The Wise Old Man - An Unsolved Mystery...POST ALL EVIDENCE!

sirgudi

[hide=My very long contribution]Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "Settlements"

Me: I suppose you'd know about the history of today's cities?

WOM: Yes, there are fairly good records of the formation of the cities from primative settlements.

[he talks about various cities, nothing interesting here]

WOM: In the west, Ardougne gradually formed under the leadership of the Carnillean family, despite the threat of the Mahjarrat warlord Hazeel who dwelt in that area until his downfall.

Me: I've foiled a dastardly Zamorakian plot to have Hazeel resurrected.

WOM: So I'd heard. Lord Saradomin is smiling on you.

My thoughts: I'm curious as to what this dialogue goes like if you chose to help Hazeel in Hazeel Cult. Could anyone post that?

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "The Mahjarrat"

Me: What are the Mahjarrat?

WOM: Very little is written about the tribe of the Mahjarrat. They are believed to be fromt he realm of the Freneskae or Frenaskrae - the spelling in this tongue is only approximate.

WOM: Only one of them, the foul Zamorak, has achieved godhood, although none knows how this came about.

WOM: Other Mahjarrat who have been particularly active upon this plane are Hazeel, Lucien, Azzanadra and Zemouregal.

Me: I've defeated Lucien

WOM: Truly, your bravery exceeds your stature. But I fear his defeat will not be permanent.

Me: Azzanadra taught me some ancient magical powers after I unlocked the pyramid where he had been trapped.

WOM: Leave me, traveller; I am old, and your words fill me with horror.

[unlike other chat sequences, this one ends without the option to ask another question, as the WOM is obviously to afraid to continue talking]

My thoughts: Once again WOM shows his great fear of Zaros (Azzanadra was a minion of Zaros if I remember correctly) and the pyramid in which he was trapped. Also I am curious how this dialogue goes when you've either helped Hazeel or Lucien, as I chose against helping in both cases.[/hide]

[hide=The Hazeel/Lucien Conversations]Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "Settlements"

WOM: In the west, Ardougne gradually formed under the leadership of the Carnillean family, despite the threat of the Mahjarrat warlord Hazeel who dwelt in that area until his downfall.

Me: He'll be back, just you wait!

WOM: Oh dear, I hope you haven't done anything rash!

WOM: Is there anything else you'd like to ask?

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "The Mahjarrat"

WOM: Other Mahjarrat who have been particularly active upon this plane are Hazeel, Lucien, Azzanadra and Zemouregal.

Me: Hazeel will rise again, you'll see!

WOM: Adventurer, your actions fill me with concern!

Me: I've met Lucien. He paid me very nicely for bringing him a staff he wanted.

WOM: Traveller, I beg of you, do not have further dealings with such creatures! You do not know their power as I do.

Me: Azzanadra taught me some ancient magical powers after I unlocked the pyramid where he had been trapped

WOM: Leave me, traveller; I am old, and your words fill me with horror.[/hide]

If you read the books on his bookshelf, on the last page of one of them, it says hes going to get back at the wizards of the wizards tower, or something along those lines.

I forgot to add them, but i have to go now.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF HIS BOOKS???

Thanks

1689cfc.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you talk to the WOM and ask him everything, and I mean everything, he says some pretty interesting things. And if you do quests, you sometimes unlock additional dialogue. I've done all the quests, so I'm fairly confident that I've unlocked all the hidden dialogue, so I've posted the interesting tidbits below:

[hide=My very long contribution]Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "Heroic figures"

Me: Tell me about valiant heroes!

WOM: Ha ha ha... There are plenty of heroes. Always have been, always will be, until the fall of the world.

WOM: You're quite a noted adventurer yourself!

WOM: But I suppose I could tell you of a couple..

WOM: Yes there was a man called Arrav. No-one knew where he came from, but he was a fearsome fighter, a skillful hunter, and a remarkable farmer. He lived in the ancient settlement of Avarrocka, defending it from goblins, until he went forth in search of some strange artefact long desired by the dreaded Mahjarrat.

WOM: Perhaps someday I shall be able to tell you what became of him

WOM: But do not let your head be turned by heroics. Randas was another great man, but he let himself be beguiled into turning ot serve Zamorak, and they say he is now a mindless creature deep in the Underground Pass that leads to Isafdar.

