Professional Firemaking - Do it your way! [New: Videos]

BiJay

Professional Firemaking

Do it your way!

1. Introduction

This is a guide about firemaking the profesional way. Learn how to light fires like you want and where you want without stooping except at your first log. Learn how to avoid running to bank or from bank to your firemaking spot.

First I give you a small overview how and where you should firemake and then I look deep into the ways you can burn logs. I'll show you some basic and later on some advanced methods.

Be warned!

This method requires many movements of your mouse which may lead to hurts in your fingers, wrist, arm and shoulders. Don't do this method if you already have such pains sometimes while playing RuneScape. Don't do this method for a very long time without any breaks. I recommend to do a break every hour for 5-10 mins.

2. How and where to get Firemaking experience

[hide=2.1. Basic equipment]Your inventory should look like this:

Inventory.jpg

-> 1 Tinderbox and 27 maple logs

You can place your tinderbox like me, at the top left corner or where you want. I like it there because the way from log to tinderbox is very short.

You should wear clothes with low weight to run for a longer time. Members with good agility level should never run out of energy while firemaking. As a member you can get the Ring of Fire and the Flame Gloves by doing the Beacon Network Minigame. You will need 62 FM for the ring and 79 for the gloves. They each give 2% exp bonus but if you wear them both it adds up to 5%. I recommend to get them.

Why maple logs?

The most common used logs are willows, maples and yews.

fire_willow.gif Willows

They give you 90 experience and cost 18 coins. That's 5 exp per coin.

fire_maple.gif Maples

They give you 135 experience and cost 42 coins. That's 3.2 exp per coin.

fire_yew.gif Yews

They give you 202.5 experience and cost 500 coins. That's 0.4 exp per coin.

Now some calculations to prove willows are not the best as it seems. If you light 1.2k logs per hour you receive the following experience and costs for one hour of burning:

Willows: 108,000 experience at a cost of 21,600 coins.

Maples: 162,000 experience at a cost of 50,400 coins.

162,000 experience with willows cost you 32,400.

Maples are 1.5 times faster than willows.

As you see you would need like 1½ hours with willows to get the same exp as in one hour with maples. You would save 18k coins in half an hour so if you can get more than 36k per hour maples seem to be the better way.

We take a look at Maples and Yews:

Yews: 243,000 experience at a cost of 600,000 coins.

243,000 experience with maples cost you 75,600 coins.

Yews are 1.44 times faster than maples.

Approximately you would save more than 500k coins in half an hour so if you can get more than 1m per hour yews seem to be the better way.

Logs for members

For members there are 2 more log types to consider.

eucalyptus_logs.gif Eucalyptus

They give you 193.5 experience and cost 385 coins. That's 0.5 exp per coin.

guides_magic_logs.gif Magics

They give you 303.75 experience and cost 1370 coins. That's 0.2 exp per coin.

Let us take a look at Maples vs. Eucalyptus:

Eucalyptus: 232,200 experience at a cost of 462,000 coins.

232,200 experience with maples cost you 72,240 coins.

Eucalyptus are 1.43 times faster than maples.

Approximately you would save 450k coins in half an hour so if you can get more than 900k per hour eucalyptus seem to be the better way.

And at the last Maples vs. Magics:

Magics: 364,500 experience at a cost of 1,644,400 coins.

364,500 experience with maples cost you 113,400 coins.

Eucalyptus are 2.25 times faster than maples.

You would save approximately 1,5m in 1h and 15min. So if you can get more than 1.2m per hour magics seem to be the better way.[/hide]

[hide=2.2. Places to burn]For the following methods it's good to use a place where you can light logs directly where you bank and where you have a large area to light fires. So for F2P the following locations are suitable: Grand Exchange, Bounty Hunter and Fist of Guthix.

Grand Exchange

Pros: Two banks, largest area

Cons: Crowded, people begging for money or asking stupid questions

Bounty Hunter

Pros: Not crowded

Cons: Moving bank

Fist of Guthix

Pros: Not crowded, large area

Cons: Moving bank, NPCs you could accidentally click on

What's with Falador, Duel Arena and so on?

You have to walk/run from bank to your firemaking spot and back so you lose time and run energy.

Locations for members

Oo'glog

Pros: Not crowded, large area

Cons: Needs quest, short walk to bank

Nardah

Pros: Not crowded

Cons: Not much space, short walk to bank[/hide]

3. How to light Fires

This seems obvious but you light fires by using a log with your tinderbox or vice versa. After you lighted your fire you move one spot to the left (or west). If you use another log on your tinderbox a short moment before you light your fire your character moves to the right (or east) and drops one log at the fire. This comes handy if you want to confuse other people.

