Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Leoo

Today...

Individuals in various demographics are, yes.

But, ya know, we've already established you're not willing to accept that it's worthwhile to try and help equalize society because everyone should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, so I'm not really sure why anyone bothers with this debate.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Lost my job, already got interviews lined up for another job 2 weeks later.

This is a great time to be looking for a job too. You're gonna get paid so much

Yeah a lot of places pay more for the same job I was doing, best time of the year I guess to apply for jobs.

I see both angles in this argument and I don't think either side is holistically right or wrong. What really matters, however, is that I love OT tif and all the posters within

The Canadian federal election campaign officially begins today, with the Election set for October 19th. As of now I'm leaning towards the Conservatives, but the Liberals could win me back over with a well thought out and costed economic plan.

The Canadian federal election campaign officially begins today, with the Election set for October 19th. As of now I'm leaning towards the Conservatives, but the Liberals could win me back over with a well thought out and costed economic plan.

I say I'm in the same boat, but so many things I'd want the libs to change go against their core philosophy...

I don't like the conservatives, really...I just think they are by far the best option. Or at least, the least bad option...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I say I'm in the same boat, but so many things I'd want the libs to change go against their core philosophy...

I don't like the conservatives, really...I just think they are by far the best option. Or at least, the least bad option...

This is the story of politics in general.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

"Democracy is the worst system of government devised aside from those others we have tried." - Winston Churchill

Probably butchered it but that's fine.

Kinda sums up what is being said above there.

• Like 1

i fly to texas pretty regularly, there are lots of fat people. i'll do an informal inventory next time

Texas get's a pass, they got BBQ in their airports.  

• Like 1

tFtfA.jpg

i fly to texas pretty regularly, there are lots of fat people. i'll do an informal inventory next time

Texas get's a pass, they got BBQ in their airports.  

that explains a lot :lol:

On the other side of the fence, Stephen Harper might be the man who finally causes me (and my parents) to vote for the NDP. The fear mongering on terrorism, the bravado on the international stage, the absolute shambles that is Environment Canada and I expect most departments now, the muzzling of scientists (and I know that this topic isn't media sensationalism. A lot of my family work for the federal government in a fantastic variety of positions, which is also a pretty good admission that I was raised with a strong liberal bias).

Basically, anyone but Harper. My issue with the NDP is that as always, it's a leader without a party, but at this point, I'll probably throw my vote behind whoever I think has the best chance of winning to avoid contributing to a vote split.

Under Mister Harper, Canada led the charge in creating a failed state (Libya), and I don't think he should ever be forgiven for that, among other things. What Canada, and the rest of Nato, did to Libya is reprehensible.

Politics make me cringe. Not looking forward fall of 2016 for that reason

• Like 1

President Donald Trump, oh lord.

On the other side of the fence, Stephen Harper might be the man who finally causes me (and my parents) to vote for the NDP. The fear mongering on terrorism,

I'm assuming you're referring to C-51? I admit I'm not a fan of that legislation, but any government in power when something like the PH attacks happened would have done something similar.

the bravado on the international stage

What do you mean? If you're referring to the idea that Harper has ruined Canada's repuation on the international stage, that's been proven completely false on multiple occasions. Canada ranks just as highly in general public opinion across the globe as they ever did.

the absolute shambles that is Environment Canada and I expect most departments now, the muzzling of scientists (and I know that this topic isn't media sensationalism. A lot of my family work for the federal government in a fantastic variety of positions, which is also a pretty good admission that I was raised with a strong liberal bias).

Do you have any source for stating this other than a few first-hand accounts?

Basically, anyone but Harper. My issue with the NDP is that as always, it's a leader without a party, but at this point, I'll probably throw my vote behind whoever I think has the best chance of winning to avoid contributing to a vote split.

It's impossible to argue with this point of view because for the most part it's based on a personal, irrational dislike of SH the person, as opposed to deficient policy.

Under Mister Harper, Canada led the charge in creating a failed state (Libya), and I don't think he should ever be forgiven for that, among other things. What Canada, and the rest of Nato, did to Libya is reprehensible.

News flash: Libya was a failed state long before Harper took power. Obviously there is still an incredible amount of turmoil, but at least there is some hope now of achieving a semblance of democracy.

Is the NDP/Liberal foreign policy any better? Humanitarian aid is convenient for a few reasons: it's not controversial, so it's easy to appear to be doing something without doing anything useful and risking alienating people for doing something you disagree with. However, it's ultimately not effective. The kurds fighting ISIL don't need blankets, they need guns (same goes for the Ukrainian government, for instance). A government with the foreign policy ideas currently held by the NDP (and to a lesser extent the LPC) would be directly contributing to deaths of innocent people by failing to provide meaningful assistance.

The crux of the matter is that any party that's been in government for almost a decade is going to have to make tough decisions and be held accountable for them. It's easy for both the NDP and LPC to criticize Harpers record from an armchair; they have not had to make any of the tough calls. Leading an opposition and leading a government are two dramatically different things, and I have seen no evidence that suggests either the NDP or LPC are prepared to do the latter.

polvCwJ.gif

Although here in the US people largely care about the presidential campaign.

I personally believe that every president will do roughly the same policies as any other person so the individual doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Although here in the US people largely care about the presidential campaign.

I personally believe that every president will do roughly the same policies as any other person so the individual doesn't matter.

I really don't think that's the case..I can imagine us being in several more military endeavors (to put it lightly) if McCain had won 7 years ago, for example.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Nah McCain would've added Yemen, Libya and Syria to the bombing list if he was in charge just like Obama. I can't think of anywhere else that would be added - Ukraine? Yeah right no one wants a direct confrontation with Russia.

Obama has done everything a Republican president would've done.

More wars [x]

Hardest President ever on Immigration [x]

Socialized healthcare [x]*

anything else that the president had direct control over that might've changed if he wasn't in office? Gay rights? Nah that was the supreme court. 

*http://khn.org/news/gop-1993-health-reform-bill/

I can't wait for all the talk about why electing Hillary will change the world :lol: 

Could you imagine if Obama lost the election in 08. During this recent #blacklivesmatter campaign everyone would be lamenting that Obama surely would've fixed the problem of police violence and racism if we had just given him the chance :lol:

• Like 1

I don't know what they were thinking in regards to Libya, but at least we didn't get into another full-scale war and start to wind down the ones we're in. Nonetheless American foreign policy does still leave a lot to be desired in my eyes.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

The wars ended on bushes time schedule and those wars were only possible because of 9/11 no one wouldve dared declare war on lybia since there was no real support for it

I can't believe conservatives still support the Donald given some of his recent quotes

I can't believe conservatives still support the Donald given some of his recent quotes

I don't think he has mainstream support, just the fringe. With a race as fragmented as the republican nomination one it's easy to get in the lead with little support...isn't he only at 15-20%?

polvCwJ.gif

Yeah, he's around 20% and currently blotting out all other news. Probably as people get to know the other candidates and others drop out, someone will eventually pass him. It will be interesting to watch the debate Thursday...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png