Do we need more Account Security in Runescape?

Dire_Wolf

Now as Jagex has nearly killed RWT, and i am wondering. Do you want Jagex to make a way to make sure hackers can't in no way touch your account even if they knew the details by securing it from inside?

Do you like the idea of more security, why and why not?

I personally, want or hope Jagex can somehow make sure Accounts will be safe. It is most likely hard to do so, but you can't say it's impossible before you try.

Defintly would be great if they managed that, and i am sure alot players will appriate it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now as Jagex has nearly killed RWT, and i am wondering. Do you want Jagex to make a way to make sure hackers can't in no way touch your account even if they knew the details by securing it from inside?

Do you like the idea of more security, why and why not?

I personally, want or hope Jagex can somehow make sure Accounts will be safe. It is most likely hard to do so, but you can't say it's impossible before you try.

Defintly would be great if they managed that, and i am sure alot players will appriate it.

I'm not following how that would work. Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "to make sure hackers can't in no way touch your account even if they knew the details by securing it from inside?" Do you mean like a P.I.N. in the beginning, so they can not even move your character?

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

Yeah, a sort of Pin but not nessecarily. Not touch your account, as in not dropping your items..

wait a sec, what's your suggestion? There's got to be more than just make our accounts more secure... And even so, doesn't this belong in suggestions forum?

Ive gotten 2 threads moved to "Suggestion", which wasn't. Are you trying to be funny? This one has no sign of suggestion...

How provocing.

wait a sec, what's your suggestion? There's got to be more than just make our accounts more secure... And even so, doesn't this belong in suggestions forum?

I think passwords should be a minimum of 20 letters and numbers and you must request to be logged on 1 hour prior to the time you will play

Therefore no 10year olds can hack

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I think passwords should be a minimum of 20 letters and numbers and you must request to be logged on 1 hour prior to the time you will play

Therefore no 10year olds can hack

Im sorry but no [bleep]ing way on that hour in advance, I'm not gonna say, "hey I want to play RuneScape, Let me apply and I can play RuneScape in an hour!" hell no.

Yeah, a sort of Pin but not nessecarily. Not touch your account, as in not dropping your items..

Ive gotten 2 threads moved to "Suggestion", which wasn't. Are you trying to be funny? This one has no sign of suggestion...

How provocing.

Well exactly, its not a suggestion its like a discussion on would you appreciate more security, thats a rhetorical question, everyone wants more security.

Not trying to be funny... -.-

how could you make it more secure? The only way I can think of is being able to only play from 1 IP address.

Playing 1 hour after requesting is stupid.

Making 20 characters minimum is also a bad idea. What needs to be required is a mix of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

how could you make it more secure? The only way I can think of is being able to only play from 1 IP address.

Making 20 characters minimum is also a bad idea. What needs to be required is a mix of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.

On my signature is a way to make it better, but that's just a example. As for how a pass shud be, i agree with you.

20 letters= hard to remember and annoying.

On my signature is a way to make it better, but that's just a example. As for how a pass shud be, i agree with you.

20 letters= hard to remember and annoying.

Um, Depends. It is easier for me, as my University requires me to have a 20 letter pass with a combination of Capital, Lowercase, and numbers.

My current pass in Runescape is my gf's name and part of her phone number. Would be hard to guess unless you know me irl.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

I like the idea of that, as long as it isn't an extreme inconvenience on my part. Every time I hear about hacking stories, I get paranoid, fret about my security, and change my pass. My favorite suggestion is he Login Pin.

I like the idea of that, as long as it isn't an extreme inconvenience on my part. Every time I hear about hacking stories, I get paranoid, fret about my security, and change my pass. My favorite suggestion is he Login Pin.

I threw that out there trying to understand what he was implying, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

It would have to be a second login screen, however. Otherwise, if I log out at Mith Dragons I run the risk of dying while I enter my P.I.N.

Another thing to point out with that is is would eliminate the need to enter your P.I.N. anywhere else. While you aren't saving any time, it would feel like you were saving time in-game. (At least, thats how it would seem to me)

-Genghis Khan

how about a fingerprint scanner? or DNA testing!

I heard of a software that can use a web cam to scan the color of your irises. Maybe web cams will now be required to play RuneScape? :ohnoes:

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

Or just leave it the way it is. Account security has been, since the creation of this game in 2001, in top fit shape. You have a password, no one else should know that password. If someone does know, you did something wrong.

