Weird name? Why not a normal name?

nzall

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the problem with making a creative name in a fantasy game. Look at the names of the Barrows brothers for example. It just fits into the whole mystical genre better.

While I hardly ever see a normal Human name around any MMO I play, I find it's entirely normal.

I'm proud to have a found the unique name of Bloodkay, and It's mine alone, as no one else (that I've seen so far) is using it. So it's all mine and fits quite nicely into most MMO's and has received compliments too xD

It's all personal taste~

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

one problem is that over 130 million accounts that have been created and that makes it hard sometimes to find a normal name.

Owned.

Define "normal" for me please.

It just goes to show that, though there's an age requirement, there's no IQ requirement to play RS.

kule2000rf7.jpg

Wait, my friend said he got a keylogger and lyke he coudln't type, so I assumed it messed up his hands?

My irl name is my RSN, which is very unique on it's own. I've seens some acc's like Amitoz Lover and Amitozshks... lol they were my friends most probably though.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Normal nicknames in Runescape are not the same as normal nicknames in Real life. While it may be normal to call yourself Bob the whatever in Real life, it is quite an abnormal name in Runescape. The majority of people pick Fantasy names, to go with the Fantasy of Runescape.

Ye dont regret my weird name (although i both rue and lament it...)

most normal names are usually taken (ie james) so the way i see it is if i gotta add numbers to use my name and spell it all "1337y" then why not just come up with something totally original

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

=]

I chose my user as it fits into the era perfectly. Before this, I used the name Alagurza (eragon fans will get it).

Canine, as your friend and classmate, I ask you this, how does the name Canineteeth fit into the fantasy era? Also, don't use text smileys, they look bad! Use the TIF smilies.

Normal names are boring, you see them everyday, and about thousands of other people have the SAME name as you do. OMG look: here comes a john, oo here's a sam, zomg that's a bob, here comes another john... OMG ANOTHER BOB! *yayayay!*

2480+ total

Coenvg is simply coen van ginkel and its kinda 'normal' because its my regular name.

and you rarely see people with the same first name + initials I guess.

(unless you mean John and such)

but coenvg sais nothing to most people,so people take a name like Phr33 St00f Pl0x, because more people understand them :wall: #-o .

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

My name was made from my mother's maiden name, when i was 12 years old: Shepard12

Of course i would rather have a cooler name, not particularly a "weird" name, but something funny, that other players would laugh at when they see it

I have since made dozens of names like "gimme g0ld" and "have my aids" that i would much rather be playing on...

I think that's why people choose "weird" names, because they think other players will like it

shepard12.png

By weird, do you mean like names with reasonable grammar "Pasta Cheif/Fudgewartz/Upside64" or complete randomness? "Frks5/Ykkper/99wcpls"?

My defintion of weird would be like the latter, but names like the first are not 'proper rl names' but names.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

one problem is that over 130 million accounts that have been created and that makes it hard sometimes to find a normal name.

Actually that is not really an issue, we can create an almost unlimited amount of names

for example

James uses 5 of the 12 letters one can use for his RSN. the other 7 can be used as numbers, all they way up to 9999999. That is almost 10 million names.

SO, 130 million names taken isn't very much at all. Although I wouldnt want my name to be Killer192847. i would have created a unique one.

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

When players first start they usually don't take the time on selecting a name that they know they'll enjoy the entire time they play, instead they are more anxious to start playing the actual game - which is a reason for some of the lame (in my opinion) names. As players get more involved into the game and/or see other players with 'cool' names, they may decide they want a character with an awesome name for themselves - this is where a lot of strange names come from and these reflect the individuals creativity, vast knowledge, culture, etc...or lack there of. Then we have our 'funny' names that players choose so they can think they are cool on an mmo - most of these are annoying but once in a while I'll see one that I like. Finally, skill oriented names (minigames included) became very popular in the recent years and were overpopulated in the final days of the wilderness.

Personally I wish I could change my name...it was one I chose back in the days of classic pking. *thinks about playing on Hellmooch again...realizes Hellmooch has no money and only a few stats up...stops thinking about it*

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Well for starters, if you want to use a "normal" name, you probably have to add in numbers unless you're one of the first game users. I know a lot of people prefer to not have numbers in their username so they'd rather come up with a unique name without numbers. I for one, would probably enjoy having the username "Ashley" but I wouldn't want "Ashley126."

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

They want to be different. With a string of random numbers and letters. And then another random string of numbers because the name is already taken. :|

Please note, I'm referring to the 'bad' 'original' names, not real original names.

(As for my name, well, when I was a bit younger back in early '03, I asked myself "What sounds like a cool name for your character?". "Oh, taken. I guess that makes sense." "Now whats your favorite number?" "Oh, taken, okay..." Repeat that process for 'Reaper' ---> 'Reaper88888' and you get my name... The worst part? Only one, maybe two of those accounts are ranked, and none of them have changed since I checked them in ~2005. <.< ) Guess I kinda ran on there...

Needless to say, I've named a few newer accounts with original names. (Salted Kill [old pure], Soylent Pet [new account]) :-#

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

I'm all in favour of original names. "Weird or Normal" depends on who is seeing it. At least with original names people are taking the time to think of something unique, I must see at least 10 people a day with the name "zezima1326" (or whatever sequence of numbers). And as for leetspeak names, thumbs down imo.

fail124.jpgfailbait.png

Fire Cape - Aug 14, 08.

coolnamefailbaitedit.jpg

Like Madmanpur3 said, I was more anxious to actually start playing RS than I was in choosing my RS name (hence all the numbers). I didn't feel like starting a new account with a better name so I just kept playing on my current one.

19205215.png