Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

56700 replies to this topic

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,983 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Marketing is 90% of the success of a game, since it's such a saturated market. Unfortunately, that's how you've got to attract people.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,124 posts
Yeah I got distracted by MTG arena on Monday so I didn't get to download the latest version of Itsyrealm, my b. I'll give the link to my brother, he spends a good deal of time on the computer so he should probably be able to squeeze some play time in.

There was another game dev that posted here something like...god...9 years ago? The game played a lot like Golden Sun and the handheld Zelda series and my brother loved that back then. He even asked me for the link again when he got a new computer a while back.

Anywho, I would love to be more active in play testing for you Veiva but the reality is I spend next to no time on my PC. Maybe I'll get a day where I have a few hours on it, but then not again for 3-4 weeks. I think I've turned it on twice this year so far
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 908 posts

mqke3 t shirts of your game title and put them on wild animals in the forestt

• Dax likes this

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
tbh I doubt a game that is essentially a copy of another game is really going to take off

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,995 posts

So I have a nagging thought...

Despite everyone whose played my game liking it, I've had a very hard time to get people to play my game. I mean more specifically in real life: my friends and family say they'll play it but most of them haven't. (Two months later.)

If I can't get friends and family to play my game, how am I supposed to get people in general to do so?

Sales and marketing are the most important part of a business. Either read a lot of books and work in sales/marketing for a while and learn those skills yourself, or pay someone to do it for you

77yLQy8.png

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,805 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

tbh I doubt a game that is essentially a copy of another game is really going to take off

Is CoD still a thing?

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
I'm working on marketing it's just slow.

Another person who hasn't played my game. :)

ozXHe7P.png

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Is CoD still a thing?

yeah, but it's new versions made by the same developers, that offer something new, at least in theory

I'm working on marketing it's just slow.

Another person who hasn't played my game. :)

I haven't, but I'm the kind of person you need to *persuade* to play the game. I've been really impressed with how much you've done and how far you've come, but based on what I've *seen*, it just looks like differently-animated runescape, which doesn't appeal to me

polvCwJ.gif

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,767 posts

It's a good point. If your game looks like a clone of RuneScape with different graphics, then you need to be prepared to overcome that prejudice.

Looking at the first Google result for ItsyRealm, I think it'd help a lot to just talk about the traits that make your game enjoyable, not what games you drew inspiration from. So talk about the sense of adventure, character progression, world-building, etc. instead of saying "It's basically RuneScape but 2d". 

Another thing: I know your game is 2d-ish and the engine probably isn't as full-featured as Unity or Unreal, but environmental effects and aesthetics are so important to how a game is perceived. The right ambient lighting, color grading, fog, particle effects, and skybox go a long way in making your game more appealing

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

It's a good point. If your game looks like a clone of RuneScape with different graphics, then you need to be prepared to overcome that prejudice.

Looking at the first Google result for ItsyRealm, I think it'd help a lot to just talk about the traits that make your game enjoyable, not what games you drew inspiration from. So talk about the sense of adventure, character progression, world-building, etc. instead of saying "It's basically RuneScape but 2d". 

Another thing: I know your game is 2d-ish and the engine probably isn't as full-featured as Unity or Unreal, but environmental effects and aesthetics are so important to how a game is perceived. The right ambient lighting, color grading, fog, particle effects, and skybox go a long way in making your game more appealing

Didn't think about Google results, I'll update the Love2D thread with the latest screenshots. I'll update the relevant threads with a better description of the game.

Skybox is a TODO, lighting has already been taken care of:

ka4QzLU.png

Zy6BbtQ.png

86iie0Q.png

edit: How is this description?

"You're a random adventurer that starts on an awesome quest to discover the secret of a powerful necromancer god by utilizing combat and non-combat skills. You can make equipment from supplies raided from dungeons and forests and oceans; go toe-to-toe with powerful monsters and Eldritch creations; and help friendly heroes save the world. Should you fail, the four Old Ones may succeed to tear the very fabric of reality apart."

Edited by Veiva, 23 January 2019 - 05:47 PM.

ozXHe7P.png

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,124 posts
I'd get rid of the word "random" and it's interesting that you capitalized "Old Ones" but not "God"

New lighting look spectacular though
Posted Image

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 908 posts

waht if you added more goonstalfs

• Dax likes this

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez

waht if you added more goonstalfs

Actually, I think this would be a super cool easter egg. Super vague as well, but something to add if you got bored or just had a ton of extra time. Just a cat avatar somewhere that says "Goonstalf style" things.

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 908 posts

no no thats a terriblle idea

• Dax likes this

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts

make him a plumber

j0xPu5R.png

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
and name him Dennis

polvCwJ.gif

Goonstalf
[ Display Name History ]

Goonstalf

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 908 posts

now were talking

• Dax likes this

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
here's a play-through of High Chambers Yendor, Floor 1 West (sped up 4x)

Kept screwing up on the miniboss, lol.

This dungeon is nothing like those in RuneScape, it's more like Legend of Zelda... Especially Floors 2 & 3 (2 is monster gauntlet with a gimmick, 3 is going to be giant light/mirror puzzle ala Earth Temple from Wind Waker).

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,767 posts

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! That definitely looks like a game I'd love to play

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! That definitely looks like a game I'd love to play

Thank you!

There's a lot of cute things about the dungeon I couldn't show off or may have not been clear.

If you eat from the tables, the food vanishes. The kitchen staff will replenish the tables when you eat from them. If you kill the staff trying to clean the table, another will attempt to do so (until you kill them all). The chefs are also stronger than the warriors/wizards/skeletons, too, as a sort of joke.

The ghost torch puzzle makes a few references to the song "No Light, No Light" by Florence + The Machine. The ghost's examine is "He wants a revelation, some kind of resolution." and he says "No light, no light!" when you light the first torch.

There's an Alice character that spawns where ever a chest mimic may spawn. It's a jab at the MTX in RuneScape with Alice from Treasure Hunter (the replacement to the Squeal of Fortune for those who haven't played in a while). The mimic kills her if it spawns. Mimics randomly spawn, but some may be generous and offer a large amount of coin for your items and offer you some good stuff (rare) or be mean and offer you pennies and charge exorbitant prices (common). They will also let you access your bank... for a fee.

@Hedgehog, I updated the Love2D thread with the latest version + new screenies.

Edited by Veiva, 26 January 2019 - 03:12 AM.

ozXHe7P.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users