Table of Contents

I. Intro

II. General Info

III. Setup/Inventory

IV. Safe Spots/Lure

V. The Unknown

VI. Analysis/Statistics

VII. Credits

[hide=I. Intro]Well we all know about the benefits of Summoning and how great having a high summoning level can be but for most of us there is one thing holding us back... CHARMS!!! Well in this guide I will show you the fastest (although costly) way to collecting charms in the game and earning you that coveted 88 Summoning that everyone wants.[/hide]

[hide=II. General Info]Alright so for the purpose of this guide I am going to assume that you know how to get to Waterbirth Dungeon this section is some information to know before bursting.

Info:

1. You need someone to let you into waterbirth dungeon.

2. Waterbirth dungeon is quite dangerous so be careful when getting to the spot.

3. When casting on the trapped lobsters only 5 will show when you right click on them even though you are attacking 9.

4. If you have completed the required quest bringing a holy wrench can be beneficial in conserving prayer.

5. Clue scrolls drop by the rock lobsters are level 2 and should only be picked up if you have an extra empty spot toward the end of a trip.

6. If your health gets low during a lure and you think you might die always use your one click teleport. Dieing here is terrible not only can you lose over 3 mill in casts and equipment you lose all the time you invested in collecting charms that trip.

Suggested Lvls:

- Must have at least 70 mage to cast ice burst but I would suggest 80+ to be effective.

- 80+ Defense to tank the range hits

- 85+ Hp

*Only the mage is necessary but I feel that without the other two you might have some trouble.

Required Quests:

- Desert Treasure - Ancients (All preceding quests)

Recommended Quests:

- Fremennik Trials - No inventory spot wasted on coins to get to waterbirth[/hide]

[hide=III. Setup/Inventory]Bursting / High Mage Setup

211.jpg

Barraging / Low Weight Setup

3ff.jpg

Inventory: House Teletab, Burst or Barrage runes, Iron arrow, Steel arrow, Noted pure essence, Gold charm, Green Charm, Crimson charm, Blue charm, 2 Extreme magic pots, 10 Prayer pots, Falador Shield 3, Enhanced Excaliber, Rune throwing axe, 1 Shark.

Since the update to running energy it is now very unlikely you will ever need to use the low weight setup anymore. While still being just as effective as the high mage bonus setup in terms of charms gained there really is no point to it anymore. I would now recommend a high prayer bonus setup swapping items like Fury for a God Stole and Ahrim's Hood for a God Mitre.

When determining your setup some people prefer bring veracs or proselyte armor in there inventory in order to increase there prayer bonus and stay for longer with the same amount of prayer potions. I myself prefer to just bring ahrims, I barely use any prayer on my lures anywhere and could easily get 4000 casts in with the setup above. I normally get very bored if I'm there for more then 4k casts so this setup works nicely for me but it is really just a matter of opinion.

*** NOTE: SGS is very helpful in reducing the amount of prayer potions used while bursting or barraging. If you can afford one I highly recommend taking it. ***

Alternative Equipment:

Head: God Mitre > Farseer > Ahrims Hood > Mystic Hat

Body: Ahrims Top > Battle Robe Top > Infinity Top > Veracs Body > Mystic Body

Shield: Arcane Spirit Sheild > Mage Book > Zammy Book > Guthix Book

Necklace: Arcane Stream > Fury > God Stole > Magic Amulet > Glory

Cape: God Cape > Fire Cape > Skillcape > Obby Cape

Legs: Ahrims Skirt > Battle Robe Bottom > Infinity Skirt > Mystic Skirt

Feet: Infinity boots > Wizard boots > Boots of Lightness > Mystic boots > Bandos boots > Dragon boots

Ring: Ring of Life > Seer's Ring (i) > Onyx Ring (i) > Dragonstone Ring (i) > Seers ring

Weapon hand: Staff of Light > Master Wand > Ancients Staff > Water Battlestaff[/hide]

[hide=IV. Safespots/Lure]SafeSpots:

Below are the Two alternative safespots that can be used if necessary:

Spot 1:

5cd.jpg

Spot 2:

0e3.jpg

Spot 3:

rocklob_howto2f5.PNG

This spot seems to be a favorite of many bursters/barragers, I personally have yet to try it but from what I hear it works quite well.

