Today...

Leoo

I'll go with a comically oversized police badge neck slot item.

You'll get mentioned as a comment on the item in the GameDB! Yay :P.

That's okay, I'm not really worried about credit for a mediocre at best pun. Especially since someone else had the exact same pun like 5 minutes later

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Turns out, omaha doesn't have a staples. It has a staples distribution center, but no retail store.

That was an obnoxious 15 minute drive.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I told my colleague at work that I thought it would hit 100 today. And guess what, the high was *exactly* 100...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I once drove 40 minutes to a restaurant to find out that it was actually the HQ, and not a place you could eat. Was sad.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Just because something is easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to others. You're essentially asking people to ignore every biological instinct they have, and years of specific social conditioning, in the interest of politeness. Clearly not being an [wagon] deliberately is a good thing, but it's not like you're asking someone to call you by a nickname.

I feel like the presumption is, if you thought the request had merit, you would at least make an effort to honour it.

I expect that most people understand that mistakes will be made, and if not, that's their problem, not yours. It's sort of like making an effort to learn how to pronounce an unusual name. I'm game to try and learn anyone's name, as long as they understand that their language might contain sounds I can't make*. If it turns out I can't say their name, they can either give me a nickname to use, or put up with me saying their name wrong, but I'll let them choose.

Now, I realise this isn't always a fair presumption to make. Just like someone might not want to say a foreign name because they're self conscious about getting it wrong, someone may very well feel uncomfortable honouring a request to use specific pronouns for reasons that don't involve not believing in separate biological and psychological gender. I don't know what that reason would be, exactly, but I'm willing to believe it exists (but that's easy for me to say, because I'm not in a position to care).

That said, my observation has been that pretty much everyone would rather you at least try that not make any effort, and will assume that your ignorant or rude if you don't. That is, personal discomfort is trumped by their right/desire to control how they are referred to.

*I had a South Korean friend in University who tried to teach me a few words in Korean, and some words I would hear totally different on subsequent repetitions. As best as I can tell, it's my brain trying to make sense of sounds I'm not familiar with, and translating them into a best guess sound I know. Sadly, this means I can't actually hear some of the sounds she made for what they really were, let along duplicate them.

I do really well with French, and pretty well with German and Russian, though I need to hear words more slowly than in French. My Parisian housemate complimented me on my French parroting (and it is parroting. If I actually spoke French to her, it would be in my own accent, which is 'east coast English speaker who can't speak Quebecois').

You guys can't pronounce my real first name. Haven't met anyone who isn't Estonian or a Finn who could pronounce it right.

If anyone takes that as a challenge, I think my Skype is up on my profile.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

It's like Sack of Pretzels or something, right?

• Like 2

Yeah, Scandinavian languages aren't the easiest to deal with. The...sound profile (?) is very different. Really, anything that doesn't have Germanic or Latin roots is likely to be an issue for mono lingual English speakers (or even multi-lingual people who only speak languages with Germanic or Latin roots). Hawaiian is pretty good though. When I was in Hawaii, the map we had included a pronunciation index. Written Hawaiian is quite strait forward, but the spelling rules are quite different and the words tend to be long. I think the idea of the guide was that if you got lost, you would be able to get close enough to a correct pronunciation for locals to understand where you are trying to go.

Come to think of it, there are a few places that should probably have a pronunciation key on local maps...if anyone still used maps.

Most Scandinavian languages are Germanic based, only Finnish and Sami aren't.

I actually studied Mandarin for a semester in uni, that was interesting. A melodic language, where the meaning changes by the tonality of the phrase. We don't have it as pronounced, but a wee bit similar. For example, jäääär, aiaauk are words, which you can try to pronounce.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

August 13th I told this company I had a job offer that required a decision by the end of that week (and that I accepted and just started Tuesday). Today they wrote back, said sorry for the delay, is letting me know in another two weeks okay?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Anyone know anything about PC builds? Trying to make something kind of budget here.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ktDzpG

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Do you already have a GPU? (I'm assuming so but just checking since Ryzen doesn't have an IGP). And I'd /try/ going for a 1 TB SSD unless you're going to use a spare HDD. Of course, if you're not doing any gaming then it's more than plenty.

Personally I use 256 GB on my Windows 10 install which I don't game on and it's plenty for all my development tools [unreal, Unity, Visual Studio, etc] / software [Microsoft Office, Blender, etc] / programming libraries [20+ GB] / music [50+ CDs of FLAC-encoded music plus MP3 encoded copies lol] / other crap. But some of the games on Steam I've bought are over 50 GB which would... be taxing.

ozXHe7P.png

Oh right. Yeah, I didn't put it on the list at the time, but my friend is giving me his nvidia gtx970. I do some gaming, but I'm not one of those people who keeps more than like 5 games on my computer at a time. I have external storage for stuff like movies though, and slapping down another $100 for memory I won't use in the near future just doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Other than considering bumping your ram to 32gb it looks like a solid starter pc

I don't have $300 to spend on RAM. Well, I do, but I like to eat from time to time.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

16 GB master race! But my GPU is 4 generations old and my GPU is an nVidia 1050 (not Ti).

I so wanna upgrade to a Ryzen 8 or 16 core / nVidia 1080 / 32 or 64 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD x2 (for FreeBSD & Windows) / 144 hz 4k or dual monitor but I can't justify it at the moment. I want a 3 month emergency fund more than anything right now...

(But I could compile Unreal Engine in 10 minutes on that thing...)

ozXHe7P.png