FM needs good update, read tifers ideas 5K+ Views!

Dire_Wolf

=\ why wouldn't you sell the yews and buy maples to burn. you are literally burning money if you burn yews

Burning 1 yew = 450gp loss

And nets 202 xp

That means it costs you 2.27gp/xp

Burning 1 Maple = 50gp Loss

And nets 135 xp

This means it costs you 0.37gp/xp

But thats not all..

Burning 1 Yew gets you 202 xp

Selling 1 yew and buying 9 Maples with the money you get from selling the yew would net you 1215xp

So for every Yew you burn, instead of selling it and buying maples, you loose around 1013 potential firemaking xp.

You are loosing out either way you look at it, you are training it inefficiently

Yeah, and get this...burning logs worth more exp means FASTER experience, and less logs to burn. Less clicking + Faster Experience = worth it to me.

It's just a skill to get a 99 in and raise your total with. That's all. It may have a future upgrade, but for now, quit thinking down upon it so much and realize if you don't like training it then LEAVE IT ALONE. It's not going to kill you if one of your TWENTY-FOUR skills is not being put to use. lol.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FM would be great to use in combat. It can be used for many strategic purposes but will have some (possibly) nasty side effects.

Maybe players and monsters will receive damage when walking over campfires but having regular boots or some other equipment on your feet will prevent all damage from standing on a campfire. This could be considered fire damage where some monsters are immune to fire damage and some could even absorb fire damage and heal. Also the ability to create a bonfire which forces monsters (that can be damaged from fire) two squares away and be a temporary shelter for everybody but all monsters that was scared away by the bonfire will become aggressive to everybody that is in the bonfire safe area. The bonfire will take up a 2x2 space on the map and logs can be added to the bonfire at anytime to increase the amount of time before the fire goes out.

Weapons could even be lit on fire for a certain amount of time to deal regular damage with the addition of fire damage. Fire can also be a new type of poison where you (or the monsters) are set aflame and receive damage at intervals of time while the amount of damage decreases each time until the monster (or player) is no longer lit or death. Maybe the initial damage was 5 and then next is 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 and then the monster (or player) is no longer lit. What sets being lit on fire different than poison is that the lit counter stacks so if you are set to receive 3 damage next for the lit status and the monster deals the lit status of 5 again, the counter for the lit status will go up 8 and count down from there. This causes more damage if you add to the lit counter before it hits 0 than waiting for the counter to hit 0 and then reset the lit counter.

Also using water (can be in a jug, bowl, bucket, etc.) on a player/monster that is lit will remove 5 from the lit counter and also put campfires and bonfires out.

rune+ology.png

You probably realize this, but fire arrows already exist in Runescape. You make some during the Underground Pass quest, and you can make more in the same fashion afterwards. They take a very long time to make and don't work very well for the time taken to make them, which is mainly why I've never heard of anyone using them in bulk.

I do agree that firemaking needs a bit more variety, but there's only so far you can go with a skill that's narrowed to making fires. Flaming weapons seems like a good idea, but they'd need to think of a way to make the weapons able to burn, since you can't light metal on fire. Perhaps coating them in lantern oil, or something along those lines.

You also need to think of it from Jagex's point of view. They need to decide whether they want to spend time on a whole new skill, or do they want totally revamp an old skill. It's all geared towards what would get a better response from the majority of the population. As much as I'd like to see firemaking, and a couple other skills, remade, I think quite a few more would rather have a whole new skill entirely.

I know, I type a lot. So what? \'

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

You probably realize this, but fire arrows already exist in Runescape. You make some during the Underground Pass quest, and you can make more in the same fashion afterwards. They take a very long time to make and don't work very well for the time taken to make them, which is mainly why I've never heard of anyone using them in bulk.

I do agree that firemaking needs a bit more variety, but there's only so far you can go with a skill that's narrowed to making fires. Flaming weapons seems like a good idea, but they'd need to think of a way to make the weapons able to burn, since you can't light metal on fire. Perhaps coating them in lantern oil, or something along those lines.

You also need to think of it from Jagex's point of view. They need to decide whether they want to spend time on a whole new skill, or do they want totally revamp an old skill. It's all geared towards what would get a better response from the majority of the population. As much as I'd like to see firemaking, and a couple other skills, remade, I think quite a few more would rather have a whole new skill entirely.

