Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56821 replies to this topic

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

The first thing I did in GTA5 today was kill a hooker. It was like christening a ship for it's maiden voyage. I teared up a little. 

There was a huge debate on the radio yesterday about that (specifically in GTA4) and how that kind of thing is corrupting the youth of today, with only minor mention of how it's rated M and should only be sold to adults an absolutely no mention of violence in movies (like Saw) or TV (like Criminal Minds).

I saw it as just one more example of how people raised in the 60's are horribly out of touch with today's society.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

There was a huge debate on the radio yesterday about that (specifically in GTA4) and how that kind of thing is corrupting the youth of today, with only minor mention of how it's rated M and should only be sold to adults an absolutely no mention of violence in movies (like Saw) or TV (like Criminal Minds).

If a game had half the violence of Criminal Minds, it'd probably get slapped with an AO rating as soon as it was announced.

They do have a tiny sliver of a point behind all of the fearmongering, though. There's a bit of a difference between watching someone act out violence and being the one to act out violence. Even then, I'm not sure how much violence and 'corruption' has actually been caused by that kind of thing. By the time you can play the game, you know better.

Alternatively, if you're surprised that there are crimes in a franchise called "Grand Theft Auto"...

If you need me, I'm going to keep taking the 'good' route in games, in the hope that a similar effect makes me a hero in real life.

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,815 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

They do have a tiny sliver of a point behind all of the fearmongering, though. There's a bit of a difference between watching someone act out violence and being the one to act out violence. Even then, I'm not sure how much violence and 'corruption' has actually been caused by that kind of thing. By the time you can play the game, you know better.

You may have a tiny sliver of a point, but there's a bit of a difference between pushing buttons to cause a game character to act out violence and being the one to act out violence.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

You may have a tiny sliver of a point, but there's a bit of a difference between pushing buttons to cause a game character to act out violence and being the one to act out violence.

Which is part of the point I was trying to make, with the rest being about how the mediums are different. It's like comparing a book (imagination) to a movie. :razz:

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

The problem with the video game violence debate is that the people who are still having it, aren't reading any of the research.

Posted Image

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly

I can see a point to it for certain age groups, since the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy is not an ability people are born with, it develops later in life. That could be a legitimate problem in some cases I think. On the other hand, I know that past that point, there is also research which suggest that perhaps it acts as a pressure relief, that because humans are inherently lazy (not wasting energy is a crucial step in your species continued existence), reality escapes can satisfy the urges of people who would otherwise have to deal with their desires by breaking the law.

It does seem to roll both ways though. An example in the other direction is that it's been shown that, for males, playing a racing game and then getting in a real car makes you an objectively worse driver, who is now sort of driving like they are still in a racing game. 

It's not a clear cut issue.

GTA 5 was enough to make me go back and check exactly what the M rating meant (I was apparently thinking Teen). I'm actually still surprised that a game that glorifies weed (and it totally does) managed to score only an M.

b6brc9.jpg

Ruinous Edge
[ Display Name History ]

Ruinous Edge

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

all to be said about today...IoS7!! downloading as I type

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

Posted Image

http://www.transformersuniverse.com

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,815 posts

Hasn't IOS 15 been out for a while now?

(not a Cisco guy)

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Ruinous Edge
[ Display Name History ]

Ruinous Edge

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 519 posts

Hasn't IOS 15 been out for a while now?

(not a Cisco guy)

Iphone Operating system 7 ^^

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

Posted Image

http://www.transformersuniverse.com

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,815 posts
Oh, carry on.

(not an Apple guy)

rnHJQwZ.png

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit

Why pick a mac for exactly the same hardware you'd get for half the price with the competition if you're going to use Linux on it?

Because, here at least, the cost difference isn't much for similar hardware. You also get a nicer build quality and support, in the retail market at least.

The first thing I did in GTA5 today was kill a hooker. It was like christening a ship for it's maiden voyage. I teared up a little. 

I saw it as just one more example of how people raised in the 60's are horribly out of touch with today's society.

The real problem is that the only person not responsible for the violent actions your kid does seems to be your kid. Oh, and you, because there is no way you could ever be bad at parenting. If it's not your kid, it's entirely their fault.

Both of which are not always correct, when it's been found in at least one case a brain tumour caused a man to become a paedophile. Who knows what else has been committed by someone influenced by tumours and other growths in the brain.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,151 posts
Seeing XXYYXX in a couple hours. Got my Real Friends ticket in the mail today. Got free pizza.

Today's not bad at all. (Still debating GTA5 as I've never played a gta game for more than 30 hours total)
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

constrictor
[ Display Name History ]

constrictor

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 549 posts
  • RSN:Accia
Personally have never been able to really enjoy GTA games, they (like other similar games like Farcry, Skyrim, etc.) are just too large for me to enjoy by myself. If they were to become MMO's I'd love them to be honest.

Nekyia
[ Display Name History ]

Nekyia

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • RSN:Nekyia

I don't have much of an opinion on the computer debate.  With my luck everything seems to break anyways :P

The best being when I accidentally put a cat through my alienware.  I think that laptop was fine up until that point though :lol:

Here's a picture of it.  The tape is from when I tried (and failed) to use tape to keep it together.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

I don't really know if I'd say GTA5 glorifies weed, but maybe you're farther along then I am, but the the only real drug moment is when Michael is have some crazy hallucination where you have to kill aliens. Otherwise in my opinion, weed has been casually referenced similar to other mediums. 

Posted Image

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
Isn't the whole thing meant to be a satire of the American criminal underworld? If it glorifies weed in that context, it would be sardonic, surely.

Only a moron would suggest GTA:V is like "Smoke weed e'eryday".

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
was gta ever satire? it mostly plays all its cliches pretty straight, its just funny/absurd while it does it.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555

Isn't the whole thing meant to be a satire of the American criminal underworld? If it glorifies weed in that context, it would be sardonic, surely.

Only a moron would suggest GTA:V is like "Smoke weed e'eryday".

420 blaze it

I woke up with the expectation of having a shit day since it's a Wednesday. I've had a fantastic day.

Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

The best being when I accidentally put a cat through my alienware.

I...what?

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

My favourite new thing to do in GTA is run around with a hammer smashing bus stops and parked cars and pretending it's '92.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users