Here is the safe spot I use most of the time when bursting:

Main Bursting Safe Spot:

ab1.jpg

This is the spot I use when bursting, when luring the lobs in this spot you need to take one step left and then back right as shown in the picture above to pull the lobs around the corner into the safe spot. I would suggest doing this with prayer on at first until you get the hang of it. This is in my opinion the best spot to burst lobs at because of where the items from the lobsters drop. Below is a picture of me standing on the drop spot:

02c.jpg

In this spot I am completely safe from getting attacked by lobsters as they re-spawn. This spot is great for regaining your run energy and keeping the lobsters off of you while you are collecting charms and drops.

The Luring Method:

Here is the method to luring the 9 lobsters into the Main Safespot. The description and pictures are assuming you are starting from the drop spot shown in the picture above.

Position 1:

703.jpg

Run here from the drop spot to get the 3 lobsters by the ladder on you. If my health is high enough I usually run this spot without melee pray on but if your health is under 750 I would suggest using melee prayer here.

Position 2:

a26.jpg

Run to this spot from position 1 to get the three lobs around the corner on you. This is when you will want to turn your melee prayer on. Wait at this spot until you have all 6 lobs around the corner and then continue to position 3.

Position 3:

3a3.jpg

When you get to this spot you will most likely have range dags and a mage walrus on you so just be quick and watch your health. Running to this spot will get all 9 lobster on you.

Position 4:

b07.jpg

Position 4 is the most important position running to this spot and then to position 5 will trap all the melee dags in this spot allowing you to be free take all the lobs to the safe spot without having them on you.

Position 5:

ab1.jpg

Position 5 is of course just the safespot once here you can just burst away collecting vast amounts of charms.

The Trap:

Here is a more in depth explanation of how to trap the lobsters behind the torch.

trapping_melee_dags85a.PNG[/hide]

[hide=V. The Unknown]Well I couldn't think of a good title for this section so I just went with this. This section will describe what to do if you get into bad situations or do a bad lure.

1. Low Hp - If you find your hp goes under 70 send a blood burst at the lured lobsters to recover your health.

2. Bad Lures - If you make a bad lure or let a rock lobster slip through simply put melee prayer on an take all the lobsters to one of the other safespots.

3. Melee dags - If a melee dag comes up and gets on you easiest thing to do is put melee prayer on until it is dead from your bursts. You could also save your prayer and just use blood bursts when your health gets low from the melee dag.

4. Range dags - This is the same as melee dags just range pray instead of melee. Range dags can also be solved by going to another safespot.[/hide]

[hide=VI. Analysis/Statistics]Here are the pictures from four of my bursting trips I will use these along with other data to develop some statistics of my bursting over time.

Bursting Statistics:

Trip 1:

9d5.jpg

Trip 2:

751.jpg

Trip 3:

a17.jpg

Trip 4:

695.jpg

Trip 5:

1b6.jpg

Trip 6:

d7c.jpg

Trip 7:

084.jpg

Trip 8:

7d7.jpg

Trip 9: Thanks to Bedman

449.jpg

Trip 10: Thanks to Nightshade53

c8a.jpg

Trip 11: Thanks to Zaaps1

2aa.jpg

Trip 12: Thanks to Viralaether

dde.jpg

Trip 1 Charms = 1509, Crimson = 877

Trip 2 Charms = 1461, Crimson = 780

Trip 3 Charms = 1467, Crimson = 825

Trip 4 Charms = 1554, Crimson = 877

Trip 5 Charms = 1575, Crimson = 893

Trip 6 Charms = 1456, Crimson = 787

Trip 7 Charms = 1491, Crimson = 835

Trip 8 Charms = 1439, Crimson = 837

Trip 9 Charms = 1969, Crimson = 1081 (Credit To Bedman) Casts = 3996

Trip 10 Charms = 2371, Crimson = 1350 (Credit To Nightshade53) Casts = 5000

Trip 11 Charms = 1487, Crimson = 870 (Credit To Zaaps1) Casts = 3150

Trip 12 Charms = 1030, Crimson = 535 (Credit To Viralaether) Casts = 2700

The data below only takes into account the first 8 trips and trip 11 where the number of casts does not change. I do this because it makes the calculations much simpler and more reliable.

