Charging for item lending moral?

jenova1692

Irrespective of whether you don't and I do feel charging for item lending is immoral, its against the rules.

Sure you or anyone else for that matter, can keep rolling the dice with respect to the rules, scraping money from other players, but eventually the odds will inevitably turn against you and the rest of us will chuckle heartily at the posts in the 'I was unfairly muted/banned' thread.

Oooh, touch a ickle nerve did I? :roll:

Yeah, stupid people do that to me :lol:

Is that all you got? Come on, I'll take your best shot. If the best your up to is calling me stupid, who's the mug risking there account just for the shallow profit of the pursuit of wealth, only for it all to be taken away with no recourse?

"Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades, don't you think you think?"

1840554111_a0023e3d17.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's everyone only questioning whether charging money is in the spirit of the game or not? Begging is a much worse offender of not being in the spirit of the game. And charging is the answer to begging. If nobody begged to be lent items, nobody would be charged. Item lending is meant for friends, just as it used to be when players trusted each other. It's not a way to randomly distribute items across the entire community to everyone who asks. And charging balances that out.

I like how you assume that I am breaking this "rule". I have only lent out one item, and it was the person who insisted he give me some of the logs he cut with it.

Is that all you got? Come on, I'll take your best shot. If the best your up to is calling me stupid, who's the mug risking there account just for the shallow profit of the pursuit of wealth, only for it all to be taken away with no recourse?

no thats not the best I got, but I might get banned if I give that to you. And you tell me, who is the person risking their account for shallow profit? Cause it isn't me.

Honestly, i think that Mod that said that its against the rules to "trust trade" is a total idoit. There is nothing in the rule book that says its illegal to "trust trade." I haven't even used item lending yet...

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to recent feedback, I would like to highlight that offering GP for Item Lending in-game is fine, however we do not allow this on the Forums.

(from Makoto's link)

It is within the rules to charge for lending in-game, but thye don't wanna see it wasting space on the forums. If you're offering gp, you should know that you might lose it.

I find moralities to be a personal opinion, and whether or not it's moral is decided by the lender/rentee. It's all just a business.

Due to recent feedback, I would like to highlight that offering GP for Item Lending in-game is fine, however we do not allow this on the Forums.

(from Makoto's link)

It is within the rules to charge for lending in-game, but thye don't wanna see it wasting space on the forums. If you're offering gp, you should know that you might lose it.

I find moralities to be a personal opinion, and whether or not it's moral is decided by the lender/rentee. It's all just a business.

I think this basically solves the issue of legal or not.

We are allowed to pay for items that we borrow. I look at is as more of a tip, since its such a small amount of such expensive items.

I would assume that since we can offer money for it, we can also charge money for it, just not on the forums.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

The reason it's against the rules is not because it's immoral, but because it is impossible to control. Say you are lending an item for 3k. You have two options here. One, you can collect your 3k before you lend out the item. In this case, you could just pocket the money and walk away, as the old "trust trade" scam went. In the second case, you lend the item for a select period of time, and then collect. This time, the other player can just walk away with the lent item and you are out of luck until the time period is over. If you choose to lend until one player logs out, then you are back to the first situation of you walking away, or, in this case, logging out, and you pocket the profit without any penalty.

It's against the rules because of the possibility of scammers promising to lend an item just so they can get rich and it would be a nightmare for customer support to sort through the valid complaints of scamming.

In either case you are able to report. Since you are ignoring potential punishment, I guess playing Runescape should be against the rules, since it's impossible to 100% prevent bug abuse...

I realize that Jagex did not release item lending with all of this stuff in mind, but I do not think they should tell people they can not rent out an item. Several reasons for this.

1. If done without scamming in mind, it is "fair"(some people may disagree but whatever) business that is practiced even in the real world. If a person spends money on an item, they should be able to do with it as the please.

2. This gives many players a chance to try out items they would not be able to normally. Yes you may say that they can just lend one for free if this is banned, but how many people do you think would actually let people borrow their god swords to strangers if charging is not an option?

Now someone brought up scamming as a reason that they should ban this. Well, if Jagex is really that concerned about gullible people getting scammed, then they should implement a way to charge per hour when lending someone an item, similar to trading. The person renting out the item will set a price per hour in the lend screen, and all the other normal options. The person renting the item will offer up gold, and upon completion of the lend, the gold will go in the same place that money on the GE goes. This will then be fed to the owner of the item each hour, based on the hourly term. When either the money or the timer runs out, the item is returned and any leftover gold will be returned to original owner.

