Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Leoo

Today...

As a Canadian I am severely worried about Trump being elected. How will this affect the maple syrup production? When is he building the wall? How long should I wait before WW3 begins?

/s

I know this could have a huge impact, however given that he doesn't even take office for another 2+ months I think that you should take a deep breath and relax until January.

That's literally what disrespect means though

On a personal level yes and I don't treat trans people I know personally like that.

But on a societal level what general society is obligated to accept its just that trans people have the rights to live without violence or discrimination, not [bleep]ing proper pronoun usage or theoretical understanding of the sex gender divide and how the theory around it differs from today verses from when Simone De Beavoir proposed it.

TIL that Ring is a racist bigoted butt head

(I jest, I actually respect political opinion because it's your freedom to feel whatever the hell you want even if I disagree)

Thank you Obfuscator for your posts they've been great, despite me usually disagreeing with you (as far as I remember anyway)

And yes this all feels so very reminiscent of the 2004 election when I was horrified to see Bush win again, because that went so well.

2nd edit: I've also told myself that enough Republicans might hate trump enough to keep him in check but God damn it does that seem unlikely at this point

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

That's literally what disrespect means though

On a personal level yes and I don't treat trans people I know personally like that.

But on a societal level what general society is obligated to accept its just that trans people have the rights to live without violence or discrimination, not [bleep]ing proper pronoun usage or theoretical understanding of the sex gender divide and how the theory around it differs from today verses from when Simone De Beavoir proposed it.

We can't live without violence or discrimination if we aren't even allowed the chance to define ourselves on our own terms. This is little better than an echo chamber; one that doesn't even consider the very people it affects.

You can't have it both ways. Acceptance means nothing if you're also rejecting the very foundation that acceptance is based on, or setting the terms for the people you're allegedly accepting of without their say. This is terrifying, coming from you. :v

Completely unrelated:

Does anyone know a good file manager for Unix-likes? I use XFCE on FreeBSD, but Thunar crashes way too often. It seems a bug with file sort order changing, and it hasn't been fixed properly.

I've been using KDE for a while, and Dolphin works pretty well for me. It was good (or maybe familiar) enough to make it onto my netbook when I was running Fluxbox.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

not [bleep]ing proper pronoun usage

Why not?

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

(I jest, I actually respect political opinion because it's your freedom to feel whatever the hell you want even if I disagree)

Thank you Obfuscator for your posts they've been great, despite me usually disagreeing with you (as far as I remember anyway)

And yes this all feels so very reminiscent of the 2004 election when I was horrified to see Bush win again, because that went so well.

2nd edit: I've also told myself that enough Republicans might hate trump enough to keep him in check but God damn it does that seem unlikely at this point

No problem....

Anyway, I get what you're saying about bush, but really; what did he do in his second term that was so awful? The Iraq war was already underway (that was a first term thing) and the financial crisis was not really *his* fault. I just think it's easy to get sucked into overreaction to every little thing a politician does when you don't align with them (I've certainly fallen into this trap before) but their actual policies end up not being nearly as bad as the initial panic projects.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

No problem....

Anyway, I get what you're saying about bush, but really; what did he do in his second term that was so awful? The Iraq war was already underway (that was a first term thing) and the financial crisis was not really *his* fault. I just think it's easy to get sucked into overreaction to every little thing a politician does when you don't align with them (I've certainly fallen into this trap before) but their actual policies end up not being nearly as bad as the initial panic projects.

My Bush issue is No Child Left Behind.

No problem....

My Bush issue is No Child Left Behind.

Not great policy, sure....but something that had bipartisan support and could have easily been implemented under a democrat.

polvCwJ.gif

Completely unrelated:

Does anyone know a good file manager for Unix-likes? I use XFCE on FreeBSD, but Thunar crashes way too often. It seems a bug with file sort order changing, and it hasn't been fixed properly.

I've been using KDE for a while, and Dolphin works pretty well for me. It was good (or maybe familiar) enough to make it onto my netbook when I was running Fluxbox.

Dolphin doesn't have a FreeBSD maintainer and thus isn't in ports or the binary package manager. Ugh.

ozXHe7P.png

Today I am working on converting a (lat,long, alt) based coordinate system to (x,y,z)

So in the first example (0,0,0) would be on the prime meridian, the equator, and at sea level. 

Whereas the (x,y,z) would assume earths core is (0,0,0) and have to find a vector from that to a point on the surface

So this is pretty straight forward when given an ellipsoid so for Earth and Mars this works great. The problem is with a body like Vesta where you can't assume its an ellipsoid for measurements. 

Clearly pointing out that gay/trans/Muslim/illegal immigrants should be legally protected is bad. 

