Why is farming so mis-judged?

Th3_Crusader

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5k exp in 2 hours (2.5k/h)!!!! Thats precicely why people dont like farming. At that rate it would take me 3 years and 143 days doing 4 hours a day of only farming and nothing else.

Yes, that would be true, although that experience rate is specifically from Herbs, and I have yet to hear of the player to reach 99 Farming through running Herbs alone. =p

I actually went from 80 to 99 on thousands of dwarf weed seeds. Sure, it's not "herbs alone", but it's 85% of the way.

I personally make atleast 200k profit per farming run. With a ent and harvesting the odd berry bush, cacti and every fruit tree I get 100k from them alone (it cost me nothing at all, yes thats 100k in about 3 minutes at 0 cost).

I've made millions getting to 71 and my current herblore level is almost exclusively down to farming and quests, its the ultimate side skill for any activity.

It always amazes me when people ask how to obtain 65 for WGS as its one of the easiest skills to level requiring very little time or effort. The hardest bit is setting up your run map and getting a standard inventory.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I personally make atleast 200k profit per farming run. With a ent and harvesting the odd berry bush, cacti and every fruit tree I get 100k from them alone (it cost me nothing at all, yes thats 100k in about 3 minutes at 0 cost).

I've made millions getting to 71 and my current herblore level is almost exclusively down to farming and quests, its the ultimate side skill for any activity.

It always amazes me when people ask how to obtain 65 for WGS as its one of the easiest skills to level requiring very little time or effort. The hardest bit is setting up your run map and getting a standard inventory.

Could you explain how that works? Maybe I'm just noob, but it seems a bit exaggerated...

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

Could you explain how that works? Maybe I'm just noob, but it seems a bit exaggerated...

Which bit?

The fruit trees are pretty simple. Catherby->tree->Brimhaven via charter boat->tree->RoD duel arena ->cacti-> teleport crystal->tree->RoD MA->run to the gnome->tree->back to the tree and teleport to the grand tree->tree

Thats 5 trees and 1 cacti in only a few clicks with a Ent its the normal amount of fruit/cacti times about 1.5 per harvest.

So thats ((6*1.5)*5)=45*1421=63945

(3*1.5)*3795=17077

17077+63945=81022

Now I normally mix the tree run in with the farming run so I include 2 or 3 berry bushes in there (I start in varrock normally so harvest the champion guild bush first, the other 1 or 2 are either the monstary near the fruit tree and/or rimmington [house tele there or run from the fally allotment])

So thats (4*1.5)*1305=7830 per berry bush

So 2 bushes is 15660 and 3 is 23490.

Add them all together and you have just under or just over 100k without spending anything (dueling rings can be sold at (1) for the same price as buying them and (8) and the teleports total at less then 1k).

The allotments I plant marigolds and ranarrs with snaps in my arms patch.

Ranarrs about about 17k profit per seed and snaps over slightly higher.

Marigolds are almost pure profit at about 3.5k each.

Thats 17*4+20=88

3.5*4=14

88+14=102

Thats 102k profit on average (includes deaths).

If I was bothered theres 5 bushes in total so it could add another 15k to the total.

So 200k+ per trip is right.

It takes about 10 minutes and uses about 1k in runes/coins at the most (trollwiss, camelot and 260 for the charter boat) as most of the teleports are free or the money can be gotten from simply selling them before they hit 0.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Because most people want instant gratification, simple as that.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Er, the only reason I don't like it is that crop plots don't have anything to do after watermelons, which are both expensive to get seeds for (even when not being merched) and suck really badly in profit (even if you do convert it to supercompost), and that even though they've made a farming amulet, it only watches crops which you can already hire farmers to take care of, and that you can't use it for herb patches, which can't be watched by farmers, dies pretty fast, and are the only thing worth planting to sell. The farming amulet is useless, and I have to scramble to each patch just to make sure my herbs don't die. It's sort of frustrating sometimes.

And that patch on top of Trollheim takes a ridiculous walk through trolls to get to.

8f14270694.jpg

I loved farming. In the last week or so of my membership, when I didn't really have time to do anything else, I bought 100 snapdragon and limpwurt seeds, planted them, logged out, logged back in later, and repeated the cycle. At the end of it I sold everything for like a 5m profit. Not bad for playing like an hour a day.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't hate farming but I don't love it either... It seem to me a very confusing skill to begin and is not as a straightforward starter as something like Smithing or Runecrafting. I tried to read every help site's guide(including tip's) and even then I got confused in like the 5 paragraph and I just moved on... I see potential and some "enjoyment" out of farming (on the same scale as Cooking...), but it's just not very user-friendly to start with (in my opinion...).

I don't hate farming but I don't love it either... It seem to me a very confusing skill to begin and is not as a straightforward starter as something like Smithing or Runecrafting. I tried to read every help site's guide(including tip's) and even then I got confused in like the 5 paragraph and I just moved on... I see potential and some "enjoyment" out of farming (on the same scale as Cooking...), but it's just not very user-friendly to start with (in my opinion...).

I have to agree with you there. It is extremely hard to get to grips with. I read runescape wiki's training guide to farming, and they suggested crop running past 30 farming. Read through the article FIVE times and still didn't understand how to do it :lol:. It was my most hated skill for a long time. Well, now it's definitely my favourite.

I still haven't trained it since I started my 99 Woodcutting goal, now I'm going for all skills 70+ so I won't start it up again until sometime next year. But I do the casual herb and tree run, and I love it :D

disturbeda.png

Yep, it does take a long time to get used to. I hated the skill until I went for all 50+ (it was my last one) and never stopped. I think there's a point that once you understand how it works and develop a system that works for you, it's a very enjoyable skill.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Couldn't agree more, I've grown to love it! And I mean really love it! :grin:

I think I'm around 400K till 94 Farming! :thumbsup:

I do agree with you; it's the only skill that gives you time on your hands, and it's just so relaxing, it gives you time to make money, do another skill, or just generally do whatever you want really! :smile:

It's just epic to be honest. \:D/