Leoo

Today...

I don't know what they are on about either. The stuff was on CNN for a week+ solid and to the point where it was starting to make me feel depressed after many of these. I'm not sure how else they could cover it more extensively. If anything they underreport terrorism incidents in non-Western countries.

I'm not surprised about the drought of tourists though - who wants to be caught up in the aftermath and confusion of one of these attacks? At this point it requires another level of accounting for more time, money, travel insurance and most people will just go somewhere else.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Maybe you should just ban cars and alcohol? They kill a helluva lot more American proud people than any terrorist ever could.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Think we tried that, didn't go to well...the main problem is when the two get mixed, unfortunately.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Sleep is good. Sleep is required. Need more sleep. But wörk wörk wörk at 7 AM...

Got my new basketball shoes. Needed ones actually, wore the old ones out about 2 years ago. But the current new offerings by Nike are ugly as [bleep], so got a pair of 2014 design shoes. I had 4 pairs of 2011 Nike Zoom Hyperfuses earlier, the red and white ones. Yet to play with new ones though, our hall is closed for the week due to some international competitions inside.

Also, freaking cold. Was -26 here last night and meteorological station that's 1,6 km's away says it is -16.2 right now...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Also, freaking cold. Was -26 here last night and meteorological station that's 1,6 km's away says it is -16.2 right now...

Canada is as cold as Estonia!? Its -16.1 here right now discounting wind chill.

It's 71 F (22 C) here in my area of North Carolina.

ozXHe7P.png

Maybe you should just ban cars and alcohol? They kill a helluva lot more American proud people than any terrorist ever could.

How about we stop completely subsidizing the corn industry so that we can stop stuffing everything with high fructose corn syrup and maybe 600,000 people won't die of heart disease every year

While I personally don't agree with banning Muslims or people from predominately Muslim countries I do want to point out that this is an apples to oranges comparison.

Cars have a an unbelievably important impact on ones ability to travel as well as the economy at large. Society is willing to put up with the tens of thousands of deaths yearly because cars are a net gain to our lives.

Alcohol is legal for similar reasons. Alcohol was banned within a decade after women's suffrage was introduced in EU and America. Especially in America the voting demographics were especially polarized by gender and the justifications for banning alcohol were to solve gender based problems such as spousal abuse. Eventually gender roles changed and women were invited to drink illegally with the men and society at large discovered with no great shock that the ban did nothing to solve the social problems so the popularity of such a law faded. This will happen with drug laws eventually although the ideological beliefs about drugs are much more polarized because they have no historical place in our culture - as in Ye Olde peasent wasn't smoking weed in 987 AD. 

I'm aware that my explanations for why prohibition happened differ from your history books so feel free to ask my sources on the above.

As far as immigration lets discuss the benefits and costs of this.

Benefits:

• First off, prestige is a clear benefit. German can let in millions of Syrians to show how they aren't evil nazi's anymore. As can Sweden to show how progressive they are.
  • Another is brain gain, typical rich powerful countries have visa programs to encourage exceptional citizens of less powerful countries to enter and work and pay taxes to the more powerful country.
  • Another is population offset, this has several advantages - if your a country you can offset existing voting blocks by letting in people who vote a certain way which allows your political party to grow. Another benefit is that a population who isn't having enough kids to sustain economic growth can be offset by letting in populations who live in a culture that encourages them to have lots of kids.

Costs:

• First off population offset, letting people of another culture in a democracy means voters will vote as a block in a different way which means that policies you care about can get shafted to appeal to voters of that new block. 
  • Another is culture offset, letting people of another culture can impact elements of your culture you find important. For example in Iran there is a sizable minority of Armenians living there. Those Armenians tend to home brew alcohol and eat pork, the Iranian government has to deal with Muslim populations living near Armenians being exposed to elements of a culture that they disagree with which long term can impact the culture for the nation at large.
  • Another is transfer of responsibility, if your population isn't having kids a government may want to address the issues parents non parents have with becoming parents but have no incentive to do so if they can just import people. Maybe paternal rights are a problem, maybe women feel that jobs offer no avenue for advancement to mothers, maybe kids are expensive and people can't afford it. Theres lots of issues like this but in this specific example both Germany and Japan suffer from it but Japan will have to resolve it eventually due to their unwillingness to have more open immigration
  • Another is blowback, if your a big aggressive country you make enemies with people you've walked over along the way. This leads to people who aren't motivated in accepting a new national identity but looking for revenge. An open immigration policy can easily let in such people.

