Once you go WOW, you never go back?

Yohbilleh

No no, this entire topic is inaccurate. It's "Once you play a first person shooter and become pro at online tournaments, and then realize that mmorpg's are never really "hard" considering all you have to do is "grind" and locate where you're going to grind, you'll never go back". Don't flame me on this, I still like Mmorpg's, I just don't consider them much of a challenge compared to fps games. Plus, I've have a lot better NON CYBERING experiences on shooting games (no, I haven't play xbox live, so I haven't been tbagged before. Ever). :twisted:

I think that bioshock 2 should use the rainbow six vegas 2 engine and have a vegas 2-style multiplayer where players play as splicers.

Amazing idea or super amazing idea?

That is completely off topic. But, it's a cool idea...though I didn't like bioshock much. It took away to much shooter to add roleplaying elements into it. It scared me though...just got stale after 30 minutes. Also, try Timesplitters Gameplay. A lot more action. Oh and it's a "Amazing idea". I didn't like vegas to that much either (still beats halo3 at least).

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the whole thread but I'm going to post as I play both.

Comparing the games is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruits and that's about it.

RS and WoW are both MMOs but that's about all.

RS has a really strong focus on making a character and sticking with that character for a long time because you have TONS of things to do. It involves tons of grinding and doesn't require teamwork or even your full attention for the most part. RS can be either based on combat, skills, or both since you can do ALL skills at once.

WoW is more focused on getting one character to 70 (which can take as little as a week depending on your skill and how much you play) then doing your weekly raids or whatever, then working on another character. Pretty much the entire game is team based and requires tons of attention. It's extremely combat based. You can only have 2 primary professions at once and raising them takes basically no time. (I did 1-375 mining [that's maxed out] in one day)

Another gigantic difference is the role the community plays in the game. Runescape's community (including official forums and fansites) is pretty much vital to the game's success. WoW's community barely extends past the official forums (aside from a few fan sites...but none hold the kind of lnfluence that a site like Tip.It holds on RS) which are mostly a spamfest of people from 4chan. :S

Comparing them is rather silly because they're totally different and honestly aimed at different people.

99 Crafting, Fletching, Cooking, Magic - Fire Cape - 1900+ Total

Another gigantic difference is the role the community plays in the game. Runescape's community (including official forums and fansites) is pretty much vital to the game's success. WoW's community barely extends past the official forums (aside from a few fan sites...but none hold the kind of lnfluence that a site like Tip.It holds on RS) which are mostly a spamfest of people from 4chan. :S
Not true. A huge part of WoW is it's community, as things like guilds, raiding, and pvp at lower levels all have huge communities both ingame and on separate forums.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

Not true. A huge part of WoW is it's community, as things like guilds, raiding, and pvp at lower levels all have huge communities both ingame and on separate forums.

I meant the fansites. It's obvious that guilds have websites as it's just easier to communicate with a guild as a whole when you use a website. But it doesn't have communities like tip.it really. I mean you could argue that Elitist Jerks, Wowhead, and Thottbot are kind of like it, but they're also very different. I don't think WoW has a website that influences the game as much as sites like Tip.It do on RS.

99 Crafting, Fletching, Cooking, Magic - Fire Cape - 1900+ Total

Never checked out wow, but aren't their suscription fees more than RS? I heard it's constant grinding of hours and hours after lvl 60 or 70. I didn't even grind at all in RS, I just had fun, even if hours of 'fun'.

I never liked the expansion sets and etc. I guess they have way better graphics or gameplay? Hard to really imagine that though, since it's not so bad here.

99 Fletch~~99 WC~~79/81 Fishing

87/94 Magic~~84 Range

Etha! Saradomin Forever~CW

CB: 107 Total: 1788+

ON BREAK

Money is moeny, 12 dollers per month to some people is a lot of money
.Very true, but still, $12 is nothing to wet your pants over.
For a game it is, 1 year of wow is $144.00. That is more then a week of food.. :roll:

Hey, if the game is so good that you play one full year, you ought to thank them with that kind of money.

And you compare it to one week of food, its not like you need to buy a year suscription and then starve to death because you're out of money.

12 bucks a month is not much, its just more then RS charges. You would probably earn that kind of money if you live in the big city and beg other people at the trainstation for some change in about an hour or two.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

I find wow way less time consuming, fun and more social.In fact i play half as much as i did when i was hardcore into RS, have a priest at lvl cap and a warrior,druid and warlock high up the lvl's and im playing with my mum (yeah she plays aswell while my mums on the mend) which can only be good.Im not going to sound like most wow players who dont classify runescape as an MMO because runescape is a real engrossing game when you get into it, but i dont think i can now go back to rs like i was before, the depth of content that it has, how skills have a real impact on the game and just how a real awesome piece of gear looks on your character when you receive is something i wouldnt get with runescape.Its just the way that blizzard is in the top 3 gaming publishers in the world and making $200 million dollars a month that they can just keep ahead of the competition so i cant compare Runescape to WOW fairly but yeah, i dont think i can truly go back to runescape,

Onto some incorrect assumptions from posters in this thread...

Wows community doenst just extend to forums, theres radio stations, countless podcasts about the game, player meetups, blizzard tournaments and even memoriums from blizzard to deceased players.Theres a famous story of a player with cancer who played with his dad and they hooked him up with an incredible day out, giving him unique in game items and an in game memorial with his character and pet.

As a disclaimer, I do like rs.

PastyGangsta wrote:

1. Some of the noobs are worse than ours, and thats certainly saying something!

The monthly fee and game mechanics means that unless your hanging out in starting areas you rarely see noobs or beggars in the capital cities, wow is pretty good at weeding out the noobs pretty early, and a 9 year old kid wont do well creating an account and paying the monthly fee.

PastyGangsta wrote:

2. The gameplay is... lacking, to put it nicely.

The more button orientated nature of wow i think just makes the gameplay a lot more deep and fun that just a click interface so i cant compare but thats an idiotic statement with how deep the gameplay is in Raids and arena/battleground pvp.

PastyGangsta wrote:

3. The monthly payment (1 word... DAMN!)

WoW for anyone who plays it regularily has n extremely reasonable monthly payment, its worth 2x as much as RS and thats being conservative.

PastyGangsta wrote:

4. The whole RWTing thing is like madness on there...

RWTing didnt break the game like it did with RS, i can give gold or items to my freinds in WOW but i cannot anymore in Runescape which just plain sucks.Blizzard has also taken a big stand against botters and gold sellers taking them to court or implementing code into the game which openly shows blizzard that bot is in use.Also wow encourages macro's to an extent that it aids the player in not pressing 6 keys or switching between things.,

PastyGangsta wrote:

5. Hardly any updates.

Wow comes out with patches which are equivalent to a years worth of RS maybe even 2 years of RS updates.To show you the last content patch,2.4 was pretty big but the largest singular patch 2.3 was 30 pages long when printed out.

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/02/12 ... -released/

You cannot say that blizzard barely releases stuff when theyre constnatly adding things on there test realm and implementing them in mini patches, its why millions of people still play the game and that will riseincredibly with the next expansion.

tifsdac6mc.gif

I play WoW, but only at friends' houses (and on their accounts). No way am I going to get myself hooked on World of Warcrack. Though I've played enough of both to state the following...

WoW

Overall, more intelligent community (comes from th $15/mo requirement)

Easier chat system

Limits professions so there isn't a huge gap between supply and demand (being s>d)

Unlimited run

Wider scope of abilities, allowing for...

Strategizing

Prettier

RS

Can solo the entire game

Can be anything, limited only by levels

Can hop servers to play with friends

Minigames

Interesting, exciting, or funny quests

Instant travel

I'm sure there's more, but in the end it all adds up to which you prefer more. And honestly, if I want a more intelligent community as well as strategizing, I'll just fire up Diablo 2 which costs me - get this - $0 a month. And, the grinding doesn't suck in D2.

First skill to 70...

zaybex.png

WoW may have better graphics than RS, but I've noticed that the better graphics a game has, the worse it is.

:lol:

-.-

I have seen an atari at my local gameshop for sale, I could buy it for you so you can play pacman and tetris.

Then again I hope you don't really seriously mean that games with better graphics automatically lack gameplay more then graphically disabled games.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

From a journalistic point of view, most of us really shouldn't say which of the two is better since we have a strong bias opinion since almost all of us play RS and not WoW.

I haven't played WoW for a few reasons: the cost + rumors of strong addictivity (is that a word?). I didn't wanna get hooked on a game, and ironically, got hooked not on phonics, but RS.

