Monday Poll: The RuneScape Novel

Rcty

It's only available in hardback at the moment. Hardback books are almost always expensive. After a few months the publishers re-release them in paperback at a much lower price.

I think they should do that soon for this book. Assuming the book's aimed at teenagers, few of the target audience will be interested in paying the hardback price. Paperback books are more likely to be in the right price range for the market.

Once upon a time there was a company named jagex and they failed

The end

That's a book I'd read. :XD:

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

lets see... what if you were just playing rs and some one asked if you liked it....

"well i got a level 110 character, i've got 16m, i've got a novel that i bought for 40 BUCKS!!! WHAT A DEAL! (some junk like that), i'm a member of a forum specifically about the game, and oh! yeah. it's the reason why i don't blow my head off with boredom during the summer."

i think that... the book.... would be a little much? i mean if you have submitted stuff to jagex like artwork, or a picture of a dragon full helm that you made yourself, or you've got a picture of bob the cat on your background...then... enough is enough... right? some people reeeeeeeally take this game to seriously and jagex just threw a few chips in for the people that, i guess, really want to be in the game of runescape.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

Uhm... No. Have plenty of *well written* fantasy books as it is.

Now if jagex sold t-shirts or other clothing... :twisted: . *would turn one of those into a paint/mowing shirt in seconds, and wear it proudly while I mow*.

Shaniqua.png

I've read 2 books cover to cover, and I'm just assuming that a fantasy novel about a game I barely play will not hold my attention for its entire duration.

In other words, dear god no I won't pay for this book.

Foooman.png

I'd buy it for the book itselfs sake, for a good read, not for Runescape. Bah, Runescape. Next they will release a whole series, then make into a movie, and Jagex will be basking in money. Bah, Runescape.

The book itself might be a good read :-k. I'll just stroke my chin, and wait till it comes out. Then find an online copy and download it, and read it. Illegally.

lampost_sig_stark.png

one note about the price... the hardback is worth that much I think? And I noticed someone say that as the author is unknown it must be rubbish... but... all well known authors were unknown once... and, don't judge a book by its cover.

I probably will get the book just to see what it turns out like, though personally I would rather prefer something that covers the early history of RS.

Besides... if Warcraft can have novels based on it, why can't Runescape? And I am sure not every warcraft have read the warcraft novels so if a lot of people don't read this, still no problem.

addymthiefcape,j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

I think I'd be more interested in the book if the writer were part of Jagex. That way they could reveal stuff in the book that's part of the game history they've planned themselves. It could even tie into future game plots.

But the author seems to be some independent guy who just wrote the book for fun, from what I've seen on the RSOF. That makes it fan-fiction, like you get on forums under Creative Writing. Even if Jagex has declared it official (which is cool for the guy who wrote it - imagine if YOU could write a RuneScape story and get money for it) I'm not expecting it to be so well tied into the game's plots as if it were directed by Jagex's own creative team.

As for Jagex failing, what have they got to lose? They're letting this T. S. Church guy publish a book with their logo on the front, helping sell it, and presumably taking a nice cut of the profits. If the book tanks, they don't lose much. Nor do we.

Books based on computer games strike me as being an awful idea, but that doesn't stop them being written. Halo alone has spawned a whole bunch of novels describing Master Chief blowing his way through endless enemies. Seemed like very dull stuff to me even though I admired some of that author's other books very much. A novel about RS from an unknown? No thank you.

I like to play runescape. I also like to read. What I don't like to read, however, is what seems to me to be a jumped-up quest in word format. If I'm going to read, I want to read something that isn't drivel and that will not only entertain me but help me with my schoolwork or whatever. This, I'm pretty sre, will do neither of those things. Runescape is a game, and should stay as a game. Jagex are doing well making money with memberships, they should quit while they're ahead.

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

Maybe some of you could try reading the book before immediately bashing it. Just because it is based in the Runescape world doesn't necessarily make it bad - some of the Halo books are actually quite entertaining.

It sounds to me like it's an adventure type novel written for entertainment - pretty normal, really.

No.

This thread made me wonder, why do people consider games like RS nerdy as opposed to the Wii/Xbox/etc. games they play? You'll never hear a guy yell his friend "I quit Halo" and them answering "Good, you're not a geek anymore" but I've heard it about RS before.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I voted, I might in the future. The new Runescape novel looks pretty interesting, so if I come up with some cash I will most definitely buy Betrayal at Falador, or wait for a paperback version. :XD: Although, I don't think I've ever heard of the author T.S. Church.

Maybe it will be a good read,

Skiittles11

241216351433lk2.png