Surgery -gulps-

bloodyhatchetbear

Ive had an operation before General anaesthetic is nothing to fear.

They will place a mask on you and you literally blink, and your in the recovery room.

It's nothing like sleeping or passing out where you know that time has passed. it's just an hour or two that simply disappear,

it's a strange experience to suddenly jump a few hours into the future but that's what it is like.

The guys doing the operation have had countless years of training and experience there is really nothing to worry about, despite what Hollywood might have you believe.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but for the toe ones, I remember the initial injections hurting a lot. And when he cut my toe open it bled like a mother.

i had the same thing. the first injections were really bad. he put the needle in and moved it round a bit (not sure if by accident or not) and it felt like it was like moving the strands of muscle inside my toe or something. it was really weird.

weird how i cant bend that toe as far as my other (no operated) on now. i can barely bend it at all, the joint next to my foot bends fine, but the one between the 2 parts of my toe just wont bend hardly at all. i can bend it with my hand but i don't feel like it, i think ill pop it out of joint or something.

EDIT: with a bit of experimenting i just worked out my middle toe joint still half works (but not very well). i just have to hold the one closest to my foot still and try bend my toe otherwise the one closest to my foot does all the bending

anyway back on topic: you will be fine. if you get a gas mask to put you out it couldn't be less painfull!

Just don't go? It's not that serious anyway, trust me I know a lot about medicine.

You have to be the biggest mong on these forums. :mrgreen:

iteme3721.jpg

Just don't go? It's not that serious anyway, trust me I know a lot about medicine.

Ignored the report about this but just thought to note that 4chan humor is old, transparent, and doesn't work on tip.it when done in every post.

Thanks for the words of support, guys. ^_^

My biggest fear is actually not waking up from the anesthesia. I know it's silly, but you never know :ohnoes:

Thanks for the words of support, guys. ^_^

My biggest fear is actually not waking up from the anesthesia. I know it's silly, but you never know :ohnoes:

I think anesthesia awareness sounds more scary personally. ;)

But seriously, there are tons of people that go under the knife everyday and you probably have more chance of winning the lottery than something wrong. :)

I get really shaky at the sight of blood. Good thing I'm not a doctor.

Never had a surgery before thankfully, but I had a friend who had his appendix removed in 4th grade. At that time we didn't know about anesthesia so we worshipped him like a god for going through all the pain of surgery while conscious. :oops:

The only thing I'd stress is to confirm with them before the operation begins that they're doing the right hip, right surgery, etc. My teacher was getting knee surgery and they were drawing the cutting points, etc on his knee. Problem is, they drew on the wrong knee. Good thing he wasn't under anesthesia yet, and told them before surgery began :ohnoes:

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Don't worry about it too much.

Although the most I've been in for was an endoscopy (I chose the numbing spray, I hate needles). That probably has to be the worst thing ever for me. Once its inside, its not so bad, unless you accidentally touch the camera with your tongue, but anyway, this has nothing to do with what you're going through.

My mate however, has had his appendix out. I think he still has the scar. Anyway, as I said, don't worry about it too much, the hours coming up to it will be worse than the operation. (And its not like you're going to be awake anyway)

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I get really shaky at the sight of blood. Good thing I'm not a doctor.

Never had a surgery before thankfully, but I had a friend who had his appendix removed in 4th grade. At that time we didn't know about anesthesia so we worshipped him like a god for going through all the pain of surgery while conscious. :oops:

The only thing I'd stress is to confirm with them before the operation begins that they're doing the right hip, right surgery, etc. My teacher was getting knee surgery and they were drawing the cutting points, etc on his knee. Problem is, they drew on the wrong knee. Good thing he wasn't under anesthesia yet, and told them before surgery began :ohnoes:

that reminds me of that House episode where it showed how he got his leg injury, and all 3 people including him that were getting surgery wrote "THIS LEG" In marker so they wouldn't lose thei good leg :XD:

Inb4 Lieutenant Daaaan ice creeeaaaam :thumbsup:

I never got surgery and don't know of any people who have, (they might have gotten surgery I just don't know) but I do know of a game to play while they give you the anesthetic. Try to stay awake as long as possible with sheer willpower. Think of it like, if you fall asleep...you die.

To the person above, when I heard endoscopy I thought it was the tube going in the other end... :shock: I would understand if you didn't want needles anywhere near your rear :?

Inb4 Lieutenant Daaaan ice creeeaaaam :thumbsup:

No you're not. First page.

Try and see if you can fight the anesthesia for as long as possible before going under. Just for fun.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Well, personnaly having been in 6 operations in the past to try to cure an infection I had to my right ear (The last being to reconstruct my ear), I can say you are way too stressed atm. It's normal to have some stress before the operation, but there's nothing at all to fear. You said you were afraid to not wake up? It's pretty impossible to not wake up from anestesia(sp?), since there are proffessionnals near you waiting along your side. Also, the chances of waking up during the operation are less than the chances of winning a lottery ticket. For example, the last operation was supposed to last 3 hours, but I was asleep for 6 hours instead, The operation had lasted 5 and a half hours since there was still some infection left and they had to clear it >.<.

