Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Today...

Real Life

57071 replies to this topic

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Agreed, but 350 million is a huge number too. It's tempting to look at these issues from our individual perspective (and completely understandable), but it often differs immensely from the societal perspective.

This whole scandal the Canadian government is going through right now, for instance, happened over 9000 jobs - a minuscule amount for a country as large as Canada.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
My whole countrt has something like 7000 unemployed people in total... But also the population is small and unemployment rates are pretty much lowest they have ever been. We have had like 7% wage increases every year for the past 5 years, cause there are not enough available workers. Average wage passed 1300 euros a month past year and considering the cost of living we are pretty darn well off. We are at a spot where we can travel abroad and not find stuff too expensive anymore pretty much anywhere on the planet. Considering where we started 28 years ago we are pretty much rolling in wealth.
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I should have added Estonia to my unemployment rate list: 5.3%

Our Baltic compadre does bring up a good point as well - unemployment figures don't take into account jobs where demand exceeds supply..for example the US has ~50000 truck driver jobs that are currently unfilled. Obviously they're unfilled for a reason, but there's some reason to suggest that rate could go down before it goes up.

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts
I picked a fight with an Instagram model just now because she was touting anti vax propaganda. Let's see if she blocks me

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts
Update: she read my dms and removed the posts lol

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
sounds like wife material

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts
She is indeed married and gave birth to a child. she meets the correct criteria and materials of both wife and mother

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,486 posts
Idk why you bothered

90% of her audience is probably guys who think she has a nice ass.

They'll still be wanking no matter how stupid she is.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts
Yea but someone with that many followers has a fair amount of influence. It's like idol worship, anything people with that many followers says has significant consequence due to the broad range of the audience. It's irresponsible to promote something as dangerous as anti vax when your voice carries that much weight (or at all, but especially when you have a platform)

One idiot is bad, but an idiot feeding thousands of uninformed others is tremendously dangerous

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts

My  high school chemistry teacher was an anti vaxxer, well before the whole movement started in America

Dax
[ Display Name History ]

Dax

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,014 posts

I've never run into an anti vaxxer in the wild before, I thought it was a big meme out of control. I just can't believe anyone would think it's the right idea. It's like the whole flat Earth thing.

#KERR2016/17/18/19.

#rpgformod

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Yea but someone with that many followers has a fair amount of influence. It's like idol worship, anything people with that many followers says has significant consequence due to the broad range of the audience. It's irresponsible to promote something as dangerous as anti vax when your voice carries that much weight (or at all, but especially when you have a platform)

One idiot is bad, but an idiot feeding thousands of uninformed others is tremendously dangerous

I think shes probably a true believer which is why shes saying it. And in a way its tragic for her as well, that she may think because she has a large platform she can spread her worldview but instead all anyone cares about is her booty pics.

But yes you get enough people and a few individuals are bound to behave in weird ways. I'm sure theres a few dozen people who might become anti vaxxers because of her. But I also am sure theres a few dozen people who might become stalkers and dox her and harass her as well because they thought she was hot and decided they own her now.

And I don't think your responsible for unstable members of your audience even if you want to be

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

booty pics, you say?

77yLQy8.png

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
I think that's a pretty big get out of jail free card...
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

I liked Captain Marvel.

ozXHe7P.png

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
I'll preface this by saying I haven't looked at any kind of meta analysis of employment statistics

but from my completely anecdotal personal experience of gathering takes from people in the engineering industry, I get the impression that the job market for young people is bleaker than it has been in some time. and I seemingly hear this over and over from people. yet unemployment is very low.

I know that statistic doesn't include people who have stopped looking - were a lot of people just knocked out after the recession and have stopped trying to get up? are more of the current jobs considered shitty than they used to be? are people living and working longer, preventing people lower down from moving up and creating a logjam at the bottom?

I don't really follow mainstream media but it seems that people on the right and left were saying in 2016 that the us job market was in the worst state it had been in decades. that doesn't seem like something that could really reverse in 2 years. of course at election time both sides have an incentive to sell the idea that everything is going to hell unless they get out in charge, but I still see this take from normal people who have no reason to try to convince me either way

if I can't even confidently assess the present state I don't see how I can make recommendations for the future

/ramblepost

TANSTAAFL

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

but from my completely anecdotal personal experience of gathering takes from people in the engineering industry, I get the impression that the job market for young people is bleaker than it has been in some time. and I seemingly hear this over and over from people. yet unemployment is very low.

the problem with anecdotal evidence such as this is that there's no way it can capture a society wide phenomenon. I've heard (and experienced) pretty much the opposite, at least in technical fields.

I know that statistic doesn't include people who have stopped looking - were a lot of people just knocked out after the recession and have stopped trying to get up? are more of the current jobs considered shitty than they used to be? are people living and working longer, preventing people lower down from moving up and creating a logjam at the bottom?

it is true that labor force participation rate has declined over the past 20 years (though it is still much higher than it was in the 50s and 60s), though it does tend to have a moderate inverse relationship to unemployment rate (there's been a recent uptick as unemployment has gone down).

There are definitely demographic issues that most western countries have relating to aging populations and increased female participation in the workforce. The implications of all this definitely go beyond the scope of my knowledge though

I don't really follow mainstream media but it seems that people on the right and left were saying in 2016 that the us job market was in the worst state it had been in decades. that doesn't seem like something that could really reverse in 2 years. of course at election time both sides have an incentive to sell the idea that everything is going to hell unless they get out in charge, but I still see this take from normal people who have no reason to try to convince me either way

if I can't even confidently assess the present state I don't see how I can make recommendations for the future

/ramblepost

Unemployment in 2016 was at 4.7%, so it's definitely decreased since then...the economy has generally done well over the past 2 years. There was a minor recession in 2015-2016, so some of it is a rebound from that. Still, 4.7% unemployment isn't at all bad.

I think a lot of the angst about the job market in 2016 was due to the political angle like you suggest, but also because emotional and anecdotal evidence tends to resonate with people more than statistics do. If a minor recession occurs and 100k people lose their jobs, the natural emotional reaction to that is to freak out, but as previously mentioned it's not nearly as big of a problem as some might think.

Anyway - the big takeaway from all this is not that everything is 100% great and definitely going to remain so - more that people like to panic and it isn't always warranted. Though there are some negative indications, there are a lot of positive ones too.

polvCwJ.gif

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts

I'll preface this by saying I haven't looked at any kind of meta analysis of employment statistics

This is probably the most intelligent approach to anything that is as complicated as national employment trends - Admitting that you don't have the answers. What I find most frustrating is that someone somewhere has hard factual data on these things, but it's always impossible to find through all the garbage and bias of other people's thoughts and opinions.

I wonder if nepotism also adds to the "bleak" factor in modern job hunting.

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,217 posts

This is probably the most intelligent approach to anything that is as complicated as national employment trends - Admitting that you don't have the answers. What I find most frustrating is that someone somewhere has hard factual data on these things, but it's always impossible to find through all the garbage and bias of other people's thoughts and opinions.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

Actually, a lot of these questions are just hard to answer. Statistics can give you the basic facts, but extrapolating complex trends from that is hard enough that there's an entire profession devoted to doing so. There are a lot of really good economics papers that cover these questions, but there isn't always a consensus, and they aren't necessarily written with the average person in mind.

if I had to guess I'd say nepotism is probably *less* prevalent now than ever, if for no other reason than that companies have much larger pools to recruit from and many more means of doing so than they did 30 years ago.

polvCwJ.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Real Life

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Goonstalf in Goonstalf's Blog, on 16 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Source: Today...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users