Total Charms = 13439, Total Crimson = 7581

Average Charms per Trip = 1493.2 Charms/Trip

Average Crim per Trip = 842.3 Crimsons/Trip

% Crim/Charm = (7581/13439) * 100 = 56.4% Crimson

Casts used each trip = 3150 Casts

Average Crimsons per 1k casts = 842.3/3.15 = 267.4 Crimsons/1k Casts

Cost of 1k Casts (as of 8/11/09) =

2000 Deaths = 305 * 2000 = 610000

4000 Chaos = 112 * 4000 = 448000

4000 Water = 16 * 4000 = 64000

Total = 64000 + 420000 + 598000 = 1122000

Cost per Crimson Charm = 1,122,000/267.4 = 4,196 gp/crimson

Mage Exp Trip 5 = 576,778 exp

Mage Exp Trip 6 = 567,666 exp

Mage Exp Trip 7 = 573,532 exp

Mage Exp Trip 8 = 573,805 exp

Total Mage Exp = 2,291,781 exp

Average Mage Experience Per Trip = 572,945.25 exp

Mage Exp Per 1k Casts Trip 5 = 183,104 exp

Mage Exp Per 1k Casts Trip 6 = 180,211.4 exp

Mage Exp Per 1k Casts Trip 7 = 182,073.7 exp

Mage Exp Per 1k Casts Trip 8 = 182,160.3 exp

Average Mage Experience Per 1k Casts = 181,887.4 exp

Barraging Statistics:

Trip 1:

b9f.jpg

Trip 2:

550.jpg

Trip 3:

f64.jpg

Trip 1 Charms: 1249, Crimson: 720

Trip 2 Charms: 1302, Crimson: 719

Trip 3 Charms: 1312, Crimson: 694

Total Charms = 3863, Total Crimson = 2133

Average Charms per Trip = 1287.67 Charms/Trip

Average Crim per Trip = 711 Crimsons/Trip

% Crim/Charm = (1439/2551) * 100 = 55.22% Crimson

Casts used each trip = 2100

Average Crimsons per 1k casts = 711/2.1 = 338.6 Crimsons/1k Casts

Cost of 1k Casts (as of 8/11/09) =

4000 Deaths = 305 * 4000 = 1220000

2000 Blood = 326 * 2000 = 652000

6000 Water = 16 * 6000 = 96000

Total = 96000 + 574000 + 1196000 = 1968000

Cost per Crimson Charm = 1,968,000/338.6 = 5812.2 gp/crimson

Mage Exp Trip 1 = 505,751 exp

Mage Exp Trip 2 = 500,829 exp

Mage Exp Trip 3 = 507,064 exp

Total Mage Exp = 1,513,644 exp

Average Mage Experience Per Trip = 504,548 exp

Average Mage Experience Per 1k Casts = 240260.95 exp

Well I consider this very good and if one were able to trade charms I would pay 4k per crimson in a heartbeat so I'm happy with how the statistics turned out. Will be doing more barraging trips to obtain better data, but I doubt I will find a difference of more then +-10 crims for the average per 1k casts.[/hide]

[hide=VII. Credits]Thanks everyone for reading hopes this helps all of you get your summoning levels up :P

Credits to jettrider for his screenies and explanations of the daggonath trap and safespot # 3 as well as Ferrariman12, Nightshade53, Zaaps1, Viralaether and Bedman for there bursting and barraging data. Also thanks to all the AOD guys (especially Tyler) who convinced me to write this guide.[/hide]

***Currently I am running a few trips of barrage to finish off 99 mage and gather more data for that section of the guide which is in dire need of it. Look out for an update to it in a couple weeks.