I know, I type a lot. So what? \'

Thank you for mentioning the already existing fire arrows! I kept reading about people saying we need them and thinking how we already have them!

Definetely needs an update.

The only reason I would train it now is for the skillcape, but I can't be bothered. (& I don't have enough money for the logs. :P)

Bonfires have been suggested on the RS forum for some time now...

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Yeah, fire arrows exist, but they don't do any more damage than normal ones, and they're *only* useful during the Underground Pass Quest, in that *ONE* part.

It'd be nice to see a new take on Firemaking, but we dunno what those blokes at JT have in their heads with it...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The way I look at it, the skillcape is really cool looking. It has no purpose other than to show how much time and money you have.

That being said, I think its a fun skill to train (not to mention VERY little risks [randoms and whatnot]). I love the skillcape and I think that other than fletching, it is the only reason why maples and willows still sell.

There is no way to make "Millions fast and easy"...

SO QUIT ASKING ABOUT IT!

I agree with magmaguard. Making money off of FMing would rock. I got 62 in training for 99 then realized there was no money return :ohnoes: . So I switched to fletching. But seriously, firemaking NEEDS an update. The only reason I was going for it was because it was the cheapest skillcape if you bought supplies.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Guys new thing to discuess this topic further:

DOES FIREMAKING NEED A UPDATE??

If so, what kind of one?

I want FM to get a update that makes it useful. If not much, but a little. Cause i really don't care about money...

I just hope FM can be used to help other skills for example. #-o

As for people saying "FM SHOULD STAY THE SAME....", it shoulden't . Those who say its A "EASY SKILL", will regret it if it gets a update that benefits a high FM level.

First of all, you only need one question mark at the end of your sentence.

It's only uses are quests, and skill total / overall xp, and a small amount of aid in cooking. As well as a mighty fine Skill Cape. <3:

I can't really think of anything Jagex could do with it. I got 99 solely for the cape. The total levels are nice too. My friend mocks me all the time about my 'useless 99' (He has 99 range). I'm proud to be a master is a useless skill though :)

I enjoyed firemaking to an extent. It seemed to drag on forever after a certain level though. I still find my self firemaking for no reason sometimes... -.-

I get yelled at for burning magic logs all the time too :P

I'm curious to see what the future holds for firemaking.

35b9enp.jpg

FMing is just another skill, has no real use like many of them after a certain point :)

I burned magic logs for 77 - 95 Firemaking, got it in one go (28 hours)

But as for Jagex plans for it? I very much doubt it.

Its like fletching, once you hit a certain point thier is no use for it.

Whatpulse!

213358.png

Yeah they need to do something with it.

I remember there was a massive forum suggestion about firemaking. Some of the top 100 firemakers supported it and the thread was made like 8 times, and got 2k posts all 8 times. It had suggestions for stuff like fireworks

I'm 99 and I spent like 17m on 80-99 with yews :thumbup:

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Yeah they need to do something with it.

I remember there was a massive forum suggestion about firemaking. Some of the top 100 firemakers supported it and the thread was made like 8 times, and got 2k posts all 8 times. It had suggestions for stuff like fireworks

I'm 99 and I spent like 17m on 80-99 with yews :thumbup:

Strange that that massive suggestion didn't break through. #-o Why i always feel gutted when i make suggestions or try to make one..

tbh ive always thought Fm was a useless skill. im lvl 34, all gained on the shores of catherby as i needed a way to cook shrip.. then i learnt that there was a range next to the bank and ive never gained exp in FM AGAIN!

sig.gif

Crazy Old Man.

R.I.P The Old Nite. My Mentor and Brother.

He taught me how to play the game.

[This post composed before the post above, so please excuse if I missed good stuff!]

I've never forgotten a post I read back when the mining helmet (65 fm required) was introduced. The player said "why should I train firemaking? so I can build more expensive fires?!"

It was a good point. I did keep training to get to 85 for mage pyres (fiyr shades) - don't forget you get prayer xp from it *as well as* loot from the chests. In fact, vlad the old points out that even if you don't get a key ... the gp you get from cremating a shade is equal to *at least* the hi alch value of a longbow made from that log type. And you get combat xp from killing the shades.

