Guide to Extremely Fast Melee XP

muggiwhplar

Before reading further, note that this spot and guide is targeted towards people who want to train their melee stats up in the fastest, easiest way possible. You will not get any charms or profit from this method.

Zombie_Monkey_-2-.gif

Overview

You will be training on Monkey Zombies (level-129) - they're obviously an undead monster so the key part of this method is making sure you have a salve (e) amulet. You can learn how to get the amulet here and learn how to enchant it here. The basic amulet gives you a 15% strength and accuracy (not attack) boost against the undead. The enchanted version gives you a 20% boost.

You can practically "AFK" at this spot every 5-10 minutes, depending on how you decide to approach it. While you should never literally leave your computer, it just means you don't have to pay any attention because the only danger in this spot is random events. If you have a decent gravestone, you can make it back to your spot on time easily. Plus, you aren't bringing any high-valued equipment to this spot.

What You Need

The only "requirements" you need for this method are to have 43 prayer, started Monkey Madness, and completed Haunted Mine. However, to use this method in the most efficient manner as possible, there are many quests or items...

Stats

70+ Attack

70+ Strength

70+ Prayer

60+ Summoning

Quests

Tarn's Lair Mini-Quest - Salve amulet (e)

Rum Deal - Holy wrench

Recipe for Disaster: Saving Awowogei - Teleport to Ape Atoll

The Slug Menace - Proselyte

Equipment & Inventory

080719235234wo9.png

Note: If you are using a familiar which has an offensive special attack, use an enchanted helm full of scrolls with a large amount of scrolls in your empty inventory slot to refill the helm

Helm of Neitiznot > Berserker/Warrior Helm > God Mitre > Proselyte Helm > Initiate Helm

Fire Cape > Trimmed 99 Cape > God Cloak

Salve amulet (e) > Salve amulet

Rune defender > Unholy book > Book of balance > Holy book

Proselyte hauberk > Monk's robe

Proselyte cuisse > Monk's robe

Gloves (barrows) > Lesser RFD gloves/FOG gauntlets

Dragon boots > Bandos boots > Climbing boots

Berserker/Warrior ring > Explorer's ring > Ring of life

If you are training strength, the best weapon is a Saradomin sword, followed by a Dragon scimitar w/ a rune defender. If you are training attack or defence, use an Abyssal whip w/ a rune defender. The Saradomin sword and Abyssal whip have been proven to be faster training than a Godsword.

You'll want to bring the highest level familiar you can use which gives the combat XP you desire for a large amount of bonus XP per hour. Don't use a familiar with a short time limit such as the Barker toad. Also, don't use a familiar which is designed to be a healer, beast of burden, or forager.

If you are particularly frugal, you can omit the prayer potions and run/teleport back upstairs to use the altar whenever your prayer runs out. However, at 70 prayer I only use 3 doses of prayer potion every 10 minutes or so, so I'm only spending about 40k an hour on prayer potions.

The Method

Teleport to Ape Atoll, pray at the altar, summon your familiar, and transform into a monkey. Go downstairs into the main temple floor and run east to the trapdoor next to a ladder. You might have to be patient for the Monkey Guards to move if they are blocking off the ladder. If you're impatient, you can use the ladder at the south end of the temple to go upstairs and go northeast down the ladder. Once down the trapdoor, run north and stand here:

080720001409og1.png

Drink a dose of super attack and super strength potion, equip dragon dagger and rune defender, turn on melee prayer and 5% strength prayer, turn on auto-retaliate, and use your four dagger specials then switch to your primary weapon. Keep an eye on your Special Attack meter; once use your four special attacks immediately once it's full. The world you pick shouldn't really matter as long as it's decently-crowded; the Monkey Zombies spawn very fast.

The monkeys will become unaggressive after about 10 minutes; at 70 prayer with the equipment listed above, I run out of prayer after about 5 minutes. You can run/teleport back upstairs and recharge prayer then go back down if you don't want to spend money on prayer potions. Otherwise, I only drink 3 doses of prayer potions w/ that equipment and 70 prayer. After they become unaggressive, teleport to Castle Wars then teleport back to Ape Atoll. Depending on your situation, you may need to use the summoning obelisk outside of Castle Wars or restock on supplies in the Castle Wars bank. Once you're back at Ape Atoll, repeat the process again.

Using this method with my low melee stats (70 attack, 80+ strength) I manage 70-80k XP/hour, depending on if I'm training strength or attack/defence. I imagine with 90+ attack and strength you could get over 100k XP/hour here. The reason I like this spot is because it's almost completely AFK'able and faster than slayer, bandits, or any other method I've heard of.

