Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Leoo

Today...

Not making friends your priority doesn't mean not making a lot of them. If you have a grade requirement on a schollorship, meet that. Most scholorships past first year will probably require a 3.7, as will a lot of employment opourtunities at the University (tend to pay poorly, but can offer very valuable experience, which is a very valuable commodity). I will also so that good marks tend to be a door to good relations with professors, which can very easily lead to connections you can use to get better jobs out of University.

I would phrase it that your priority should be to set yourself up for the future. Marks are a gateway to perhaps a first job, less student debt, and world connections. Friends will probably be less important. People tend to drift apart after school, and most people make friends within their neighborhoods. So I would still consider freinds to typically be a short term focused goal, and something that should no be pursued to the extent that you sacrifice your future.

On the flip side, there is very little to be gained being a strait A+ student vs an A- or even B+. The marks mean very little out of school, and you can open the doors with less than a perfect GPA. Sometimes the difference in work between a B and A isn't going to be worth it.

Balance.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with the difference between a B and an A. At least where I go, that threshold can be very hard to break and you really feel like you've earned it when you do. Even if the marks don't mean as much for your prospects they can make a world of difference to you personally and how much you got out of your classes. Which will carry over into how well you do later.

• Like 2

p2gq.jpg

I'm doing ICT so I know I'll meet some fellow geeks who have the same interests(games/technology/anime/tv shows). Definitely get to know flatmates and chat to professors.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

3 weeks till uni for me...

Luckily, half of my former classmates are going to the same uni.

But I am afraid that is a bit bad aswell.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I have to disagree with the difference between a B and an A. At least where I go, that threshold can be very hard to break and you really feel like you've earned it when you do. Even if the marks don't mean as much for your prospects they can make a world of difference to you personally and how much you got out of your classes. Which will carry over into how well you do later.

I won't deny a certain satisfaction to the high marks, I certainly enjoy them myself (I consistently do score at least one A+). I should perhaps say that, if faced with the option to go have some fun, or spend another 3-5 hours getting that A+ instead of an A, then perhaps you should consider having some fun. There is also a difference between getting lower marks because you don't know something, like say losing points on your math assignments, and losing a few points because you didn't spend hours making your English paper absolutely perfect.

In other news, I got an A+ today from my computer course I was taking, which is fantastic news for me. 90.6%, so I'd say I pretty much nailed it (closer than I would like, was making me nervous, but I landed on the right side and get that extra .3 so yay me).

Also got my computer setup at last. Been missing this. No desks for it anymore out here, so it's a fun setup. Also cleaned it out a bit, which mostly means I waved the vacuum at some fans, got duse out of the bottom, and removed the cpu fan to clear out the heatsink. Didn't have any compressed air unfortunately.

I made Eagle Scout today.

• Like 4

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

gz I never was in boy scouts but I hear thats a hell of an achievement

It is. Congrats Gabe. =D>

I was a Queen's Venturer (one of Canada's highest Scouting awards) myself back in the day.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Got my first two job interviews this week, very excited :D Today is a day of wrapping up lots of little things before holiday tomorrow, a week in the lake district should be nice :)

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Oh oh...my laptop almost didn't boot up after I left the house this morning. It said one of the windows files was corrupt. Fortunately after a couple of tries it started. Here's hoping it works long enough for me to back everything up.

On the plus side, this might finally convince them to buy me a new one. :D

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Been a normal day, but having dat depression hit so makes it kind of a buttton shittier, for no reason really. Hopefully will find something fun to entertain myself this afternoon with.

Just got my wisdom teeth taken out 30 mins ago.

• Like 1

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Oh oh...my laptop almost didn't boot up after I left the house this morning. It said one of the windows files was corrupt. Fortunately after a couple of tries it started. Here's hoping it works long enough for me to back everything up.

On the plus side, this might finally convince them to buy me a new one. :D

Have you tried spraying it with ether? My old laptop refused to start, but a couple hits of ether and it fired right up.

Just got my wisdom teeth taken out 30 mins ago.

I keep thinking mine should go, but I'm a druid and don't want to take the hit on spellcasting. :(

Besides, I might knock some other tooth out and need a spare.

• Like 1

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Have you tried spraying it with ether? My old laptop refused to start, but a couple hits of ether and it fired right up.

I said laptop, not 1970's muscle car. :P

Although, if it literally melted down they'd definitely have to get me a new one. :lol:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you look like an eagle scout haha

Congrats though, takes a lot of work to get there.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Don't take this the wrong way, but you look like an eagle scout haha

Congrats though, takes a lot of work to get there.

Most of them do.

Additional congratulations.

But I'm not going to lie, Eagle Scouts have literally got to be the MOST stereotypical/predictable human beings on this planet.

I said laptop, not 1970's muscle car. :P

Although, if it literally melted down they'd definitely have to get me a new one. :lol:

Heh, that's what I was thinking. That's how you start my dads backhoe.

I assume Eagle Scout is comparable to Chief Scout in Canada? Congrats on that, an accomplishment to be sure.

Thats about where I stopped. I did a year or so after Ventures, but honestly it was mostly camping, and one really good game of Risk. With a different Venture leader, and a different group of people, I might have gone on. I might have at least stayed a while longer. My one regret is that I never did anything with Fantasy Camp as a Venture (usually there are a couple challenge areas done up by the Ventures), though I did do the Venture equivalent (less fantasy, more shooting small cannons and obstacle courses).

But I'm not going to lie, Eagle Scouts have literally got to be the MOST stereotypical/predictable human beings on this planet.

They're not all politicians, soldiers and captains of industry you know (although, admittedly, a lot of them are). You'd probably be surprised at some of the people who are Eagle Scouts:

and finally (saving the best for last), former President Gerald Ford and L. Ron Hubbard. You're in good company Gabe! :lol:

And just to show they're not all insane murderers or cult leaders, I give you Thomas R. Norris...former Navy SEAL, Medal of Honor recipient, and retired member of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team. That's a pretty big badass right there. :thumbup:

I was not saying their weren't all badasses (most actually are). They're just easier to spot than blood in the snow.

I am an Eagle Scout and that's me in my avatar. So if you mean easy to spot as in the most dashing gents in the room, you would be correct.

• Like 1

p2gq.jpg

Just got called for my third job interview in as many days. Feels good man :D

3 in one day, I'm lucky to get one per 3 months. [bleep]ing Australia :(

Popoto.~<3

Looks like the motherboard of my desktop might be dying. Takes multiple tries and a lot of reseating parts to get my computer started. This'll teach me to get the cheapest stuff when building a computer, although I was a student when I built it 5 years ago and I didn't have much money. Now that I have a job, I probably won't have much more money since I bought a car, so I guess I'll have to find a way to get the money for a new build. Guess my laptop and the other 2 desktops (that I got for nothing) will do for now.

One of my biggest projects. Nearly 10,000 lines of code, all carefully written to serve one purpose, and one purpose only. To render the most realistic cube ever. And today, my fellow mortals, today is the day that cube breathed its first breath. Today is the day the most realistic cube was ever rendered on a personal computer:

o2MlvzB.png

This beauty renders at 60 FPS in debug mode. That's an amazing technological achievement.

ozXHe7P.png