Today...

Leoo

We're really far off from a "one trial proves innocence or guilt" system. I'm not entirely convinced that's going to be possible ever, tbh.

That's why it's "my perfect world" idea, I realise that it I'd nearly impossible. However, in the case of somebody like the Charleston Shooter I think its pretty obvious where the guilt or innocence lies based on his own actions and statements.

Today, I got my first shave in over a year.

Feels so weird.

Left my moustache on, so that it would be not THAT sharp, but I had a full beard for over a year...

Also, I don't support death penalty.

And, got me tickets for a vacation in Georgia!!!!!!@@@@ (The country, not the state. Don't know anything that I'd like in that state)

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

How long is an appropriate amount of time before you decide you don't like anything about a job and start looking for a new one? A year? 6 months? Because I'm super ready to move on...

I've seen people quit on day one after seeing what the job is really like. If you have other references and you don't burn your bridges just leave as soon as you can financially do so if you really hate your job

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

It's not even the possibility of them being innocent that bothers me. It's just kinda dumb to kill people in general.

I don't know, personally I'm for the death penalty but only from an economic standpoint and if it can be carried out efficiently. For example, with a person like the Charleston shooter who is clearly guilty and even admits it himself why shouldn't he receive the death sentence? The alternative option is that we, speaking generally for the tax paying people, bear the burden of supporting this man through his life and paying for all of his meals, medical visits, clothing, etc... He honestly has no chance at parole and would have received a sentence which would keep him in jail for the remainder of his living days anyway, so why prolong the cost? 

That being said I feel like it should almost be more of a clause that can be provoked rather than a sentence to seek. Try the person for whatever crime they have committed, once it becomes clear beyond any shred of doubt - in this instance the accused's own admittance of guilt, especially with no remorse - that he was aware of his actions and that he will spend the remainder of his days in some form of incarceration, then the crown or another party could start a process to have him sentenced to death. I don't want innocent people, or people who truly regret their crime and may have another chance at life to die but even a jail sentence does nothing to a man who considers his actions right and won't take the time in jail to reflect on his crime or reform himself.

Cuz killing people is whack

@Bonez: The other issue is that your hypothetical scenario (in which we can be completely sure that the courts have gotten it right) is just that; hypothetical. If capital punishment were to only be allowed in these cases, I suspect the cost of even maintaining the infrastructure to do so would be prohibitively high for how few of these cases there would actually be.

Another interesting fact is that capital punishment does not seem to act as a deterrent; at least no moreso than long-term imprisonment. Not that anyone brought it up, but it's still interesting.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I believe killing is only possibly justifiable in self-defense.

The state should not have the authority to end the life of any citizen or non-citizen. It is the grossest violation of individual autonomy possible and thus morally and ethically reprehensible.

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

The state should not have the authority to end the life of any citizen or non-citizen. It is the grossest violation of individual autonomy possible and thus morally and ethically reprehensible.

Agreed. When it comes to non-citizens, you open a whole other can of worms as well. For example, the US is currently waging a completely illegal war in Syria at Obama's behest (it was never sanctioned by congress); not to mention drone strikes in other countries.

polvCwJ.gif

Agreed. When it comes to non-citizens, you open a whole other can of worms as well. For example, the US is currently waging a completely illegal war in Syria at Obama's behest (it was never sanctioned by congress); not to mention drone strikes in other countries.
As I understand it, America hasn't been in a war since ww2. Everything since has been executive actions, even after the maximum 6 weeks or whatever that the president is supposed to use to seek approval from Congress.

Source: my high school Poli sci class

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

It's only war when all parties wear uniforms right?

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

As I understand it, America hasn't been in a war since ww2. Everything since has been executive actions, even after the maximum 6 weeks or whatever that the president is supposed to use to seek approval from Congress.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure congress authorized the Iraq War, though (not that they should have). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

polvCwJ.gif

Interesting. I'm pretty sure congress authorized the Iraq War, though (not that they should have). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

That's also where I went as soon as I got home and could do some actual research :P

From that wiki article, it looks like my polisci teacher was correct: America hasn't "declared war" by the legal process since WW2. Authorization being a different process, if only by legal semantics. I mean, honestly, I'd probably count everything on that page as a war, and would probably also say that congress supported all of them, if they provided funding for them. For good or bad.