My thoughts: First of all, how is Arrav being a "remarkable farmer" relevant to his heroism? Secondly, what is the "strange artefact" that the Mahjarrat are seeking? And what exactly is stopping WOM from telling me what happened to Arrav? Is Randas the original name of Lord Iban? I did Underground Pass a long time ago and don't quite remember. And if Randas is someone different than Lord Iban, who is he?

Well about that farmer stuff, thats mentioned in the Legend of Arrav, in the Lores section on the website. He leaned how to fight hunt and farm. The artefact he was searching for is the Shield of Arrav, made by teh Imcando Dwarves. Randas isn't Iban. Iban is a Black Knight who died and was resurrected by a witch. Randas was an adventurer who was tempted by Zamorak (maybe by Iban), but couldn't handle the power given to him. Now he is one of the Soulless in the Pass.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "Settlements"

WOM: Yes, there are fairly good records of the formation of the cities from primative settlements.

My thoughts: I'm curious as to what this dialogue goes like if you chose to help Hazeel in Hazeel Cult. Could anyone post that?

Mentioned in a post above this one.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "The Wise Old Man of Draynor Village"

Me: Tell me about yourself, old man.

WOM: Ah, so you want to know about me, eh?

WOM: Mmm... what could I say about myself? Let's see what I've done...

[he talks about some places he's gone]

WOM: I've wandered through the vast desert that lies south of Al Kharid and seen the great walls of Menaphos and Sophanem.

Me: That feline statue you've got on your bookshelf there - I'm sure I saw something like that when I was in Sophanem.

WOM: I've always liked to collect little trinkets to remind me of the time when my life was more - ah - exciting.

Me: So you've spoken to the Sphinx, then?

WOM: Spoken to a sphinx, you say? My dear young man, you can't possibly be serious!

Me: What do you mean?

WOM: Ha ha ha! The people who live deep in the shifting sands of the desert will often tell travellers tall tales of strange beasts, but that doesn't mean any of it it's remotely true!

Me: But I've met the Sph...

WOM: Please, adventurer, there is nothing to be gained by interfering in matters you do not understand.

WOM: Even if such a creature were to exist...

Me: ... which it does...

WOM: EVEN IF SUCH A CREATURE WERE TO EXIST it would be terribly dangerous for you to get involved in its business.

WOM: I have heard terrible things happening to travellers in that land, and I would not wish for you to be dragged into anything like that.

WOM: Indeed, I have heard of adventurers doing the most shameful and blasphemous deeds believing themselves to be acting on behalf of some false god!

Me: Hmmm?

WOM: So please do not speak to me of this matter again. Now, I believe I was telling you of my adventurous youth...

WOM: Apart from all that, I've spent many a happy hour in dusty libraries, searching through ancient scrolls and texts for the wisdom of those who have passed on.

WOM: Plus plenty of other adventures, quests, journeys... Is there anything else you would like to know?

My thoughts: The WOM first denies the existence of the Sphinx, then seems to confirm it by warning against meddling in things you don't understand. His initial denial is strange, because not only has he been to Sophanem, where the Sphinx is walking around right in the open, but he has seen countless and untold wonders. Compared to some of the things he's seen/done, a Sphinx seems outright mundane.

I think he is trying to protect you by denying her existence. After all, dealing with a sphinx is risky, cause when you don't give the right answer or offend her, she punishes you without mercy... But when he sees that you've already seen her, he just says to be extremely careful.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "Three gods?"

Me: I heard that RuneScape has three gods.

WOM: Indeed. This is correct: Saradomin, Guthix and Zamorak.

WOM: Saradomin, the great and glorious, gives life to this world.

WOM: Zamorak craves only death and destruction.

WOM: Guthix, calling itself a god of 'balance', holds no allegiance, but simply aids whatever cause suits its shifting purpose.

Me: So who's Zaros?

WOM: What did you say?

Me: I discovered a buried altar to a god called Zaros.

WOM: Please, do not speak further of this. No good can come of meddling in such things.

Me: So Zaros is real?

