mage or Range?

erichkiller

Although i *do* have more range than mage, i do prefer magic over range, generally speaking. i'm more of a skiller than a fighter so magic spells would be certainly more useful to me than the ability to hit higher with range...

But that's for p2p. if i was f2p, i would much rather have higher range, because skilling isn't very good on f2p.

shepard12.png

If your F2P, like me =], then mage is more efficient. Most players at any mini-game,such as F.O.G., wear full rune. When your wearing full rune against a mage your doomed. I hit continual 14-16. How often do you see someone wearing full green d'hide while using melee? Usually never. Range against rune is never a good plan. Most F2P people wear full rune. So to conclude, Mage is better then range.

forummx0.png

My stats are updated weekly... Sometimes...

If your F2P, like me =], then mage is more efficient. Most players at any mini-game,such as F.O.G., wear full rune. When your wearing full rune against a mage your doomed. I hit continual 14-16. How often do you see someone wearing full green d'hide while using melee? Usually never. Range against rune is never a good plan. Most F2P people wear full rune. So to conclude, Mage is better then range.

Acutally whenver i play fog when is like never, I always use full green dhide while being hunted. Therefore the mage is useless against me and while hunting i usually wear full mage armor and a scimmy so I can switch between mage and melee easily.

teh_gauss.png

Well, magic is by it's very nature more useful in general, and, with few exceptions, is more effective against other players. However, range is much better for most monsters, is much less expensive. ( Unless you use all dragon arrows and onyx/dstone bolts.. For everything. ) Magic is often more fun, though.. :| Tbh, its a matter of personal preferance. I <3 range.. :D

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Another thing you must consider for F2P's is that unlike P2P they can't make the materials needed for range but they can for magic and although they cant make high level runes because of the altar locations but i'd still say mage is a lot better for F2P's whereas for P2P the locations of furnaces and all different types of trees to banks makes fletchin so much better than runecrafting.

Gty12

Well, this is an interesting subject isn't it. My answer is going to be as wishy-washy as most politicians.

Mage is great on many fronts. You can use it to slay, monster hunt, pk, teleport, and skill. You can use 3 different forms.

Range however has the accumulator and so many improvements lately that it is merely more attractive to me. Crossbows plus shields make them appealing to dragon hunting. The gear looks better to me than the mage gear.

Mage is still great and used more by me because of functionality purposes than range, but range has always one of my favorites.

And I like the skill cape color of range better, but I like the Magic emote better.

Hmmm. I should be president.

felter_laur.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like range, purely because I think it takes longer. And more mages have pwned me in the wildy (when it still was the wildy) than rangers.

Doctors repeat themselves because they have nothing better to say......

I realy think that mage is cheeper. Lay it out over months and think. Arrows cost more and you can lose them fast. Plus runecrafter is easy and rewarding with all of the randoms.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

Well, if you're going by cost-efficiency, then you really shouldn't compare the methods for making the materials. After all, there are better moneymaking methods out there than either fletching your own arrows or making your own runes. If you're worried about cost-efficiency, then take into account how much the arrows/runes themselves cost, not how fast you can make that money back by creating the ammunition, because then you're looking at flawed logic.

My personal favourite is mage, even though it costs more. Against most monsters, I've found mage to be far more effective for both high hits and utility, especially when I'm bursting rock lobsters. That alone would sway me to mage, but consider the other uses of mage. There's lunars for skilling, with eighteen million different useful teleports and another twenty million useful skiller spells at your fingertips. Ancients are amazing for any and every type of war you could ever want to make, from castlewars to monster slaying. Range is only good for combat, and while it may cost less than magic, money's easy to make back, and you can even do it using magic, alching things you make. Range has such limited scope that it's damn near useless compared to magic.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Magic is more useful in runescape, the enchants, fighting spells, teleports, and most of all lunar spells. Range will be more effective against other players however, but magic is a good adition to pvp if you're ranging. Range/mage hybrids/tanks are quite good.

=D

I realy think that mage is cheeper. Lay it out over months and think. Arrows cost more and you can lose them fast. Plus runecrafter is easy and rewarding with all of the randoms.

Since when in hell is magic cheaper than Ranged? :?

My answer: Ranged all the way :thumbsup:

newsigac5.png

LOL, it depends wether you are F2p or P2P. F2p, mage is more effective, p2p range is far more effective, I mean, has anyone out there ever hit a 42 on a steel dragon with mage....

But with range, using ruby bolts (E), I have hit several 42s on assorted steels!, Sure ancients is amazing, but I prefer range as it is sooo much cheaper than using ancients....

well, signing out!

meamzed

meamzed.png

Umm... it depends. Generally, for monsters ranged is used because it's cheap. For PvP, ancients is pretty good in group. Ranged with dragon arrows is good too, so on 1 vs 1 it depends what kinds of opponent.

2480+ total

I would have said prior to the release of GWD that mage was much more useful for high level players. Barrows and Dagannoth Kings were two of the best ways to make large sums of money and both required magic to be done effectively. With the release of GWD mage become unnecessary for advanced monster hunting while ranged became a necessity in order to effectively kill several of the bosses. This leads me to the conclusion that ranged is a much more valuable skill than magic at this time.

Neb_Nitram_7.png

What's wrong with hybriding (In F2P at least)?

Ranged armour (although I'd probably use mage ammy), R scim, use def, atk, str, lower spells and hold spell?

Otherwise, it all depends on who you're fighting and what level you are. If it's a total noob in FoG, I'll mage regardless ::'

magic is either a very expensive or a very boring skill.

efficiently, you can burst/barrage things/people but that's insane cash.

Profit wise, you can still high alch your way but at the expense of time and extreme bordom.

Being a guy headed for 99 range i prefer it way more

People don't realize the power behind it, a lucky Dark bow spec can nearly KO hitting around 96.

I don't know if you can hit higher than that but i know 96 is possible 8-)

More over, when killing anything, the runes for spells usually outweighs the profit of the item/s dropped by a monster. A ranger can use bone bolts if he wants and still hit around what a mid level spell does. Has anyone tested broad bolts? 75 ea that rival addy bolts. I make around 250k an hour at certain spots (not telling :mrgreen: ) and it used to be more than that.

P.S. Void ranger ftw.

~penguin

frznflames.png

frznflames.png

frznflames.png