Today...

Leoo

I saw a news story where an African American lady ended up having to pay hundreds and hundreds in monthly, accumulating fees because she couldn't pay off the ticket all at once, and went to jail 3 times for the parking ticket. That's unlucky...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I saw a news story where an African American lady ended up having to pay hundreds and hundreds in monthly, accumulating fees because she couldn't pay off the ticket all at once, and went to jail 3 times for the parking ticket. That's unlucky...

she definitely had more then 1 ticket

• Like 1

she definitely had more then 1 ticket

Yeah I guess it was more than 1 ticket, but there were other cases involving only one ticket (for $41) and even for stealing a $2 can of beer, but that's another matter...

Here's a text version of the story involving that and some similar stories...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

In the continued story of my day, my laptop charger just caught fire.  And I have to write a paper tonight.

Luckily my roommates charger is compatible with my laptop, so it could be worse.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Your laptop charger should follow your example and quit smoking D:. I hope nothing (else) was damaged though?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Haha, I'm doing my best to take it as it comes.  My charger is destroyed, but that's not a huge deal.  Probably like $5 to replace on amazon.  Laptop is seemingly unharmed, as am I and my bed that it was sitting on.  I unplugged it pretty quick when the sparks and smoke started coming out of it.

I could use a cigarette, but I'm gonna do what I can.  Told my roommate that if I needed to stress smoke, I'd give him the pack and he could control my smoking that way.  So long as the amount I smoke is getting less over time it's an improvement, but I'm trying to do it as close to "cold turkey" as possible.

Cold turkey is a really weird phrase.

15cbz0y.jpg

And I am gonna spend nearly whole of June out in the fields, getting real-world experience before I can conclude my semester...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

The birds have been singing for almost an hour and I still haven't finished my paper.  But I'm very close so that's what matters.

It's only a draft, so I'm not terribly concerned, but it's still worth a decent amount of my grade.  I'm not going to edit my previous sections though, so that'll be bad.  I'll have to put a little more effort into the final version.  As it stands, I really don't give a shit about my grade as long as I pass, so that's fine.

I'm tired and words aren't really making sense so [bleep] it I'm out.

Edit: Done. 5:10 AM.  Word count 5,214.

15cbz0y.jpg

There's been like 3 programs this semester that have been group assignments, but which I took the lead on because I had an idea of how it should work or whatever, and as a result I've ended up having to do all the work on all 3 assignments because I'm not good at writing code in a way that it can easily be handed off to someone else to work on.

I'm working on the third assignment now. It's a game. I don't think I can get it done before it's due in a week and a half, but I think we'll have the same problem here. I'm really worried. If it weren't a group project, I would take the grade hit and just get *something* working, even if it didn't work well at all. But it's a group project, and I can't ruin other peoples' grades like that.

I just wish I were a better software engineer. I'm a decent coder, at least for what experience I have, but I'm not good at designing the code.

*sigh*

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

If the people in the group are not putting any work forward, and are not willing to then take the grade hit. Without collaboration on a group project the project is yours anyway.

• Like 1

No, they're definitely hard at work. They've been working on sprites and backgrounds and shit, which is good and we'll need them. I haven't handed them anything to work on yet, which is mostly why no one else has done any engine coding.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Maybe you should all sit down in a room and work on it together? If your code isn't commented and everything, being there to explain how a certain part works when they get stuck is probably the next best thing

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I fail to see how group projects are a good idea for a professor to assign in any class above the age of 14

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Because children need to learn how to pay nice with each other and its way easier to glue a volcano together than to coordinate work schedules class schedules and still find time to collaborate on things like research articles and coding

• Like 1

I fail to see how group projects are a good idea for a professor to assign in any class above the age of 14

No way, especially in engineering (including software) you are almost never going to be doing projects by yourself - writing code, particularly code that is compatible with others is pretty much nessicary. It sucks when you get the crappy group mates but you just need to pester them until they get sick of you and actually pull their weight.

• Like 1

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I hate group peojects but programming it makes the most sense to assign them. Thats literally the whole point of OOP to make it easier to split up work

Besides now adays it is easy just github your code and skype your group.

Project is tile based game engine.
Johnny you set up the tiles, overlays
Ill do entities brhavior
Sarah you handle the networking to upload win/loss ratio and other stuff to a database
Jose level layout and npc stats balancing

• Like 1

Although most of the complaints about group work are valid and not necessarily relevant to work.

The main issues people have with group work:

The lower down you go in education level the more likely you will be paired up with someone who will leech off you the whole way through and yes I'm aware that leechers are a problem at every level. 

Assigned "group work" that is really a one man job which either leads to arbitrary splitting that slows down the process or the one guy taking notes on the topic having the work dumped on them

University group projects for non CS majors mean your likely expected to meet in person at odd hours which is unreasonable if your working with commuters or people with near full time jobs, its a logicistical nightmare.

Went to my first barn rave in like 3-4 years or so. The horses were more interesting than the crowd. Everyone just stop around drinking and doing drugs while I was dancing. Dumb kids. I left early. I think I outgrew underground raves.

Went to my first barn rave in like 3-4 years or so. The horses were more interesting than the crowd. Everyone just stop around drinking and doing drugs while I was dancing. Dumb kids. I left early. I think I outgrew underground raves.