The animation you see is: Your character stoops and attempts to light a fire and then stands up and begins to move. While you move the fire starts burning. If you light another fire afterwards your character doesn't stoop except you wait for a few seconds before lighting the next fire.

New fire makers use this to make fires in a straight line. Advanced fire makers know you can move right when you light your first log and before you start making the next fire. This makes fire making interesting.

[hide=3.1. Basics]You can use above technique to light the following fires with only one stoop at the first log (top right).

1.jpg

The first four fires are lighted as you would any other fires in a straight line (called First Line). You start running right at the moment when the fourth fire starts burning to the the spot where the blue arrow leads to (one square south to your first log). Your character runs from the fourth to the second log - this is the moment where you use your next log with your tinderbox. If you've done it right you make a fire without another stoop at the second line. Now you can continue doing another line.

If you don't run you can light one of the green fires after you lighted your red fire with above technique:

2.jpg

As you see you can burn a log up to two squares away from your spot to the left of your previous fire.

Here's the next picture showing the logs you can burn if you run:

3.jpg

If you run you can burn a log up to 4 squares away. This means for the above picture after you finished the green line you could burn a log where the red arrow points to. (All other logs which lay around, too.)

Small hint for F2Pers or low agility players:

Deep researches revelead that burning a log 3 squares away drains your run energy very less than a log 4 squares away. It's more effective to use a distance of 3 squares if you are F2P or if you have a low agility level. Btw you can use your explorer's ring to replenish your run energy by 50% three times a day.[/hide]

[hide=3.2. Methods]You should try the following methods first before you start doing your own fire madness. I advice to learn these so you can do them perfectly without more than one stoop. Then try to them in another direction (like start south instead of north, do new lines at the top of the previous one instead of under it). And finally try to combine the methods.

a) 3x3 box method

4.jpg

You start at line 1 and each color indicates another line which you reach by running to the fire to the left of the next number. The first and second line have a length of 3 fires but the third lasts 6 fires and so on.

B) Big box method

5.jpg

It's like the previous method. You do lines with a length of 3 fires except the fifth line which has a length of 6 fires. Then finish the box with more 3-length-lines. You will end near your starting point. It's a good method if you don't have much space to light fires.

c) Bridge

6.jpg

You start at the fire to the left of the number 1 and make a 2-length-line. Then you run to to the left of the number 2 and make another 2-length-line. You can do this how often you want.

This method is good to do fires from west to east instead of the normal way from east to west.

These are the basic methods I can think of. You may change the length of the lines to form other obstacles or place the lines in other ways to reach different places then this is what we want.[/hide]

[hide=3.3. Your own way]By combining the above methods you can control where you want to end with your last log. For example you can combine the 3x3 box method with the bridge to have a reverse 3x3 box method. The same counts for the big box method. By using these techniques and sometimes a helpful fire you can avoid obstacles like the centre of the Grand Exchange. Here's a picture how this may look:

3-1.jpg

In this picture I use lines like in the big box method and a bridge south of the centre (where I stand) to move clockwise around the GE. After a whole inventory I end at the opposite side at the next bank to fill my inventory again.

Another simple way to avoid obstacles could be the next picture:

1-1.jpg

You can see how I go all the way around the tree stump to end next to where I started.

Now, it's the time you find your own way. I would love it if you post some pictures how you light your fires.[/hide]

4. Funny Fires

[hide=4.1. Geometrical shapes]a) Square

Square.jpg

This is one of the easier shapes. You need to do a 3-log-line then do another without the second fire. Instead move one space to the left and light another fire then do the last 3-log-line.

B) Triangle

Triangle.jpg

You can make triangles in different sizes. Start with the hypotenuse and do (like here) a 5-log-line then do the other lines of the triangles like stairs, one-by-one.

c) Circle

Circle.jpg

You should start at the right side where you want (or at the east side to be accurate). Then do the fires one-by-one clockwise or counter-clockwise as you want. There's one 3-log-line and one backwards 3-log-line.

Lines backwards are simple: Do the first two logs in the normal direction from east to west then run to the east to do another 2-log-line to the right of your first line and so on. It' similiar to the bridge method if you do only the green lines.[/hide]

[hide=4.2. Numbers and letters]I recommend to make letters and numbers from west to east to avoid unnecessary running. Do the first letter/number from top to bottom and then the second from bottom to top and so on. I won't tell your how to make every letter or number in detail. You should handle it now by your own.

Here are a few examples:

FM-99.jpg

TFS.jpg

QuestionMark.jpg

If you are muted you can communicate with this method... I don't recommend it though. ::'[/hide]

[hide=4.3. Hearts and other shapes]Hearts are one typically shape to light and you see them quite often compared to other shapes.

a) Normal Heart

Heart-1.jpg

You do this heart like the triangle or the circle. There are to ways: Clockwise or counter-clockwise. However you should start at the upper right corner and do your stairs and two 2-log-lines.

