Gun Control

zdavenz

I think a refinement of the gun licensing process should help with reducing the number of bad guys who can get guns legally. Here's how I think it should work;

1) Set up a database of people nationwide who are registered to have guns.

2) Have that database keep track of the registrants' criminal record, and adjust the person's license accordingly (as your record gets worse, the guns you're allowed to purchase are restricted starting with the most lethal). While this won't allow officers to randomly take any restricted firearms in your possession without warrant, it will add onto any punishment you receive for crimes which you used that weapon with, in the form of a felony.

3) Give each registrant a card which can be scanned by any gun distributor (scanners should come with this) for instant access to that person's clearance for the guns. This allows expedience in purchase as well as a record of what the person has purchased (so that if they need to be arrested for something, authorities have an idea of what to expect).

It's a rough idea, but it might work with some refinement. It's the best of both worlds; gun people have quicker access to their equipment, and the worried people have a better way to make sure the wrong people can't get guns legally. While this still doesn't take care of the problem of illegal firearms, it helps in neutralizing the legal variety's viability for crime. If something like this is implemented, we might be able to more focus on the real problem behind gun crime; black market trade.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ember, in the US such a system already exists - the NICS system allows (and requires) all gun dealers to run a person's name through the system before selling a gun, and it automatically determines if someone is allowed to purchase a gun based on their criminal record as well as several other factors.

We're buying a shotgun soon. We sold our guns quite some time ago, because we never hunted or even target shot. But, Lubbock is getting increasingly dangerous. My mom manages a bank, and the manager of one of their sister branches here was kidnapped and beaten not too long ago. Also, at least five of my friends have been jumped and robbed for absolutely no reason in the last couple weeks. We carry legal knives around (I have a knife my dad bought to replace the K-BAR he lost long ago) and rarely walk anymore, because we're scared. It's awful. A girl at the middle school I went to was babysitting recently, and some guys broke in, two of them raped her and the girls she was babysitting while the other two cleaned out the house.

We're not going to take this [cabbage] if it comes to our house.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

We're buying a shotgun soon. We sold our guns quite some time ago, because we never hunted or even target shot. But, Lubbock is getting increasingly dangerous. My mom manages a bank, and the manager of one of their sister branches here was kidnapped and beaten not too long ago. Also, at least five of my friends have been jumped and robbed for absolutely no reason in the last couple weeks. We carry legal knives around (I have a knife my dad bought to replace the K-BAR he lost long ago) and rarely walk anymore, because we're scared. It's awful. A girl at the middle school I went to was babysitting recently, and some guys broke in, two of them raped her and the girls she was babysitting while the other two cleaned out the house.

That sucks, another reason why guns should never become illegal.

:shock: How is the girl who was babysitting going? I hope she and the other girls can overcome the trauma.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

general statements

very little gun control is needed for rural areas(machine guns are the only thing that really needs dealt with here)

major metropolitan areas with crime problems have a right to put reasonable restrictions on the acquisition of guns; actual bans on possession of weapons should be avoided.

if a city area has a crime problem; they have to respect the rights of law abiding citizens to protct themselves.

The problem is that we don't have a magical detector to decide which people abide the laws. And don't say people with past criminal records, because it really isn't fair to allow them to get shot up and robbed because of past mistakes.

Three assaults and four armed robberies are "mistakes"? Come now.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

:shock: How is the girl who was babysitting going? I hope she and the other girls can overcome the trauma.

Didn't know them that well, I just know she went to the same school I did. [cabbage] like this is starting to happen a good bit. Ain't good. Ain't good.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

general statements

very little gun control is needed for rural areas(machine guns are the only thing that really needs dealt with here)

major metropolitan areas with crime problems have a right to put reasonable restrictions on the acquisition of guns; actual bans on possession of weapons should be avoided.

if a city area has a crime problem; they have to respect the rights of law abiding citizens to protct themselves.

The problem is that we don't have a magical detector to decide which people abide the laws. And don't say people with past criminal records, because it really isn't fair to allow them to get shot up and robbed because of past mistakes.

No, but it's bad either way.

You're either allowing someone who has served time for an assault to own and conceal a gun, or not allowing that person to own a gun. Scenario A allows them to commit murder, Secnario B allows them to be robbed/murdered.

Unfair to others both ways.

While its unfortunate this can't be black and white; its better to risk a felon's life when its possibly saving an innocent life. Of course, restrictions on guns would only apply to crimes and for cases of something like a bar fight might end after a few years.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

general statements

You're either allowing someone who has served time for an assault to own and conceal a gun, or not allowing that person to own a gun. Scenario A allows them to commit murder, Secnario B allows them to be robbed/murdered.

Its worth risking the life of a felon then risking them taking the life of someone innocent. Of course, restrictions on guns would only apply to crimes and for cases of something like a bar fight might end after a few years.

Haven't you seen the Dark Knight? :lol: All lives are equal despite past misdeeds imo.