~>~Check Out My Bursting Guide~<~

Current goals - 99 Slayer, 99 Summoning, 85 Dungeoneering

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good guide, although I used the 7 lob spot when I was bursting. Only 210-220 crimson per 1k bursts, but faster, uses less prayer, is much safer (I get hit at the most once every 1k bursts), and requires far less attention. Still, this spot is statistically better. I might try it again when I get the urge to go for 99...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Using ROW gives more crimsons imo. When I slay I use zerker and get less charms compared to using wealth.

Also farseer and ahrims hood have the same bonuses. A god mitre is also good there because it gives a prayer and magic bonus.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Using ROW gives more crimsons imo. When I slay I use zerker and get less charms compared to using wealth.

Also farseer and ahrims hood have the same bonuses. A god mitre is also good there because it gives a prayer and magic bonus.

ROW is great until you die and lose 2 mill in casts, full ahrims and 2 hrs worth of bursting. ROL is a much safer choice and looking at my statistics I doubt the charm rate with ROW is that much better then what I've been getting. God mitre is an interesting idea, never thought of using one will have to test it out.

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

Thanks a lot for the guide, I've been looking for one for a while :) Do you know about how long it takes to do 1 trip/1k bursts? I'd love to know that as well.

Edit: I used your spot, and every time I'm bursting a rock lobster respawns right next to me and attacks me.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

Thanks a lot for the guide, I've been looking for one for a while :) Do you know about how long it takes to do 1 trip/1k bursts? I'd love to know that as well.

Edit: I used your spot, and every time I'm bursting a rock lobster respawns right next to me and attacks me.

That can happen generally I just tank the hits and start praying if my health goes under 65 hp, best way to get around this is to burst in a lower population world anywhere from 800-1200 works best for me. The lobsters still respawn fast enough to lure them again right after you finish burst but not so fast that this problem happens.

The only way you can die there is if you dc or you just suck. With a seers ring I get 150 crims/1k bursts at 7 lob spot on avg, and with ROW I get 200 on avg.

Not at all, a ranged dagannoth with sometimes come get you and if you are on a different browser or aren't paying attention, it's quite easy to die. There is also a glitch with blood burst and ice barrage (possibly other combinations) where your character will sometimes hit the lobs with a staff instead of the autocast spell after manually casting blood burst. Also, if you forget to reset autocast (happens when a dk team comes down and you have to staff-bash to get a lob on you), it's easy to die if you're not paying attention. Also, those numbers are inconsistent; I've heard both sides on whether the ring affects charms, and my current opinion is no, but it wouldn't make a 30 crimson difference.

If everyone read this guide, it would make lobs so much better because all the people who only burst 6 or 7 would go to the other spot, which is safer. The ninth lob CAN be lured to the ladder safespot if you know how to do it.

If you don't mind I'd like to add a few pointers that I think will improve your guide:

-If you want to stay longer, bring prayer armor such as proselyte (max prayer bonus) or veracs (good range defense) and interchange it with ahrims for the lures.

-You can completely eliminate the threat of melee dagannoths by trapping them behind the torch just east of the third most southern rock lobster. This works for ALL safespots. See pic below.

rocklob_howto2f5.PNG

-Another alternate safespot is the one I'm standing in, it works well if you've got a dagannoth north of the bend or are finishing a tank lobster (my term for a rock lobster that refuses to die and lasts 5 spells more than others).

-As a final note, clue scrolls from rock lobsters are level 2s and should be treated as such. :P

Other than that this is a really good guide, if you are thinking about going to lobsters you should read this as to save the spot for people bursting/barraging 9.

2496 Completionist

I appreciate the pointers if you don't mind I'd like to use that screenie in the guide I'll give you credit for it? I mention the whole wearing veracs for the prayer bonus briefly but I need to update the equipment to add proselyte as well. Thanks for the help.

