is Grammar Really important?

pennywise

@Fenrir: There are situations when sentences like that actually make literal sense. For example: "Your point makes no sense." Rearrange a few words in that, and you get, "Sense your point makes no." It's still using proper grammar, nothing is out of place or misused.

That wasn't one of my best examples :oops: :wall:

That flower growing in the patio is very beautiful. I should give that to my boyfriend.

It rises and certain is beautiful very but you are brought up at the terrace. I should give that to my boyfriend.

That's a better one but it's translation to english, and therefore not Japanese grammar.

Latin grammar is MUCH harder because the position of the verb changes last or first depending if it's an action or linking verb, respectively. Adjectives always go as close to the described noun or pronoun, unless there is another adjective describing the adjacent noun or pronoun. An adjective clause starting with who or which (but not a question) goes in between the subject and the direct object/predicate nominative. What's worse, latin has no comprehension of "THAT".

The whip dangling from his right hand attacks at great speed.

The whip to dangle from his right hand attacks at great speed.

IT GETS A LOT HARDER, TRUST ME.

third year in Latin this semester \' :thumbsup: ::'

And you can't use an adjective after an action verb #-o

"Sense your point make none" is correct grammar 8-)

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's worse, latin has no comprehension of "THAT".

Uh, "ille"?

I do find it strange though that you study/know the exact same three languages as me...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

While at the time, yes grammar is important. However I personally don't regard it as needed or useful. The English language changes to whatever is eaiest. Which is why, every year they make an English literature textbook, it is already "outdated" by the time it is published. We'll all be writing txts in 20 years. :/

hopesolopatriot.jpg

let me give you an example of bad spelling, and lack of punction scarring me for life.

although.. it was more of the spelling that freaked me.. i was rofling so bad....

I luv u sweaty, your my sweatheert

Capitalization is fun, and another reason why grammar is needed:

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse.

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

:lol:

Ahaha. Abyssal. You made my day. And usually you don't.

Right, since short texts have more of a chance of being absorbed down here:

Grammar =/= Spelling

Spelling = a set of rules a language community makes concerning the orthography of words. Spelling is imposed on a language. First came the spoken language, then the rules for spelling. Because of this, linguists don't attach a lot of importance to spelling mistakes. A lot of languages don't even get to the stage of being written down.

Grammar = the implicit rules concerning the mechanism of a language, extending to morphology, syntax and semantics. Grammar is inherent to a language. It was there before the rules were made explicit by linguists.

It's a common Internet thing to take people down on account of their spelling and accuse them of bad grammar, but in fact, you are the dumb donkey for doing that.

Oh and I think Latin is easy. The Romans were very logical, straightforward and a little unimaginative, making Latin an easy language to learn. Just a question of learning the rules by heart. Ancient Greek on the other hand...

In this case, you can find no better description of me than "grammar fascist".

If someone has an accident misspelling or misplacing once in a while, I can tolerate that, but if someone puts something on a forum without reading through it at all, as if they are afraid the internet will crash before their message is posted, I could not take them serious at all. You know how to solve global warming? wel cuz u typ lyk diz i wunt tak u srius lul

But correct grammars are not important, you get the point anyways!

Oh, really? There are no rules in incorrect grammar, people can just make up any abbreviation they like, which can suddenly kill the meaning. Better safe than sorry. Can you take some meaning out of this phrase?

"y ppl say if u it otr ppls mail ur sik cuz ur not lol"

And I am sure you have all heard about this before:

"Hang him do not, wait until I have arrived."

"Hang him, do not wait until I have arrived."

An innocent person died because of a misplaced comma! :ohnoes:

We may not be in an English classroom now, but please show that you have been in one. :shame:

6dv9t4.png

Filesharer.org - Upload your mugshot to support The Pirate Bay!

What's worse, latin has no comprehension of "THAT".

Uh, "ille"?

I do find it strange though that you study/know the exact same three languages as me...

yeah...lol...iste, ista, etc?

It has no word for "the" either, but I feel like the Roman empire got along just fine using Latin for quite a while. Latin grammar is much better than English though; much more organized, even if it lacks some of the words we have

If someone has an accident misspelling or misplacing once in a while, I can tolerate that, but if someone puts something on a forum without reading through it at all, as if they are afraid the internet will crash before their message is posted, I could not take them serious at all. You know how to solve global warming? wel cuz u typ lyk diz i wunt tak u srius lul

That's pretty much what I think, too. There is no excuse for lazy typing. A typo here or there is no big deal, but when you type in internet shorthand all the time, that draws the line. Not only is it hard to read for normal people, it also makes you look incredibly stupid and does not make people want to read what was typed, much less take it seriously.

I feel like someone *cough* The Champ*cough* *cough*JBLrule*cough* will make a thread similiar to this one saying "Iz zpellings realliz Important"

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

I believe grammar is imporant. It's just my personal opinion that proper grammar shows a level of intelligence and most people should have. But also, this is the internet, and the internet is far from person.

If you can at least understand the person and they're not being a total idiot about it, then the use of improper grammar to a slight extent is okay.

It just goes to show that, though there's an age requirement, there's no IQ requirement to play RS.

kule2000rf7.jpg

Wait, my friend said he got a keylogger and lyke he coudln't type, so I assumed it messed up his hands?