Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56972 replies to this topic

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Other news - Europe has been awesome. Favorite place so far has to be Budapest, really weird city in a good way.

Budapest is awesome, my favourite European city by far. The only thing I didn't like was the smell...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

I'm not going to respond to this emotional diatribe point by point. I will say, however, that on a personal level, I'm disappointed in your behaviour here. I remember you (quite fondly, in fact) as a rational, reasonable individual who was always willing to engage in respectful, thoughful debate, who steered clear of name calling and throwing insults. It's a pity that this seems to no longer be the case.

Honestly, a little irrationality is probably to be expected from anyone in queer communities, simply because this a scary time with a lot of sort of inherent cognitive dissonance. Speaking generally, with no backing statistics or anything, but the people who fight against homophobia, etc. are also the people who fight against islamophobia, so now you've got to balance the "most Muslims aren't terrorists" with "this Islamic-associated man killed 50 people in the name of homophobia." Since neither statement is entirely rooted in logic sans emotion, it's an emotional issue to balance them, not a logical/rational one.

So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

I'm not going to respond to this emotional diatribe point by point. I will say, however, that on a personal level, I'm disappointed in your behaviour here. I remember you (quite fondly, in fact) as a rational, reasonable individual who was always willing to engage in respectful, thoughful debate, who steered clear of name calling and throwing insults. It's a pity that this seems to no longer be the case.

Honestly, a little irrationality is probably to be expected from anyone in queer communities, simply because this a scary time with a lot of sort of inherent cognitive dissonance. Speaking generally, with no backing statistics or anything, but the people who fight against homophobia, etc. are also the people who fight against islamophobia, so now you've got to balance the "most Muslims aren't terrorists" with "this Islamic-associated man killed 50 people in the name of homophobia." Since neither statement is entirely rooted in logic sans emotion, it's an emotional issue to balance them, not a logical/rational one.

Fair enough. Still, keeping decorum when it comes to tough events is a good goal. Even in emotional situations, it doesn't serve anyone well to throw logic out the window.

It certainly doesn't help that the people using this as a platform to say Islam is inherently violent and we need to vet or keep out this immigrants are the same people who a few days ago would have argued against pro-trans bathroom laws or lgbtqia job protections. With, in fact, many of the same arguments about murder vs annoyance that you've got. So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

I don't know if you're referring to me here, but I've already said the bathroom bill is mostly silly (although I can understand where it's proponents are coming from). I also don't think that Islam is inherently violent, or that an immigration freeze needs to be in place, or any of that related nonsense.

polvCwJ.gif

Lower Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Lower Levelled

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 230 posts
I don't understand the why the right thinks keeping their .22 would help against the government when the government would simply use drones

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

I don't understand the why the right thinks keeping their .22 would help against the government when the government would simply use drones

straw man spotted

polvCwJ.gif

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Fair enough. Still, keeping decorum when it comes to tough events is a good goal. Even in emotional situations, it doesn't serve anyone well to throw logic out the window.

It certainly doesn't help that the people using this as a platform to say Islam is inherently violent and we need to vet or keep out this immigrants are the same people who a few days ago would have argued against pro-trans bathroom laws or lgbtqia job protections. With, in fact, many of the same arguments about murder vs annoyance that you've got. So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

I don't know if you're referring to me here, but I've already said the bathroom bill is mostly silly (although I can understand where it's proponents are coming from). I also don't think that Islam is inherently violent, or that an immigration freeze needs to be in place, or any of that related nonsense.
Yeah, I decided it wasn't fair to characterize you in a particular way when I don't really know your views, but you posted before I could remove that part from my post. Oh well, I guess.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

drones, tanks, gas. Lots of nasty things rifles cant touch

straw man spotted

the gov argument is the most common anti-gun control argument out there 

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

straw man spotted

Maybe in the states....I'm somewhat active in the firearm community here (Canada) and I barely ever hear that argument.

However, it was a strawman because I doubt that many people actually think "a .22 will stop a drone". The actual argument, although somewhat flawed, is more nuanced than that.

polvCwJ.gif

Lower Levelled
[ Display Name History ]

Lower Levelled

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 230 posts

straw man spotted

Maybe in the states....I'm somewhat active in the firearm community here (Canada) and I barely ever hear that argument.

However, it was a strawman because I doubt that many people actually think "a .22 will stop a drone". The actual argument, although somewhat flawed, is more nuanced than that.

Not my intention. Living in the midwest I hear this almost every time gun control is brought up. Usually followed by someone invoking the 240 year old document of justice

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

How on earth can you say conservatives are the biggest threat to LGBT peolpe when a islamic terrorist just gunned down 50 people at a gay bar and further attacks have been promised?

Because I follow US politics. I know that it isn't necessarily the case elsewhere, but here it is.

Because I can very clearly see who's supporting legislation designed to strip us of our basic right to exist in public places here.

Because I've seen the statistics and murder rates and I really don't have the energy or willpower to dig them up tonight, but I've personally spoken to people younger than I am that supported the same and worse.

Because the guy who was arrested bringing an arsenal of guns to LA Pride was a young white guy.

Because the reason people are in the closet isn't rare chance of a Muslim terrorist, and it isn't a Muslim terrorist that's responsible every single time someone is murdered or pushed to suicide for existing out in the open.

If that's not representative of Trump's supporters on Reddit, good for them. I'll believe it when I see it. Especially when the shooter himself was apparently not motivated by religion whatsoever (and didn't even practice), according to his family.