It's fine Jagex telling players not to give away passwords but after that, tough luck. I hate Jagex' attidude on softening everything up so people will stay. Jagex needs to realise they can't please someone when they don't give a rat's [wagon] care about their account/the game itself.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The account security on Runescape is very good already, better than most others since they don't have these stupid email password requests. If there's any other way to improve it, it would probably be giving you a different account name to go with your character.

For instance, I'm Necrobrawler there. I log in using the name Chaos Reborn there and select my character Necrobrawler to play.

This reminds me of the idea to have a way to bury some of your valuables randomly thoughout the map so only you would know where they are if someone hacks you.

I like that idea a lot. The only problem is that you'd have to visit that spot every time you put the item away and logged off. But I'd definitely feel safer hiding my GS at someplace only I knew about. I'm not the only one who uses this computer, so I want to be cautious about keyloggers.

the E-bay football and the wow football (same device really)

On the podcast security now, steve gibson talks about the e-bay football and how its a "one time key"

What this does is .. I could give you my username and password.. and they are useless to you.

this device keeps a clock running in it and when you press the key it will give you a 6 digit code to enter.. this # has such a small chance of being used again that it can be used to show that you are in possession of it.

I believe this item could prevent 99.999999% of hacks and make things easier to work with in game.

but they do have a cost from $5.00 (where the company subsidizes it) or about $30ish if the company does not.

I wish Jagex would use this.

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

A little more than a year back, I wrote an article for RuneHead, when they were still doing editorials. Ironically enough, my topic was about hackers/account security. Here's an excerpt:

... What I'm about to tell you all here is simply preaching to the choir, but you must take account security into your own hands. No one, not even Jagex, can do that for you. Their methods of warning users about the perils of hackers and malicious attempts on your computer come in forms as light as the recommending of only using their personal web-client, which runs with Internet Explorer and using Firefox to play, to measures as extreme as blocking out your entire password should you type it up in one sentence. Jagex also warns their users to not download things they don't trust, and to never condone or download autominers or any programs of that sort. However, ultimately, at the end of the day, what you do with your machine is your choice, and the consequences of it are those that you should also weather on your own. ...

[Source]

To sum up: There is no cyberlock that can be created that can replace your own responsibility to keep your account and computer secure. Period.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

On the podcast security now, steve gibson talks about the e-bay football and how its a "one time key"

What this does is .. I could give you my username and password.. and they are useless to you.

this device keeps a clock running in it and when you press the key it will give you a 6 digit code to enter.. this # has such a small chance of being used again that it can be used to show that you are in possession of it.

I believe this item could prevent 99.999999% of hacks and make things easier to work with in game.

but they do have a cost from $5.00 (where the company subsidizes it) or about $30ish if the company does not.

That sounds pretty interesting, but how is JAGeX going to ship these devices to people all across the world? And how does JAGeX know that the account owner is getting it? And if someone has one, is each one registered to an account? So you still need to know the password and user name, but you also need to possess the device? Is it small enough to carry around and tough enough to not break? What if someone tampered with the device to cheat the number system? It just seems like too much effort for the tiny bit of extra security. And it could potentially cut down on the "play anywhere" aspect of RuneScape. Maybe if it was optional, so you could order one from JAGeX for a one-time fee of around $10 (including shipping).

mrE.png

That sounds pretty interesting, but how is JAGeX going to ship these devices to people all across the world? And how does JAGeX know that the account owner is getting it? And if someone has one, is each one registered to an account? So you still need to know the password and user name, but you also need to possess the device? Is it small enough to carry around and tough enough to not break? What if someone tampered with the device to cheat the number system? It just seems like too much effort for the tiny bit of extra security. And it could potentially cut down on the "play anywhere" aspect of RuneScape. Maybe if it was optional, so you could order one from JAGeX for a one-time fee of around $10 (including shipping).

I recomend you check out the e-bay site for alot more info https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/PPSecurityKeyFAQ-outside

When you sign up (or request one/pay for it) its sent to your address (not much can be done if a family member gets it)

It would HAVE to be optional, but Each one could be registered to multiple accounts.

You will still need the username/pass but they are worthless without they fob/football/dongle.

Its small and tough.. but if it breaks it can be replaced but once power is lost for a few minutes the device becomes useless.

You can re-synch it with the server but it is a drawn out complicated process (and you can log in without it under that same process if you had to) which means cheating the device is useless.. if you have it its usefull..

The perfect thing is you can still play anywhere.

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!