Dan's Best Way To Blast Furnace Guide [Prices Updated 24/6]

Danqazmlp

Well this is well documented already, but it's nice to see a well laid out guide.

Bolts are always a problem: the price fluctuates excessively. If you have the patience then tipping them with emerald puts 50 onto the price and while thats only 3-4 extra profit it will sell a lot lot better. Enchanting adds a lot more profit and sells far easier, but is a very very slow and painful process so I dont advise it.

Four things to note:

1: If doing bolts dont bother doing straight 20s if you can work with slightly more, the 5% extra adds up fast.

2: Varrock Armour: when you have a high enough one for mithril there is a chance to smith faster. Basically a few times each invent it will smith a set of bolts in half the speed, heavily cutting overall time.

3: Don't do bolts these days, they are getting flooded onto the market and hard to sell. Consider Platebodies: since they use 5 bars at a time they are 5 times faster to smith, and so you can overall maybe double or triple your exp rate. For those you will have to work in 20s though. The slot you would have had for bolts is used for nats and you carry a staff to hi alch with. something like 300-400 profit per plate, but it's guaranteed profit, magic exp, faster smithing.

4: If you can do a little addy. You can't unnote addy there no, but bring a little extra coal and bring a full load + summon full of addy with you when you first enter the place. Make a load of addy bolts. If, like me, you dont have the patience to do more than 3000 mithril in a single push and then leave to do something else (or like me like to bolt off to do new quests) then this is an effective way to put all that addy ore to use that you've had in your bank and you've been putting off using. 340ish addy bolts is pretty fair for a freebe on the starter, they tip nicely and sell well.

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

• 4 weeks later...

Nice guide. I didn't realize you could have the coal and mith etc. un-noted. I thought you had to sell it to the store and then buy it, which would be losing if I can remember about 200 gp for coal and 800 gp per mith ore. I'll defiantly consider the furnace now.

acheron.jpg

Is it possible to renote items (ie. mithril bars, I don't have 60 smithing)?

Great guide , 10/10 :thumbsup:

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

Its good, but i noticed one thing - you can unnote mith ores much, much cheaper than 1.6k per 20.

Right click ordan - "trade"

Sell 10 mith ore, sell 10 mith ore again

Buy 50 mith ore (will fill invent)

Costs around 5gp per more, i think, so about 100gp for 20

100gp or 1.6k. And selling to the store is faster as well. :D

Alternate Philosophy:

"Things just happen. What the hell"

obliviousvk7.png

Updated the guide with todays prices, it seems that fletching and finishing the bolts is now a much better way to go, giving you an extra 9gp per bar. I've also compared the profit from alching items at blast furnace to making bolts (not shown it) and worked out it makes less than half as much profit.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• 4 weeks later...

Reply to RabidBaby: That method is now more expensive since the update to shops sometime last year that made shop prices change according to the G.E prices.

Bumping the guide, need alotta bumping now with the merged guides forum :ohnoes:

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

This is a great guide! I need my smithing up to 69 for my quest cape (and then 73 for the varrock diaries), so this will help a lot!

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

• 1 month later...

Well i don't actually give any info on exp as it is apart rom around 8.5k exp per 100 mith ore used. with a morphic hammer i'd estimate around 10-12k exp per 100 mith ore?

zqXeV.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Blast furnace is no longer profitable, you will now lose 10gp per bar!!(ALARM) However this is still a great way to minimise losses and get great smithing exp!

Mithril ore has gone up by over 100gp in the last 3 months, making a loss of 10gp per bar. This still blows all other mithril smithing out of the water however, as buying mith bars straight would still cost over 300gp per bar in losses.

zqXeV.jpg

• 5 months later...

So its been a while since i touched the guide, and since i last updated it, mithril ore has dropped in price making the blast furnace profitable once again (WOO!)

I'm planning on going back there soon to try out alching platebodies, so keep an eye out for when i update that.

zqXeV.jpg

40k xp per hour with only -4 gp per bar? I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

seriously, this is awesome. Well organized, SIMPLE TO READ, step by step, and calculations. Can this get anything other than 10/10? Awesome job =D>. Possible AOW? :pray:

Even if you lose 4 gp per bar, you get a bit of fletching xp. You lose ab it of money, but you could always kill chickens for the feathers (why would you? the time spent getting the feathers means you could have made much more cash). Anyway this gives a reason to get 60 smithing. I hate mining, and this involves none, so its an awesome way to get smithing xp for me. Sure, its nto as fast as gold smithing, but, its better since its so cheep.

Lack of crafting xp is a slight put off, since fletching xp can be easily gained in other ways, but if you don't need the xp, you can simply sell them unfinished, and buy stuff for crafting afterward. Its a win-win situation :thumbsup:.

I suppose this wouldn't work well with addy stuff, since avianses generate so many bars. Might work for rune though, and possibly steel as well.

Also, I think I heard blas furnace gives Iron a 100% smelting accuracy. Is this true? If so, I smell even more profit (at the cost of xp, but its also cheaper :lol:

Great method, I'm going for 69 for Rocking Out, and maybe 73 for Varrock diary, so this really helps me an immense amount.

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

I have been doing a lot of smithing on my way to 69 for quest/diary requirements and a few tips I give for you to add to this guide.

A) How to get there? Lots of people dislike going to Keldagrim since its a long travel. Try adding DKS Fairy ring --> Run to cave --> Enter the entrance right where you entered (confusing hé !!) and take the boatride to the city. There you are :D

Also, you can use the carts in the Dwarven mines or the Shortcut from Taverley to Catherby.

B) If you turn a SC-tool into a pickaxe you can wield it. This way, you can easily take an extra SC tool with you.

C) Always try to buy from the shop itself. They sell at GE mid price I believe and it saves the trouble and cost of un-noting! Cheaper and faster is never a bad thing.

D) Emphasize that helping out is very important! Very important. No working furnace means no bars. If you are ever going AFK, try to sit on the bike. You even get a little bit of agility experience for doing this.

E) Add a shot of an inventory with alching runes where people can make mith plates for faster experience which they alch. Try to make a time-comparison (or let someone do it) to see if its worth it. Time saved compared to extra cost gives a comparison in which you can calculate the earnings per hour to make it more efficient.

F) People can smith rune/addy ore aswell, don't forget to tell people this. Usually people will know this ofcourse, but its makes the guide a little more complete.

G) Your getting tired of tips right? :P

Good luck. I think this guide is on the right track, but its not complete. Keep up the updates and I believe it will be awesome!

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg