Greatest Invention

Cup Lion

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done non-electrical inventions :D

Whipped cream. Who would have guessed? If you stir it for 10 minutes it sticks together...

Other than that, there's this thing the Egyptians used to do to move really heavy blocks of stone. They'd get tons of long thin cylinders/rollers (dunno what they were made out of... not even sure if I've got the right ancient civilisation) put them on the ground, and just roll the blocks along with not very much effort. So simple yet so clever!

The pen, of course. Without it, history couldn't be recorded and nothing could develop past monkey stage. And of course, without pens, I couldn't spin anything when I'm bored.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Taco Bell... :thumbsup:

---

Surprised no one nominated the wheel though. To be honest though I don't think computers would have been invented yet, if the wheel had not been invented (found). Then again that goes into a debate of which invention (computers or the wheel) has progressed our human technology further than the other. I'm gonna say the wheel has until about 2020-2030, then the computer probably will out-do the wheel.

As for now though I'm still saying the computer, the processing machine!

The pen, of course. Without it, history couldn't be recorded and nothing could develop past monkey stage. And of course, without pens, I couldn't spin anything when I'm bored.

My two suggestions are in the same vein. The written word might not count as an invention, but is definitely the next peak in human progress after learning to talk. The printing press is another unbelievably important development.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

quill.jpg

Sorry we had stuff before the pen.

OT; computers.

Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

http://www.billybear4kids.com/desktop/country/quill.jpg

OT; computers.

Isnt that called a quill pen? (probably the pen he was talking about which recorded much of our history)

And I would have to say that the hot air ballon is pretty cool but I guess maybe not the greatest.

http://www.billybear4kids.com/desktop/country/quill.jpg

OT; computers.

Isnt that called a quill pen? (probably the pen he was talking about which recorded much of our history)

And I would have to say that the hot air ballon is pretty cool but I guess maybe not the greatest.

No just quill, also stuff like charcoal was used to write before the quill.

Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

My two suggestions are in the same vein. The written word might not count as an invention, but is definitely the next peak in human progress after learning to talk. The printing press is another unbelievably important development.

Yeah I agree, written language.

If not that, then I'd say Calculus :thumbsup:

Firearm. I mean, look at how it revolutionized the world. Do you see any army persons with a saber or sword, running at the enemy? No. It also gave way to longrange, gun-powder artillery. It had to be at least the most important thing in military history.

(I'm a little surprised no one's said the telephone yet)

No just quill, also stuff like charcoal was used to write before the quill.

Mate, I think he's talking about any writing piece in general. Not just the pen.

zoolanderzw2.jpg

Taco Bell... :thumbsup:

---

Surprised no one nominated the wheel though. To be honest though I don't think computers would have been invented yet, if the wheel had not been invented (found). Then again that goes into a debate of which invention (computers or the wheel) has progressed our human technology further than the other. I'm gonna say the wheel has until about 2020-2030, then the computer probably will out-do the wheel.

As for now though I'm still saying the computer, the processing machine!

ha taco bell is the best. but some one did say the wheel i u read the like 3rd post ;)

=0

Firearm. I mean, look at how it revolutionized the world. Do you see any army persons with a saber or sword, running at the enemy? No. It also gave way to longrange, gun-powder artillery. It had to be at least the most important thing in military history.

Dear lord...

After I posted I was thinking, "And the worst invention has got to be firearms."

Dear lord...

After I posted I was thinking, "And the worst invention has got to be firearms."

Which you rather have? Have a bullet in you, with the enemy from afar, or a blood-thirsty person who's right there with a sword in his hand cutting you up?

I do see where you come from though.

zoolanderzw2.jpg

Which you rather have? Have a bullet in you, with the enemy from afar, or a blood-thirsty person who's right there with a sword in his hand cutting you up?

I do see where you come from though.

The development of the machine gun has turned wars into, "who can shoot each other from further away". There really hasn't been a real war since the Civil War. I wish armies still fought like that <3:

But greatest invention...I'd have to say the drums. If those hadn't been invented we would never know the likes of Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, or Danny Carey! How terrible of a world would that be?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Written language...the pen, any writing implement at all...

