Multiple Quote Button

So anyone who is a regular in here will have seen these topics:

viewtopic.php?t=720420

viewtopic.php?t=714005

Which basically give the same answer, over and over again, which would be 'Wait till PhpBB3'. Well we're at phpbb3, and we're past that stage of getting all the needed stuff done and I think we're at the part where we can discuss all that stuff that was put off in order to wait for phpbb3 (look through the back-pages and you'll see some of the related topics).

Anyways this Multi-Quote Button would enable you to, or so I hope would enable you to quote multiple posts in any topic, and then when you hit 'Post Reply' all the selected posts that you selected would be quoted in your reply. Another neat feature would be to quote someone in topic A, then quote someone in topic B, then click 'Post Reply' in topic C and get both of those quotes from A & B and have them in the reply for topic C. But if that is too much to find/look for/make just within topics is fine in itself, as long as it can stretch through multiple pages, so you can just quote any of the first 20, 40, or 60 replies in the topic without losing any of the quotes from page 1, 2, or 3, or more, even up to page 150.

We all know how useful this feature would be. How much more faster we can quote & reply to topics/users, without having to type the quote tags 5 or more times, then copying and pasting the post. We've all had to quote multiple people but had to look through the topic preview, or even open a new tab/window to go through the topic. All of these are very inconvenient.

One other thing I'd like to bring up is the other FanSites already have this feature on their forums (and yes I do mean to compare Tip.It to other FanSites). This is just another addition to the boards which would keep Tip.It on top of it's competitors, without missing something that the competitors have, and we don't (This addition won't give Tip.It a major boost, but it'll stop people from adding another con if they were to compare us to Zybez, this would be one more con off of using the forums). Many users have complained, or do complain about it through the IRC, or I've seen at TET events, and even if your a casual user you'll have seen somewhere someone mentioning/asking/wondering about this.

However before I made this topic I had asked Peter/PureMage about the Multi-Quote button, and he apparently said that he doesn't have the time to program such a feature into the boards. Thus we either need to find a mod for the boards, or someone configures one by themselves. So I'm hoping someone either knows of a mod, or has the knowledge and time to create a mod. So please post information!

Another possibility however that I thought of is converting a phpbb2 mod to a phpbb3 mod. I talked to Peter about this as well, however he doesn't know if it would be easy, or a total re-write (so hoping experienced phpbb3 users can get more detail on this, or shed light on the possibilities). Thoughts on this?

So anyways basically anyone have a mod for a multi-quote button that is decent and is compatible with phpbb3, or will take the time to make one if Tip.It accepts this suggestion. Also, I'm not implying this will happen, just I think the majority of us do indeed want some form of this feature, correct? Any objections/concerns are still welcome though. ::'

EDIT: The lovely, and largely attractive Peter found a mod that could be used:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=683585

Discussion on that mod would be helpful. =)

As mentioned, the preview currently has a multi-quote post feature (obscurely placed I know since it took me a while to notice) although it doesn't have the functionality of the mod suggested. I'm just wondering what portion of multiquotes really need you to go past the 20 posts it shows in the preview. Maybe I just don't do the whole thing where I reply by breaking a post into 25 sections and replying to each so I wouldn't know how common this is.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

In three page topics there's usually been posts I'd like to have quoted but I don't. It's just too much time to go through each page, quote, and then look for scattered posts through 3 or more pages. It's a very large hassle.

Fair enough, consider me convinced. :P

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

The mod in the first post specifically doesn't do multiple pages and you'd be very hard pushed to find/create one that does. :roll:

Well wouldn't it be easier to modify that modification so that it does have the capability? As I think most of the work would be there to work off of. Just wondering if there would be anyone we could find who'd be able to do it.

It depends, of course, how the quote function and the quote mod work. I'm guessing that it uses PHP to store the post id data in $_Session (Or whatever the variable is called, I can never remember) or something, and the next time you press the "New post" or "Post reply" button, it outputs the contents of the post in seperate quote tags. If it did that, it would be relatively easy to make it work with several different threads.

I think. :uhh:

C2b6gs7.png

When you press the quote button at the moment it links to something like this :

You can see it passes the post ID as a get variable:

p=6010987

All it does it looks that post up in the database and print it with quote tags.

It would be very difficult to have it keep track of quotes across more than one page and integrate it with phpBB as it would have to store this data somewhere which it doesn't currently do. I don't have the time to work on modifying this to do that in the very limited use it would get and from such a small amount of users.

I've just read through this whole thread myself... I can say that, unlike 'the_tallest1', I'm really not convinced that this would be a good idea. :-k

Think about it a moment. What kind of abuse could end up happening? For example, if someone didn't read through the whole thread, or at least as much as they possibly could read, before they posted their thoughts. What if they didn't realize that they may share the same sentiments as another person, and therefore ended up posting something that made others think it was one person with 2 accounts? :-s

Long and short, I'd say this kind of item, either manually-coded or as a forum modification, is just a bad idea. :notalk:

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

(p.s.: the_tallest1, when did you return to the staff?!?!?)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Think about it a moment. What kind of abuse could end up happening? For example, if someone didn't read through the whole thread, or at least as much as they possibly could read, before they posted their thoughts. What if they didn't realize that they may share the same sentiments as another person, and therefore ended up posting something that made others think it was one person with 2 accounts? :-s

When reading someones reply to someones statement, you get many different thoughts coming from the reply. Like how serious they are sounding, their use of words, creative writing, and most of all the personality. Honestly if someone was using multiple accounts I'd think the majority of Off-Topic regulars could pin-point fairly accurately on what accounts it were. Even if one disagrees and another post agrees.

Regardless, disagreeing with someones statement has always been happening. Every single topic has at least 4 or more people disagreeing with one opinion for the same reasons, just worded differently. Multiple quote buttons isn't going to change this, as it's already happening, and will hopefully continue to happen. Look in any Off-Topic 4 page thread. You'll see that someone has posted something, and at least 4-6 others will have disagreed with it on the same basis or reasoning. And it's quite enjoyable to read how the same reasoning is worded differently or the approach to reaching the reasoning. So your example isn't really valid, unless I'm missing something else from it, which I don't think I am.

And on to the topic about abuse, this won't be abused, if someone is caught stacking 80 quotes, it's very easy to notice and get rid of. Even then, the forums I've been on with the multi-quote feature have had no issues at all with the function.

I agree. In fact, we should take away the whole quote function to prevent anyone doing that, it would take the forums to their graves.

:roll:

It happens anyway, everyday. I don't think that not implementing this will hurt it more.

C2b6gs7.png