WOM: Adventurer, my patience is limited. Speak to me no further of this - this - this foolishness.

Me: Does that mean I shouldn't ask you about the ancient magics I learnt in that pyramid north of Sophanem?

WOM: ENOUGH! Begone from me, you foul trickster!

[unlike other chat sequences, this does not end with the option to ask a new question, the WOM is apparently too angry/afraid]

My thoughts: The WOM does not seem to deny the existence of Zaros, but rather fears the very thought of him. His anger escalates when he is told about the ancient magicks. He must have heard of the pyramid north of Sophanem earlier, because there is nothing that you said to link the pyramid to Zaros, yet he reacts as if he had prior knowledge of it. On another note, he seems very disrespectful of Guthix, calling him "it".

Everyone is afraid of Zaros, cause he was a terrible God and merciless against his enemies. I think I've read something about that even speaking of his name can get him out of his banishment or at least strengthening him. Furthermore, Guthix doesn't have a gender, and therefore is an 'it'.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "The wars of the gods"

Me: I wanna know about the wars of the gods!

WOM: Ah, that was a terrible time. The armies of Saradomin fought gloriously against the minions of Zamorak, but many brave warriors and noble cities were overthrown and destroyed utterly.

WOM: You have visited Uzer, and seen for yourself the damage that could be wrought by an elder-demon in its wrath.

Me: How did it all end?

WOM: Before the Zamorakian forces could be utterly routed, Lord Saradomin took pity on them and the battle-scarre world, and allowed a truce.

My thoughts: From what I've learned about the God Wars from various other sources, Guthix was the one who ended the War. More powerful than either Saradomin or Zamorak, he forced them to agree to a truce. So WOM's comment about Saradomin showing mercy is a bold-faced lie. In fact...

Bold faced lie:

Lord Saradomin took pity on them and the battle-scarred world, and allowed a truce.

Yep, he's a liar.

WOM: Very little is written about the tribe of the Mahjarrat. They are believed to be fromt he realm of the Freneskae or Frenaskrae - the spelling in this tongue is only approximate.

WOM: Only one of them, the foul Zamorak, has achieved godhood, although none knows how this came about.

WOM: Truly, your bravery exceeds your stature. But I fear his defeat will not be permanent.

Me: Azzanadra taught me some ancient magical powers after I unlocked the pyramid where he had been trapped.

[unlike other chat sequences, this one ends without the option to ask another question, as the WOM is obviously to afraid to continue talking]

My thoughts: Once again WOM shows his great fear of Zaros (Azzanadra was a minion of Zaros if I remember correctly) and the pyramid in which he was trapped. Also I am curious how this dialogue goes when you've either helped Hazeel or Lucien, as I chose against helping in both cases.

Stated above.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Something to do with you..." -> "Your retirement"

Me: When we finished fighting those sea trolls, you said you'd finished with adventuring, didn't you?

WOM: Yes, that's right. I'm an old man, there's no denying it, and I need a nice quite retirement.

WOM: Besides, I think you've proved that the new generation has its own heroes and adventures - I should step back and let you get on with it!

Me: Does this mean you're not going to do any more big robberies?

WOM: Well, since you saved my life when we were fighting the Sea Troll Queen, I don't mind telling you... I trust you won't tell anyone about this?

Me: Go on...

WOM: I might just have something in mind. After all, that little bank incident went very smoothly.

Me: But you're retired!

WOM: I retired from adventuring and questing. The episode in the bank was hardly a quest, more like a shopping trip!

Me: Your shopping trip killed 3 bank staff and several innocent bystanders, not to mention the watchman!

WOM: I've saved countless villages from unspeakable terrors and slain innumerable evil monsters - surely I deserve some sort of reward in return? Yet what do I get? NOTHING!

[the WOM rants for a while about how he got no rewards from helping people]

WOM: I eventually realised that the only way I could get a proper reward for my life's efforts is if I took the reward myself. So I took up my cape and staff and headed for the bank.

Me: And now you're planning another robbery? Didn't you get enough from the bank?

WOM: perhaps not... But enough of this matter!Is there anything else you'd like to ask?

