Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Leoo

Today...

Oh, that must mean it never happens to anyone then. You're probably right.

I never said it never happens. I said it happens rarely, which means it's not a big deal when it does happen. However, if you live in a special part of the world or have special traveling habits which makes sitting next to an extremely obese person a common occurrence for you, then obviously you either need to get used to it or change what you're doing such that this happens less often.

I'm not sure if that's a real reply or if you're just dicking around?

• Like 1

Plane crashes happen rarely. Guess that means they're not a big deal either. 

Let me just elaborate. You're trying to justify something by saying "It's not a big deal because it doesn't happen often enough." Sometimes once is too many. These things should not happen at all. EVER. Essentially, when you're sitting next to someone who occupies even 1% of your seat, they're stealing from you. They're using a space you paid for. If they knows that they're unable to fit his large figure in one seat, the responsibility to make arrangements lies with they. No one else. Whether this happens once per flight, or once a year. There should be no difference. Each passenger has the right to equal comfort in their given seating-class (economy, business, first, etc.). Expecting someone to buy a ticket out of their class because SOMEONE ELSE causes them discomfort is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

If you're worrying about a plane crash every time you get on a plane, you're insane. Because like you said, they happen rarely

77yLQy8.png

I suppose this whole debate boils down to what one can reasonably expect from a plane ticket. If all an economy class ticket guarantees is that you will be transported from point A to point B, that's all you get.

However, if there is also a reasonable expectation of relative comfort (or lack of extreme discomfort), things change when seated next to a person so obese that they intrude on your space. In theory, if you are purchasing one "seat", and are denied the entire unimpeded use of that seat, the airline has not kept up their end of the bargain.

I'm not a lawyer, but as far as suing them goes, it seems there would be some reasonable grounds to do so in extreme circumstance. It's only a matter of time before someone does, and if they win, more people will do the same. Eventually it may well be cheaper for airlines to face possible "discriminatory" lawsuits from obese people whom they charge for multiple seats.

Anyway, it is fairly rare, as muggi says. I've sat next to some fat people on planes, but no one so big as to make me actively uncomfortable.

• Like 2

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Let me just elaborate. You're trying to justify something by saying "It's not a big deal because it doesn't happen often enough." Sometimes once is too many.

I agree that getting shot or getting into a plane crash is once too many. But those things are also extremely rare.

I disagree that sitting next to a fat person on a plane is once too many. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

These things should not happen at all. EVER. Essentially, when you're sitting next to someone who occupies even 1% of your seat, they're stealing from you. They're using a space you paid for. If they knows that they're unable to fit his large figure in one seat, the responsibility to make arrangements lies with they. No one else. Whether this happens once per flight, or once a year. There should be no difference. Each passenger has the right to equal comfort in their given seating-class (economy, business, first, etc.). Expecting someone to buy a ticket out of their class because SOMEONE ELSE causes them discomfort is ridiculous.

In an ideal world, that's how things should be. But in the real world, these kinds of things things do happen all the time, and they're going to continue to happen until the day you die. The longer you resist this truth, the longer you'll remain unhappy whenever the world treats you unfairly.

77yLQy8.png

Let me just elaborate. You're trying to justify something by saying "It's not a big deal because it doesn't happen often enough." Sometimes once is too many.

I agree that getting shot or getting into a plane crash is once too many. But those things are also extremely rare.

I disagree that sitting next to a fat person on a plane is once too many. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

These things should not happen at all. EVER. Essentially, when you're sitting next to someone who occupies even 1% of your seat, they're stealing from you. They're using a space you paid for. If they knows that they're unable to fit his large figure in one seat, the responsibility to make arrangements lies with they. No one else. Whether this happens once per flight, or once a year. There should be no difference. Each passenger has the right to equal comfort in their given seating-class (economy, business, first, etc.). Expecting someone to buy a ticket out of their class because SOMEONE ELSE causes them discomfort is ridiculous.

In an ideal world, that's how things should be. But in the real world, these kinds of things things do happen all the time, and they're going to continue to happen until the day you die. The longer you resist this truth, the longer you'll remain unhappy whenever the world treats you unfairly.

Well frankly i don't have to worry about sitting next to a fat person in a plane because whenever i fly it's either first or business, or in the pilot's seat. But that doesn't mean it's not an issue i'd like to change for people who aren't as fortunate as i am. And it's your mentality that prohibits the world from progressing and becoming a better place to live. "Crime will happen. Get used to it. It'll happen till the day you die. No use getting upset over it." If enough people fight together, changes can be made. Or did gay marriage not just become legal?