People wonder why the echo chamber was loud enough to block out a trump victory and I'm pointing out reasons for a cultural push back as well as why the rural poor support renegotiating trade. But by all means stick your finger in your ear and shout "LA LA LA Ring is a bad guy".

People ask why there is a push back and I am giving the honest reasons as someone who is fairly liberal and who does have people who are close to me that are trans, Muslim, and undocumented.

I have every reason to sit there and wonder how anyone can oppose these groups but I bothered to ask people and am telling you the answers your not happy to hear.

Why not?

Because you should understand, acknowledge and accept that most of the country will never support trans people. That when you force people do things they will never accept you get push back.

Where as if the fight is just about their right survive and thrive without worrying about getting fired for their gender expression even the most hard line conservative evangelical christian will support that.

I mean are you really surprised to hear that. Do you really think I'm wrong about this.

Edit:

Do I personally use proper pronouns? yes

Do I personally invest time and effort to learn different theories on gender? yes

Do I personally acknowledge and accept trans people? yes

So when you argue this stuff to me your missing the point. It's not about what I think societies relationship is with trans people, its an acknowledgement that much of the country is not on board with what is already there and pushing it further causes them to push back just as hard.

And there is absolutely a part of the movement which shames the people who publicly state they don't support it and regardless of how morally righteous your cause is, thats bullshit.

Despite quoting me Ring, I think you missed the parenthetical part of my post, so long as you're telling people they aren't listening, but I digress.

My thing is that you should take every opportunity to spread tolerance and sympathy as well as empathy and knowledge. Compromise is fine by me

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Despite quoting me Ring, I think you missed the parenthetical part of my post, so long as you're telling people they aren't listening, but I digress.

My thing is that you should take every opportunity to spread tolerance and sympathy as well as empathy and knowledge. Compromise is fine by me

stop spreading your tolerance on me!!!11!!

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

Why not?

Because you should understand, acknowledge and accept that most of the country will never support trans people.

Why not?

Because a good majority of the people who live here weren't raised to be tolerant of those people. The same way people weren't tolerant of black people until our generation. Even our parents generation isn't unanimously accepting of blacks.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Because a good majority of the people who live here weren't raised to be tolerant of those people. The same way people weren't tolerant of black people until our generation. Even our parents generation isn't unanimously accepting of blacks.

That hardly points to "never" finding widespread acceptance.

Why not?

Because you should understand, acknowledge and accept that most of the country will never support trans people.

Why not?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No, it doesn't, and everything with time will be 'accepted' to some extent probably. Where do you live? If you live in a big blue city/state, it might be hard to imagine that people don't like trans and gay people. If you lived in a poor, rural, red town/state, you might see things a bit differently. Those people aren't so progressive. 

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

No, it doesn't, and everything with time will be 'accepted' to some extent probably. Where do you live? If you live in a big blue city/state, it might be hard to imagine that people don't like trans and gay people. If you lived in a poor, rural, red town/state, you might see things a bit differently. Those people aren't so progressive.
I live in Nebraska, one of the most rural, red states in the country. I am well aware what queer prejudice looks like. I still refuse to accept the notion that trans people shouldn't expect to have their genders respected. No matter how people were raised.

To answer your question I believe that they wont ever be fully accepted due to being a population that will always remain very small. Around 1%. A population whos values don't conform to conversative values - which tend to remain similar for centuries.

And while a well organized movement can very easily achieve complete legal protection I don't believe they can overturn centuries old conservative views.

Especially in communities where most people will never meet a trans person and see that they're just people trying to live their lives like anyone else. With populations that grow its easy to fix this.

On the subject of transgender people being such a small minority: that's why it's so important the rest of us to help them as much as we can. One percent of the population is never going being represented in a democracy without a lot of help from the 99%.

Also, schizophrenia patients make up about 1% of the population as well and they're in a situation that's just as dire. As a country, we desperately need to advocate for the mentally ill a lot more than we currently do. A mental illness shouldn't have a 10-15% mortality rate from suicide alone.

Yeah we absolutely need to fix the fact that mental hospitals release sick people who end up on streets to save money. 

I don't have the statistics but some overwhelming majority of homeless are mentally ill.

It's a bit more complicated than mental hospitals releasing sick people.

There simply aren't adequate out-patient services in a lot of places, and in-patient services are only a truly viable solution in extreme cases.

No to mention the costs. I take a medication that is $600 a month. I go to therapy every 1-2 weeks, and have medication management appointments every few months. But I can only do that because I was rather lucky and receive Medicare and Medicaid!

Without these services, my symptoms would be unmanageable.

ozXHe7P.png