Man Stabbed & Beheaded on Manitoba Greyhound Bus by Stranger

Dexek

*Warning the following is very graphic*

BRANDON, Man. -- Screaming passengers fled in terror from a Greyhound bus as an unidentified fellow passenger suddenly stabbed a man sleeping next to him, decapitated him and waved the severed head at horrified witnesses standing outside.

The apparently unprovoked assault left 36 men, women and children stranded Wednesday night on the shoulder of the darkening Trans-Canada Highway near Portage la Prairie, Man., about 85 kilometres west of Winnipeg, watching while the bus driver and a driver of a nearby truck shut the crazed attacker inside the bus with the mangled victim. Reports Friday said the suspect tried to eat parts of the victim.

At a media conference Thursday afternoon, RCMP confirmed they have a suspect -- who is not believed to be from Manitoba -- in custody, but offered few new details about this baffling homicide. The suspect, a man in his 40s, is expected to be formally charged today.

"By the time the police arrived, the driver and the remaining passengers had all safely exited the bus," said Sgt. Steve Colwell.

He said officers could see the man walking around inside the bus, but said he refused to exit. The standoff lasted for hours.

"At 1:28 a.m., the suspect . . . attempted to jump out of the bus after breaking a window. He was immediately subdued and arrested without incident and is currently in RCMP custody," Sgt. Colwell said.

The victim's name has not been released but a number of tribute groups on the social networking Web site Facebook identified him as 22-year-old Tim McLean, a carnival worker from Winnipeg.

The Facebook group posted early Friday entitled R.I.P. Tim McLean lamented the young man's death.

"R.I.P Tim McLean, You are loved and you will be missed dearly!" the site description read.

McLean's father, Tim McLean Sr., told CBC News on Thursday night that he was in the process of trying to get confirmation from the police that his son was, in fact, the victim of attack.

Witness Garnet Caton said the attack was unprovoked.

"The guy just took a knife out and stabbed him, started stabbing him like crazy and cut his head off," said Mr. Caton, 26, a passenger on the Edmonton-to-Winnipeg bus.

"Some people were puking, some people were crying, other people were in shock. . . . Everybody was running, screaming off the bus."

Mr. Caton said the attacker was only on the bus for a brief time, after boarding in western Manitoba.

Passenger Cody Olmstead said he had been watching a movie on the bus just before the attack began.

"We were watching Zorro; next thing I know, I hear someone screaming."

Mr. Olmstead, 21, told reporters he had smoked a cigarette earlier in the trip with the victim, who got on the bus in Edmonton.

He said the victim said he was going to Winnipeg.

After the bus pulled over and the terrified passengers fled, Mr. Olmstead said the attacker was taunting those outside with the victim's severed head.

"He came back, standing in the doorway with the head, looked at him, dropped the head and went back and started cutting buddy back up."

He said when police showed up, the taunting continued.

"He come up and picks the head up and he's waving it in the window. I just smoked a cigarette with this man earlier -- like, the head. He's shaking it back and forth in the window."

Mr. Caton said he and other passengers prevented the attacker from getting off the blood-soaked bus by threatening him with makeshift weapons -- a hammer and a crowbar.

"We were telling him, Stay put, stay put, stay there, don't try to come out.' He tried to get the bus working and the bus driver disabled the bus somehow in the back. I'm not sure how he did it, and at that point, I think the police showed up," he said, adding officers rushed them away.

Mr. Caton and other passengers said the attacker and his victim, who was listening to music on headphones, were sitting together at the rear of the bus, and the attack appeared to be unprovoked; no words were exchanged.

He told a TV station the attacker had actually changed seats to sit next to his victim just before the killing.

Mr. Caton described the man who attacked the passenger as bald and wearing sunglasses. He seemed oblivious to others when the stabbing occurred, said Mr. Caton, adding he was struck by how calm the man was.

"There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy," he said.

Mr. Caton said the victim boarded in Edmonton, was wearing hip-hop clothing and appeared to be around 20 years of age.

After the killing, the other passengers were later taken to Brandon, Man., to be interviewed by police and to stay overnight at a hotel there.

Crisis counsellors were also at the hotel to provide support to the passengers, and counsellors could be seen chatting with them outside the hotel as groups went out to local stores for snacks or to smoke cigarettes.

One small boy, who was with an adult man and woman, was given a plush teddy bear by a crisis health worker.

"The first thing I heard was something like a terrible type [of] yowl, and that was from the guy who got stabbed," said an elderly woman on the bus, from Winnipeg.

The woman and her adult daughter said they were three or four rows in front of the man when the attack began.

"[My daughter said] Oh my God,' and everybody else started screaming," she said. "They had terror in their eyes."

Two other passengers on the bus, a 22-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman from France, said they were heading to Winnipeg after visiting the woman's father in Whitehorse. The 22-year-old man said in French that he saw a man holding a long knife repeatedly stab another passenger. He and his girlfriend said they were shocked by the attack, and the isolation in the middle of the prairie when it occurred.

"There was nowhere to go," she said.

Speaking in Quebec City, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the issue of safety on buses may need to be examined more closely once the legal process of this case is over.

"We're never closed to looking at how Canadians can be more safe and more secure," Mr. Day told reporters in Quebec on Thursday. "This particular incident, as horrific as it is, is obviously extremely rare."

Greyhound spokesman Eric Wesley, speaking from Texas, said drivers are trained to get help as soon as they can when incidents occur.

"This is very rare, unique occurrence. Bus transportation is one of the safest modes of transportation. This is highly unique that something like this happened," he said. "Our drivers are trained to provide the safest travel for all our passengers, and every time an incident occurs, they know to pull the bus over and call 911."

Mr. Wesley said counselling will be provided and monetary compensation will be determined on an individual basis.

"We are going to do whatever we need to provide the passengers with counselling or any other measures to make sure they're taken care of."

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=692762

I have seen a variety of stories about this on the local news, and am very surprised that something so out of the ordinary would happen in a relatively quiet area such as this, and on a bus at that. I am interested to see the views and opinions of others on this matter.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just read about this on digg.

the "negotiations" should have began with an offer of a 9mm round to the chest. who the hell negotiates with a person like that? especially when he is alone on an empty bus.

Oh I read about that in The Guardian. I was quite suprised when all the authorities had to say was that 'bus travel remains one of the safest ways of travel, and this is obviously a rareity'.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

People need to stop complaining that he should die. He'll get the chair for sure, it just will take a while. It's not an overnight decision to execute someome like it was in the 1800's.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

People need to stop complaining that he should die. He'll get the chair for sure, it just will take a while. It's not an overnight decision to execute someome like it was in the 1800's.

You're clearly not familiar with Canadian law.

summerpngwy6.jpg

ya i read about this yesterday, sick [wagon] guy.... this guy shouldnt even be put to trial. he just die a horrible painful death

You're basically telling all of us you have his mind-set then if you think he should die a horrible, painful death.

Throw him in a containment cell, isolated. =P

Thats just sick, and whats more sick is that he might get sent to a insane insilum(sp?, you know a crazy home), because he attacked with no motive or feelings, he's basiclly crazy.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

ya i read about this yesterday, sick [wagon] guy.... this guy shouldnt even be put to trial. he just die a horrible painful death

You're basically telling all of us you have his mind-set then if you think he should die a horrible, painful death.

nope im just sayin the case should be taken as an eye for an eye, meaning in this case he deserves just as gruesome of a death as he gave an innocent person

and you can go **** yourself for sayin i have his mindset. his mindset is killin a random innocent person which i would never do

nope im just sayin the case should be taken as an eye for an eye, meaning in this case he deserves just as gruesome of a death as he gave an innocent person

and you can go **** yourself for sayin i have his mindset. his mindset is killin a random innocent person which i would never do

Mmm. I'm not going to argue with you. Seriously.

I don't agree with the death-penalty, so that's my case. I'm very liberal.

Really sick guy...

If i was the police or something i would trow him to a very deep and dark hole and dont give him food and only water.

Then they say ''it wasen't my fault i dont eat my medicine'' :?

abc_king11.png

Max_P0w3r2.png

Really sick guy...

If i was the police or something i would trow him to a very deep and dark hole and dont give him food and only water.

Then they say ''it wasen't my fault i dont eat my medicine'' :?

That's what I'm saying, he could get off easy by saying he's crazy!

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I believe in the death penalty. Not like we even know if there's peace when we die. For all we know it's worse. But I don't believe in "humane" death penalties. If they did something terrible enough to have their lives taken away, it shouldn't be in a peaceful way. I think covering them with hunny and sending winnie the poo after them would suffice. Good entertainment if they televised it.

Yes, I am a fan of the Romans.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Anyway, I heard about this yesterday. It's pretty sick. I can only imagine what the other people on the bus went through. The killer must have a screw loose or something, surely. Killing people without any emotional response just isn't human.

Am I the only one wondering what the hell he was using to decapitate the guy? Sounds like it must have been quick. Did it say the weapon? I didn't see it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Am I the only one wondering what the hell he was using to decapitate the guy? Sounds like it must have been quick. Did it say the weapon? I didn't see it.

All it said was that he stabbed and then decapitated the guy . . . I wonder how big of a knife he had on him to cut sombody's head off with it. Must have been difficult. And messy.

p2gq.jpg

All it said was that he stabbed and then decapitated the guy . . . I wonder how big of a knife he had on him to cut sombody's head off with it. Must have been difficult. And messy.

I saw on CNN that he had "a large knife" so it must've been 6 inches at least. definitely not a pocket knife if you are chopping a guy's head off

Just because its a news thread doesn't mean theres nothing to discuss, so whats wrong with it?

Or maybe we should have a subforum for news threads.

Anyway thats pretty sick, he really should be put in isolation for the rest of his life or at least killed very slowly and painfully....Deserves it really.

But idk what Canada law is...I didn't know it was even in Canada till I read a post :P

Doomy edit: I like sheep