Leoo

Today...

I have a normal diet of bagels and bourbon

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I went to an event a couple of weeks ago and the event's page finally uploaded the pictures taken that night onto their Facebook page. I scrolled through them and stumbled upon a picture of a girl that used to go to school with me back in South Africa. Sent her a message on Facebook and turns out she moved to Qatar about 5 months ago. She's one of those girls who was very average looking in High School but turned into a solid 9. She works for Qatar Airways as an air hostess so she spends more time out of the country than in it, but she's very keen on meeting up when she's back. I think it would be fun "reconnecting" with someone from my home town again.

Diet is such a difficult thing to navigate, and we've done nothing as a society to make it easier on ourselves. On the one side, we keep declaring certain things to be blanket good or bad (only to find out later that we did so with a 'four humors' level of understanding of nutritional science), and on the other end food companies have incredible leeway to be misleading or omit details about what is in our food (if they aren't outright lying). So you're stuck trying to figure out who is giving the least wrong nutritional advice while also trying to figure out what it is you're actually eating. I think even for people who can afford to be choosy about what they consume, they just give up trying to sort it out and eat whatever.

That's not to say that we shouldn't be trying to figure this stuff out. Just, the more we learn the more obvious it seems to be that nutrition is a proper medical field, and should be treated as such; not some headline fodder pseudo science.

If I had to take a stab at what medical blunder we will be ridiculed for by future generations, not taking nutrition seriously would certainly make my list of potential nominations.

• Like 1

I just eat what I want to eat so long as it's around whatever my calorie requirements are for the day.

ozXHe7P.png

Kosher is definitely a healthy diet in the general principles however you can eat sweets in every meal and still be kosher but not healthy.

I bring up kosher as a diet because it takes a degree of mental energy to maintain a kosher diet in a culture where the typical diet breaks their rules (much like veganism) but that simply following the kosher rules doesn't guarantee someone is eating the proper macros and micros. As I said with the sweets example, its still possible to over/under eat, its still possible to misproportion plates, etc. 

And among my jewish and vegan friends their diet on the whole can be as healthy or unhealthy as the average joe shmoe's of the world

I realize Im not doing a good job explaining myself, but the tl;dr is diets are complicated and its possible to follow a "healthy" diet unhealthily and still be worse off than average joe who has mcdonalds once a week.

I mean, I do not oppose veganism or the smart vegans who do know what they are doing and do not preach that stuff.

What annoys me are the stupid tag-alongs who have been vegan for about a year or less, don't really know that much about nutrition and stuff and get on everybody else's asses without provocation. I mean I had to block a person as she (almost always a she) started to send me private messages about how can I eat meat and how I should be a vegan like she is.

Also, pro-vegan claims like:

1) eating meat fills your brain's blood vessels

2) 14 out of 15 deaths occur due to meat consumption

3)  humans have never ever needed meat and it is not natural to eat it

and other such ridiculous claims.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

1) eating meat fills your brain's blood vessels

I guess this is where the term "meathead" comes from

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Noooo... that word comes from "All in the Family" where Archie Bunker repeatadly calls his son in law, "Meathead." Also, brain eating zombies for example might have hunger for human flesh because they are so lacking in brain power.

I have made incredible progress on my secret project. Over 700 hours logged since late September, plus another few hundred hours collecting data, researching and designing, and running expensive computations on my desktop (only a broad estimate). Today I finished the initial core functionality of a major feature. It passes all the unit tests, so tomorrow I'll integrate it into the module proper.

I expect to launch it within the next few weeks. After the current module (2 weeks or so), I have to develop a web front-end (I'd say two weeks or so, I only need a small control panel of sorts). Even though I normally hate web development, I'm looking actually forward to that part because I'll be using MoonScript (a language that compiles to Lua) via OpenResty. The awesome part is I'll be able to use a custom IPC protocol that my project uses via OpenResty because they both are built on LuaJIT! So this means the logic for the control panel will be very simple; pretty much just a front-end for the management events sent over my protocol.

I'm very excited. It's feels like when I was a kid on Christmas Eve. But I'm also worried about it failing...

edit: Also here's a fresh loaf of the chocolate coffee bread:

2Tr0EmC.jpg

I drizzled a little chocolate glaze, too.

ozXHe7P.png

I thought the chocolate coffee bread was the secret project?