It just goes to show that, though there's an age requirement, there's no IQ requirement to play RS.

kule2000rf7.jpg

Wait, my friend said he got a keylogger and lyke he coudln't type, so I assumed it messed up his hands?

just tryed wow for 5 hours. man that is confusing, and i am a quick learner :-k

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

I've been an off and on WoW player. I started last year in june, went from level 1-44 on my warlock, then left for about a year because I was getting bored at how long leveling was taking me personally.

Yes, coming from RS I was so used to grinding that I found myself grinding on WoW...a lot...

Then I discovered the greatness of mods, and quickly found a quest helper mod, and coordinates. Makes things so much easier when I know exactly where to go. Those quest descriptions don't always give an exact direction O_o

Well, i left for about..like 6 months or so to play RS again, came back to WoW in late january after summoning failed to hold my attention.

I went from 44-70 in maybe...2 weeks or so of casual play, and by the time i left warcraft a second time in early june of this year, I had attained level 375 tailoring, 362 engineering, and pretty much the best gear I could get before going to heroics or beginning Kara.

Want to know the biggest problem i had? Anyone I made friends with was always too busy doing whatever they were doing to go into instances, my guild wasn't anywhere near ready to raid Kara, and PVP was getting really, really boring after going through Alterac Valley for the 200th time to get honor points for the pieces of pvp armor that would make my Warlock better.

I had maybe 5 friends I talked to daily on WoW, and maybe a few more that i'd talk to occasionally on the guild chat. Now I'm coming from RuneScape, where my members friend list is almost ALWAYS full, I always have people to talk to, and I always have people to do stuff with.

Do I hate WoW? No. Infact if i had some more friends on there, and a guild that was Raid ready, MAYBE i'd bother paying out $15 to keep playing it. I'll most likely give it another shot when Wrath of the Lich King comes out.

WoW may have better graphics than RS, but I've noticed that the better graphics a game has, the worse it is.

WTF?

I play WoW, but only at friends' houses (and on their accounts)Well that shoots down your arguments straight away and sharing accounts is against the TOS. No way am I going to get myself hooked on World of Warcrack. Though I've played enough of both to state the following...That joke was relevant in 2005, the amount of people addicted to wow categorically aint that high, its a very casual game now.

WoW

Overall, more intelligent community (comes from th $15/mo requirement)Its worth $15 it also keeps ittle jimmy the 11 year old cussing halo player who begs in lumbridge

Easier chat system

Limits professions so there isn't a huge gap between supply and demand (being s>d)Wow proffessions are exponentially more open and useful than RS skills.Proffesions can impact on gear itemization or can add really fun things like a helicopter you can ride

Unlimited runThe run mechanic in RS is just a joke, its the only MMO to use such a thing...And you know why?because it freakin blows and its completly uneccessary, if they had a better path finding algorithem they wouldnt need that crap mechanic

Wider scope of abilities, allowing for...

Strategizing

Prettier

RS

Can solo the entire game In wow you can solo to level cap, in fct you have always been able to but y'know what?Grouping is fun and when you get a good guild it makes you ask how you could live without it.

Can be anything, limited only by levels The character classes in wow are very differant, if you dont like the character youre playing make a new one, you can be what you want to be and you are not limited by skills

Can hop servers to play with friends Ok this is something you cannot do in wow but thats there for a reason, players changing servers all the time and selling items from a PVE server to a PVP server can have huge rammifications which is why RS's economy was on the floor and now jagex is controlling it fully with the GE.

Minigames

Interesting, exciting, or funny quests How about storming through a capital city declaring war on a legion of dragons?A quest chain which leads you to infiltrating an orc fortress, being uncovered and rescued by an enormous dragon?How about sifting through antelope dung to find berries to make a pie?Or jumping on a giant trampoline to get a goblin a birds egg?WoW's quests at times are phenomenal

Instant travel Ok a mage can teleport around with ease but we have to ride hippogryphs, Griffins, Dragons and bats around, although i must admit it can suck taking a 9 minute flight but take a break...

I'm sure there's more, but in the end it all adds up to which you prefer more. And honestly, if I want a more intelligent community as well as strategizing, I'll just fire up Diablo 2 which costs me - get this - $0 a month. And, the grinding doesn't suck in D2.I love diablo 2 aswell but its free because its not an MMO and your not paying for content patches, also not very many people grind in WOW anymore, most of these ideas were founded in the year of 2005 when people were just findng anything to knock down WO, also i grinded more dungeons in that game than i think i ever grinded in any game.

