram of cannabis a week. I would require a cheap place to live, a mediocre job, and a nearby grocery store, computer hardware store, and dealer.

Does that sound like an awful life? Me, a stoner in his small house with his mundane job, in another world when he isn't working to finance said elsewhere? And yet, I'd be enjoying myself, wouldn't I? I wouldn't stress over affording that new plasma TV, or that fancy car, or those ridiculous clothes. (Okay, well, that's not true: A plasma TV, The Matrix, The Wizard of Oz, and the Star Wars series in HD would be constant objects of desire. As would an insanely comfy fleece sweater. And a giant matriarchcarnalising beanbag. But I digress.) So why is my enjoyment inferior to yours?

I don't mean to imply that psychosis-inducing drugs are the only way to live a simple life - they are simply one example of a way to do so. This, of course, leads to the entirely separate point of acceptable vs. unacceptable drug use. Please, save those comments for another time. This isn't a discussion about drug use, it's a discussion about lifestyles.

tl;dr: What is your ideal life? Why? Do you really need all the stuff you want? Is there a way you can cut the stress and worrying and anxiety out of your life?

Bonus points for picking up on 'matriarchcarnalising'.

tek0705042a6479ro0.pngblipo1cd.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ideal life:

Doing explosions for Hollywood and Mythbusters,and being paid.

At the same time,my entire series of books is published(well,one by one,to create some sense of suspense) and made into movies,in which I'm paid to have the lead role.The love of my life (And I do love her <3: ) watches it,remembers that I do love her,and suddenly calls me.We get married,have three children,all named by me and I have enough $$$ to retire at age 30.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

All I'd need is a small place to live, a computer, the interwebs, a place nearby with food, and then i'd be set for life. Not much work needed.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

The one I'm already living :D Although if I had it my way retirement would be closer than 30 :lol:

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

My ideal life, would imvolve me being a succesfull (rich) book author. Living in a warm country near a great beach...

To achieve this i must go from 8-) to :ugeek:

i250746823_89474_2.jpg

I love this sig.

My ideal life, would imvolve me being a succesfull (rich) book author. Living in a warm country near a great beach...

To achieve this i must go from 8-) to :ugeek:

More like :geek: to :ugeek:

:lol:

Anyone notice how any thread Goddess posts on instantly becomes a hit?Go post on Falador Library,Goddess :lol:

devilgod.jpeg

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Uhh... I don't know what to say to that lol :oops:

If I remember correctly you told me you were to be enlisted soon (sorry if I'm thinking of the wrong person.)

If you're interested in explosions the best thing to do is apply for either combat engineer or artillery - Get paid to blow things up for a living, build them and test them ;)

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Uhh... I don't know what to say to that lol :oops:

If I remember correctly you told me you were to be enlisted soon (sorry if I'm thinking of the wrong person.)

If you're interested in explosions the best thing to do is apply for either combat engineer or artillery - Get paid to blow things up for a living, build them and test them ;)

True,that.

Though my enlistment isn't permanent,its a 2-year thing.

I like how you remember things about people,guess its your job though ::'

Oh and by the way,my ideal life does not involve me being enlisted into BMT (Basic Military Training),just going in as a commanding officer.But since I can't do that,I toughen myself up so I can do the required 2.4 km in 8 minutes >.<

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

What I do for a living funnily enough doesn't even have anything to do with what I studied lol I mainly studied it for self development and improvement.

Although it's only a two year thing I thought I would at least attempt to cheer you up. You seemed a little down about being enlisted so I thought pointing out something similar to what you wanted to do would help you get through the two years comfortably :D

Who knows with your newly found blowing up skills myth busters might even want to take you on :lol:

My memory is actually really terrible lol but I try to make it a goal to get to know something about someone one person at a time.

igoddessIsig.png

Thats nice. By the way is your avatar your baby?My sister did the same thing on her facebook.

You know its people like you who keep my faith in humanity :D

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Sure is - The size of his head scares me :ohnoes:

igoddessIsig.png

My ideal life = A lost paradise Island about 10 Sq miles in size, all the resources I need to sustain life, a growth of cannabis plants and about 10-20 of my good friends and GF. No [cabbage] wages, jobs, taxes, mortgages. Just a makeshift hut, wild animals for dinner, collecting the resources I need and relaxing on a paradise beech while getting high in my free time. That is my ideal life, material possessions and wealth don't mean happiness.

My ideal life:

To spend the rest of my life with a girl that I truly love and that loves me back. Everything else would only be scenery. I guess if I had to pick, being a high school history teacher that coaches some sports.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Playing music and getting paid a large sum of money for doing so would be sweet, or even just enough for me to get by. It would beat the hell out of a tedious office job or something.

Also, knowing that all my friends and family stay in good health would be awesome as well.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Paid for my photography work, a girlfriend, a nice appartment and maybe a kid down the track. though i WILL get my hands on a Ford Mustang Mach1 sometime in my life. ::'

Popoto.~<3

Paid for my photography work, a girlfriend, a nice appartment and maybe a kid down the track. though i WILL get my hands on a Ford Mustang Mach1 sometime in my life. ::'

Don't you like need a camera that can access your computer for that? :lol:

But tbh I'd rather have a Mini Cooper,they're so damn cool.Perhaps a Union Jack on the top,and Ed,Iron Maiden's mascot on da'hood.

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Nah,I'd have a Jaguar with the Union Jack all over for that.And it'll be the Shaguar =).

Well I'd also call it the Austinmobile,but that reference is funnier with my friends.

Because my friend thought Austin Powers was Batman :lol:

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Well, my ideal life would include one major factor: Either owning my own Holistics or "spiritual" bookstore where I would teach theology and other things on the side, or being a Theology professor at some college somewhere. I think owning my own shop would probably be a better idea, because I'd be able to offer the courses at a cheaper price than a college tuition. I would love to have people learn about world religion, looking at it from all sides, not just the biases that each individual religion gives.

Other than that, maybe have my own house. If I don't own it, I'd at least have an apartment big enough to have a few reptilian friends around. And maybe teach my fiance to respect the no-legged reptiles.