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You have to decrypt the coffee beans first

What are you doing the control panel in? MoonScript seems more like a web backend kind of thing, unless you're compiling it to js too

The control panel will be a separate module with a simple web UI (HTML + CSS + JavaScript) front-end and the MoonScript/OpenResty back-end (serving the web UI, exposing a REST API). The module itself is a front-end to the project, which is a combination of C++ and MoonScript  running across multiple machines and communicating via a nifty protocol I developed. I'm not using MoonScript on the "front-end" front-end (i.e., the simple web UI).

The project is a bunch of loosely-coupled modules processing large amounts of data to makes decisions, which in turn generates more data, etc.  My testing environment is unsuitable for an actual product.  I literally have to run "bmashina -e foo.bar.baz" if I want to execute the task "foo.bar.baz," for example, and that's only manageable during testing on a single machine. If I want to supply arguments, I have to write a task that wraps "foo.bar.baz" and passes new arguments. I need a single point to handle all this much more efficiently, and that's what the control panel will be.

ozXHe7P.png

Messing with drivers' school gets old fast. Real fast.

Also, my basketball season ended. We lost the second game on play-offs...

I need to exercise and train more.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

is your secret project a time machine by any chance?

I'm good, but not good enough to hack time!

ozXHe7P.png

Today I played some Halo 5 with friends under Legendary and got stomped pretty hard lol.

In Halo Wars 2 though, I think I've won almost all of my PvP games over the past week. I'm getting a good hang of it, and eventually I should probably do Ranked if I can keep this going.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

Nah, works been busy and then I get home and play the new Hearthstone expansion. Haven't been compulsively checking TIF as much as usual

I need to study for drivers' exam tomorrow...

Also, found out I might just need to hit the knife again. Shortly. And lose a chunk of my foot.

Yay me.

EDIT: Also, that moment when it is difficult to get a good x-ray of your lungs. Because your back is too wide. Has to be taken in landscape mode.

#firstworldproblems

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I'm having social anxiety problems and I need someone to look at this email and tell me if the...networking(?) stuff is okay, because I literally can't tell.

Dear [former supervisor],

It looks like I either lost, or never received, my 2016 W-2 for [old company]. Do you know who I need to contact to get that reissued/resent?

In personal news, I'm really startin' to get into the swing of things here at [current company]. We just had our semi-annual agency workshops, a bunch of different insurance agencies and underwriters flying in to watch seminars and talks about insurance. The free food was nice, but I gotta say, it wasn't nearly as fun as making a minigolf hole, lol.

How is everything going for you at [old company]? Anything new and exciting going down in your world?

Sincerely,

Tyler

The reason I'm asking for tax documents a week before taxes are due (instead of earlier) is 100% because of this [bleep]ing email. Ugh.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Sounds good as long as you made a minigolf hole with him

Though if you just want a form, I'd nix the networking stuff and just ask them to send it to you.

Also I usually try to say something like "Could you please send it to me or put me in contact with someone who can?", i.e. prompting them to help you rather than hinting at it

Sounds good as long as you made a minigolf hole with him

Though if you just want a form, I'd nix the networking stuff and just ask them to send it to you.

Also I usually try to say something like "Could you please send it to me or put me in contact with someone who can?", i.e. prompting them to help you rather than hinting at it

Okay, thank you

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Yeah I'd call up and say "hey where is my w-2 at, you seen it?" But I'm from Philly region, so...not much need to be friendly.

Today I got accepted into my new neighborhoods facebook page for block parties and that shit. Hopefully that'll be fun. Bunch of mild white families though so unlikely. We'll see. Also a good chance to see how well my girlfriend and I can mesh among neighbors. Solid testing ground before we buy a house some day

I'd change the order, if you had a good relationship with the person and everything - personal stuff first, how are things going, then ask for the W-2 form. Or just get rid of it completely if not - you don't want them to start reading, throw it out, and miss the point. Make sure and put something like "2016 W-2 form for [your name]" in the subject line too, especially if since it may well be forwarded and you don't want it to get bogged down like a game of telephone.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.