You will be fine, in 6 operations I had, nothing went wrong. Well, exept for that last one, when I woke up, but my lungs weren't awake, so I had a hard time getting oxygen -> the nurse came and put an oxygen mask.

I truly feel your fear for surgery. In about a year I will have to have some kind of jaw surgery where they will crack my jaw and then move it forward, caue my overbite is extremely bad. Im scared to death already :ohnoes: . Good luck for you, I hope all goes well.

Okay, about hat jaw surgery, you just scared the hell out of me. I have an overbite, but my orthodontist said it can be corrected with braces...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

My younger brother is due for the overbite operation you're talking about. My understanding of it is that they'll break his jaw in a few places and then wire it into a corrective position. I'm sure it'll be awful for him, but dentists had been offering him braces for years - Teenage vanity I suppose.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

My younger brother is due for the overbite operation you're talking about. My understanding of it is that they'll break his jaw in a few places and then wire it into a corrective position. I'm sure it'll be awful for him, but dentists had been offering him braces for years - Teenage vanity I suppose.

Actaully, BhB's operation will take nowhere near the jaw...

And didnt your dentists warn your brother about the risks of not wearing braces?

And didnt your dentists warn your brother about the risks of not wearing braces?

I was referring to a post at the bottom of the previous page, which I really should have quoted to save confusion.

Of course the dentists warned my brother about how his overbite would worsen and would have been more easily corrected if he had gotten braces, but nobody really wants to wear braces and nobody made him.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

going under the anesthetic is a pretty cool experience. the doctor puts it over your nose and mouth, tells you to count to three, and before you even get to two you're out like a light. you'll wake up in what seems like a second.

remember, if you see a bright light, its just the operating lamp above you.

I had a tooth extraction under local anaesthetic... and I wish I'd been given general. I was so weak. :?

Trust me, you'll take the general anaesthetic, you'll go to sleep, you'll wake up and it'll be like a cure-all that hurts a bit afterwards. It seems to be a fairly simple procedure. You got nothing to worry about, although I can understand why you are so nervous.

I've under gone minor surgery to remove calcium deposits twice. It's awesome, I got the day off school, drank nothing but Sprite and Canada Dry all day, played xbox at the hospital. The anesthesia knocked me out cold in 10 seconds, I woke up 4 hours later after feeling no pain. Only thing is that the gas makes you a little woozy when you wake up.

I don't have a problem with surgery because I have very high trust in doctors.

jjroxlu7.jpg

I've under gone minor surgery to remove calcium deposits twice. It's awesome, I got the day off school, drank nothing but Sprite and Canada Dry all day, played xbox at the hospital. The anesthesia knocked me out cold in 10 seconds, I woke up 4 hours later after feeling no pain. Only thing is that the gas makes you a little woozy when you wake up.

I lol'ed

The only time you should trust doctors is if they know what they are doing and can diagnose properly, which doesn't happen often. If they can't diagnose something, they will say it's nothing and tell you to come back in a week to spend more money. My grandpa was bleeding out of multiple spots for no reason, and his doctor said it was nothing. I believe bleeding is not normal -.-

I lol'ed

The only time you should trust doctors is if they know what they are doing and can diagnose properly, which doesn't happen often. If they can't diagnose something, they will say it's nothing and tell you to come back in a week to spend more money. My grandpa was bleeding out of multiple spots for no reason, and his doctor said it was nothing. I believe bleeding is not normal -.-

Well, it all depends on the doctor. Usually (at least around here) a good doctor will send you for tests (blood, MRI, EKG) if they don't know what the problem is right off.

The surgeon that's gonna be operating on me is very trustable. He has a nice bedside manner, and was also highly recommended by my "aunt" (one of those family friends that isn't really related, but you've been calling them "aunt" or "uncle" for years) who had a back surgery done on her by this particular surgeon. They also had a pamphlet in the surgeon's office at the hospital about all the surgeons, saying where they went to school and did their residencies. This guy did his residency at Belleview, which is a highly recognized hospital.

I was referring to a post at the bottom of the previous page, which I really should have quoted to save confusion.

Of course the dentists warned my brother about how his overbite would worsen and would have been more easily corrected if he had gotten braces, but nobody really wants to wear braces and nobody made him.

Yeah, that is the operation I will be having. However, I have been trying to get braces for about 4 years, but orthodontists always told me to wait. -.-

lol'ed

To be honest, I think you see doctors the wrong way. Most of them are extremely competent at their job.

bloodyhatchetbear, if it helps, there's an entire specialty devoted to anesthesia. Just remember that you're in capable hands. You should be fine. :)