The biggest misconception is that wow is just grinding endlessly for leveles and tahts why you think this is because you come from a game which is all about grinding.Why do you think people pick slayer to level combat?because its not as bad as just grinding one mob and grinding gold,skills are you grinding whether it be burning logs or running round a course.You cannot criticize wow as being complete grinding when you play RS and runescape is one of the worst offenders for making you grind.

tifsdac6mc.gif

in a single word... yes, WoW is better than runescape.

that being said, NEVER play WoW, i played it once at a friends house, and couldn't stop. :wall:

i'm thinking of taking up smoking, or crack, to try and transfer my addiction. :roll:

EDIT: except for the forums.... if its any kind of hint, the picture icon above the forums index is a troll... figure that one out. :roll:

nudist hippy vegan elves who inexplicably wear leather.

:lol:

-.-

I have seen an atari at my local gameshop for sale, I could buy it for you so you can play pacman and tetris.

Then again I hope you don't really seriously mean that games with better graphics automatically lack gameplay more then graphically disabled games.

Pacman owns, you can ship it to me if you like \'

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

I dont know much about Wow, but does Dota count as it?

Cuz the reason most of my friends/ people I know play Dota instead of Runescape is because of the graphics (not any more), they cant buy prepaid cards and have to rely on themselves to level up rather than party/teaming.

I'd like to try WoW, but Im not willing to spend money on the disc and leave Runescape for it.

DotA is the best out of all three of these games.

But it is a one time fee of 20 dollars. It isn't really an MMO either.

It is a mod for WC3 TFT. I play, if somebody wants more info I can give it.

And discussing DotA here is kinda stupid because you don't track progress. Every game you start over.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Never played WoW. I heard it's literally addicting, it costs a lot, and after seeing a couple videos and screenies of the graphics it seemed too flashy to me. Tbh I really don't like video games very much, the only ones that have ever interested me are the Zelda series and RS.

Although I will admit WoW has hilarious commercials :P

Range_0r.png

Anyways, BBL OFF TO SLEEP WITH A RACCOON

I have played both games and in my opinion, both games are great in their own way. You can't exactly compare the two games, because they are both extremely different from each other. However, if i had to choose between playing RS and WOW for 10 hours, i think i would go with RS because there are more things for me to do.

archsupportei2.png

There is no lag at WoW.

Speaking of extremely easy game, runescape is evene easier.

Gameplay of WoW is much better then Runescape, runescape is much more repetitive.

Most people who play RuneScape can't afford the godly computers required to run lag-less in WoW.

WoW is killing monsters over and over again for a week until you hit level 70. You're right that's way harder and nowhere near as repetitive as the 20+ skills, great story lines, and tons of quests and mini-games RuneScape has. Yes, WoW has much better gameplay...

And runescape isn't? Runescape is much more repetitive than WoW, sorry guys. Runescape is simply grinding as well, and some quests. Yes, there are some awesome story lines in RS, unfortunately Jagex hasn't even completed half of them. WoW has loads of storylines as well in quests, you get to learn about all the history of how WoW is today due to the Three years of Warcraft, the invasion from the Burning Legion, and the Scourge. Not all the characters look the same. I'm on a not super awesome l33t lap top and I run WoW fine in windowed mode. Graphics are nicer, PVP is fun (Especially on a PVP server :D), Lots of good people, fun instances, raids, clan support, battle grounds, etc.

Runescape may have 20+ skills, but you level them all the same. Get the mats and then grind them to 99.

Not to be biased on this subject, I retired, and I ended up playing WoW, still playing it in fact. I have an awesome guild who helps their lowbies and runs instances and will quest with people. Also, WoW is bigger, more areas, all with different stories and quests. Runescape lacks this, I mean Jagex hasn't updated the elf lands in how long? I played RS for about 6 years starting in RSC, and quit last year in December I believe. I still drop by now and then to say hi though. I may or may not come back to RS, but at this rate it's a no I won't be.

So yes, once you go WoW (I'd say abou 80% of people) you never go back. :P

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

WoW is boring after you play it for over 3 years and have all but 2 classes at 70. But RS is boring too. And EQ2. And EvE. And HLG. And AoC. And LOTRO. Too bad, so sad. I still play around with most of them, got nothing better.

DjMike.png