Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

57022 replies to this topic

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555

My girlfriend got scammed on her lease so now she's homeless for 48 hours and out something like $950. The landlord has until Saturday to get his shit together legally, but there's gonna be so many pressed charges otherwise, and subsequently my girlfriend will be moving in with her mom and brother. What a day

How did she get scammed?

Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Put scales underneath the seats and charge proportionately to that. Multiply ticket price by weight/100 lbs

it's not just weight though, for example many muscular guys would be quite heavy but still manage to fit into one seat.

If they wanted to do it, it should be done by waist measurement.

Anyway, it will happen eventually. More cases like this one will happen, airlines will get fed up, and start requiring waist measurements for flight tickets.

At that point, an obese person whose feelings have been hurt will take them to court. Eventually, the airlines will win the case and this will become the norm, at least until the percentage of obesity in the population goes down.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Put scales underneath the seats and charge proportionately to that. Multiply ticket price by weight/100 lbs

What about those people that are like 7' tall?

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Honestly it's a dilemma that I don't think is going to resolve itself nicely.  Personally, I think someone who's obese should know to make accommodations for themselves when they fly, at the very least for their own comfort (either two seats or a first class ticket).  I would be surprised if airlines take an official stance on it any time soon.

I don't think it would really even be possible to enforce a weight or waist size limit.  If someone buys one seat and is obese, I don't see them breaking out the measuring tape and stopping them from boarding if they exceed the limit.  The amount of hassle over trying to enforce a rule like that is definitely not worth it.  I'm sure they have analysts who have done the math: it would cost more to implement a policy and enforce it (and deal with the lawsuits over it) than it would to deal with the occasional lawsuit regarding discomfort and the potential safety hazard.

It's all a numbers game and it just doesn't make financial sense to implement a policy.  Discrimination lawsuits are more common and have more precedence than "I had to sit next to a fat guy" lawsuits. 

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic

First time backpacking ever and 5 days?

Gonna be rough. You got proper shoes? The most important things are proper shoes and a proper backpack.

Also, any in your company has earlier experience?

Posted Image

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

Here's the solution to the obese passenger dilemma:

Ask yourself: what are the odds that you will be forced to sit next to someone so obese that they occupy more than one seat on your next flight? Would you bet money that your next flight will be next to an obese passenger?

If the answer is no, and you somehow get put into that position, the solution is to bite your tongue, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and remind yourself that you get to experience the miracle of flight and you get to soar through the heavens at 500 mph to get across the country in less than a day. Imagine [bleep]ing about this to your ancestors who had to go on these grueling expeditions for months at a time, and half of their friends and family died along the way! Lol they'd probably be like, "Ok so you're telling me you had to be uncomfortable for a few hours and now your life has been ruined? Gotcha."

If the answer is yes, then you arrange your flight in such a way that you minimize the odds of that happening. You use a different company that allows you to choose your seat or you get out of economy. This is where you say, "What?! But I shouldn't have to do that! That's not fair!" Tough shit. You do have to do that. And it's really not that big of a deal.

77yLQy8.png

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts

Gonna be rough. You got proper shoes? The most important things are proper shoes and a proper backpack.

I've got two pairs of hiking boots, plus my doc martens.  Probably not going to wear the doc's even though they're super comfy and I wear them pretty much every day. They just aren't the same amount of support and grip, so I'll pick one of the other pairs.  As for a pack, I have an old one aluminum frame one that's not in amazing shape but should be good enough. I'm going with my friend who's done a couple several day backpacking trips.  It's just the two of us though, so we're going to try to go as light as possible I think.  But splitting the required gear between only two people is probably going to be tough.

We should be sticking to less than 10 miles (15km) a day.  It's fairly steep terrain at parts though.  Worst case we'll just ditch early or reduce miles per day.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic

Doc Martens ain't no hiking boots.

And why the heck should you have 2 pairs of hiking boots? Even I have only one pair. Most important thing about hiking boots, at least in the mountains, is to have pretty much rock-hard soles. You'll know after having been through 5-6 pairs of hiking boots (I think 2 pairs I grew out of and 3 pairs have simply fallen apart).