I hate how much America's military matters. Ugh.

That's also where I went as soon as I got home and could do some actual research :P

From that wiki article, it looks like my polisci teacher was correct: America hasn't "declared war" by the legal process since WW2. Authorization being a different process, if only by legal semantics. I mean, honestly, I'd probably count everything on that page as a war, and would probably also say that congress supported all of them, if they provided funding for them. For good or bad.

Ahh, I see. Still, I guess Syria remains an anomaly since to my knowledge congress has yet to vote on it in any form...

polvCwJ.gif

Ahh, I see. Still, I guess Syria remains an anomaly since to my knowledge congress has yet to vote on it in any form...

Oh wait, that was a different link than I thought it was lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war_by_the_United_States

But yeah, there's a few instances where the president made an executive action, and either things were too quick to require approval from Congress, or it just never happened for whatever reason. I remember talking about them, once upon a time. I'm...less versed now though.

I spoke too soon! Now I'm really not looking forward to January 20th! Can you guess why???

How is golden-showergate treating you?

Like him or hate him the fake news that has been surrounding him especially from left leaning news agencies has been pretty outrageous

What? Are you serious? Out of 35 pages, only a couple paragraphs discuss Trump's sexual behavior (about one page worth total, relatively; I just double-checked). This bullshit with the brandification and trivilizaiton of concepts (e.g., "Brexit") is juvenile. Stop it.

No news organization has said the document is accurate. The news organizations have reported that a dossier was provided, that Obama and Trump were briefed on the dossier, and that McCain provided the dossier to the FBI. What did you read?

Personally, I'm concerned whether or not the dossier is accurate. I'm concerned with the outcome regardless of the accuracy. If it's not accurate, Trump's administration will leverage it as a means to wrongly further weaken faith in journalism (advance: journalism is not a synonym for 'the media'). This reduces his accountability tremendously, and makes his administration opaque. If it's accurate, Trump is a shill for Russia and Mike Pence will ascend to the role of President, and frighteningly Pence will get more done along party lines than Trump ever would.

I wouldn't be surprised to find faith in the United States political establishment will be dramatically eroded if this issue persists for long, regardless of its accuracy.

Nuance, get some.

ozXHe7P.png

When Trump is president golden showers will be mandatory and tiny handed people will get most of the tax breaks.

brb buying hand-shrinking machine and hazmat suit

polvCwJ.gif

From the limited research I've done about the topic the media was not just accusing trump but also prominent republicans including one who has not visited Russia at all :lol:. 

Please show me which media outlets accused Trump.

Because The New York Times didn't, The Washington Post didn't, CNN didn't, NPR didn't, BBC didn't...

(Even the definitely left-leaning anti-Trump independent media outlet I subscribe too, Democracy Now!, didn't. But that's expected because despite being obviously biased, they're still reputable.)

I feel like journalism has been dead for 20 years with the rise of the cable news networks who realized that polarizing coverage instead of impartial coverage lead to greater ratings. Then with the rise of the internet all it takes to spread propaganda (for any side) is by having a click bait title and an infuriating story.

You confuse journalism with mass media. Cable news networks are not journalism, they are mass media. They report the news for an only hour and then report their opinions for twenty-three.

ozXHe7P.png

When Trump is president golden showers will be mandatory and tiny handed people will get most of the tax breaks.

Im not ok with getting peed on but I do have small hands so that's great news
  • Like 1

Finally got me Steam controller. It takes some getting used to, and I do not necessarily agree with the abxy position, but it feels like a solid piece of kit. If only it had in-built rechargeable battery...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Wireless controllers are heaven.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

The right trackpad is too close to abxy and the abxy buttons are too close to each other and a bit too small. I often ended up swiping or clicking the right trackpad when I wanted to press b. The squeezable buttons feel a bit awkward and flimsy.

Ain't had too much time for it today, gotta put it through some more paces (DIRT rally, for example) tomorrow and update.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc