Today...

Leoo

You can't even really call it a spoiler.

Everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't going to stay dead.

I mean, true, and they basically spoiled it themselves in the several months prior to the release. Considering how nobody would stop talking about it then, I can't imagine they would do so now.

That feeling of surprise is pretty fun though, at least if the work is actually worth it. A well-written twist will still have an impact even if you know it's coming, but it could maybe have more of one if you've really immersed yourself into trying to figure out what happens next.

Just imagine all of those people, day of release in theatres, going to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.... And the guy directing you to the screen room just says "Enjoy the show! And Darth Vader is Luke's Father!"

Imagine how much less enjoyable the whole movie would have been.

Spoilers *can* ruin the whole show/movie/book if they are big enough, but spoiling something trivial and overall not that important isn't a big deal.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Just imagine all of those people, day of release in theatres, going to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.... And the guy directing you to the screen room just says "Enjoy the show! And Darth Vader is Luke's Father!"

Imagine how much less enjoyable the whole movie would have been.

Spoilers *can* ruin the whole show/movie/book if they are big enough, but spoiling something trivial and overall not that important isn't a big deal.

That would imply that seeing Vader announce that he's Luke's father is the *only* reason to see the movie. That's one scene in a 2 hour long movie. Are you not at all interested in the buildup to that scene? Or the characters' reactions to the announcement? Or where the director decides to take the movie after that's been revealed?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Ehh... Nothing really happens in Empire outside of interaction with Yoda/Vader.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Yeah, as someone who knew all the original trilogy big twists before seeing the movies it didn't bother me at all. Probably would have been more dramatic, but overall no change.

I also had TFA spoiled for me with the news of the untimely death and that didn't effect the movie much as I still didn't know when, where, or why that happened.

• Like 1

haven't been posting much this week but as of Saturday I am a college graduate~~~ It's been a hell of a week, I've gone out 10 of the last 11 days but it's been super hard saying goodbyes to so many people. The hardest one was one of my roommates of 3 years leaving this morning.

today i'm stuck here waiting for a melee tournament so i can grab a power cord from a friend and i just do not know what to do with myself in the meantime lol, its 3 pm here and I still have yet to get off the couch

• Like 1

I have literally never heard a game of thrones spoiler, despite all the stupid hype about spoilers. And like, yeah, I don't watch the show, so maybe they're flying over my head, but it seems like if these spoilers were so prevalent that I would have at least seen one over the course the six millennia that show has been running.

Try watching something like the movie Time Lapse. It's one of those movies that, if I had known how it ended, I don't think I would have bothered watching it at all, and I might never watch the movie again, because not knowing exactly what is going on is a huge part of how the story is told.

For a lot of stories, I don't think it matters, and for some it probably even makes it better. Like, I normally self spoil parts of TV shows because sometimes I recognize that answers are going to be a long time coming, and watching events come together can be more entertaining that watching the journey of discovery. I think the Vader example is a good one too, because it puts the fight between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor in an entirely new context, it changes the entire story, and you don't get the same impact if you get that information in spoiler form, and you don't get to enjoy the first story, the one that exists before the reveal. You only ever get the second story, the one with all the context filled in.

From my standpoint, if a work can only be properly enjoyed this first time, it's a gimmick and the work itself most probably isn't worth any time investment to begin within.

Good works remain rewarding upon repeated readings or viewings or hearings or what-have-you. Bad works don't.

(And I knew the general plot-line to Star Wars before I watched it in full for the first time a few years ago. It was still enjoyable. Would it have been more enjoyable for the first viewing...? Maybe, but I feel that's a pointless metric.)

ozXHe7P.png

No matter the quality of the work, there's a huge difference between a first viewing and a second and a tenth. When you come back to a work, you're viewing everything that happened in a different light with different goals. If you know what's going to happen, it no longer is a situation of suspense where you wonder if the heroes will make it and how, but a situation of reflection on how these events impacted the future.

So a spoiler, a truly big spoiler that matters, is gonna be something that changes that first viewing to be like a second viewing. It'll ruin the "will they" or the "how". And I think you're wrong to claim that any work which relies on suspense to tell it's story is somehow gimmicky. Suspense and intrigue are vital parts of story telling.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

There is one person who can tell you exactly what is going to happen and yet leave you completely terrified, and that would be Edgar Allan Poe.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

On my way to the airport in about 45 minutes.

My heart's beating pretty fast, first time ever flying completely on my own (no family, no friends) let's do this!

So much for your immigration plan of "oops, I missed my plane". :lol:

Have a good flight and watch out for gremlins. :P

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Spoilers don't bother me that much, but I certainly prefer to watch the plot unfold as the writer, producer and director intended with virgin knowledge.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Had a really rough weekend. Helped organize a party for over 460 people.

Have slept maybe 8 hours total over the past 4 days.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Have not been able to play video games in like 2 weeks due to work, being sick and passover- and now that I'm playing again I'm just mad because I suck. What is life

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I think having always lived on the west coast there has always been a struggle with using the internet when it comes to spoilers. It's not that I think spoilers are the end of the world, but there is this 3 hour window of high alert where you have to be cautious of where you look on the internet or you'll have the simplest but broad plot points revealed or completely spoiled before a show is broadcasted on the west coast.

At about 6PM sharp yesterday I had already seen my twitter feed flooded with headlines like "Jon Snow's fate revealed" which doesn't say much about the story but it let me know that a major, highly anticipated plot point is going to finally be answered in this episode which took a little sparkly out of the big moment. 

So when I found myself discussing the episode today with my coworkers I was more interested in everything else that happened in the episode then with the big, worst keep secret in the history of the show, moment. 

Also all the major players featured so far this season are like boarder the line between super hero/villain and gods. 

• Like 1
tFtfA.jpg

Today, a friend of mine was found dead.

Turns out, I was one of the last people to have spoken to her.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

OMG Saq, I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences.  :(

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...