Warm underwear is a life saver on hiking trips. Most universal clothing I have.

Splitting the gear between two ain't that tough. But it is a lot about what you bring along, and whether you have to carry clean water with you or you can just refill anywhere, like I have done so in Norway and Estonia.

I plan on going to Iceland for 12 days with a mate, living out of a backpack pretty much. But then again I have a lot of experience and pretty high-end, reliable and tested equipment.

Posted Image

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts

it's not just weight though, for example many muscular guys would be quite heavy but still manage to fit into one seat.

Anyway, it will happen eventually. More cases like this one will happen, airlines will get fed up, and start requiring waist measurements for flight tickets.

At that point, an obese person whose feelings have been hurt will take them to court. Eventually, the airlines will win the case and this will become the norm, at least until the percentage of obesity in the population goes down.
Obese people aren't a protected class. Airplanes can discriminate by weight as much as they want and there's nothing that fat people can do about it.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts
@gabe

She was told that the house was going to be painted and patched 2 weeks prior to move in date, which was this past Thursday but when she showed up with all her furniture and clothes and what not with her roommates, the plan was stripped and gutted with rat shit everywhere and a drunk dude that was theoretically "painting".

But as an update today since the landlord has been getting threatened by a total of some dozen people by now; most repairs and maintenance have been achieved. Inspection is in about 12 hours as I post this so if its up to snuff it'll all work out. Thankfully my girlfriends old landlord was baller and let her and her 3 roommates stay an extra couple days while it got sorted.

Fat people ride planes. Get over it.(but personally being only 135lbs with a 30" waist I wouldn't mind the alternate pricing method for flying)
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

I've got two pairs of hiking boots, plus my doc martens.  Probably not going to wear the doc's even though they're super comfy and I wear them pretty much every day. They just aren't the same amount of support and grip, so I'll pick one of the other pairs.  As for a pack, I have an old one aluminum frame one that's not in amazing shape but should be good enough. I'm going with my friend who's done a couple several day backpacking trips.  It's just the two of us though, so we're going to try to go as light as possible I think.  But splitting the required gear between only two people is probably going to be tough.

We should be sticking to less than 10 miles (15km) a day.  It's fairly steep terrain at parts though.  Worst case we'll just ditch early or reduce miles per day.

10 miles a day + terrain + you've never been backpacking is going to be super rough. How much is your pack going weigh? From experience, taking 5 days worth of food at once is a huge weight burden (although it gets lighter as the trip goes on). I would also recommend that you weigh down your pack and walk around a park, a trail, or something for an hour or two just to make sure that your pack fits right and that it isn't hurting your hips or shoulder, and if it does, make adjustments or get a different pack.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Obese people aren't a protected class. Airplanes can discriminate by weight as much as they want and there's nothing that fat people can do about it.

won't stop them from suing for hurt feelings though

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts

Ask yourself: what are the odds that you will be forced to sit next to someone so obese that they occupy more than one seat on your next flight? Would you bet money that your next flight will be next to an obese passenger?

If the answer is no, and you somehow get put into that position, the solution is to bite your tongue, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and remind yourself that you get to experience the miracle of flight and you get to soar through the heavens at 500 mph to get across the country in less than a day. Imagine [bleep]ing about this to your ancestors who had to go on these grueling expeditions for months at a time, and half of their friends and family died along the way! Lol they'd probably be like, "Ok so you're telling me you had to be uncomfortable for a few hours and now your life has been ruined? Gotcha."

If the answer is yes, then you arrange your flight in such a way that you minimize the odds of that happening. You use a different company that allows you to choose your seat or you get out of economy. This is where you say, "What?! But I shouldn't have to do that! That's not fair!" Tough shit. You do have to do that. And it's really not that big of a deal.

