Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56983 replies to this topic

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,513 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
Nope.

And most routers should function as a modem aswell, at least as long as you have a 21st century connection.
Posted Image

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,416 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez

Sooo... Was just doing one last email check before bed and realized I must be tired. Read Saq's name as Ethiopian dude....

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

no racism please

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Wow work sucked last night. Not only was I running on 4 hours of sleep, a few energy drinks, and single slice of pizza, we got slammed hard. We closed at 10:00 pm but didn't get out of there until 11:00 pm because of go-backs, blocking, and cleaning. A coworker had to drive me home because I was so tired. I fell asleep in less than 5 minutes...

And today I'm going shopping for a wig. 8) I'm so excited!

ozXHe7P.png

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Thanks all for the help. We'll have to hope for the best..

Next thinking about getting food arranged since I won't have a car. I looked up Instacart but that was a lot of sticker shock...tried Walmart but then it says undeliverable to my new address. I guess I can just walk to the closest supermarket a mile away and buy the nonperishables on Walmart and other sites...
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Wig shopping didn't go as planned, oh well!

I'll finish the FSE website tonight so that's good! Just have some admin stuff left pending the school after. Wee, ~30 hours so far. A security audit / QA + final changes should push that right up to ~40 hours. I'm good at estimates. :shades: Half is going towards my car, the rest to savings. That plus my student grants means we'll have ~1.5 months of expenses in savings by the end of the September. And the car should be paid off by April as planned!

ozXHe7P.png

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

im glad i never went to college

Kalphite
[ Display Name History ]

Kalphite

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  • RSN:kalphiteman4

They say they will send a set-up kit for $15 in the mail and I can set it up myself. Not sure if it's a good idea to rent theirs as a backup/if I can just send it back after a week and not pay much, or if they will throw a lot of other charges in there. Otherwise if the one I buy doesn't work somehow, it's wait another week for internet access...

Don't rent a modem. The monthly rental fee after a year is about as much money if not a bit more as a super solid modem and router would end up, except then after that you have to keep paying for it. Just a waste of money.

Just had to deal with this, got this router and this modem and I've been pretty happy with them, get my full 150mbps even 2 stories up from where the modem is and can balance as many devices as my roommate and I use without a problem. You could probably get by with cheaper stuff too, I just wanted to future proof a bit cause I figured I'd be paying about that much for a year of rental anyways and didn't want to deal with deadzones with how many stories my current apartment is.

Ah so I need to get both a router and modem for it to work? I guess the internet company's "box" is both combined in one thing. Will it be a major hassle to get it working?

Yeah you need both. Practically, the modem connects to the cable lines via a coaxial cable and retrieves an internet connection and has the ports you can use to connect to it (Ethernet ports, etc). The router connects to your modem and allows you to access that internet connection wirelessly. The things that the cable companies rent are generally a combined all-in-one router and modem. It shouldn't be too bad to get working though, the instructions for these things are generally pretty simple, just took me about 30 minutes or so to get comcast activated and the router and modem working when I had to do it.

And yeah I feel you on the grocery struggle, the only grocery store within a reasonable walk from my new apartment is one of those super bougie co-ops where everything is organic and costs twice as much as it should (lol a pound of ground beef is $9 and a pack of sliced cheese is $7). like its literally cheaper to just go out for dinner than to try to cook anything from there most of the time. Trying to figure out an easy logistic way to get to a more normal grocery store but the nearest one is a bit over a mile away which will make walking there a pain in the ass, especially in the winter. Was planning on getting a car which would make this a lot easier but I just found out my apartment building won't actually let me rent a parking spot, so I have to figure out street parking and hope my shit doesn't get broken into (which it will as it happens to basically all of my friends who have to street park here). Ugh. Miss living next door to a grocery store at my old place so bad

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
I ate so many beans the first year I moved out of my parents place
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,513 posts
We don't really have beans. And if we do, they are stupid expensive.

My closest grocery store is 40 km's or about 25 miles away... Good thing we have a tower fridge and a chest freezer, otherwise would be completely [bleep]ed.
For perspective, I drove 3000 km's or 2000 miles in 6 days leading to past Tuesday. And about 200 km's or 120 miles a day since. Good thing we have Volvo diesel wagon, which sips about 4 and a half litres of fuel per 100 k's, otherwise we'd be paying our asses off with fuel for 2 bucks a litre here.
Posted Image

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,416 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez
Just a vent post really, disclaimer to start it off.