B) Filled Heart

Heart-2.jpg

To do a filled heart you should start at the first upper lines. Chose the right or the left one. After you did this first 2-log-line do two 4-log lines, a 3-log-line, a 2-log-line and the last fire at the bottom. Now you have one half of the heart, do the same with the other half in opposite direction. It's like the big box method with different length of lines.

c) Plexus

Plexus.jpg

Bored FM'ers do this sometimes. It's good to test your clicking skills. There are so many methods how to do it but I won't cover any of them. Do it as you like.

d) Small arrow

Arrow-Small.jpg

If you want to point your arrow to the left start a normal line and at the end light the two remaining logs to finish the arrow. If you want to point it to the left start with the arrow head first and then make your line.

e) Big arrow

Arrow-Big.jpg

Start your line like you would do it normally and at the end do some stairs at the top and the bottom. You may change direction. An arrow pointing north or south is a little bit harder but possible.

f) ...

These are just a few sample shapes. I know you can think of many more to try out. :)[/hide]

5. Advanced Fires

If you're already experienced in lighting fires you will have noticed that some strange things may happen if you cklick even further away after making one fire than usual. This is the basic thing for the following methods:

[hide=5.1. New Basics]Let us start with one fire (number 1) then walk far away to the west by clicking where the fire 3 should be. Now immediately use your tinderbox with a log and you will notice that your character doesn't stop moving but lights a fire at 2. Then use another log with your tinderbox approximately two squares before you reach 3.

7.jpg

This is the maximum extent you can have without stooping. There are 4 squares between 2 and 3 so it's the double amount as between 1 and 2. Compare this with above basics.

If you run you can even double the extent. This leads to one glitch where your character teles a few squares ahead. Just try it out (it helps to tilt your camera down so you can click that far away).

Another note:

If you click again somewhere in the world after fire 2 your character won't stop walking after lighting fire 3. With this you can walk and light fires. This needs hard practice and good timing. Even me fails sometimes at "walking fires". Good place to train this is between Varrock east and west bank (and opposite direction) or Grand Exchange (try to walk in circles around the bank).[/hide]

[hide=5.2. New Methods]This leads to far more techniques and I'll cover some of these. We start with some basic methods. You'll light the first fire as usual and then click where fire 3 should be. While walking there you make fire 2 and if you reached spot 3 you will light fire 3.

Remember:

Left is always east and right always west. I will show you only methods where I walk over the first fire or somewhere near it.

"The backwards technique":

8.jpg

"Changing the line":

9.jpg

"Steps":

10.jpg

And to complete these 3 here are 4 more which are smiliar:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Now we want to add a few things to above "Steps". We make a fire 0 one step to the right before fire 1 and a fire 4 after fire 3 one step to left.

"Wrong Z":

15.jpg

We can add another step. So imagine the 4 would be a 1 and do the Steps method from up to down instead from down to up.

"Wrong Z #2":

16.jpg

This is the beginning of the "New Small Boxes" method covered in the next section.[/hide]

[hide=5.3. New Methods Part 2]Now I want to show you some full methods for one inventory. First we complete the "Wrong Z" by starting with "Wrong Z" and then doing "Wrong Z #2" up and down and down and up.

"New Small Boxes":

New-Small-Boxes.jpg

Another funny method is "ZigZag". It combines many "Steps" to some weird fires:

ZigZag:

Zigzag.jpg

I showed you the backwards technique. You can continue it by clicking two squares farther after lighting fire 3 and do another fire on the way. After 13 or 14 logs you change your line (with the "Changing line" method or just by clicking above or under your backwards line and then making a fire as usual) and do one normal line.

Back and Forth:

Back-and-Forth.jpg

You will have noticed that with these new methods some funny fires become more easier.

Notice:

These are only a few methods. Eventually I'll add more but I think it already gives you enough inspiration for more. :-)[/hide]

6. Videos

Back and Forth at Grand Exchange east side:

[yt]5HL2CT3gZ_s[/yt]

3x3 Boxes at Grand Exchange north side:

[yt]JTfJVczCnxs[/yt]

Freestyle at Grand Exchange:

[yt]dho1_6ieBLE[/yt]

Walking in Fires (one inventory):

[yt]oyCbGJLYrtg[/yt]

Small Boxes (one inventory):

[yt]X5i8xMSaLM8[/yt]

ZigZag (one inventory):

[yt]ggoXkbbBCtA[/yt]

Have fun with your fires!

Thanks to robertr1 for the feedback on members locations.

[404] Signature not found.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide... especially for someone going for 99 fire making like I... Nice pictures btw. Last one was funny :P

10/10

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

Nice guide. A good combination of common knowledge and useful tips and tricks.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Include Pyrlords/Forge regents.

the guide is f2p

pyrelords are slow and a pain to use anyway

something i dont get why make boxes instead of a straight line?

By doing straight lines you can burn like 1k logs per hour, with boxes it's up to 1.3k logs. You save time if you don't run to bank or to your firemaking spot. You don't have to switch worlds to find an empty world where you can burn your logs in a straight line and finally you can save run energy with boxes. And it's much more fun to do boxes.

I can add member things, for example more places where you can effectively burn your logs. But I don't have any members account so if you know of some good places just tell me and I'll add them.

it would be nice if u can show us a video:)

I'm not familiar with making videos so I won't make one... I think.

easy i can teach you if u want, send me a pm to this tip it account if your interested:)

Kylemadigan.png

Hehe, I was chopping willows and burning them with my f2p alt, and I couldn't find a straight line long enough for a full inventory, so I tried moving my line around. It barely took any practice to figure out how to do this, and it makes firemaking more fun when you can make whatever shape you like. :thumbsup:

excellent guide!!!

i thing about the boxes wouldn't you be using more energy and more clicks with boxes, i would have thought it would be much more efficient to train in a straight line

i had no idea you weren't English until you mentioned it at the end so well done again for a non-English speaker to be able to write English that well.

fiouynacdaersihtesutisaruoygis.

exotos.png

exotos.png

exotos.png

I are a imp.

---------------------------------------------------------

Quest Point Cape - acheived 26/05/2009

---------------------------------------------------------

You should mention a great way to break up boredom when firemaking is making designs every once in a while. Especially making something like a Heart at the Grand Exchange keeps you entertained for a bit longer.

Great guide. I'll be sure to use them. Forgive me if I didn't see it, but I don't think you mentioned using 2 tinderboxes? I myself prefer this, since it gives less strain on my wrist. But perhaps you should mention trying it.

I like the guide, very informative. Pictures are great as well. I got 99 fm with willows just because I had a bunch left over from 99 wc. Maples do look to be faster as you stated in the guide. 8/10

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

You should mention a great way to break up boredom when firemaking is making designs every once in a while. Especially making something like a Heart at the Grand Exchange keeps you entertained for a bit longer.

I'll add a fun-section soon. :)

Great guide. I'll be sure to use them. Forgive me if I didn't see it, but I don't think you mentioned using 2 tinderboxes? I myself prefer this, since it gives less strain on my wrist. But perhaps you should mention trying it.

The box method requires alot clicks and mouse movements. Two tinderboxes won't make a big difference. If you have such pain you should do the straight line method. I think I'll add it.

I don't have any pains because I wear a wristband all the time and have a mouse with high sensity.

i thing about the boxes wouldn't you be using more energy and more clicks with boxes, i would have thought it would be much more efficient to train in a straight line

Tbh you waste less energy with the box method than running to and from you firemaking spot to bank. If you are good you can firemake without any energy doing two-log-lines. ;)

Does this no longer work, with the HD update?

If not, can you post a video of this, as I don't seem to understand when to run.

I always stoop down, light the fire, run, and nothing happens......

[hide=quotes]

You are like a three legged cat. Everyone hates you and thinks you are ugly until, one day, they realize that you're cuter than all of the other cats. And you're fluffy too. I'm so glad I petted you.

I've always wondered: If there's offensive language, than there should be Defensive Language. But I've never encountered it. If it does exist, what would it entail? Being painstakingly polite in such a manner that infuriates another?
[/hide]sudokupsycho.png

Does this no longer work, with the HD update?

If not, can you post a video of this, as I don't seem to understand when to run.

I always stoop down, light the fire, run, and nothing happens......

I don't exactly understand your problem. After you run you have to use your next log with your tinderbox before you reach the next spot. I never did any videos so I'm not familiar with it. Try this video from Zarfot for some help.

That video's old though. I'm asking if this was destroyed with the High Detail updates. It doesn't let me run to a different spot until I've already gone the one step west, and by then it's too late. :wall:

[hide=quotes]

You are like a three legged cat. Everyone hates you and thinks you are ugly until, one day, they realize that you're cuter than all of the other cats. And you're fluffy too. I'm so glad I petted you.

I've always wondered: If there's offensive language, than there should be Defensive Language. But I've never encountered it. If it does exist, what would it entail? Being painstakingly polite in such a manner that infuriates another?
[/hide]sudokupsycho.png

That video's old though. I'm asking if this was destroyed with the High Detail updates. It doesn't let me run to a different spot until I've already gone the one step west, and by then it's too late. :wall:

No, the HD updates didn't change anything. Maybe you lagged?