Will inactivity kill a clan?

Dbzruler72

The obvious choice may be "yes," but if thinking is done a bit deeper, the answer may be different. Inactivity, along with new leadership, merges, bad members (snowball effect), & lack of communication, can drive a clan to the ground. Despite activity slumps, some clans recover in a week or a month.

During inactivity, a leader may prefer to close the clan instead of letting it suffer until it's completely dead. Another leader may try to battle it out by contacting inactives, mass recruiting, or asking friends. Veteran clans don't have this type of problem, but for up & coming clans, with half the memberlist on vacation, activity is the new enemy.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

I've had a clan fade out, and it was restarted on the day it was supposed to close. The next time, it actually closed for 3 months. Inactivity was a HUGE factor. 70 people on your memberlist means nothing if only 15 or so care.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Activity is probably the most important factor in a clan, which is why we always have around 5 events a week, if not more. People join clans to attend the events, and if there are none then there's no reason why new people would join the clan, and why existing members would stay. The clan may have a good community, but then the lack of events would certainly lead to the downfall of it.

s_dav135.png

Well, my clan always goes through a inactive time during this part of the year (with exams, vacations, summer jobs). As soon as the schools and stuff re-open, most people return back to their active selves.

The people that stay active form a closer band during that time thou.

activity kills clans full stop, but through inactive times you find your true loyal members.

Proud Warlord of Dragonwood

If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how? ~ Joan Baez

Rest in Peace 3xtermination

Tipitsignature.gif

Yes I do believe inactivity can kill a clan, cause it's killing mine right now...I was gone 4 two weeks and attendance has gone down

Not many people in my clan really care that much so it's always low anyway, but it has gotten lower.

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

To answer the question in the topic: No...

We have a specific topic on our forums where people can report that they're going on vacation or otherwise will be unable to play RS for a while... This system is pretty secure as the information on there is posted on a thread only visible and edit-able by all staff, so if we wonder about someone being inactive, we can look it up right there...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

yes, but, especially with newer members, that forum isn't always used.

i don't think inactivity will directly make the clan will die, but it will most assuredly lower the leaders morale to the point where he may drop the clan entirely. Luckily for my clan, our assistant leader was more into the clan anyways.

e_gladiators.gif

I think inactivity comes due to leaders and ranked members (1) being lazy and not working on recruitment and (2) kicking members OR not preventing from leaving members that are having problems with other members.

090831004444.png

Inactivity only kills clans if the people are playing while its inactive. For example, with Punc's clan, it is inactive during times of exams and vacations and such, which means the people aren't sitting in runescape, bored and alone, waiting for their clan to come back.

So basically, it won't go inactive unless people are there to miss it. This is unfortunately the same for clans that get back together as well. If no one misses it, it isn't gonna come back.

So yes, inactivity can kill clans, but only if not everyone is inactive.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

I dont see a clan as "Stagnate". It goes with the flow and morphs to the tide. case in point.

I once was in a clan, it died due to inactivity. After 1.5 years it came back :) So, no I don't think clans can really die. People might meet each other again and try to remake the clan.

A clan may "die" off for up to a couple years however as long as players from that clan still remember experiences from it then it wont ever truly die off and can always be revived either thru old members wanting to bring it back or someone with similar ideas and name for a clan. HOWEVER it can never be truly the same as it once was. EVEN if the clan never collapsed in the first place. Clans change as the people that are in them effect every bit of it. thus leaving an imprint on it that will forever alter it in some way.

killtyrant.png

killtyrant.png

Inactivity has killed my clans many times. The one I currently lead is different, we always seem to bounce back eventually, and the only reason it is still alive today is because I refused to shut it down. Clans have their high and low [bleep]es, rarely does a clan recover from a big inactivity wave and then it 'dies'. If you keep trying out of persistence a clan can make it.

My clan has been through most of the major "fatal blows" a clan can be dealt; A change in leaders, bad members (Some of the most charismatic members have left, once when we were just starting and again in February) and rempant inactivity. Things got so bad, I was promoted staight from a meager position directly to a leadership role due to my activity on RuneScape and our forums. We survived the collapse of PKing as well, losing only 5 members. We've been fairly lucky, but even now, my clan is still dieing. Members rarely come to events, even if they say they will. Its heartbreaking to see a clan I helped start up again collapse because of pure laziness. Its why we entered the tournament.

Apart from my sob story, I believe inactivity and mergers can only kill clans without a "bond" of sort, much like close friends stay in contact years after they split. Its the memories and the fun that'll keep a clan together, which is why vet clans are able to revive. Perhaps my view is purely romantic, but I perfer it ^^

RuneScape junkie since 3/03.

RED CHIN TRAINING DEVALUES THE RANGED CAPE!

Well, at the moment Militos Deci is going through an inactivity that almost killed us, and might still do, so yes, inactivity is one of the deadliest killers around in a clan.

22031_s.gif

Depending on the severity of the inactiveness.

I'm an old leader of a clan, (that has died many times, and yet has risen from its ashes just as many times as it has fallen) and after my time as leader (not my fault! parents kicked me off of RS, and my clan didn't have enough able leaders to keep it running), a former member of the clan restarted the clan, and lets just say he wasn't the best of leaders.

I decided to step in, even though I told myself I would do no such thing when I joined, and I tried my darnest to put the clan back together.

We only had a few active people, so I tried countless times to contact the inactive people, no success.

So I tried to do mass recruiting. Very few people were online for the recruiting events, so another failure.

So the 3rd try, I decided to do something different; run the clan as normal: no recruiting events, no trying to contact inactives (just booting them), and it worked for a short while.

Still had the same few people going to events, ect. ect.

So, I finally had my fill of trying to run the clan, so I got mad at the people that were really supposed to be running the clan this time. We had a lot of disagreements, and it finally came down to them quitting, or me quitting.

I decided to quit for a while, using an excuse that I was trying to get my quest cape back.

The 'real' leaders did nothing to help the clan.

When I left, I knew the clan was going to do soon.

Then one of the leaders got kicked off of Rs for a while due to RL issues, then the other decided to quit the clan to work on getting his own cape -.-

So, I rejoined, and after a few days, I told them that either he put in enough work to get this clan going again, or that that we close the clan.

We closed it.

*Whew!*

Sorry for the long post, but just had to get that burden off my shoulders :(

So yes, Inactiveness can kill a clan if the leaders aren't willing or able.

boomer-one.png

RuneSlayer.com

Psst, try refreshing! Watch the sig!

Quite funny actually, I have to make this decision at my clan as well. I'm an admin over at COS, and for the last about 2 months the other 2 admins, and 2 leaders have been really inactive. So for the most part I was trying to run the clan without them. Now I've gotten busy with a job, soccer, and family stuff, and still nobody is really that active yet. Tbh I don't really want to resign, but I feel that it's necessary considering that we have no active admin+