Video Demonstration:

Credits

Special thanks to Cawnaw for originally telling me about Monkey Zombies, although I never really investigated it at the time.

Special thanks to Spaderdabomb's "Skill Guide to All Skills" guide on the RSOF for mentioning this spot as the best spot for melee XP and making me decide to investigate further.

77yLQy8.png

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well-written (hey, i can understand it at 1:16 in the morning ;) for sure, and it's a good find, as well.

I doubt i'll give it a shot due to my Slayer, but if i get Monkeys for a Slayer Task, i may give it a try. 9/10.

Our_Moon.png

Nice guide as usual, but one question....what is the orange thing on the Sara Sword? ;o

Might give it a try once I get members again, and see how many exp/hour it is on a higher lv char.

100k exp/hour......almost as fast/faster than old Pest Control with bonus HP exp? ;p

Good for pures too, no def required, but they would have to not complete MM I guess.

Nice guide as usual, but one question....what is the orange thing on the Sara Sword? ;o

Might give it a try once I get members again, and see how many exp/hour it is on a higher lv char.

100k exp/hour......almost as fast/faster than old Pest Control with bonus HP exp? ;p

Good for pures too, no def required, but they would have to not complete MM I guess.

You need ape atoll tele.

Remove this guide before the word spreads -_-.

This is where Sallem, second player to 200m str exp, trained.

There are better spots, much better. Same monster, different locations.

Like the DT skeletons, the spot were thought of as useless until a year and 4 months ago.

Remove it >_>

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

Remove this guide before the word spreads -_-.

This is where Sallem, second player to 200m str exp, trained.

There are better spots, much better. Same monster, different locations.

Like the DT skeletons, the spot were thought of as useless until a year and 4 months ago.

Remove it >_>

Prayer pots are mandatory for those spots though and they become unaggressive

77yLQy8.png

You need ape atoll tele.

Can't you just simply run up and back down? The gorrilas might be a bit hard to pass though;o

Still, lots of pures just use bandits w/ppots, maybe this would be just a better place to waste em....

Do the monkies hit hard? Would a bunyip work instead of pray pots?

magicfalcon9.png

Dragon Drops: 4 Skirts, 4 Meds (PKed one) , 2 Legs, 1 Chain (Dust Devils), 1 Lump, 1 Shard

Armadyl Drops (219.78m): 13 Chestplates, 13 Skirts, 7 Helms, 8 Hilts

Bandos Drops (10.58m): 2 Chestplates, 1 Tasset, 2 Hilts, 2 Boots

Zamorak Drops (157k): 2 Steam Battlestaves

you need melee prayer

can't use a combat familiar if you have a bunyip out too

Well yeah, a bunyip instead of combat familiar. Wearing best armor at 90+ def, would bunyip be effective or would I still need prayer

magicfalcon9.png

Dragon Drops: 4 Skirts, 4 Meds (PKed one) , 2 Legs, 1 Chain (Dust Devils), 1 Lump, 1 Shard

you need melee prayer

can't use a combat familiar if you have a bunyip out too

Well yeah, a bunyip instead of combat familiar. Wearing best armor at 90+ def, would bunyip be effective or would I still need prayer

still need prayer...

just use the altar every 5 mins instead of bringing p pots

p pots will only cost you 40k/hour, though.... not like you cant afford it

77yLQy8.png

Awesome! Not sure if it beats slayer, I really need to get mine up, but I might try it out ;) I just hope it doesn't get crowded

Edit: Just tried it out, averaged around 50-55k xp/hr :( i'll just stick with slayer for now. Maybe when I get better stats.

Range_0r.png

Anyways, BBL OFF TO SLEEP WITH A RACCOON

still need prayer...

just use the altar every 5 mins instead of bringing p pots

p pots will only cost you 40k/hour, though.... not like you cant afford it

You'd be suprised what I can't afford. I'll try it though, thanks

magicfalcon9.png

well im trying it out right now after doing 6 quests today so it better work :evil:

edit-- just a note that they also have a very high mage deff. so dont bother with minotaur scrolls

Y_Z.png

Advice: Bring Dragon 2-Hander or Dragon Hally for special as they will provide better experience for you in this location.

Sounds like a good training spot.

If you want another form of exp at the same time, simply bring a familiar who trains in that particular skill. Particularly effective are the Hunter Cats, since they will likely have to move to engage combat or strike first - which triggers their ability.