My thoughts: WOM is ambiguous about his new plans, despite the fact that he says he's going to talk about them. Darn! :wall:

I think he will attack the Tower, but thats just me.[/hide]

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

If you talk to the WOM and ask him everything, and I mean everything, he says some pretty interesting things. And if you do quests, you sometimes unlock additional dialogue. I've done all the quests, so I'm fairly confident that I've unlocked all the hidden dialogue, so I've posted the interesting tidbits below:

[hide=My very long contribution]Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "Heroic figures"

Me: Tell me about valiant heroes!

WOM: Ha ha ha... There are plenty of heroes. Always have been, always will be, until the fall of the world.

WOM: You're quite a noted adventurer yourself!

WOM: But I suppose I could tell you of a couple..

WOM: Yes there was a man called Arrav. No-one knew where he came from, but he was a fearsome fighter, a skillful hunter, and a remarkable farmer. He lived in the ancient settlement of Avarrocka, defending it from goblins, until he went forth in search of some strange artefact long desired by the dreaded Mahjarrat.

WOM: Perhaps someday I shall be able to tell you what became of him

WOM: But do not let your head be turned by heroics. Randas was another great man, but he let himself be beguiled into turning ot serve Zamorak, and they say he is now a mindless creature deep in the Underground Pass that leads to Isafdar.

My thoughts: First of all, how is Arrav being a "remarkable farmer" relevant to his heroism? Secondly, what is the "strange artefact" that the Mahjarrat are seeking? And what exactly is stopping WOM from telling me what happened to Arrav? Is Randas the original name of Lord Iban? I did Underground Pass a long time ago and don't quite remember. And if Randas is someone different than Lord Iban, who is he?

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Days gone by" -> "The Wise Old Man of Draynor Village"

Me: Tell me about yourself, old man.

WOM: Ah, so you want to know about me, eh?

WOM: Mmm... what could I say about myself? Let's see what I've done...

[he talks about some places he's gone]

WOM: I've wandered through the vast desert that lies south of Al Kharid and seen the great walls of Menaphos and Sophanem.

Me: That feline statue you've got on your bookshelf there - I'm sure I saw something like that when I was in Sophanem.

WOM: I've always liked to collect little trinkets to remind me of the time when my life was more - ah - exciting.

Me: So you've spoken to the Sphinx, then?

WOM: Spoken to a sphinx, you say? My dear young man, you can't possibly be serious!

Me: What do you mean?

WOM: Ha ha ha! The people who live deep in the shifting sands of the desert will often tell travellers tall tales of strange beasts, but that doesn't mean any of it it's remotely true!

Me: But I've met the Sph...

WOM: Please, adventurer, there is nothing to be gained by interfering in matters you do not understand.

WOM: Even if such a creature were to exist...

Me: ... which it does...

WOM: EVEN IF SUCH A CREATURE WERE TO EXIST it would be terribly dangerous for you to get involved in its business.

WOM: I have heard terrible things happening to travellers in that land, and I would not wish for you to be dragged into anything like that.

WOM: Indeed, I have heard of adventurers doing the most shameful and blasphemous deeds believing themselves to be acting on behalf of some false god!

Me: Hmmm?

WOM: So please do not speak to me of this matter again. Now, I believe I was telling you of my adventurous youth...

WOM: Apart from all that, I've spent many a happy hour in dusty libraries, searching through ancient scrolls and texts for the wisdom of those who have passed on.

WOM: Plus plenty of other adventures, quests, journeys... Is there anything else you would like to know?

My thoughts: The WOM first denies the existence of the Sphinx, then seems to confirm it by warning against meddling in things you don't understand. His initial denial is strange, because not only has he been to Sophanem, where the Sphinx is walking around right in the open, but he has seen countless and untold wonders. Compared to some of the things he's seen/done, a Sphinx seems outright mundane.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "Three gods?"

Me: I heard that RuneScape has three gods.

WOM: Indeed. This is correct: Saradomin, Guthix and Zamorak.

WOM: Saradomin, the great and glorious, gives life to this world.

WOM: Zamorak craves only death and destruction.

WOM: Guthix, calling itself a god of 'balance', holds no allegiance, but simply aids whatever cause suits its shifting purpose.

Me: So who's Zaros?

