FM needs good update, read tifers ideas 5K+ Views!

Dire_Wolf

Ok, i found the FM update ok. Before i start: please clearly say if you agree if FM needs update. But the thing has not changed, fm is still useless. Sure you can do pyreships and shade burning, but FM should be put to good use. So all who agrees to a new update (hope asking this is oki mods), post on this thread about your support. I wanna see how many supports this, and hope this reaches Jagex.

Many Tifers who want FM to get a "Real" update

SirHemen

Killerred005

ShadowFire

Mercifull

MelosWoodlanders

ikeforever

Danil445

Newfie_Chris

STDracula

hawkxs

Support Signature (by Danil445)

f_FiremakingIm_366fb8a.png

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=749781][img=http://img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/9/14/f_FiremakingIm_366fb8a.png][/url]

[hide=Just some of the People with ideas for what a update can be on this thread]

Yeah Firemaking is pretty useless. It would be cool if you could use fm to light different things or enemies on fire. Like if you got to level 30 you could melt ice warriors. (That would be useful for getting charms)

And once you reach level 50 you can light fire works to celebrate your achievements! :thumbsup:

And when enemies died. Instead of dropping bones, theyd drop certain ashes. And the ashes would vary from monster to monster. They could be different values. It would give a whole different view of the skill.

Making money off of FM? <------ 1337 :ugeek:

Player Burining mini game anyone?

Apart from fire arrows suggested already.

Maybe new types of fires you can build for various reasons, like perhaps having to build a certain type of fire to cook a new type of food on that heals well.

And other types of fires you could build to help boost another skills, like maybe some kind of ritual burning to get more prayer exp (similar to altars). Different types of fires to craft or smith new items or fires to prepare certain ingredients or herbs for potions.

With the new lighting system on high detail maybe new torches to light up darker areas or something could be incorparated too.

Just a few off the top of my head.

The skill has a lot of unused potential that's for sure.

FM would be great to use in combat. It can be used for many strategic purposes but will have some (possibly) nasty side effects.

Maybe players and monsters will receive damage when walking over campfires but having regular boots or some other equipment on your feet will prevent all damage from standing on a campfire. This could be considered fire damage where some monsters are immune to fire damage and some could even absorb fire damage and heal. Also the ability to create a bonfire which forces monsters (that can be damaged from fire) two squares away and be a temporary shelter for everybody but all monsters that was scared away by the bonfire will become aggressive to everybody that is in the bonfire safe area. The bonfire will take up a 2x2 space on the map and logs can be added to the bonfire at anytime to increase the amount of time before the fire goes out.

Weapons could even be lit on fire for a certain amount of time to deal regular damage with the addition of fire damage. Fire can also be a new type of poison where you (or the monsters) are set aflame and receive damage at intervals of time while the amount of damage decreases each time until the monster (or player) is no longer lit or death. Maybe the initial damage was 5 and then next is 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 and then the monster (or player) is no longer lit. What sets being lit on fire different than poison is that the lit counter stacks so if you are set to receive 3 damage next for the lit status and the monster deals the lit status of 5 again, the counter for the lit status will go up 8 and count down from there. This causes more damage if you add to the lit counter before it hits 0 than waiting for the counter to hit 0 and then reset the lit counter.

Also using water (can be in a jug, bowl, bucket, etc.) on a player/monster that is lit will remove 5 from the lit counter and also put campfires and bonfires out.

I think a good addition to the skill would be flaming arrows. Yes, I know there's flaming arrows for the underground pass quest. And no, I don't think they're all that useful. I'm thinking of arrows that actually do lots of damage, and like said at an earlier part of the thread, the monsters you kill drop ashes. Maybe some bone fragments. Then you could do a barbarian style thing with the bone fragments and ashes and burn them all to ashes and bury, for better prayer Xp than normal, say double.

FM does have very few uses at the moment, and only 2 of which actually *make* profit. But its not the only skill which isnt complete after like level 70-80+.

Changes I would like to see made, is making an actual use of the byproducts, eg. Ashes. Instead of just "Ashes", each log should have its own type of ashes. eg. Magic Ashes, Yew Ashes.. ect.

Each ash would have a different use tieing into different skills. Making it somewhat profitable/less of a loss.

Magic Ashes - 2nd Ingredient for Phoenix Summon

Yew Ashes - 2nd Ingredient for Herblore Potion?

Mahogany Ashes - 2nd Ingredient for Construction Related Summon

Maple Ashes - Other Uses?

Ashes - Current Uses

Another possible idea is to make throwing sticks you could set on fire as a ranged weapon. This would also tie into fletching. Example fletching 1 magic log into 10 throwing sticks. You could set them on fire for additional magic based damage.

