Honestly...

Powman3

Seriously dude, you ARE the typical teenager. Look at your posts. You're not looking for advice, you're looking for people to agree with you. I hope you're aware that you're talking to people that have gone through the same phase as you - I just went through that phase. I had protective parents - i couldnt go out often, they'd look through my stuff, i'd let my anger get the best of me when they didnt "get" me. and i got my license when i was 18 (as opposed to 17, the legal driving age in my state. I'm 18 now.). And you know what? I never broke my parent's trust.

Now all they need to know is where I'm going. They dont question me. Why? They trust me, as protective as they still are.

But you clearly and obviously lost your parent's trust, and you're only 14. You lie to yourself every time you think you parents don't understand you - one, biologically you ARE just like your parents. and two, they undoubtedly have experience, most likely during a time more liberal with illegal activities than now.

So heres a little info - the best time to have your parent's trust is when you get your license. Your parents have full control of when you get your driving permit and when you get your license. Thats age 16 then 17. Make an investment now - get your parent's trust back. If you have nothing to hide, don't try to hide anything. If you want to do something, let them know. Get over the fact that you don't understand anything, and that your attitude is fueled mostly by uncontrollable hormones. Most people understand after this phase. If you don't, then you truely [bleep] up, and it'd be your fault.

No. I'm not. I asked for advice, not agreement.

And I just admitted I'm the stereotypical teenager. Seriously.

I do appreciate the fact that you took your time to post some advice, though. I have to agree, sadly, since it's very true about what you said.

When I posted this I was extremely pissed. But when I look back, I'm like "What the hell? I'm better than this." It's no lie. But I took the time to look at your posts, and seriously, like I said, they're eye-openers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move out of the house. I mean, it's their house, their rules.

Oh wait... 14 lol

I never understood this logic... this basically allows child abuse. #-o

Its all about mutalality (SP) as long as both sides keeps their part clean. The OP lost his when he smoked in Jr. High....High school is understandable, but Jr. High? I wouldn't trust my kid after that neither.

Uhh... no it doesn't. There are obviously lines that won't be crossed... including laws.

I couldn't care less if you're a typical teenager. I don't see how that stops you having concerns, or how that removes your right to talk about them.

I don't like posting crap like this, but if you guys don't mind caring, tell me what you think about this or if you have similar problems.

My parents basically like to invade my personal life. They say they trust me, but then they have to know everything about what I'm doing and stuff, and that obviously means they don't trust me enough to not do anything [developmentally delayed]. They go through my stuff as well sometimes. It ticks me off. Seriously.

Whatever. Maybe I'm outrageously pissed off. I think that's it. I'll be fine later, then. But I'd like to know what you guys think.

Don't get me wrong, I love my folks. They care for me, they cook my food, pay the bills. But I hate it when they have to know EVERYTHING when they say they even trust me.

If you trust me, then you believe I won't do anything wrong, correct?

Going through your stuff seems completely unreasonable. They are called your personal possessions for a reason and so long as you're not bringing home drugs, booze or stolen goods then I can't really see what moral right your parents have to go through your stuff.

Asking where you go out though, well I would have no issues with that. When I was in high school, my Dad still asked me where I was going. He does the same for my younger brother. Sometimes it would be about things that I didn't want him knowing about, things involving my personal life. Nothing criminal, just personal. I lied to him at the time, but I always ended up telling him. All I did was delay the inevitable - him finding out what who I was going around with and what I was doing with them. It would have been far easier for me to have just told him straight out to begin with, then when I started triping, come to him for open advice.

Them wanting to know where you're going isn't being overprotective, they just want to know so they can look out for you from the sidelines without getting too involved. Plus, when you keep back that information, it forces them to get more anxious about why you're lying and makes them feel more compelled to actually go through your personal possessions to find out what you're up to.

I'm sure they trust you, but they've gotta make sure you're not into something dodgy. And I've seen people in my own life get into something dodgy. It's a tough way to go. I know it's a concern amongst parents in my area. Don't shrug your parents' anxieties off just because you know there's nothing to be worried about.

The one thing I've noticed from the first post, as I do with all problems concerning trust and honesty (if you've said something in the rest of thread I haven't read it) is that you haven't seemed to have tried to talk to them about this. Maybe when you feel you can trust them enough to sit down with them and have a talk about how much privacy they allow you, will they actually feel as though you have the maturity to deserve that privacy. Trust is a two-way process, and you've gotta give some to receive some.

they don't bother to hear me out

maybe you should hear them out. your a typical teenager. your parents are doing what they think is best for you. eventually you will work out fully that the world doesn't revolve just around you, that will come as you get older.

I've read through this entire thing, and I quite agree with the statements said about being a typical teenager. You aren't the first person with this issue, and I'm pretty sure your kids will think the same thing of you when you have them. It's normal, and there really isn't much you can do.

TBH, you are extremely lucky that that's the only problem you have with your parents. I had no social life at that age, and didn't get one until I was 16, because of my fater being very overprotective. Try having someone with hunting rifles scaring any guy in high school you'd want to date away by pointing guns at them. It's not fun.

So, yeah, honestly, just deal with it. It's not the end of the world, and there are more important things that you'll deal with later.

Was your dad my English teacher?

Did he ever take your door because you slammed it?

He told us stories.

>_>

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I've read through this entire thing, and I quite agree with the statements said about being a typical teenager. You aren't the first person with this issue, and I'm pretty sure your kids will think the same thing of you when you have them. It's normal, and there really isn't much you can do.

TBH, you are extremely lucky that that's the only problem you have with your parents. I had no social life at that age, and didn't get one until I was 16, because of my fater being very overprotective. Try having someone with hunting rifles scaring any guy in high school you'd want to date away by pointing guns at them. It's not fun.

So, yeah, honestly, just deal with it. It's not the end of the world, and there are more important things that you'll deal with later.

Was your dad my English teacher?

Did he ever take your door because you slammed it?

He told us stories.

>_>

My dad isn't smart enough to be a teacher. Trust me on this.

I guess I will always have arguments with my parents. And I will always disagree with something they say. And it's not because I'm the typical teenager. It's because I just don't like or agree with what they're saying.

I appreciate all the people (especially Ginger) who took their time to write out advice. Seriously. It helped. When I feel that I need to have a serious talk with them, I will. But for now I have to live under their rules, because seriously, I wouldn't be here without them (although some of you may now wish that).

I wrote this because yes, of course I wanted someone to agree with me. Everyone does. Seriously. If you don't you're more than like a hypocrite. That's my opinion. But I also wanted advice and you gave it to me (although must of you were very blunt about it).

Now I would just like this topic locked. Thank you for your help everybody (except Abyssal).