I appreciate the pointers if you don't mind I'd like to use that screenie in the guide I'll give you credit for it? I mention the whole wearing veracs for the prayer bonus briefly but I need to update the equipment to add proselyte as well. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, use of the screeny is fine...I can make a better one soon though.

Didn't see section on veracs, did a ctrl+f and didn't find it either..?

2496 Completionist

Ok, so I'm kinda nooby since I havn't done desert treasure... but what is the required/suggested mage lvl for doing this?

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Ok, so I'm kinda nooby since I havn't done desert treasure... but what is the required/suggested mage lvl for doing this?

You'll need at least 70 magic to cast ice burst...if you wanted to get it a few levels higher, it would help the spell splash less.

I made a much more informative diagram of how to trap the lobsters:

trapping_melee_dags85a.PNG

2496 Completionist

Great guide Andy! :thumbsup:

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

Good guide andy

have you tried barraging?

No can't say I have, wanted too but I don't think the extra cost for the spells covers the time saved casting barrage. Just my opinion, plus I've already bought the bursting casts for 88 summoning so i might as well finish those out.

I prefer using the safe spot jett showed when doing 9

I don't like the one respawning before im done

Most of the time i just do 7 because i don't like being hit, ring of lifed over 5 times there due to disconnecting

Comes out to like 200 crimsons per 1k bursts and 280 per 1k barrage when doing 7 lobs, a 40% increase in charms with 1k spells, more charms an hour

So barraging isn't too much more expensive, you're just paying like 10% more a charm and getting at a faster rate

What?

m_theory11.png

I prefer using the safe spot jett showed when doing 9

I don't like the one respawning before im done

Most of the time i just do 7 because i don't like being hit, ring of lifed over 5 times there due to disconnecting

Comes out to like 200 crimsons per 1k bursts and 280 per 1k barrage when doing 7 lobs, a 40% increase in charms with 1k spells, more charms an hour

So barraging isn't too much more expensive, you're just paying like 10% more a charm and getting at a faster rate

If you're doing only 6-7 lobs...why don't you go past the DK lair to the other spot which has a room of nothing but 7 rock lobsters? During all my time rock lobbing in the 9 spot it's been very busy, yet there is always an open world in that room. There are no melee or ranged dagannoths to worry about and getting the lobs from the safespot is faster.

So why do you use the spot where people accept danger to get 9, and waste the potential charm collecting of that world? Just go past the DK ladder and up a few ladders and you'll have the spot of your dreams, 7 lobsters and no other monsters to attack you.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It absolutely kills me inside when I see people killing only 6 or 7 lobsters in this 9 spot. The only reasons they do it are:

1) They don't know how to get the 9th lobster to stay on them (aka, read a guide)

2) They want to stay safe

So if it's #1, just read this guide...if it's #2, just go to the other spot.

2496 Completionist

Great guide but I just wonder have you actually thought using familiars there? Maybe some of the following things might be useful?

Smoke devil scroll: Dust cloud, inflicts up to 8 damage on up to 6 adjacent opponents. GE-price per scroll: 234gp.

Giant ent scroll: Acorn missile, inflicts up to 17 damage on up to 3 opponents. GE-price for scroll: 303gp

Forge regent: Right-click Fireball - flaming attack that hits up to 6 enemies for up to 5 damage each. (No scrolls required, so cheap extra damage).

Swamp Titan's scroll: Swamp Plague, area effect Magic attack that can poison your enemies. GE-price for scroll: 357gp.

Great guide but I just wonder have you actually thought using familiars there? Maybe some of the following things might be useful?

Smoke devil scroll: Dust cloud, inflicts up to 8 damage on up to 6 adjacent opponents. GE-price per scroll: 234gp.

Giant ent scroll: Acorn missile, inflicts up to 17 damage on up to 3 opponents. GE-price for scroll: 303gp

Forge regent: Right-click Fireball - flaming attack that hits up to 6 enemies for up to 5 damage each. (No scrolls required, so cheap extra damage).