I could see some potential updates for firemaking.

•  
    [*:3i2h6snr]The flaming weapons/arrows that were already mentioned earlier, that would hit especially water/ice based monsters very well (waterfiends anyone?).

[*:3i2h6snr] Maybe some more integrating towards cooking; the better your firemaking the less you burn food.

[*:3i2h6snr] The higher your firemaking level the longer is your antifire potion effect. Or maybe even more resistant against dragonfire.

[*:3i2h6snr] Tinderbox that you can wield. :lol: (and burn option for logs)

[*:3i2h6snr] Firespells hitting better with higher firemaking. :-k

The old point of Firemaking, which was lighting fires for others to cook them with, is now beyond moot. Take a look at the world map -- there's hundreds of ranges available now, and I've yet to see any player light a fire on the docks and let others take advantage of it.

Let's be for real about this. If Firemaking were to receive a [desperately needed] facelift, what would that entail? Fire's usefulness only extends so far in RuneScape, where so many places have no need for it.

My preference would be that the Shades of Mort'ton minigame get a revamping, making it possible to get more blessed oils before it crumbles, and amp up the rewards (possibility of a guaranteed valuable Treasure Trail Item from Fiyr shades). Barbarian Pyre logs only go so far, since few people get them as drops (50 miths, zero bones), and you only get to do it once, meaning it's neither constructive nor productive.

I had a suggestion a long time ago in the "High Level Skills" thread, back when Mod Craddock was running it. My idea was that you could throw fire on your opponent for additional damage, lighting fire and doing medium damage to those with flammable things on (capes, magic robes). Of course, that'd be better suited to flaming arrows in bulk, but a man can only dream.

Oh, one more question -- who else here wants to see Firemaking + Barrel Bombs finally unite?

Don't know if this has been said yet, but a good way to update firemaking would be to light weapons on fire. You could use the chemist still thing to make oil, and with a high enough firemaking level, put it on the weapon, then light it up. It could work like crystal where it would loose fuel after a while a go out. Better firemaking equals longer lasting fires and higher weapon that can be lit.

Flaming Whip anyone?

Fireworks, have, will, and will continue to be the best idea I have ever heard for firemaking.

:thumbup:

I'm not quite sure if it was mentioned yet, but........

In addition to the fire weapons, how about adding a status inflicting fire effect similar to poison? think about.....

you hit the target, then after a while the burn effect would hit him between 6-7

No problem! ::'

I got a suggestion, it's from the RSOF, but I edited it a lot.

Enchanted Tinderboxes

What can it be used for: This handheld tinderbox can be used for special abilities, and for log burning.

How to get these: You can enchant them by asking the Firemaking master about enchanted tinderboxes, he will send you to the leader of the Magic Guild, he could enchant your tinderbox. You need 66 magic to enter the Magic Guild.

Additional information: When you click 'Operate' Enchanted Tinderbox, the Spellbook tab will get filled by special abilities. These abilities could inflict burn damage. Burn damage inflicts three quick hits, hitting up to 5. If you open the Combat Style screen, there will be a bar (not the Special Attack bar). The bar regenerates as fast as the Special Attack bar. If you burn Magic logs, you can use the Magic Ashes to make a Firemaking Potion. This will boost your Firemaking by 10%, and will refill your bar by 12% to 50%.

[hide=Special Abilities]Fireball: A fireball gets shot from the tinderbox, damaging your enemy up to 4. Could also be used to lit logs from a distance, or to burn thorns (post 258).

Requirements: 9 Firemaking.

Drain: 25%.

Exp gained: 17.

Chance of burning: 3%.

Max Burn Damage: 2

Small Flame: If a row of logs (max 3) lays in front of you, the tinderbox will lit them all.

Requirements: 18 Firemaking.

Drain: 33%.

Exp gained: 30 + the logs.

Chance of burning: -

Max Burn Damage: -

Fire Attack: Casts the highest fire Magic spell that you are able to use.

Requirements: 36 Firemaking, 13/35/59 Magic.

Drain: 40%.

Exp gained: 95.

Flame Jail*: Flames will surround the enemy where the ability has been cast on, which makes it unable to move. The flames disappear after 6 to 10 seconds. If the enemy attempts to walk through it, it will take up to 4 damage, and will jump back.

Requirements: 45 Firemaking.

Drain: 40%.

Exp gained: 175.

Strong wind*=: Strong wind will be released from the tinderbox, which makes the flames hit the enemy, which will burn.

Requirements: 54 Firemaking, some lit logs.

Drain: 66%.

Exp gained: 500.

Chance of burning: 100%.

Max Burn Damage: 5.

Fire Cover*: Protects you from fire attacks for 100%, but will increase the damage of water and ice attacks by 25%.