WOM: What did you say?

Me: I discovered a buried altar to a god called Zaros.

WOM: Please, do not speak further of this. No good can come of meddling in such things.

Me: So Zaros is real?

WOM: Adventurer, my patience is limited. Speak to me no further of this - this - this foolishness.

Me: Does that mean I shouldn't ask you about the ancient magics I learnt in that pyramid north of Sophanem?

WOM: ENOUGH! Begone from me, you foul trickster!

[unlike other chat sequences, this does not end with the option to ask a new question, the WOM is apparently too angry/afraid]

My thoughts: The WOM does not seem to deny the existence of Zaros, but rather fears the very thought of him. His anger escalates when he is told about the ancient magicks. He must have heard of the pyramid north of Sophanem earlier, because there is nothing that you said to link the pyramid to Zaros, yet he reacts as if he had prior knowledge of it. On another note, he seems very disrespectful of Guthix, calling him "it".

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Gods and demons" -> "The wars of the gods"

Me: I wanna know about the wars of the gods!

WOM: Ah, that was a terrible time. The armies of Saradomin fought gloriously against the minions of Zamorak, but many brave warriors and noble cities were overthrown and destroyed utterly.

WOM: You have visited Uzer, and seen for yourself the damage that could be wrought by an elder-demon in its wrath.

Me: How did it all end?

WOM: Before the Zamorakian forces could be utterly routed, Lord Saradomin took pity on them and the battle-scarre world, and allowed a truce.

My thoughts: From what I've learned about the God Wars from various other sources, Guthix was the one who ended the War. More powerful than either Saradomin or Zamorak, he forced them to agree to a truce. So WOM's comment about Saradomin showing mercy is a bold-faced lie. In fact...

Bold faced lie:

Lord Saradomin took pity on them and the battle-scarred world, and allowed a truce.

My thoughts: Once again WOM shows his great fear of Zaros (Azzanadra was a minion of Zaros if I remember correctly) and the pyramid in which he was trapped. Also I am curious how this dialogue goes when you've either helped Hazeel or Lucien, as I chose against helping in both cases.

Path: "I'd just like to ask you something" -> "Something to do with you..." -> "Your retirement"

Me: When we finished fighting those sea trolls, you said you'd finished with adventuring, didn't you?

WOM: Yes, that's right. I'm an old man, there's no denying it, and I need a nice quite retirement.

WOM: Besides, I think you've proved that the new generation has its own heroes and adventures - I should step back and let you get on with it!

Me: Does this mean you're not going to do any more big robberies?

WOM: Well, since you saved my life when we were fighting the Sea Troll Queen, I don't mind telling you... I trust you won't tell anyone about this?

Me: Go on...

WOM: I might just have something in mind. After all, that little bank incident went very smoothly.

Me: But you're retired!

WOM: I retired from adventuring and questing. The episode in the bank was hardly a quest, more like a shopping trip!

Me: Your shopping trip killed 3 bank staff and several innocent bystanders, not to mention the watchman!

WOM: I've saved countless villages from unspeakable terrors and slain innumerable evil monsters - surely I deserve some sort of reward in return? Yet what do I get? NOTHING!

[the WOM rants for a while about how he got no rewards from helping people]

WOM: I eventually realised that the only way I could get a proper reward for my life's efforts is if I took the reward myself. So I took up my cape and staff and headed for the bank.

Me: And now you're planning another robbery? Didn't you get enough from the bank?

WOM: perhaps not... But enough of this matter!Is there anything else you'd like to ask?

My thoughts: WOM is ambiguous about his new plans, despite the fact that he says he's going to talk about them. Darn! :wall:[/hide]

I did hazeel cult and helped hazeel. Nothing interesting, the wom says-

Me: He'll be back, you just wait and see!

WOM: (forgot what he says here, but he's displeased.)

Again, I really think he has something to do with the gods. I think he's trying to make people think he's a follower of saradomin.

I wonder waht would happen if tehre would be an option to ask about Iban and that stuff... maybe someone try talking to him with an Iban staff wielded or using an iban staff on him?

I'll try that now.

Death should not be taken as 'the end,' but a very effective way to cut down taxes.