Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Leoo

Today...

Randomly remembered some TIF nostalgia. Anybody remember our collective effort on Drawball? Good times.

Yeah, I remember that. It kind of died once they set up drawball 2 since some pretty nice art on the original drawball kept getting defaced...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

fgnevarforget.png

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Game of Thrones: very good.

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time. Also McConaughey should play an evil Bill Nye, and Bill Nye should play a good Bill Nye, in some blockbuster movie thing. That would be neat.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

no spoilers plz (can't watch till tomorrow)

polvCwJ.gif

Oh boy, you better get off the internet before it's too late

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Oh boy, you better get off the internet before it's too late

I can't believe that Robert Strong is Benjen Stark!

Luck be a Lady

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time.

Not quite but almost?

And yes if you are trying to avoid Thrones spoilers you absolutely will need to get off the internet until you watch it. That's not hyperbole.

Wow, I went back to page 1000 after seeing that pic with Goon posting on it.

Holy nostalgia.

That was FIVE YEARS AGO. So many of us talking about our days, first name basis, knowing so much about each other back then. It was honestly amazing to re-read where our lives were. Such a different time. I'm glad I stopped in for my yearly hello; it made me realize how incredible this community (and particular topic on these forums) really is. It's truly been a treat to be a part of it, and to grow with each and every one of you. :<3:

Cheers, to all of you, lads. If and when the day comes that these forums end up closing, I will personally host a space where we can all keep in touch.

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time.

Not quite but almost?

And yes if you are trying to avoid Thrones spoilers you absolutely will need to get off the internet until you watch it. That's not hyperbole.

uh was it that big? okay, no imgur or reddit for me today....

polvCwJ.gif

I have literally never heard a game of thrones spoiler, despite all the stupid hype about spoilers. And like, yeah, I don't watch the show, so maybe they're flying over my head, but it seems like if these spoilers were so prevalent that I would have at least seen one over the course the six millennia that show has been running.

I have literally never heard a game of thrones spoiler, despite all the stupid hype about spoilers. And like, yeah, I don't watch the show, so maybe they're flying over my head, but it seems like if these spoilers were so prevalent that I would have at least seen one over the course the six millennia that show has been running.

That reminds me. I have no interest in Fallout, but when the Fallout 4 ending was leaked prior to the release, there were lots of warnings about it around various places. It was annoying. I purposely looked for the ending as a result, but I failed in this quest after a minute or two, so I just gave up.

I still don't know how Fallout 4 ends, and it bothers me slightly. Not enough to spend more time searching, though. I'm sure it would be easy enough to clarify, but the initial failure was too much. It's best if I never know, I think.

ozXHe7P.png

You can't even really call it a spoiler.

Everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't going to stay dead.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn't care about spoilers? Does knowing who lives or dies or what happened before you actually watch the show really ruin the experience that much for you all?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn't care about spoilers? Does knowing who lives or dies or what happened before you actually watch the show really ruin the experience that much for you all?

Although I completely understand not liking spoilers, I'm not bothered by them, in honesty. Knowing points in advance lets me focus on the other portions of the media, which is nice. Especially for things that are good, but not good enough for me (totally subjective!) to revisit later. After all, a strong work (film, text, whatever) exists independently of surprise.

The Force Awakens was an exception, but I saw it on the release day and was planning to rewatch it anyway.

ozXHe7P.png

You can't even really call it a spoiler.

Everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't going to stay dead.

I mean, true, and they basically spoiled it themselves in the several months prior to the release. Considering how nobody would stop talking about it then, I can't imagine they would do so now.

That feeling of surprise is pretty fun though, at least if the work is actually worth it. A well-written twist will still have an impact even if you know it's coming, but it could maybe have more of one if you've really immersed yourself into trying to figure out what happens next.

Just imagine all of those people, day of release in theatres, going to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.... And the guy directing you to the screen room just says "Enjoy the show! And Darth Vader is Luke's Father!"

Imagine how much less enjoyable the whole movie would have been.

Spoilers *can* ruin the whole show/movie/book if they are big enough, but spoiling something trivial and overall not that important isn't a big deal.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Just imagine all of those people, day of release in theatres, going to see Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.... And the guy directing you to the screen room just says "Enjoy the show! And Darth Vader is Luke's Father!"

Imagine how much less enjoyable the whole movie would have been.

Spoilers *can* ruin the whole show/movie/book if they are big enough, but spoiling something trivial and overall not that important isn't a big deal.

That would imply that seeing Vader announce that he's Luke's father is the *only* reason to see the movie. That's one scene in a 2 hour long movie. Are you not at all interested in the buildup to that scene? Or the characters' reactions to the announcement? Or where the director decides to take the movie after that's been revealed?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Ehh... Nothing really happens in Empire outside of interaction with Yoda/Vader.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Yeah, as someone who knew all the original trilogy big twists before seeing the movies it didn't bother me at all. Probably would have been more dramatic, but overall no change.

I also had TFA spoiled for me with the news of the untimely death and that didn't effect the movie much as I still didn't know when, where, or why that happened.

• Like 1

haven't been posting much this week but as of Saturday I am a college graduate~~~ It's been a hell of a week, I've gone out 10 of the last 11 days but it's been super hard saying goodbyes to so many people. The hardest one was one of my roommates of 3 years leaving this morning.

today i'm stuck here waiting for a melee tournament so i can grab a power cord from a friend and i just do not know what to do with myself in the meantime lol, its 3 pm here and I still have yet to get off the couch

• Like 1

Try watching something like the movie Time Lapse. It's one of those movies that, if I had known how it ended, I don't think I would have bothered watching it at all, and I might never watch the movie again, because not knowing exactly what is going on is a huge part of how the story is told.

For a lot of stories, I don't think it matters, and for some it probably even makes it better. Like, I normally self spoil parts of TV shows because sometimes I recognize that answers are going to be a long time coming, and watching events come together can be more entertaining that watching the journey of discovery. I think the Vader example is a good one too, because it puts the fight between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor in an entirely new context, it changes the entire story, and you don't get the same impact if you get that information in spoiler form, and you don't get to enjoy the first story, the one that exists before the reveal. You only ever get the second story, the one with all the context filled in.

From my standpoint, if a work can only be properly enjoyed this first time, it's a gimmick and the work itself most probably isn't worth any time investment to begin within.

Good works remain rewarding upon repeated readings or viewings or hearings or what-have-you. Bad works don't.

(And I knew the general plot-line to Star Wars before I watched it in full for the first time a few years ago. It was still enjoyable. Would it have been more enjoyable for the first viewing...? Maybe, but I feel that's a pointless metric.)

ozXHe7P.png

No matter the quality of the work, there's a huge difference between a first viewing and a second and a tenth. When you come back to a work, you're viewing everything that happened in a different light with different goals. If you know what's going to happen, it no longer is a situation of suspense where you wonder if the heroes will make it and how, but a situation of reflection on how these events impacted the future.

So a spoiler, a truly big spoiler that matters, is gonna be something that changes that first viewing to be like a second viewing. It'll ruin the "will they" or the "how". And I think you're wrong to claim that any work which relies on suspense to tell it's story is somehow gimmicky. Suspense and intrigue are vital parts of story telling.

• Like 1

There is one person who can tell you exactly what is going to happen and yet leave you completely terrified, and that would be Edgar Allan Poe.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.