Requirements: 63 Firemaking.

Drain: 75%.

Exp gained: 1000.

Flame: If there is a row of (max 6) logs in front of you, a flame will release from the tinderbox, putting all logs on fire. You will get Firemaking experience of any log burnt.

Requirements: 72 Firemaking.

Drain: 33%.

Exp gained: 500 + the logs.

Flamespot*: Flames raise from the ground in front of you, which enemies can't pass (1x1 area). Useful for Safespotting. It disappears after 60 seconds.

Requirements: 81 Firemaking.

Drain: 66%.

Exp gained: 700.

Shield of Fire*: A fire orb will appear in your tinderbox, growing and growing until it is the size of a 3x3 area, it will be a fire circle. If an enemy crosses it, it will get hit every half of a second by a maximum of 3. After 60 seconds, the shield disappears.

Requirements: 90 Firemaking.

Drain: 100%.

Exp gained: 900.

Burning Meteor*: 15 seconds after casting, a meteor will strike your opponent. It can hit up to 40, and could inflict burn damage*, but it can burn yourself too.

Requirements: 99 Firemaking, 90 Magic.

Drain: 100%.

Exp gained: 2500.

Chance of burning: 75%.

Max Burn Damage: 6.

*: Members only.[/hide]

OLD POST

Why is it that this skill is looked down by so many players? And even by Jagex??? Also what do you think Jagex has plans with this skill???

Do you think it's worth leveling?? What's your op pion on this.

My experience with it: As i am F2P now, i am cutting yews and burning em ;) 4 players shouted comments at me for "Burning them" and i remember 2 of them...

Player said: "That's value your burning!!!!!!!!" (HE said also: "He's burning 11K"reffering to me<<)

other player said "YOUR A MONSTER!!!"

Even though this skill seems worthless to me at this point, i got a feeling it can be good in future. I don't know if Jagex just were careless when they made this skill, but there gotta be a way to put it's potential to use.

Discuess...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot, if I had the money to buy Yews, I sure as hell would be burning them right with you. (Going for 98 FM, banked with Maples)

The only real problem with FM is that it has no practical use beyond...level 95 I believe, and even then, it's not a practical purpose at all. Shade/Vyrewatch burning isn't all that profitable/eventful, and getting the supplies for either take a lot of time.

It's a good skill, it just doesn't have a practical use in the game anymore. What good is it burning Magic pyres if I'm going to get the exact same reward as I would burning Yew?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

There isn't much use for it anymore but I'd hope Jagex would make a use for it sometime.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Why is it that this skill is looked down by so many players? And even by Jagex??? Also what do you think Jagex has plans with this skill???

Do you think it's worth leveling?? What's your op pion on this.

My experience with it: As i am F2P now, i am cutting yews and burning em ;) 4 players shouted comments at me for "Burning them" and i remember 2 of them...

Player said: "That's value your burning!!!!!!!!" (HE said also: "He's burning 11K"reffering to me<<)

other player said "YOUR A MONSTER!!!"

Even though this skill seems worthless to me at this point, i got a feeling it can be good in future. I don't know if Jagex just were careless when they made this skill, but there gotta be a way to put it's potential to use.

Discuess...

well first off, you are a monster, unless you have about 30mil..

and when they came out with this skill in rsc, it was because there was only about 3 or 4 ranges in all of runescape, now there are 4 within faladoor.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Even though this skill seems worthless to me at this point, i got a feeling it can be good in future.

I heard this said way back in rsc, back when all there was to burn was regular logs. Not much has changed since then.

~M

I am burning them cause i can't be bothered to go to bank, and i find it better with FM Cape....

Remember i am F2P....

I get woodcutting levels which iwant+ FM lvls.

Your not a monster, I am, I'm burning mages, and one of the only reasons I do so is because it's so darn boring, and knowing Jagex they'll tie it in some update in some way, shape, form, or idea. However most people look down on it doing that it's boring, 98k clicks isn't worth a 99 or so people think, plus most people want to have fun.

Yeah Firemaking is pretty useless. It would be cool if you could use fm to light different things or enemies on fire. Like if you got to level 30 you could melt ice warriors. (That would be useful for getting charms)

And once you reach level 50 you can light fire works to celebrate your achievements! :thumbsup:

And when enemies died. Instead of dropping bones, theyd drop certain ashes. And the ashes would vary from monster to monster. They could be different values. It would give a whole different view of the skill.

