Why is farming so mis-judged?

Th3_Crusader

Some skills are just disliked by some due to personal preference. I like farming myself, but it's not my favourite skill just because it is profitable. Being hateful towards a skill and disregard it shows ignorance, though.

BlogofGlorySignatureFixed.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farming was one of my most favorite skills until I quit.

It cut the cost of herblore almost in half.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

5k exp in 2 hours (2.5k/h)!!!! Thats precicely why people dont like farming. At that rate it would take me 3 years and 143 days doing 4 hours a day of only farming and nothing else.

You dont get it, do you? Its 5k xp for 10 mins work. This equals to 30k xp an hour. And look at the money you make: 100k in 5 minutes. Not bad IMO.

Of course i'm counting the time your actually farming. Only idiots stand near their patch to wait till its grown...

Farming is a boring and ridiculous skill imo.

The potential money making from farming is not enough to make me like such a boring skill.

Jagex have a penchant for boring/pointless skills.

How so? If you are going to play this game for say 20hrs a week, and make the low end figure of 60k a run, you can make upwards of 1 million dollars, while getting the exact same xp as you would otherwise. How is that a pointless skill? Apparently people have been brainwashed by the G.E. into thinking all skills need to be trained at a loss.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

The potential money making from farming is not enough to make me like such a boring skill.

How so? If you are going to play this game for say 20hrs a week, and make the low end figure of 60k a run, you can make upwards of 1 million dollars, while getting the exact same xp as you would otherwise. How is that a pointless skill? Apparently people have been brainwashed by the G.E. into thinking all skills need to be trained at a loss.

I don't believe I said Farming was a pointless skill.

I said it was a boring skill.

I'm saying that other skills are pointless, hence the 's' on the end of skill in my first quote.

Edit - I go to God wars for money btw, I have no need for the possible money from farming.

Zerker_jane.png

I'm saying that other skills are pointless, hence the 's' on the end of skill in my first quote.

Edit - I go to God wars for money btw, I have no need for the possible money from farming.

how is farming boring, you dont have to stand around watching your plants, you plant and then leave them

just wondering what is the best herb tp farm atm?

Hephaestos8.gif

how is farming boring, you dont have to stand around watching your plants, you plant and then leave them

I realise this.

Farming...Is just not fun.

I don't really know how many ways I can convey the same message to you people.

Farming is like the anti-christ to fun. It is boring.

Zerker_jane.png

I realise this.

That's your opinion. You don't have to say it over and over again. Gathering skills are boring in my opinion, but does that make them useless? No. Do I try to convince others of them being not fun? No.

2dvjurb.png

I realise this.

That's your opinion. You don't have to say it over and over again. Gathering skills are boring in my opinion, but does that make them useless? No. Do I try to convince others of them being not fun? No.

Where is everyone getting this pointless/useless thing from?

I said farming was boring, not pointless. I also said it was boring IMO.

But how can people call other people stupid and un-intelligent for not liking farming and then complain when someone calls their holy messiah skill boring?

The main thing that makes anyone like farming is the fact you can do other things while doing it. Thats like me fishing for yews and saying how great woodcutting is.

Imo.

Zerker_jane.png

i used to hate farming too and raised it with tears until i found out about mtk, for a miserable cost of 75k a day u get tree seeds plus other resources. i suppose its an acquire taste, i used to hate mining too until i did it for a while then i started to find it like any other skill

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

It's a kind of skill that can't please everyone. You plant, you wait, but you get to do other things meanwhile. It's the whole "waiting" thing that people don't like. Many people including myself would have preferred a skill that you actively train without having to wait.

It's also disappointing how there is basically no high level perks. Wow, I can grow a magic tree, so that I can burn my money even more! If Jagex had introduced actual uses for trees, hops, fruit trees, some perks that it would have natural to give for high-level farmers. But instead all you get is lousy cut option for trees, which is a waste of time, roots with barely any use no doubt they're worthless. Fruit trees that barely give any fruit, and that you can never get your money back from unless you waste your time walking to pick their fruit, for barely any exp. Everything is a basically a waste of time and money, except herbs. No perks whatsoever. If you want to train it to a high level, unless you're rich or you don't mind waste a year of your life no-lifing herbs, it's impossible because only the outrageously expensive seeds give enough exp, everything else is pathetic exp. So even if you wanted for some reason to train it to high level despite its uselessness, you can't. Really, farming is not that misjudged. Why would people love a skill that is useless except for 1 thing(herbs), a huge money sink that doesn't even give you perks for wasting all your money and your time. Why would people love that? That's right, they don't.

2480+ total

I love farming. It's a great way to make money and to train herblore. It's also completely hands off. You plant stuff, pay gardeners, and walk away. For those things you can't pay gardeners for, you can use a nature amulet or simply use super compost and enchanted secateurs and hope for the best. I haven't spend money on seeds yet...I get them all from killing, pick pocketing, and woodcutting...so far I'm at 82/99 farming.

Seraphyna.png

Seraphyna.png

Soon to be 99 farming and I love the skill. Plant and Go !

My opinion only I think most players hate the skill because believe it or not many players think they have to stand there and watch the plants grow I see this a lot since I been farming every day.

Seriously it is one of the easiest skill to level up plant then pay the farmer and go off and do something else. Only drawback of the skill is if you are power leveling then it does get very costly. :o

queenvalerie.png

farming is amazing at points whne cooking the ranarrs I was growing negated the loss I was taking from cooking. \'

Lol for a second I thought you were saying that you were cooking the ranarrs :lol:

2480+ total

seems to me your saying that its a great skill because you use mining to make money? so basically its not the farming skill making you the great money its just a footnote, like for instance farming all you do is throw a seed in the ground see you later tree, its not a skill its a completely neglectable skill ive had a tree planted for 2 years now why? because it comes lowest on my priorities im not into greenpeace, i dont want to save the rainforest, farming is a really really bad skill imo.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Yknow i used to hate this skill up until about 2 weeks ago. I tried it and actually loved it. :thumbsup: But it just got in the way of my slaying time, and that's more important to me. Even if i only farmed between tasks, it just took too long.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

seems to me your saying that its a great skill because you use mining to make money? so basically its not the farming skill making you the great money its just a footnote, like for instance farming all you do is throw a seed in the ground see you later tree, its not a skill its a completely neglectable skill ive had a tree planted for 2 years now why? because it comes lowest on my priorities im not into greenpeace, i dont want to save the rainforest, farming is a really really bad skill imo.

Well since im going for 99 farming I just used mining as an example because it can get me more seeds for 99.

258uo8n.jpg

Well since im going for 99 farming I just used mining as an example because it can get me more seeds for 99.

I think it depends on your point of view for me time is money and in the time i plant and gather herbs i could make that money because you lose about 1k on tele runes 30k on seed and the compost etc i dont concider planting herbs as a great way of money

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png