Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56987 replies to this topic

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,513 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
You guys can't pronounce my real first name. Haven't met anyone who isn't Estonian or a Finn who could pronounce it right.

If anyone takes that as a challenge, I think my Skype is up on my profile.
Posted Image

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,821 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

This was your original post:

When someone sees my dog and ask what his name is I say, "Her name is Diva." and that's that.
They don't double down after being corrected, or insist that she "looks like a male." They don't start talking about genitals, or chromosomes, or reproductive capacity. Why is it such a problem when we're talking about a person?

I'm addressing what I think is a pretty ridiculous false-equivalence. You ought to know exactly why people behave differently with dogs; because there is no meaningful distinction between gender and biological sex.

I'll bite.
What is biological sex?

If a person's sex differs from their gender, why should gendered language not match the gender of the person being referred to?

The surprising part is that, as easy as it is to use the right pronouns after being corrected, some people refuse to.

Just because something is easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to others. You're essentially asking people to ignore every biological instinct they have, and years of specific social conditioning, in the interest of politeness. Clearly not being an [wagon] deliberately is a good thing, but it's not like you're asking someone to call you by a nickname.

Are you seriously suggesting that a person's "every biological instinct" is to misgender trans folk? And that makes it okay?
It's generally accepted that there is a biological instinct to have sex, but it's not unreasonable to expect people to not act on that instinct with someone who objects.

After unintentionally misgendering someone and being corrected, there's a big difference between saying "Sorry, he." and saying "No, I was right. She's just a confused chick in dude's clothes." and intentionally continuing to misgender.

As far as names go, anyone who never knew me by my old name has no problem. Most people are pretty good about it most of the time. Every now and then someone at work will slip and usually self-correct. Some people outside of work were strange about it, refusing to acknowledge my name until it was legally changed or until they had a satisfactory explanation of why I changed it. Only a few insist that I'll always be $OLDNAME to them; [bleep] those people in particular.

Ultimately, Nyoshut, comparing trans people with animals was a poor argument strategy. I appreciate what you were doing, but it's an inaccurate comparison on the one side, and an uncomfortable one on the other.

I'm not comparing trans people to animals. I'm comparing the way trans people are sometimes treated to the way animals are treated.
That should be uncomfortable. The reality of malicious misgendering isn't comfortable.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
It's like Sack of Pretzels or something, right?
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly

Yeah, Scandinavian languages aren't the easiest to deal with. The...sound profile (?) is very different. Really, anything that doesn't have Germanic or Latin roots is likely to be an issue for mono lingual English speakers (or even multi-lingual people who only speak languages with Germanic or Latin roots). Hawaiian is pretty good though. When I was in Hawaii, the map we had included a pronunciation index. Written Hawaiian is quite strait forward, but the spelling rules are quite different and the words tend to be long. I think the idea of the guide was that if you got lost, you would be able to get close enough to a correct pronunciation for locals to understand where you are trying to go.

Come to think of it, there are a few places that should probably have a pronunciation key on local maps...if anyone still used maps.

b6brc9.jpg

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,513 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
Most Scandinavian languages are Germanic based, only Finnish and Sami aren't.

I actually studied Mandarin for a semester in uni, that was interesting. A melodic language, where the meaning changes by the tonality of the phrase. We don't have it as pronounced, but a wee bit similar. For example, jäääär, aiaauk are words, which you can try to pronounce.
Posted Image

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

August 13th I told this company I had a job offer that required a decision by the end of that week (and that I accepted and just started Tuesday). Today they wrote back, said sorry for the delay, is letting me know in another two weeks okay?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

yeah no worries dont worry about it its ok

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Kalphite
[ Display Name History ]

Kalphite

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  • RSN:kalphiteman4

flying to japan tomorrow and holy [bleep] do i need this vacation right now. cannot waittttttttttt

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
EAGLES SUPER BOWL 2019
Posted Image

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

fly eggles fly

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Anyone know anything about PC builds? Trying to make something kind of budget here.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ktDzpG

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Do you already have a GPU? (I'm assuming so but just checking since Ryzen doesn't have an IGP). And I'd /try/ going for a 1 TB SSD unless you're going to use a spare HDD. Of course, if you're not doing any gaming then it's more than plenty.

Personally I use 256 GB on my Windows 10 install which I don't game on and it's plenty for all my development tools [Unreal, Unity, Visual Studio, etc] / software [Microsoft Office, Blender, etc] / programming libraries [20+ GB] / music [50+ CDs of FLAC-encoded music plus MP3 encoded copies lol] / other crap. But some of the games on Steam I've bought are over 50 GB which would... be taxing.

ozXHe7P.png

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Oh right. Yeah, I didn't put it on the list at the time, but my friend is giving me his nvidia gtx970. I do some gaming, but I'm not one of those people who keeps more than like 5 games on my computer at a time. I have external storage for stuff like movies though, and slapping down another $100 for memory I won't use in the near future just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,204 posts
Other than considering bumping your ram to 32gb it looks like a solid starter pc
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
i'm still in pleb mode with my 8gb gaming pc

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

I don't have $300 to spend on RAM. Well, I do, but I like to eat from time to time.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

16 GB master race! But my GPU is 4 generations old and my GPU is an nVidia 1050 (not Ti).

I so wanna upgrade to a Ryzen 8 or 16 core / nVidia 1080 / 32 or 64 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD x2 (for FreeBSD & Windows) / 144 hz 4k or dual monitor but I can't justify it at the moment. I want a 3 month emergency fund more than anything right now...

(But I could compile Unreal Engine in 10 minutes on that thing...)

ozXHe7P.png

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 965 posts

hah!

Flodder450
[ Display Name History ]

Flodder450

Official Tip.it Minecraft Architect

• Members
  • 2,843 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Flodder450

Enjoying student life, still got Math to do tho

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

It drops things... Where does it hold them?

Fh5HpM4.gif

ozXHe7P.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users