• Like 1

Just complain to the service desk after the flight and the flight attendant before/during the flight like any soccer mom would and they almost certainly will offer to move you or offer a $50 gift certificate :lol:

Well frankly i don't have to worry about sitting next to a fat person in a plane because whenever i fly it's either first or business, or in the pilot's seat. But that doesn't mean it's not an issue i'd like to change for people who aren't as fortunate as i am. And it's your mentality that prohibits the world from progressing and becoming a better place to live. "Crime will happen. Get used to it. It'll happen till the day you die. No use getting upset over it." If enough people fight together, changes can be made. Or did gay marriage not just become legal?

http://forum.tip.it/topic/329500-sexual-orientation-and-identification/page-5?do=findComment&comment=5567403

http://forum.tip.it/topic/329500-sexual-orientation-and-identification/page-5?do=findComment&comment=5567405

http://forum.tip.it/topic/329500-sexual-orientation-and-identification/page-5?do=findComment&comment=5567410

tl;dr: crime, fat people on air planes, and gay marriage wouldn't really be issues in the first place if everyone had the same mentality as me

77yLQy8.png

tl;dr: crime, fat people on air planes, and gay marriage wouldn't really be issues in the first place if everyone had the same mentality as me

Okay, but the argument you linked happened because people with your mentality don't listen when something challenges your preconceptions :v

ITT:

Muggiwhplar talks about accepting reality and achieving happiness.

NOXX talks about planes and hating fat people (and occasionally pop culture video games)

I'm glad we all have our niche

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Lost my job, already got interviews lined up for another job 2 weeks later.

Lost my job, already got interviews lined up for another job 2 weeks later.

This is a great time to be looking for a job too. You're gonna get paid so much

Okay, but the argument you linked happened because people with your mentality don't listen when something challenges your preconceptions :v

What do you mean?

77yLQy8.png

Would be cool if the next time someone here takes a flight, they could walk down the aisle and check how many people are spilling into other people's seats. Data yo.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Would be cool if the next time someone here takes a flight, they could walk down the aisle and check how many people are spilling into other people's seats. Data yo.

yeah and also, if you see anyone spilling into anyone's seats, make sure you ask the obese passenger what their bodyweight, BMI, and bodyfat percentage is. if they don't know, make sure you keep a scale and skinfold calipers on hand. for science. :D

77yLQy8.png

Gotta page Thai and see how many data points we need

• Like 1

ITT:

Muggiwhplar talks about accepting reality and achieving happiness.

NOXX talks about planes and hating fat people (and occasionally pop culture video games)

I'm glad we all have our niche

No, what i hate is people getting preferential treatment for some bullshit reason. And having an obese person pay for two tickets is not giving the other person preferential treatment, it's giving him the exact right treatment he paid for. Allowing a fat person to take up his own seat, and any portion (no matter how big or small) of a neighboring seat occupied by someone else is giving the fat person preferential treatment. 

But enough of that. I'm already sounding like Mojo-Jojo. Besied it's pretty clear that with my multi-cultural experiences, my views and opinions are likely to be a lot more realistic that the majority of people who probably never even left their own country, or even their own state.

i fly to texas pretty regularly, there are lots of fat people. i'll do an informal inventory next time

• Like 4

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I can see it now, there's an app for that

What do you mean?

Sweeping statements about why an entire demographic could do to be happy, while ignoring what they say makes them unhappy, not doing the research on it yourself because it might make you unhappy, and enforcing labels that simply are not adequate... which is part of what makes people in that demographic unhappy. Sort of the same vibe I get from a lot of religious speakers; it feels like it's more about validating your own happiness than it it about helping other people find theirs.

Also I'll take notes on passenger demographics next time I have to fly down to Arizona. Would the fact that it's the southwest skew the results, and will they even let me take a pencil on the plane? I'm pretty sure those are more dangerous than bottled water, after all.

What do you mean?

Sweeping statements about why an entire demographic could do to be happy, while ignoring what they say makes them unhappy, not doing the research on it yourself because it might make you unhappy, and enforcing labels that simply are not adequate... which is part of what makes people in that demographic unhappy. Sort of the same vibe I get from a lot of religious speakers; it feels like it's more about validating your own happiness than it it about helping other people find theirs.

Also I'll take notes on passenger demographics next time I have to fly down to Arizona. Would the fact that it's the southwest skew the results, and will they even let me take a pencil on the plane? I'm pretty sure those are more dangerous than bottled water, after all.

As long as you don't put too fine a point on that observation in front of say, the TSA officer at the security checkpoint, I think you'll be fine :-D.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

What do you mean?

The pencil is probably fine. Just sharpen it before you leave and don't break it because the sharpener probably isn't allowed.

What do you mean?

Are you implying that an entire demographic of people are exempt from basic success principles and happiness psychology? >_>

77yLQy8.png