There's absolutely no denying it can be dangerous to be gay or trans in America, but in the majority of Muslim nations you would be jailed or put to death for it.

And the man arrested on the way to LA Pride was a) a Bernie supporter, not a conservative and b) not necessarily going there to commit a crime. The explosive found was Tannerite, which is usually used for shooting targets and is not a very effective explosive for the purposes of an attack. His firearms were illegal in California but it's entirely possible he was just going to the parade with his friend then taking him shooting after.

/r/the_donald was so gross today. They've always been gross people who have openly been horrible towards GSMs, and only now do they show any (thinly veiled) support when it allows them to condemn Islam. It's just a bunch of bigoted [wagon] who hate Muslims more than they hate gays.

You're completely full of crap, the sub has never been anti gay. Bigotry is gunning down 50 people because seeing a gay couple kiss made you uncomfortable. 99% of Afghani Muslims support Sharia Law, under which being gay is illegal and usually punishable by death.

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

I too remember how successful the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq was. You can't put down a rebellion with drones.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,203 posts
Eveyone suddenly thinks they know everything about this shooter guy. And oddly because of my diversity of friends somehow this shooter is both ISIS and non practicing Muslim. Homophobic AND nondiscriminatory in violence. Has terrorist ties and doesn't. Bought the guns weeks ago and had the guns all along. And is a huge fan of the NYPD along with being a registered Democrat. At this point I believe only one fact about the whole incident and that is the fact that numerous people are now dead because of one guy. And that sucks. Nothing else is tangibly provable one way or the other any more.
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Saw a youtube video on facebook about who should pay for dates and the hilarious thing is speaker said to his female audience that they should make an effort to split the bill and all hell broke loose in the comment war that followed.

Youtube comments are almost as golden as the facebook ones. So I ask TIF, does it bother you when girls you date don't offer to pay? Whats your standard?

In my experience always pay for the date. No exceptions, this speaker dun goofed.

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Saw a youtube video on facebook about who should pay for dates and the hilarious thing is speaker said to his female audience that they should make an effort to split the bill and all hell broke loose in the comment war that followed.

Youtube comments are almost as golden as the facebook ones. So I ask TIF, does it bother you when girls you date don't offer to pay? Whats your standard?

In my experience always pay for the date. No exceptions.

I would absolutely love it if a girl offered to split the bill. I don't believe it'll ever happen though so I just roll with it.
Posted Image

Noxx
[ Display Name History ]

Noxx

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Nox

I look at it this way: If you ask a girl out on a date it's pretty much the same as asking someone over to your house for dinner. You don't expect them to bring their own food, but generally it's considered good manners to ask/offer to bring something. So if you ask someone out on a date, they have every right to assume you're also offering to pay for the date, but that does not prevent you from offering to pay for yourself. This goes both ways, whether it's a guy asking a girl, or a girl asking a guy. 

To me it's always a big red flag when i take someone out on a date and they don't at least offer to pay for themselves, or offer to leave the tip since i paid for the date, or whatever. 

Kind of reminds me of a date i had a few months ago, with a girl who claimed she was "a big supporter of the feminist movement", but was greatly offended when i asked her why she didn't even offer to pay for herself and responded with "paying for dates is the man's job". 

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

I look at it this way: If you ask a girl out on a date it's pretty much the same as asking someone over to your house for dinner. You don't expect them to bring their own food, but generally it's considered good manners to ask/offer to bring something. So if you ask someone out on a date, they have every right to assume you're also offering to pay for the date, but that does not prevent you from offering to pay for yourself. This goes both ways, whether it's a guy asking a girl, or a girl asking a guy. 

To me it's always a big red flag when i take someone out on a date and they don't at least offer to pay for themselves, or offer to leave the tip since i paid for the date, or whatever. 

Kind of reminds me of a date i had a few months ago, with a girl who claimed she was "a big supporter of the feminist movement", but was greatly offended when i asked her why she didn't even offer to pay for herself and responded with "paying for dates is the man's job". 

Agree across the board

literally half the comments on that video were this. With some trying so save face by saying "muh paygap tho"

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts

/r/the_donald is fine, I don't agree with them and I think their epic maymays are mostly stupid but it's a containment subreddit and it's done a fairly good job keeping them in one easy to avoid area. My biggest complaint about that sub honestly is that they've formed such a cult of personality that Trump is infallible in their eyes. They'll spin anything into a positive, similar to the bitcoin people.

TANSTAAFL

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

/r/the_donald is fine, I don't agree with them and I think their epic maymays are mostly stupid but it's a containment subreddit and it's done a fairly good job keeping them in one easy to avoid area. My biggest complaint about that sub honestly is that they've formed such a cult of personality that Trump is infallible in their eyes. They'll spin anything into a positive, similar to the bitcoin people.

This is similar to most partisan politics though

polvCwJ.gif

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
I have all politics and news subreddits blocked because they're all toxic, some much more so than others.

When I want news I'll fire up my news reader with several sources of various bias. I'm not getting extra-filtered bullshit based on a popularity system. It simply cannot be a reliable source of any sort of news or discussion. Relying on Reddit for news is worse than watching a 24-hour news station; perhaps only better than getting news from Facebook.

Also /r/the_donald is not fine. I have it filtered on RES and refuse to visit Reddit unless I can filter it. It's the worst subreddit that hits /r/all regularly. It's a bunch of hypocrites, and often a bunch of hypocritical bigots.

ozXHe7P.png

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
there are some good politics subreddits. Canadapolitics is quite good I find, but it's really heavily moderated.

polvCwJ.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users