25632.jpg

Magma_Guard3.png

runescapeboomdeyadasigui7.jpg

WHY DOES THIS NOT HAPPEND :oops: :oops: :oops:

=\ why wouldn't you sell the yews and buy maples to burn. you are literally burning money if you burn yews

Burning 1 yew = 450gp loss

And nets 202 xp

That means it costs you 2.27gp/xp

Burning 1 Maple = 50gp Loss

And nets 135 xp

This means it costs you 0.37gp/xp

But thats not all..

Burning 1 Yew gets you 202 xp

Selling 1 yew and buying 9 Maples with the money you get from selling the yew would net you 1215xp

So for every Yew you burn, instead of selling it and buying maples, you loose around 1013 potential firemaking xp.

You are loosing out either way you look at it, you are training it inefficiently

=\ why wouldn't you sell the yews and buy maples to burn. you are literally burning money if you burn yews

And nets 202 xp

And nets 135 xp

But thats not all..

Selling 1 yew and buying 9 Maples with the money you get from selling the yew would net you 1215xp

So for every Yew you burn, instead of selling it and buying maples, you loose around 1013 potential firemaking xp.

You are loosing out either way you look at it, you are training it inefficiently

The reason why? It takes 3-6 mins to get to bank By that time i can get 10 more yews :ohnoes:

As of now, it's just an easy 99. Although for some reason i'd want 99 in it. Never would wear the cape though. Thats just embarrasing. :lol:

Craven, some people want speed. Its a lot faster to burn one yew than 9 maples. I'll probably do yews to 99 once i get 90 slayer or so.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Ok here goes. By your saying, it takes you 30 seconds to chop a yew (3minutes / 10 yews)

This means your going to chop and burn 120 Yews an hour. That will give you 24.24k firemaking xp

Now, If you Chop/Bank then sell and buy maples you will get 1 inv every 17 minutes, or 3 inventories an hour. Which is 84 Yews if you bank. If you sell those 84 yews you can now buy 756 Maples, which will give you 102.06k firemaking xp.

But wait

Ok , now your going to say it takes time to burn. Well yes it does, it would take probably 30 minutes to burn that many maples. Leaving you 30 minutes of chopping. This is around 50 yews if banking. If you sell these 50 yews and buy maples, you will be able to get 60.075k firemaking xp, which is more than twice as fast as your method

Edit:

Craven, some people want speed. Its a lot faster to burn one yew than 9 maples. I'll probably do yews to 99 once i get 90 slayer or so.

Adressed above.

Guess i wasn't clear. I'd be buying the yews instead of chopping them. I find that highly inefficient. :P

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Guess i wasn't clear. I'd be buying the yews instead of chopping them. I find that highly inefficient. :P

:thumbsup: My post was in response to the topic, but that's fine.

If you really want to speed yours up, Train at varrock west bank, use varrock teletabs and burn back to the bank

Ok here goes. By your saying, it takes you 30 seconds to chop a yew (3minutes / 10 yews)

This means your going to chop and burn 120 Yews an hour. That will give you 24.24k firemaking xp

Now, If you Chop/Bank then sell and buy maples you will get 1 inv every 17 minutes, or 3 inventories an hour. Which is 84 Yews if you bank. If you sell those 84 yews you can now buy 756 Maples, which will give you 102.06k firemaking xp.

But wait

Ok , now your going to say it takes time to burn. Well yes it does, it would take probably 30 minutes to burn that many maples. Leaving you 30 minutes of chopping. This is around 50 yews if banking. If you sell these 50 yews and buy maples, you will be able to get 60.075k firemaking xp, which is more than twice as fast as your method

Edit:

Adressed above.

Man if there was a Runescape math class, I'd totally fail it. You are good.

Opethorchid0.png

But wait

Edit:

Adressed above.

Man if there was a Runescape math class, I'd totally fail it. You are good.

Thats why they dont have A runescape school. we'd All Fail, and they would lose all their players that get frustrated from constantly failing Hogwarts. :ohnoes:

25632.jpg

Magma_Guard3.png

runescapeboomdeyadasigui7.jpg

But wait

Edit:

Adressed above.

I raelly can't be bothered going bank...

You are correct what you are saying. But i cut and burn, and i can do it as much as i want and the speed of logs is amazing.

4 yew threes, and only me +2 other players..

And nets 202 xp

And nets 135 xp

But thats not all..

I view looking at hard numbers and "saving money" as inefficient training. I'm certain that those that burn Yews are out to have fun and enjoy it, and it probably saves them time (I know I'd be looking at a third less clicks if I went that route).

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I cut and burn yews all the time in Rimmington. People often say I am "burning money" though in reality all that is consumed is time since I gathered them myself. Sure, it may be useless to some but I find it relaxing and enjoyable to hop on and cut and burn some logs. If the skill is updated then that's all the better, if not then I will continue to enjoy it as it is.

20,860,782 Firemaking experience down. :)

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85