Why is farming so mis-judged?

Th3_Crusader

I used to like farming, but i went a bit intense on it with all the seeds i'd collected from MTK and burn't out , haven't been back to farming for a month or so, but i'll get back around to it sometime.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

farming starts becoming profitable later on about 50+ but everything up till then is a pain, using loads of tele runes to farm patches, the time to gather supercompost materials, and of course the hours of seed gathering

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

seems to me your saying that its a great skill because you use mining to make money? so basically its not the farming skill making you the great money its just a footnote, like for instance farming all you do is throw a seed in the ground see you later tree, its not a skill its a completely neglectable skill ive had a tree planted for 2 years now why? because it comes lowest on my priorities im not into greenpeace, i dont want to save the rainforest, farming is a really really bad skill imo.

Well since im going for 99 farming I just used mining as an example because it can get me more seeds for 99.

I think it depends on your point of view for me time is money and in the time i plant and gather herbs i could make that money because you lose about 1k on tele runes 30k on seed and the compost etc i dont concider planting herbs as a great way of money

Ok, let's say you do a typical run of 5 herb patches planting kwuarms. You'll consume 5 seeds, 3 laws, 2 fires, 5 airs, and 5 supercompost. That's about 20k in expenses. The typical output is 30-35 herbs, so you end up having spent 20k to receive 92k-108k worth of kwuarms. That's a profit of something like 80k, for only 8 minutes' work. That's 600k/hr. Pretty good way of making money imo.

People who think farming is a slow skill are just wrong. A player who plays 1 hour a day will get to 99 farming faster than another person who plays 3 hours a day can get 99 woodcutting.

People who think farming is a slow skill are just wrong. A player who plays 1 hour a day will get to 99 farming faster than another person who plays 3 hours a day can get 99 woodcutting.

Its not 600k an hour because of growing time though its 600k for 7 hours?

If we're talking about the money here, in those 8 mins for the run there is better money makers than that

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

If we're talking about the money here, in those 8 mins for the run there is better money makers than that

Why does growing time matter? You don't spend that time farming, and if you log out and stop playing for those 75 minutes, it's just as if they had grown instantly anyway.

But if you prefer, you can call it 10k/minute.

Why does growing time matter? You don't spend that time farming, and if you log out and stop playing for those 75 minutes, it's just as if they had grown instantly anyway.

ok so if i runecraft, i go to the altar and make 30k profit, so the running time doesnt matter, just as if i didnt bank that way its like, 100k a minute so 6 mill an hour?

:thumbup: No, that's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that if you look at the amount of time it takes to make 80k, it would be the equivalent of 600k/hr. So, in theory, if you can make more than 600k/hr then farming isn't worth it for you.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

ok so if i runecraft, i go to the altar and make 30k profit, so the running time doesnt matter, just as if i didnt bank that way its like, 100k a minute so 6 mill an hour?

Pretty sure you don't make 30k off of one inventory of runes. :P

But if you could indeed ignore the time running from the altar to the bank, then yes, that would be a true analogy. That's why you see f2p'ers stopping at the air altar when they go to the crafting guild to mine gold--since they were already running back and forth right past it, the running time effectively doesn't count. If it only adds 20 seconds to your trip to the mines, then you're only spending 20 seconds to craft them as opposed to the 1:30 or whatever it would take to run back to the bank and craft more.

:thumbup: No, that's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that if you look at the amount of time it takes to make 80k, it would be the equivalent of 600k/hr. So, in theory, if you can make more than 600k/hr then farming isn't worth it for you.
I haven't farmed in forever (only 45 farm lol), but I do enjoy the skill. The point that Ajk is trying to make is that you can make 600k in just 1 hour of playing time. You log in, plant all your herb seeds with supercompost, and log out. Takes just a couple minutes. It also gives you an oppurtunity to get off the computer and enjoy life (which I daresay I need to do a bit more). Seventy-five minutes later, you sign on, harvest your herbs, replant, and log off. Almost 100k profit in just those 8-10 minutes it took you to plant, harvest, and replant. That's pretty hard to beat. \'

Barrows Runs: ~75

Days Spent Barrowing: 3

Barrows Drops: Verac Skirt, Guthan Helm, Karil Coif, Ahrim Robetop, Ahrim Hood, Guthan Spear, Ahrim Skirt

seems to me your saying that its a great skill because you use mining to make money? so basically its not the farming skill making you the great money its just a footnote, like for instance farming all you do is throw a seed in the ground see you later tree, its not a skill its a completely neglectable skill ive had a tree planted for 2 years now why? because it comes lowest on my priorities im not into greenpeace, i dont want to save the rainforest, farming is a really really bad skill imo.

That was the most uneducated and ignorant post I've read in a while.

And that's all I'm going to say.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

i have to admit, i was close-minded about it. the day it came out, i saw the login page, with all the plants growing on it, and was like "awesome omg time for farming" then i went to check it out and find out what to do, i had even saved up like 60k seeds from thieving before it came out, to get farming up. i was immature then, and had a short attention span. it also didnt help that the store was sold out of farming equipment by the time i got there, and ppl were standing around saying "selling farming sets 50k each" and whatnot, so i got 50k, bought one, sadly.

i went, figured out how to do it, planted my seeds, watered them, and was like "what now?" and found out it takes about 30 minutes for my potatoes to grow, so i was like forget it, and stopped.

about 5 months ago, after having my 6 farming staring at me in the midst of my other 70s i decided to get it up. first i got 32 by bagged plants in my house, and got 59 from there by doing runs every day. i'd get in about 4-6 rounds per day, getting pretty good experience. it's also not half bad money, though 2.6m doesn't seem like much at all to me, it adds up.

personally, i LOVE the 99 farming cape, that and the agility cape(what i do when my plants are growing) are the two BEST capes, maybe including the prayer and herblore.

of course, all 4 of my favorite capes involve work, and only 2 involve being able to buy them, but cost too much imo.

personally, i LOVE the 99 farming cape, that and the agility cape(what i do when my plants are growing) are the two BEST capes, maybe including the prayer and herblore.

of course, all 4 of my favorite capes involve work, and only 2 involve being able to buy them, but cost too much imo.

