What do you think will end the human race?

thrash-boy

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that is needed to exceed the speed of light is a "warp drive," the basic idea behind it being that you would shrink space in front of you and expand space behind you to basically be propelled along. The only problem is that no one knows how to shrink or expand space, and even if they did the energy required would be enormous.

Regardless, that's not really going faster than light, you're merely beating it to the point by taking a shorter distance. When we say the speed of light, usually it refers to c, the speed of light in a vacuum.

Hm. I have this idea (though it may be completely stupid):

They are trying to figure out the nature of a field that makes certain objects have mass, am I right? The field of Higgs bosons?

Would it be possible to create mass-free conduits through space in order to travel at light speed?

Yes, yes, I've heard something similar to that recently. I believe you are correct when it comes to the Higgs particle, that it would help us understand why objects attain their mass. Though, I was out of school when I learned that, so I can't go in depth with you there. When you get down that low, things get a bit quirky (pun intended). :P

indeed, think of a peice of paper, run your finger along it. now fold it in half over and over, now run your finger along it again, and it will take less time. thats the basic principle(I think :oops: )

pretty much a wormhole, your crushing space together. which, theoriatically, takes a ridiculous amount of energy. from a forgotten source: in the same way a battery gets a tiny, tiny amount heavier when its fully charged(energy weighs something)

it takes something like 10 million tons of pure energy to power a metre wide wormhole for a minute.

that could have been proven wrong by now though, read it quite a while back.

Correct, so you're not going faster, you're just getting their faster. This is a perfect theory, but it misleads people into thinking that you're actually traveling faster than light. While in reality, your displacement is staying the same, the only thing that would change is distance.
hopesolopatriot.jpg