Have/had a choice of schools for two different programs. Ones a two year, continuation (I guess), from my college to University to get my degree and then hopefully continue on which doesn't really offer any benefits careerwise aside from the degree and ability to continue on. The other is another year at college to become an advanced care paramedic which is a direct career advancement.

I decided on the degree a while ago when I wasn't accepted to the ACP program. Got accepted to ACP earlier this month and kind of jumped on and my parents were kinda pushing that way and happy of the choice. Had the time to think again and realised I want to do the degree and continue on hopefully to Med School. Variety of reasons but mainly coming down to that, and can tell my parents are disappointed, maybe not the right word, and think I should do the other.

I know I have to make my own choices but its hard to know my parents, while still supportive of my decision, think its the wrong choice. Guess its one of those growing up moments but it's still a hard one.

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Just a vent post really, disclaimer to start it off.

Have/had a choice of schools for two different programs. Ones a two year, continuation (I guess), from my college to University to get my degree and then hopefully continue on which doesn't really offer any benefits careerwise aside from the degree and ability to continue on. The other is another year at college to become an advanced care paramedic which is a direct career advancement.

I decided on the degree a while ago when I wasn't accepted to the ACP program. Got accepted to ACP earlier this month and kind of jumped on and my parents were kinda pushing that way and happy of the choice. Had the time to think again and realised I want to do the degree and continue on hopefully to Med School. Variety of reasons but mainly coming down to that, and can tell my parents are disappointed, maybe not the right word, and think I should do the other.

I know I have to make my own choices but its hard to know my parents, while still supportive of my decision, think its the wrong choice. Guess its one of those growing up moments but it's still a hard one.

All I can say is that you have to do what you think is right...not everyone will agree, but that's why it's your life

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
At the end of the day you only have to go to bed with your own thoughts, not the thoughts of others. Do whatever makes you happiest.

Also, strange to think of beans as expensive. Their like 60 cents a can here, a can being a meals worth.
Posted Image

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

plus theyre the musical fruit

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,513 posts
Can't get them for under 3 euros here, which is like 4.50 bucks?
Posted Image

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Question... I'm pretty sure at the rate I'm going my resume after school will either have to be like 8 pt font or 1.5 pages event if I just include relevant info, lol. Currently it's just at 1 page if I exclude my Staples job and only include school/extracurriculars/work relevant to programming, plus only skim over my experience with APIs/frameworks/tools/languages.

Because when I graduate I'll have an Associate's and Bachelor's, plus extracurriculars from school like tutoring / website dev, at least one internship + two relevant jobs (freelance work & new job) assuming I literally do nothing else new (no new internships, no relevant extracurriculars, no new job(s)) while in school. But I'm hoping to intern at Epic when I start on my Bachelor's; starting the game dev club at FTCC and/or making one at FSU; and some other stuff... And who knows what else.

This doesn't include any personal work like BMASHINA, DISCWORLD, or ARDEN which are complete and usable projects /today/ (behavior tree AI framework for C++ and Lua, game relation DB and GOAP, and real-time OpenGL tracing/debugging/analysis library) or things like ItsyRealm (when I finish it in a couple years). I suppose I'd just leave them on my portfolio (except ItsyRealm, because that'll be too big to just leave on a portfolio, and I may monetize it).

so my question is: what do. Because I'm going to run into this problem after I graduate FTCC and try and get internships, let alone when I graduate FSU and try and get jobs.

also should I understate my experience with programming languages and such? Because it'll be odd to be a college grad with over 8 years C, C++, and C# experience. That may look like I'm lying or overstating my experience I think (even if it's true).

ozXHe7P.png

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I wouldn't stick too hard to the 1 page resume rule. Mine is 1.5 pages, for instance. As long as what you're putting is relevant and well organized, you should be good. Also, you may have like 10 bullet points for a job at staples, for example, but you probably don't need to give all the detail on the resume - just focus on the specific qualities you learned at that job that wouldn't be represented elsewhere

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

I had a similar background, I started programming 2010ish and graduated in basically Jan 2018. So when companies ask how many years experience I have I never knew how to answer it. Especially with some grey hat projects being the ones I've spent the most effort on.

I would recommend tailoring your resume for each company and include your personal projects that would directly fit that.

You have enough solid projects to do that with no fluff. 

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
Your resume should target what you're applying to, tailored to the needs of that job. Don't understate your strengths. Don't limit yourself in formatting.
Posted Image

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts

Honestly I have no clue where the 1 page resume rule came from. When we receive your application, there's probably 10 pages stapled to it anyway. By all means, filter out the fluff, but don't be afraid to submit a 2 or 3 page resume. In fact you probably should be able to fill a couple pages if you're looking for a mid level position

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)