Swamp Titan's scroll: Swamp Plague, area effect Magic attack that can poison your enemies. GE-price for scroll: 357gp.

Not a bad idea but I have a few concerns the summon might pull the lobs out of the safe spot and that could get quite messy, also the summon only attacking 3-6 lobs at a time would kill the lobs at different times and would have you wasting casts on 1-3 lobs after those 6 are dead. If I was to use a summon it would most likely be bunyip with scrolls so i could eat the raw lobs dropped by the rock lobsters. The only reason I don't is the fact that trips last over 3 hours which would mean i would need like 5 pouches and that severely cuts back on the amount of prayer potions you can take. Not a terrible idea though might try it sometime.

If you're doing only 6-7 lobs...why don't you go past the DK lair to the other spot which has a room of nothing but 7 rock lobsters? During all my time rock lobbing in the 9 spot it's been very busy, yet there is always an open world in that room. There are no melee or ranged dagannoths to worry about and getting the lobs from the safespot is faster.

So why do you use the spot where people accept danger to get 9, and waste the potential charm collecting of that world? Just go past the DK ladder and up a few ladders and you'll have the spot of your dreams, 7 lobsters and no other monsters to attack you.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. It absolutely kills me inside when I see people killing only 6 or 7 lobsters in this 9 spot. The only reasons they do it are:

1) They don't know how to get the 9th lobster to stay on them (aka, read a guide)

it kills me when people tell others where they can and can't train because it's inconvenient for them. :lol:

the other spot you have the factor that one of the lobsters will stop chasing you because you got out of their range. more clicks too

Kaizoku

it kills me when people tell others where they can and can't train because it's inconvenient for them. :lol:

the other spot you have the factor that one of the lobsters will stop chasing you because you got out of their range. more clicks too

The second spot, I'll term it, compared to the first spot at the final rest spot ladder. In spot 2, doing 6 lobs is actually faster charms than 7. You're right, 7 takes more clicks. But doing 6 instead of 7 at the first spot also saves some danger. The only reason you would do 7 is because you wanted more exp/burst and charms/burst without caring about time. In that case, then why not do 9 in the first spot? It is much more efficient yet about as fast as 6 lobs in the second spot.

More clicks too? Are you kidding? It's half a dozen clicks tops for the second spot (6 lobsters); 9 lobsters is a clickfest involving trapping dagannoths, and navigating to exact squares.

And your first comment I will address last. You think I am telling you to move to a different spot because it means one more world for me - no. I would be perfectly happy to hop for ANYONE at the lobster spot there already (even though I barrage) when they do 9 lobsters. When I see people doing 6-7 (yes, you can tell), I hop also, but I leave them a little message behind asking why they are doing that. I have yet to see a legitimate reason for bursting 6 or 7 lobsters at the first spot. It is more dangerous and supply-intensive to the person doing it, and very annoying to the people who do 9 there.

Most people who do that are only doing it because of misconceptions they have. It IS possible to get all 9 at the ladder safespot getting the one west of the ladder last. You can also change your safespot. Some people just say they don't want to risk the dagannoths and wallasalki near the 7th, 8th, and 9th lobsters. To that I answer, then why not burst the same amount in a much safer room with faster lures? And finally, some people are just really confused about it all and say stuff like "Don't tell me where to train." We're just trying to make everyone happy and help you, that's what this guide is for.

2496 Completionist

Nice guide!!! I think I'm gonna use this to try getting higher summoning.

There is one thing I noticed though in the calculation of how much each crimson charm costs, you did not include the cost of the prayer potions. I'm not sure how much this affects the cost of the charms, but I thought I bring that up.

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting familiars are really distracting when luring, i don't suggest them after expirementing (or in fact i used just terrorbird for energyrestoring and extra prayer pots) :P

But one thing i wonder.. why to lure those meleedagannoths to stuck when you can easily kill them too in your main bursting spot. It works for them as well and give you more xp per spell.