"The pen is mightier than the sword"

Language...recording it...stepping stones to all of the great inventions like... CHEESECAKE!!! =P~

-----------------------------------------------------------

--->Your Guide to Posting in Offtopic<---

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

Universe.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

A written language. Can't seem to remember what the first one was called, it was created by one of the Mesopotamian civilizations, I think. (Can't seem to remember which one either)

That includes numerals (You know...Numbers...) too. Meaning math. Thus leading to calculators...Then computers.

And books. The form of entertainment before TVs and computers...

Though you would need something to write with. :-k

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

A written language. Can't seem to remember what the first one was called, it was created by one of the Mesopotamian civilizations, I think. (Can't seem to remember which one either)

That includes numerals (You know...Numbers...) too. Meaning math. Thus leading to calculators...Then computers.

And books. The form of entertainment before TVs and computers...

Though you would need something to write with. :-k

It might be this...not sure though.

[hide=]

The Phoenician Alphabet

The Ancient World's First Widely Used Form of Written Communication

A descendant of Mesopotamian cuneiform, the 22-character Phoenician alphabet was the template from which nearly all written language orginated.

The Phoenicians are considered by many to have been the inventors of trade and commerce. As a coastal nation, they had the advantage of location, and traded with just about every other coastal civilization, including the Greeks and the Etruscans. The Phoenicians also have another monumental distinction: they are considered the fathers of mass communication, developing a system of characters that allowed for accurate record-keeping and streamlined communication throughout history.

Early Record-Keeping

In the beginning of record-keeping history, it was the Mesopotamians that revolutionized a method of tracking accounts of business and law. They used a type of writing known as cuneiform. Etched on large clay tablets, the wedge-shaped characters were a popular way to keep track of all types of communications and transactions. The Phoenicians, like other Fertile Crescent cultures, also used cuneiform. However, as trade and commerce expanded, it became necessary for record-keeping to become more accurate and a little more portable.

The Egyptians attribute the development of the Phoenician alphabet to Tautos, a scholar from Byblos (a city in Phoenicia) who formulated a 22-character system around 2,000 B.C. Some evidence does suggest that some of the characters were developed and used even earlier as far back as the 15th century B.C.

The Basics of the Phoenician Alphabet

The Phoenician alphabet was made up of 22 consonants and zero vowels. An alphabet without vowels has proved challenging for modern scholars who have worked to decipher and translate the script, as they are not as familiar with the ancient languages as the ancients themselves would have been. It was as assumption of the Phoenician scribes that the reader could speak the language, and thus fill in any vowel sounds automatically. Because of this, various spellings of names and other Phoenician vocabulary can be found.

Other challenges for modern translators include the right-to-left way in which the Phoenician alphabet was written. There were also no spaces between the words. This gradually evolved into dots separating words. By the ninth century B.C., the Phoenician alphabet had progressed into a very graceful type of script that was easily read by most.

The modern word alphabet can be traced back to the first two characters of the Phoenician script. Aleph, the first letter, was originally a triangular shape that represented a frontal form of a bulls head, and then turned sideways in Phoenician. The modern A comes from that letter being turned another ninety degrees through time. The second letter, Beth, meant house in Phoenician. The character was shaped like a basic Phoenician house. Modern B is a result of this letter being turned sideways. When the Greeks adopted the Phoenician alphabet, their first two letters became alpha and beta, and thus currently used word alphabet.

The Spread of the Alphabet

Many of Phoenicias trade partners adopted this revolutionary alphabet. Trade partners were able to communicate in a uniform way, allowing transaction to go more smoothly, and record-keeping was more accurate across the board. Both the Etruscans and the Greeks (among others) adopted the script and made it into their own. Eventually, the Romans developed an alphabet based on the Phoenician script, an alphabet still largely in use by Western civilization today. Even Far Eastern cultures adapted some form of the Phoenician alphabet, embracing the variations of it from their Near Eastern neighbors.

The Phoenician contribution to worldwide language, literature, and written communication is undeniable. The proof is in the writing; we see that all European alphabets are directly derived from the original Phoenician alphabet, and Asiatic scripts (including being written right to left) are directly linked to the Aramaic (Near Eastern) adaptations of it.

[/hide]