Umm i think that unless you want to spend 3 years farming then farming is also going to cost alot of money :roll:

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I myself, love farming. I'm level 63, and it's never been boring.

Although I must admit. There are times when I don't feel like farming; not in the mood, shall I say? I know that it is nigh time to go pick my herbs and replant, but part of me just doesn't feel like it. Therefore I decide to ignore that farming run. Then there are times when I can't wait. It's a strange feeling, and I hope you understand what this crazy man is talking about.

Now what I think drives most people away from farming is that you have to wait. Think about it. How many of you automatically put a GE offer at max for an item you want? Don't wanna wait do you? I do the same, I'm just pointing this out. Well when some players don't want to wait to get experience, they think farming is boring.

Then there are plain, well, stupid people. Well I don't want to say stupid, since many of them are actually quite smart. But some people who simply don't get farming. For example:

1) A big reason is people "don't know how to farm". You'd think it's easy enough? Well I'll tell you a good friend of mine got to level 21 farming by weeding patches. He didn't know any other way to gain experience. Meh.

2) Some people are paranoid about plants dying, and sit there staring down the plants all day until they grow

3) Others don't know you don't have to be at the patch for them to grow, or have to be logged in

4) Some don't know you can grow stuff in more than 1 patch

I love farming for the fact that its so different from all of the other skills.

I admit I can't always be bothered to do it everyday but I still enjoy it when I do :D

Although I must admit. There are times when I don't feel like farming; not in the mood, shall I say? I know that it is nigh time to go pick my herbs and replant, but part of me just doesn't feel like it. Therefore I decide to ignore that farming run. Then there are times when I can't wait. It's a strange feeling, and I hope you understand what this crazy man is talking about.
Yep that would be the same for me lol.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I think people hate it because they think it requires you to stand there and moniter the patches to make sure nothing happens, watering them, etc. They then throw in the "hassle of checking" all your patches, that they get so overwhelmed and give up.

I really use to hate farming myself, so much I even made an account named Anti Farmer. But I've grown to like it. It's extremely easy xp in my opinion. I went from 38-50 in a couple of days just by harvesting crops, and replanting, and then logging out.

Not to mention you can make a good chunk of change from it. It also lets me break from hunter every so often ;)

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

I haven't farmed in forever (only 45 farm lol), but I do enjoy the skill. The point that Ajk is trying to make is that you can make 600k in just 1 hour of playing time. You log in, plant all your herb seeds with supercompost, and log out. Takes just a couple minutes. It also gives you an oppurtunity to get off the computer and enjoy life (which I daresay I need to do a bit more). Seventy-five minutes later, you sign on, harvest your herbs, replant, and log off. Almost 100k profit in just those 8-10 minutes it took you to plant, harvest, and replant. That's pretty hard to beat. \'

GE Merching you log in for 1 minute to sell 1 minute to buy, can be like 15m profits a time

GE Merching you log in for 1 minute to sell 1 minute to buy, can be like 15m profits a time

What's your point exactly? Yes, that's true, but it doesn't pertain to farming at all.

It's easy to train. Plant In morning, Check After schoo, plant, check before bed, plant, check morning, plant...

I do that at 3 patches, Cammy, Ardy and Fally, and probaly make a small profit, and I still have some time to do fishing :D

Its slow to level though.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Farming is one of the most unique skills and could be used to good potential. Though I dislike how it doesn't have much content like the only good way to make money is herbs and snapdragons are one of the last good money maker for herbs and that ends at what lvl 63? You can farm new trees and fruit trees but man its just a moneysink and faster exp. Oh and growing a spirit tree (lvl 85) isn't all that rewarding in how much effort you put into it.

I do love how I see a mighty tree and harvesting 9 ranarrs, pretty exciting but I hate how I get to worried about them getting disease and such can't get enough consentration on what I'm doing. I lost 4 of my ranarr seeds in a few run before and that really was frustrating.

I like farming a lot... and if you have a bit of patience, you can get to 99 cost free. I MTK for tree seeds and get herb seeds from slayer. I start my RS gameplay with a herb patch round, and then go on a tree round. After that I go do whatever skill I please (agility lately) and end my RS day with another herb round. I always log out at the My Arm patch, that way I can harvest/plant/harvest/plant in one swoop, without the running around. This method allows me to not interrupt the other skill I'm training and still gain farming experience. I'm close to 95 farming now, never made a loss from it (on the contrary), and it never felt like I had to grind away at it as you have to do with other skills.

When slaying, it's even better... do a task, do a short herb round (2 patches), do a task, do a short herb round. Those two skills match perfectly ::'.

The only thing that does bother me, is that there's no logic to the disease rate... At 95 farming, I still have marigolds die on me way too often. They should implement "no disease" levels, just like there are "no burn" levels for cooking.

Because it requires some thought beforehand. It's a little harder than "attack X, bury bones, attack X, bury bones, eat lobster, attack X, sip Ppot.."

The average scaper wont like to plan things out in advance.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

I don't enjoy it simply because I don't know how to level it and make money, thus it's my lowest skill. Same with all of my lower skills - i just don't know methods to raise them. I've never even truely farmed except for the garden of tranquility quest, I got to level 30 using Sorceress' Garden.

UrbanLegend.png