I do find the hauling (for pyres) tedious, though. Pyre ships (barbarian training - mith dragons) are the only other high level use for firemaking, so yeah ... it could use some beefing up, like a fire being actually useful for something.

I like the ideas posted above: set a fire near your combat, the monster earns 1-5 damage if you drag him through it lol. (but perhaps you should too?)

Adding fire to weapons to deal damage like poison - well it starts to sound a lil like a pokemon attack, no offence. :)

If you are a glutton for punishment and do the Dorgesh-Kaan light orbs, here's a draft map that I did to show their locations.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

I love how you leveled your Fire despite what people said, that's the right attitude POKEMAMA!

But hey please check out my suggestion above your post :roll: Really used time and effort to come up with it :oops:

On topic: Chests in Shades of morton gives splitbark items or clothes to make em, clue lvl 3, rune items ( a friend said : ITS GREAT way to get items to alch).

Also u get combat exp = killing shades ( Great exp BTW), Firemake EXP, Prayer EXP...

ITs very nice way of getting things up \'

Yes firemaking isn't very helpful but there many components is all skills that are a bit useless. Jagex should really stop giving us new skills and start making higher lvl content for the skills we already have!

My little suggestion for firemaking is building like bawn fires that could attract certain creatures for Hunter and Slayer. There are certain areas around rs that are bawn fireable (is that even a word?) each area contains 1 of many creatures from slayer and hunter, like one is in the jungle, woodlands and even artic areas. Better the log used and higher your firemaking the faster, easier and more of that monster will appear for you to reap the rewards. Now I have no idea what these creatures could be but they'll have some good rewards.

Just my 2 cents.

Its kind of useless when you reach a point where you light a fire in under 5 seconds. Jagex shouldv revamp( how about being to put out fires like with a jug of water?? You could annoy people that way.) I don't know, just off the top of my head.

Honestly nothing more then a total level booster for me and isnt really even that enjoyable for myself, got to 85 or wherever I am now with maples and willows, but If i ever go any further I will almost surely use only yews or magics.

Hell, Ive had 99 banked for over a year or so now in maples, hell if I burned all 369k maples that I have id be on the front page of the firemaking highscores, but I would almost much rather junk them out into maple longbows (u) along with some pouches and scrolls and make some decent money back for a fraction of the work. :lol:

I really do hope that they look into this skill some more, at least with mining they put a decent profit / exp trainer back in there with the 500g granite needed in a main staple of their new skill summoning. Shame the 10 exp boost per log when using familiars is hardly worth it as they slow you down so much in the long run and just cant keep up with log and box lighting times.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Well, I can say I have 70 FM and its pretty high compared to people who don't bother with it, gonna probably try for 99 if i can raise enough cash.....

But that's outta the issue, but I do hope jagex bring in more uses for FM because personally, i only wanna go for 99 for the cape at the moment :twisted:

But if Jagex brought out more things for FM then maybe 99 firemakin would have another use 8-)

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Firemaking is by far not the only Skill, that only costs money (though it is the only one, that literally burns it).

Neither is Firemaking completely useless (at least Jagex tried a lot not to let it look useless):

It is required to complete a lot of fun or rewarding Quests (Tears of Guthix, First Resort, Desert Treasure, Enakhras Lament, Lunar Diplomacy, Legacy of Seergaze, Sea Slug, Swan Song...

It lets you wear a lit Mining Helmet, that looks great and never gets extinguished in a dark area,

So you could never ice-barrage, blood-runecraft, balloon-travel, monkfish-fish, or collect blue Tears with your Platypus without this Skill.

Maybe this is, what Firemaking will be for a very long Time (or for ever): A Quest-Skill

Firemaking has been a useless skill from the moment it was introduced. Why do you think that after 6 or more years they will suddenly make a great use for it?

Sure, there is shadeburning, but it obviously isnt usefull enough for people to stop slaying and do that all day.

Firemaking with a use is a myth.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

Firemaking is a money burner,but it is fun if you have fun doing the skill

its (for me) harder than cooking because cooking has the "cook ×" option

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011