Awesome movie

Agreed, but we aren't talking about executions. While everyone is equal before the law, people who have commited crimes have already shown they are a potential risk to society.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

general statements

Its worth risking the life of a felon then risking them taking the life of someone innocent. Of course, restrictions on guns would only apply to crimes and for cases of something like a bar fight might end after a few years.

Haven't you seen the Dark Knight? :lol: All lives are equal despite past misdeeds imo.

No they're not. Thieves, murders, rapists, and other major criminals shouldn't be allowed to legally have guns. They proved they are not worthy members for society and thus should not be treated as one.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ban on guns= criminals have guns, normal citizens don't.

No ban on guns= criminals have guns, but citizens have them too.

Which sounds better to you?

Agreed. If you ban guns, the people you're trying to get them away from won't turn them in anyways. Making it pointless. Meanwhile, the law-abiding citizens will have turned them in. Rendering them defenceless to criminals.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

Ban on guns= criminals have guns, normal citizens don't.

No ban on guns= criminals have guns, but citizens have them too.

Which sounds better to you?

Agreed. If you ban guns, the people you're trying to get them away from won't turn them in anyways. Making it pointless. Meanwhile, the law-abiding citizens will have turned them in. Rendering them defenceless to criminals.

Sensible gun control isn't just a polite request to turn in all your guns. It's a lengthy process involving a number of changes in education, enforcement, manufacturing, cultural norms, etc.

And, of course, firearms don't grow on trees. By controlling the distribution and production in the primary (licensed) market, you can reduce distribution in the secondary (unlicensed) market. I posted a study supporting this some pages back, if you care to dig it up.

And, of course, firearms don't grow on trees. By controlling the distribution and production in the primary (licensed) market, you can reduce distribution in the secondary (unlicensed) market. I posted a study supporting this some pages back, if you care to dig it up.

Exactly, many illegal firearms began as legal firearms which were either stolen from their owners or sold illegally by their owners. Criminals would also struggle to get guns across the border in Mexico as right now the Mexican drug cartels are reliant on guns they buy illegally from Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01654.html

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

This entire discussion is entirely flawed: I have yet to see a post that examines or explains the assumption that these firearms are wielded not only by sane, mentally stable individuals, and not "trigger-happy rednecks" or despressed teenagers.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

My dad is a proffesional shooter, and he owns way to many guns to be considered normal. But he talks about this kind of stuff all the time. He never leaves the house without atleast 2 guns, and has been like that for almost 12 years. My whole life I have been taught about gun control and what to do if anyone tries to mess with them.

I think if they try to revoke concealed weapon carrier cards this whole country will crash. They will take allll these guns away from citizens and leave them to illegal firearms dealers? Leave the bad guys with guns? My dad refused to the wing commander of the AF base he works in when he said he couldnt carry a firearm.

I am, and my whole entire family (both sides), are natives to West Virginia. IE the biggest redneck state in the country. But every single person I know that lives in WV and I can tell is a redneck never use their guns for bad reasons. They kill game animals in the correct season for family food, and they use them like sane individuals, so I dont see why people are making a big deal of the people who want to own weapons for personal defence. I mean yea, some people are stupid and insane and are gonna kill someone. But most likely, the person they kill has no weapon and no firearm training. if we were to put a registered firearm in each persons house in this country, and give them firearms training courses, that the homicide rate in this country would drop like crazy.

But thats just my 2 cents.

Untitled_zpsrs1nv3dr.pnginstabadge_zps761d5351.png

- 60,023rd to 99 Firemaking on April 29th, 2012 -- 15,152nd to 99 agility on August 21st, 2011 -
- 30,569th to 99 Prayer on June 26th, 2011 -- 22,646th to 99 Hunter on Jan 9th, 2011 -
1993 Miata; sold - 2001 E46 330i; "totaled" - 2001 E46 325iT; Bags and wheels ;)

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the

others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control

If there's nothing worth dying for, there's nothing worth living for.

Anyone Agree?

Beautiful. This is the best post on this board I have ever seen. By far, the best. There isn't one word that I disagree with.

I agree with the twenty third point more than anything else. Politicians constantly write terrible laws that they don't understand how to enforce, on subjects they know nothing about. When one of their moronic policies inevitably doesn't work, they just write MORE laws. I'm convinced that many of them think that their job is some kind of game. "Oh, I don't think that stupid Rednecks and Blacks can handle guns, so I'll just make them go away. Go, get rid of all the bad, nasty, evil guns in America. I'll give you two weeks."

Special Interest groups arguing in favor of gun control have to use extreme situations in order to make their points. They demand that mentally insane people not be allowed to buy guns. Obviously, you have to check the medical records in order to get that information. So, then they make the excuse that your privacy is being violated because you agreed to buy a Gun. They pretend that you couldn't easily just sign a release allowing the medical check:

"Well, we can't sell guns to nutcases, and we can't check the records. Guess we can't have guns." :twss:

The excuse is pathetically transparent. Here is a quote from one of those Ignorant, Evil, Drunken, Stupid Rednecks: "No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"- Thomas Jefferson