With that logic you could invalidate almost every problem we have in the modern world. "You're hungry because you didn't eat breakfast this morning? Well sometimes your ancestors might have gone weeks without a meal!" "You're annoyed that the government is spying on you through the phones and internet? You should be thankful that you're able to carry access to all the world's knowledge in your pocket!" "You've been shot? Well if you were shot before the 20th century if you survived the almost inevitable infection then you probably would have lost a limb!"

Posted Image

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555

Saw Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation last night. It was seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Low Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Low Levelled

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Saw Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation last night. It was seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Was it red

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez

Was it red
Subliminal messages one how commies are bad and not to trust China.

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

With that logic you could invalidate almost every problem we have in the modern world. "You're hungry because you didn't eat breakfast this morning? Well sometimes your ancestors might have gone weeks without a meal!" "You're annoyed that the government is spying on you through the phones and internet? You should be thankful that you're able to carry access to all the world's knowledge in your pocket!" "You've been shot? Well if you were shot before the 20th century if you survived the almost inevitable infection then you probably would have lost a limb!"

I think you're forgetting the first half of my post. You only remind yourself that things could be worse when the discomfort you're currently experiencing is temporary and statistically improbable-- like sitting next to an obese person on a plane.

If you're hungry because you didn't eat breakfast, that's probably your fault and you're making mountains out of molehills. If you're angry about government surveillance, it's your fault that you're angry and you can either move out of the country or learn to accept it (or do what everyone else does and try to petition against it, remaining angry and unhappy for years and years)

I don't think that complaining about getting shot is even remotely similar to complaining about sitting next to a fat person for a few hours :P That kind of proves my point though since it's such an extreme example.

77yLQy8.png

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Nox

Ask yourself: what are the odds that you will be forced to sit next to someone so obese that they occupy more than one seat on your next flight? Would you bet money that your next flight will be next to an obese passenger?

If the answer is no, and you somehow get put into that position, the solution is to bite your tongue, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and remind yourself that you get to experience the miracle of flight and you get to soar through the heavens at 500 mph to get across the country in less than a day. Imagine [bleep]ing about this to your ancestors who had to go on these grueling expeditions for months at a time, and half of their friends and family died along the way! Lol they'd probably be like, "Ok so you're telling me you had to be uncomfortable for a few hours and now your life has been ruined? Gotcha."

If the answer is yes, then you arrange your flight in such a way that you minimize the odds of that happening. You use a different company that allows you to choose your seat or you get out of economy. This is where you say, "What?! But I shouldn't have to do that! That's not fair!" Tough shit. You do have to do that. And it's really not that big of a deal.

I think you're forgetting the first half of my post. You only remind yourself that things could be worse when the discomfort you're currently experiencing is temporary and statistically improbable-- like sitting next to an obese person on a plane.

If you're hungry because you didn't eat breakfast, that's probably your fault and you're making mountains out of molehills. If you're angry about government surveillance, it's your fault that you're angry and you can either move out of the country or learn to accept it (or do what everyone else does and try to petition against it, remaining angry and unhappy for years and years)

I don't think that complaining about getting shot is even remotely similar to complaining about sitting next to a fat person for a few hours  :P That kind of proves my point though since it's such an extreme example.

Well aren't like close to 70% of Americans overweight (~35% considered to be obese)? So chances of sitting next to someone so fat that they cause you physical discomfort is pretty damn high. So if you ask yourself what are the chances you're forced to sit to someone obese, the answer would be at least 1/3. Dunno about you, but those are pretty decent odds. I'd happily bet money on it. So by your logic any time you travel (within the US at least), you'll have to make special arrangements (cause hey, who's going to take chances with a 1/3 probability). 

I wouldn't be surprised if the US is the first country to start charging extra for fat people. They're the country to benefit from it the most seeing as they have one of the highest percentages of obese people, and one of (if not the) busiest air travel industries in the world. 

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

But the odds are very low that the person next to you is so obese that they occupy two plane seats.

77yLQy8.png

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Nox

But the odds are very low that the person next to you is so obese that they occupy two plane seats.

The chances of them occupying two seats, yes. But the chances of them occupying more than one, no. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users