I think it would be silly to ban someone for offering to rent an item just because they might get scammed.

Jagex: "well we want to protect your account, so to prevent you from ever getting scammed we will ban you."

Item lending is NOT against the rules. Furthermore, I think that it is perfectly moral. A hell of a lot of businesses are founded completely around the idea of renting. It also makes perfect sense. You rent skis usually because you can't buy them or it's not worth buying them b/c you won't use them enough...it makes sense.

38-39-505-57197261

"Charging or offering gold to rent an item is effectively a trust trade. There is no guarantee that either party will honour their end of the offer.

In addition, lending out items is a helpful and charitable action. The Item Lending system was not designed for players to monopolise on their high level equipment, it is there to help encourage a friendly and welcoming atmosphere on the forums.

Please always keep the spirit of the game in mind when playing RuneScape. You will not only make yourself feel great for playing the game properly, but you will help others have a more rewarding gaming experience.

Thank you."

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

I think the way people are doing it now is the only method there is.

Having the implemented "renting" system would allow RWT.

Buyer puts up charge of 50k per hour for BGS.

Seller agrees, 20 hours of lending. Within 20 hours the buyer has his BGS and 1M.

And assuming there is no cap, because Iv seen people do 400k per hour with a SGS, it would allow so much RWT its not even funny.

Junk trading allows this fine, it may be risky, but its not RWT. One player must do work to at least get the junk first, so, its technically a 'fair' trade.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Well if they did implement the change I mentioned, there would be a range of prices to choose from,sort of like in the GE, most likely, maybe a certain percentage of GE price? Plenty of ways to get around all that RWT crap.

Within 20 hours the buyer has his BGS and 1M.

And he had to spend those 20 hours without a BGS, whatever the hell that is, and 20 hours for 1mil is so pointless that no one would seriously go for that unless they didn't have enough money for a bgs, which would make the trade undoable.

if people are willing to pay, and it is legal ingame, then there is nothing wrong with charging for item lending

if people call it immoral then it's like calling renting immoral, and therefore are morons -.-

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

0hip's party hire euporium

Avalable for hire:

fee is by an hourly rate of scrolls bought from me depending on items value

Full dragons w/dragon full helm

Full bandos

Full armadyl w/ags

DFS

fremmy rings

barrows sets

whips

masks

santa hats

Purple party hat

Yellow party hat

Green party hat

Red party hat

Pm me if you want to dress to impress

Avalable for hire:

Full bandos

Full armadyl w/ags

DFS

fremmy rings

barrows sets

whips

masks

santa hats

Purple party hat

Yellow party hat

Green party hat

Red party hat

cool business idea :thumbsup:

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

Avalable for hire:

Full bandos

Full armadyl w/ags

DFS

fremmy rings

barrows sets

whips

masks

santa hats

Purple party hat

Yellow party hat

Green party hat

Red party hat

FYI, you cant lend DFS or Barrows Armor.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Since the question of whether or not renting was legal has been answered, i went ahead and made a post in the suggestions forum for how to make efficient item renting a reality. it can be found here:http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=751452

Since the question of whether or not renting was legal has been answered,

The question is not if its legal or not, its whether it is morally correct. Good job on reading the thread! =D>

Really, I could care less about whether its legal. The legality of actions is not what keeps me from doing anything. If it is illegal to do anything that I feel is not against my morals, then I will still do it.

Oh and btw, I still don't believe I have convinced every single person to one side or the other, so no, it has not been answered.

:arrow: FIRST ONE TO PM & COME TO WHERE I AM GETS TO WEAR PHAT FREE!!! :ohnoes: ##@

What is up with people suddenly spamming in this thread?

i heard that there as a real j mod going around g/e in some world insta-banning any1 who charged to borrow items. imo, its unmoral, and idc if u can profit or not. i would report any1 who charges to lend. profit is not why jagex introduced lending, tho i hate the idea because of noobs constantly begging. i even saw this 91 asking a 113 to borrow his bcp. its sooo annoying, even if im not the one being asked. plus, i dont got tradble rares (first holiday item = rubber chicken ftw)

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I think that it is completely fair to charge for a rare or expensive item because someone did a lot of work to get that item and if someone wants to use it for a short while without earning it they should pay up.

iamthe_champ.png

5ODa.gif<---Please click him and you get a cookie!