On the whole I think in most peoples eyes the prestige and brain gain benefits outweigh the cost, especially for people on the left. So banning groups isn't welcome.

How about we stop completely subsidizing the corn industry so that we can stop stuffing everything with high fructose corn syrup and maybe 600,000 people won't die of heart disease every year

God, Central-Western Nebraska would just disappear. Like, there's only 6 people living there as is, what would they do if farming were suddenly not profitable?

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

God, Central-Western Nebraska would just disappear. Like, there's only 6 people living there as is, what would they do if farming were suddenly not profitable?

I thought we were paying a substantial amount in farm subsidies so farmers do not grow as much corn and other food intentionally. Or do I somehow have it backwards?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I thought we were paying a substantial amount in farm subsidies so farmers do not grow as much corn and other food intentionally. Or do I somehow have it backwards?

That's a separate thing. As I understand it, the US government subsidizes crops so that corn tends to be more valuable to grow than, say, wheat, which is why the rural midwest is basically just cornfields. They also subsidize a certain number of fallow fields to manufacture a reasonable supply:demand ratio and to prevent overfarming leading to things like the Dust Bowl.

Disclaimer: I'm not a farmer, I just live here. I definitely don't know the specifics.

Farming subsidies dont have any environmental considerations but are merely a way to pay back a valuable voting block.

Farming subsidies dont have any environmental considerations but are merely a way to pay back a valuable voting block.

I mean, it's definitely the latter part, yes, but there absolutely are environmental/economic considerations that go into them too...

Supposed to get 7-14 inches of snow tomorrow, starting at 5 am. I have no expectations of going to work tomorrow. I'll be very sad if I end up working.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Today I went to the mall, and pre-ordered Halo Wars 2 at the Microsoft Store :D.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

Man, this is why people don't report abuse.

It's been nearly 2 months since the incident and the perpetrator STILL lives directly opposite me, in all my classes, is befriending my ex deliberately and hasn't been reprimanded in any way. 2 weeks ago I developed extreme anxiety with reference to the situation, throwing up, bowel problems, low blood pressure and poor circulation and then I got better. I realised I didn't want him to have that level of control over me to the point where I'm not functioning. I made a conscious determined decision to be positive and happy. To ignore my problems as best as I can while they're not being dealt with, but while it's not causing me anxiety at the moment, it's genuinely a bit frustrating that nothing is being done.

By the time something's done, we won't even be at University anymore and I'll have had to deal with all of this in vain.

I went to a talk on domestic violence yesterday, and the sister of a woman who was strangled to death came to speak to us. It was obviously devastating, and my heart honestly broke. I don't know why we rank abuse - loads of people stay in verbally abusive situations because I guess (in my case) I thought "Well, he didn't hit me, right?"

But that naivety led to me staying in a situation where he did worse than hit me, and I don't want to hate myself about it but it's still so anger-inducing knowing that sometimes there just is no such thing as justice in cases like this.

• Like 1

I've been trying to grow my own refugees in my bathtub, but so far there's been no progress.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

The first day we have real snow, my property manager is stuck in Chicago.  And he didn't tell my landlord he was going to be in Chicago, so he called me and asked me to clear the driveway and not to tell the landlord that he wasn't around.  So of course I did it because that's just who I am.

Even though we got something like 18 inches of snow it wasn't too bad since it was light snow.  But the whole "Having a property manager who takes care of all lawn mowing and snow removal" thing was kind of a big selling point on why I live here.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Yeah I feel you. My roomate's dad's friend is our landlord and our dishwasher wasn't working last night so my roomate suggests we buy a bucket (yeah I don't know what that was supposed to mean either). I pull out my lease and say the landlord should pay to fix it, but my roomate says "yeah but Id understand if she didn't want to pay it and made us get a new one" to which I said "I don't give a [bleep] what she wants to pay for, it's in our lease that's she's legally obligated to pay for it".

Thankfully it turned out that a fuse popped and that's why the dishwasher wasn't functioning. Because it took 2 damn months to convince my landlord to pay for plumbing prior to this. Cause I wasn't about to wash dishes by hand again like some kind of savage.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Sounds like at that point it might be better to hire someone yourself and deduct it from the rent.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Just saw the Lego Batman movie. Lego Joker is better than the garbage that Jared Leto gave us.

• Like 1

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I think Saq might be trying to hack me guys...  :huh:

36fCCLA.png

Just kidding. It's not even a real IP address!

• Like 6

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Nah, my ip starts with 81.

At parents house, second grandma is visiting us...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc